• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

chuckmr

Private
1 Badges
Jan 17, 2021
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
I originally asked this question on the Steam forums, and it was suggested I post here as well. So....

I would like to change the suez canal into something like the Kiel canal and make the sea zone block via province 900 go away. Is this possible in AOD, and if so, how? I tried modifying adj-defs.csv to make it the same as the Kiel Canal, and commented out the original canal definition there. This did not make the old behaviour go away--just added a new one. If you look into the geography, the way AOD handles Suez out of the box is absurd. The canal iwas 160km long even in those days (now 190ish) and a WW2 era fleet even with carriers at both ends could not have prevented land forces crossing if they were determined to do so--it's only 200m wide!

If this has changed in later patches, is there any way to retrofit it to 1.8? I tried either v1.10 or 1.11, I forget which, and didn't much care for it and would like to stick to 1.08 if possible.
If it is not currently possible, is this on the wish list?

Thank you,
Charles

If this has changed in later patches, is there any way to retrofit it to 1.8? I tried either v1.10 or 1.11, I forget which, and didn't much care for it and would like to stick to 1.08 if possible.
If it is not currently possible, is this on the wish list?
The 1.14 release (current release being worked on is the 1.13) will be the "map" release. In the 1.14 release the canals and straits will be redone, with some new ones added (Straits of Hormuz and Bangka Strait).

As for getting the Suez to work like Kiel, you might want to IM

Nick3210

since he has done what you want to do in DH. Not sure if it will work in AoD or not. If he can't help you, I can look into the AOD game code and see if there's anything "hardcoded" there.

Long delay updating this...been busy with other stuff!
If anyone is interested, Nick3210 was very helpful and it only required a one line change to adj-defs.csv, rather than deleting the line, viz:

900;901;River;0;Across Suez Channel

By redefining this as a river, which I feel is completely reasonable, a unit located in Suez will still block naval transit through the canal but only has a river defensive bonus, and this is exactly the behaviour I was after.

• 2Like
Reactions: