• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is terrain.bmp being used for Imperator? I assume it works same as in other titles, however it doesn't cover the whole map.

Is terrain.bmp being used for Imperator? I assume it works same as in other titles, however it doesn't cover the whole map.
Terrain.bmp is not in use, but Clausewitz gets cranky if it's not there, so it's safe to ignore and let it be. We'll probably be removing that file in the future, but we're prioritizing more important things for now.

Terrain type per province is set in
Code:
game\common\province_terrain

So I'm working on a mod with a new map, and I was wondering thats the bare minimum files I need open it up in the game?

I assume almost everything from game/map_data is needed. And things like terrain_types, province_terrain, from game/common. But there seems to be a lot of interconnected stuff and I personally think its much, much easier to work from a basic map instead of just text files.

Are bigger maps supported as of now? If not are there any plans for Livy?

I don't know that they are officially supported, but I've gone as big as 10000x7000 and the only issue was that adjacencies which display past a certain X value will cause a crash; otherwise everything else works.

How do you add city locators to newly created provinces? I've tried adding them manually but they still don't seem to show up on the map.

A question regarding the object locators.

They are supposed to generate on their own upon start-up whenever provinces do not have entries, right? And if that does not happen you can manually generate them via a series of commands while in -developer mode as outlined in this thread? What do you do if they do not generate on their own and the game crashes when opening the map (say, picking new game after start-up or starting the game with -mapeditor enabled) due to lacking said object locators, allowing you to generate them in neither of the two ways?

I even went through creating new locator positions for all my new provinces manually by picking coordinates out of provinces.bmp, but it still crashes citing the same errors (presumably due to the vanilla provinces missing locators (aka wasteland) ?). Error.txt file code below:

Code:
[06:43:48][dlc.cpp:210]: Invalid supported_version in  file: mod/ugc_1723076678.mod line: 5
[06:43:48][dlc.cpp:210]: Invalid supported_version in  file: mod/ugc_1723424498.mod line: 2
[06:44:37][gameobjectlocators.cpp:153]: map object locator "city" is incomplete!
[06:44:37][gameobjectlocators.cpp:153]: map object locator "fort" is incomplete!
[06:44:37][gameobjectlocators.cpp:153]: map object locator "unit_stack" is incomplete!
[06:44:37][gameobjectlocators.cpp:153]: map object locator "combat" is incomplete!
[06:44:37][gameobjectlocators.cpp:153]: map object locator "vfx" is incomplete!

Any pointer or hints are greatly appreciated!

For me it helped to delete the locator files in the original game directory. No idea why that was necessary, but I could properly generate the files after that.
Thank you, that did help. I could start the game properly again and reach the console to generate the locators. Big help!

Another question, how to define uninhabitable and impassable provinces? I must have searched this forum to death (but could of course have missed something) and the files as well, but no luck so far.

Thank you, that did help. I could start the game properly again and reach the console to generate the locators. Big help!

Another question, how to define uninhabitable and impassable provinces? I must have searched this forum to death (but could of course have missed something) and the files as well, but no luck so far.

That's handled in
Code:
\game\map_data\default.map

Either as a RANGE (define provid start and stop) or as single odd provinces in a LIST.

I find the instructions for provinces a bit lacking... If I want to make Provinces for a new map. is there anything else but the province.bmp I need to fiddle with? as of now I'm having crashing issues and the log is blank. when it last reported anything it said that the colors where wrong(not defined). I only use default colors since then and I have made numerous attempts, default map size and the heightmap is fine.

Anything else I need to look at?

I find the instructions for provinces a bit lacking... If I want to make Provinces for a new map. is there anything else but the province.bmp I need to fiddle with? as of now I'm having crashing issues and the log is blank. when it last reported anything it said that the colors where wrong(not defined). I only use default colors since then and I have made numerous attempts, default map size and the heightmap is fine.

Anything else I need to look at?

Make sure you draw provinces without anti alias since every color present in the document needs to be accounted for in \game\map_data\definition.csv

Make sure you draw provinces without anti alias since every color present in the document needs to be accounted for in \game\map_data\definition.csv
Thanks a lot.
also would there be a problem if I didn't use all the colors defined in the /definitions file? Say I forgot to draw a color in the province.bmp that was specified in the /definition.csv. would it cause a crash because of that do you think?

Hello there, @Wailot .

I can do a quick go-through of all the Script files that should/could be affected by adding a new province.

• provinces.bmp - Where you carve out a new province in the color you define in 'definition.csv'. (I believe it might crash if you have colors that have no entries in 'definition.csv'.)
  • definition.csv - This file shouldn't have any entries that aren't used. If it has an entry that it otherwise cannot find, things can get a tad wonky. (For the dev version, I believe it only pings an error if it cannot find the color of an entry, not actually crashing the game or anything like that.)
  • default.map - This is where you define things like wastelands, impassables, sea_zones etc.
  • province_setup.csv - This is where you define the setup of a province when the game starts, and you can see at the top what every field does and what it should look like.
  • setup.txt - If you are going to give a country a new province file, or otherwise give the province something at startup (special pops, buildings, etc).
  • areas.txt - Define an area for the province to be a part of.
  • regions.txt - Define a region for an area to be a part of.
  • climate.tx - Define a climate for the new province.
  • 00_province_terrain.txt - Define terrain for the new province. Otherwise it will default to Plains for land provinces, and Ocean for water provinces.
  • ports.csv - Define a port for your new province, if you want one of those.
  • locators:
    • city_locators.txt - Define where cities will be located in a province.
    • unit_stack_locators.txt - Define where a unit stack (when a unit just stands around in a province) will be located in a province.
    • combat_locators.txt - Define where a combat (when a combat takes place in the province) will be located in a province.
    • fort_locators.txt - Define where a fort will be located in a province.
    • port_locators.txt - Define where a port will be located, if your new province should have one of those.
    • animal_locators.txt - Define where seagulls will be located. The most important of all the locators.
    • vfx_locators.txt - This a VFX locator that is put in the center of every province, I believe it is used for some sound and/or animation effects?
  • localization - There isn't a special file you need to use here, I think. As long as you remember to just add all the loc needed for your new province (province name, area name if you make a new area for it, etc).

I think these are all the files affected one way or another.

Hello there, @Wailot .

I can do a quick go-through of all the Script files that should/could be affected by adding a new province.

• provinces.bmp - Where you carve out a new province in the color you define in 'definition.csv'. (I believe it might crash if you have colors that have no entries in 'definition.csv'.)
  • definition.csv - This file shouldn't have any entries that aren't used. If it has an entry that it otherwise cannot find, things can get a tad wonky. (For the dev version, I believe it only pings an error if it cannot find the color of an entry, not actually crashing the game or anything like that.)
  • default.map - This is where you define things like wastelands, impassables, sea_zones etc.
  • province_setup.csv - This is where you define the setup of a province when the game starts, and you can see at the top what every field does and what it should look like.
  • setup.txt - If you are going to give a country a new province file, or otherwise give the province something at startup (special pops, buildings, etc).
  • areas.txt - Define an area for the province to be a part of.
  • regions.txt - Define a region for an area to be a part of.
  • climate.tx - Define a climate for the new province.
  • 00_province_terrain.txt - Define terrain for the new province. Otherwise it will default to Plains for land provinces, and Ocean for water provinces.
  • ports.csv - Define a port for your new province, if you want one of those.
  • locators:
    • city_locators.txt - Define where cities will be located in a province.
    • unit_stack_locators.txt - Define where a unit stack (when a unit just stands around in a province) will be located in a province.
    • combat_locators.txt - Define where a combat (when a combat takes place in the province) will be located in a province.
    • fort_locators.txt - Define where a fort will be located in a province.
    • port_locators.txt - Define where a port will be located, if your new province should have one of those.
    • animal_locators.txt - Define where seagulls will be located. The most important of all the locators.
    • vfx_locators.txt - This a VFX locator that is put in the center of every province, I believe it is used for some sound and/or animation effects?
  • localization - There isn't a special file you need to use here, I think. As long as you remember to just add all the loc needed for your new province (province name, area name if you make a new area for it, etc).

I think these are all the files affected one way or another.

Snow Crystal, please give information about road modding (file roads.roads.).