• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Think that advice is worthy of being added to the list in the original post for sure! Thanks for saving me so many future headaches haha

Incidentally, I'm working on a LOTR mod and I love your Isengard! Watch this modding space tomorrow or on Tuesday, we've made great progress and will be posting something shortly :)

Turns out it was our fault, we had added some new provinces without updating the locator files :)

So for everyone else making new provinces and finding that the map editor suddenly crashes with a fort-related issue in the crashes/x date/exceptions.txt file, make sure to regenerate the locator files each time you add new provinces.

I have this issue but with ports. What exactly did you do to fix this? I can't get into the editor with my edited province data to do any regeneration.

Make sure you're using indexed colours, you can set this here:

Below where you set Indexed Colour, check your colour table and make sure it looks like this:

The easiest way to do this is to just make a copy of the vanilla version and edit that directly rather than starting right from scratch, it ensures nothing weird happens :)
Thanks for the second advice, it somehow works now even though I am doing the same. I must have done something wrong when making a new file or whatever.

Examine the rivers, and the error log under documents/paradoxinteractive/imperator.

A couple of rules about rivers.bmp:
  • Diverged rivers cannot rejoin with red dot, this causes errors.

Is there any chance this will change? While the map maker(s?) did their best, it still looks quite ugly in the areas that contain big river islands like the Low Countries and the Middle/Lower Danube.

Is there any chance this will change? While the map maker(s?) did their best, it still looks quite ugly in the areas that contain big river islands like the Low Countries and the Middle/Lower Danube.

Not in the foreseeable future, we'd need to do some major changes to the river system (which also comes with the risk of breaking things). It's something we want to improve upon, but for now the system will work as it does.

Theoretically, could you use this to make a more informed map and drag it into other pdx games? (if it exports the same base heightmap.bmp and rivers.bmp ?)
And vice versa? Could you upload an existing custom map with all the files onto this?

Theoretically, could you use this to make a more informed map and drag it into other pdx games? (if it exports the same base heightmap.bmp and rivers.bmp ?)
And vice versa? Could you upload an existing custom map with all the files onto this?

Short Answer: Theoretically yes

The way texture masks work may differ, but for the heightmap.bmp you certainly should be able to. Map polygon resolution may differ though.

Will you add city making into map editor. It gets tedious trying to line up cities with the shore or certain terrain types

It should be handled by the game itself, uncolonized provinces you need to rightclick to show all locators in map object mode.

If you changed the province layout you need to reset those instances.
  • Go to game/gfx/map/mapobjects/city_locators.txt and remove the relevant instances from the document. Leave any code not related to the instances be.
  • On next start the game will generate new ones in the provinces that are missing city instances.
  • Go to documents/paradoxinteractive/imperator/generated
  • In that folder there should be a new file containing the new regenerated data, with cities in the center of their provinces.

Oops. I meant provinces and editing province.bmp. I used the term city cause that's what they're called in IR.
Ah, mixed them together myself there, yes sadly we dont have that functionality yet. But rest assured as someone whos using the tool for work, i want it and am pushing for it too.

Last edited:
What ever happened to the Nudge tool in HoI IV that made province and state creation much easier?

What ever happened to the Nudge tool in HoI IV that made province and state creation much easier?
The nudge tool wasnt directly portable to jomini, but I believe we have been working on another tool that can be used for setting province data akin to tradegoods, cultures, religion and so on. you can reach it by inputing:
Code:
setup_editor
You may need to be in -develop mode for it to initialize.

I've been trying to create a mod to change some camera settings, like edge scrolling and FOV. I found "00_graphics.txt" in common\defines\graphic, and I've tried changing several variables under NCamera, but nothing seems to work. If I edit 00_graphics.txt in the game files, everything works as I would expect. What am I doing wrong? Mod mod looks like this:
NCamera = {
EDGE_SCROLLING_PIXELS = 0
}
It's in (modname)\defines\graphic\(modname).txt
Why does it do nothing

I've been trying to create a mod to change some camera settings, like edge scrolling and FOV. I found "00_graphics.txt" in common\defines\graphic, and I've tried changing several variables under NCamera, but nothing seems to work. If I edit 00_graphics.txt in the game files, everything works as I would expect. What am I doing wrong? Mod mod looks like this:
NCamera = {
EDGE_SCROLLING_PIXELS = 0
}
It's in (modname)\defines\graphic\(modname).txt
Why does it do nothing
Defines are currently un-moddable, due to being loaded after the mods, they overwrite your changes.

We're working on a future fix for this, it'll be coming in 1.1 Pompey most probably.

I've only dabbled with small personal mods before, and never map modded before. How technical is it to simply add Scandinavia to the game, and put some tribes up there? Is it a ton of work, or is it fairly simple?