• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Talvos

First Lieutenant
69 Badges
Mar 23, 2009
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Current Version (should be compatible with all future patches unless there is a vanilla map change) :
3.2.x (Iron Century) download (November 14, 2019): here
2.8.x (Tibet) download (December 04, 2017): here
Pre-Tibet download (April 27 2016 v2): here

This mod should not need updating unless a change is made to the vanilla map.

This map mod is created using geographic data presented in a Lambert conformal conic projection. I know there have been other mods which use geographic data, however I do not like the boundaries or the projections used.

My goals for this map were to:
• not enlarge the northernmost latitudes anymore than needed (I don't like massive provinces)
• not allow western Europe to be extremely small (provinces too small to click are not good)
• include more of Africa to allow the Mali and Ethiopia regions to be properly represented (and not just on the map boundary)
• not go too far into China (the map curves unreasonably there, as well as I have no intention of including Chinese provinces)
• make the projection aesthetically pleasing (at least to my eyes)
• not have massive major rivers - they are not at 'sea level', and are represented by actual rivers in game.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
TM Basic Map is as close to Vanilla as I'm willing to make this map. This means that I have not edited landed_titles, trade_routes, history, etc. It only modifies the map. I ensured that de jure duchies were not geographically split. Because of this, some provinces are in historically the wrong place, but fixing that is not a goal for this map version.

screenshot:
mCrD6mT.png

The changes from Vanilla are:
• The Danube/Elbe/Vistula have been dramatically shortened, with those provinces going towards:
• Some new lake and sea provinces, and some impassable border regions.

Unzip in your \Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\ folder, as usual for mods.

In the future, if CK2 gets the ability to draw water at different heights in different locations ala EU4, I'll make use of that.

I do not plan on making any substantial changes to this map version. If there are errant pixels, or positions are horribly wrong, I'll fix those. Just leave a comment.

Everyone can use these maps in their own projects, I just ask that you add a reference/thanks to this mod, and first post here your intent on using it and a short description on how you plan on using it. I'm curious, and I may be able to provide a little help.

Attachments

• 20160427113517_1.jpg
    20160427113517_1.jpg
    761,5 KB · Views: 2.402
  • 20160427113601_1.jpg
    20160427113601_1.jpg
    881,8 KB · Views: 2.430
  • 20160427115255_1.jpg
    20160427115255_1.jpg
    682,2 KB · Views: 2.087
Last edited:
Reactions:
Looks pretty, I'm going to try it out when I find the time :)

Hello,
Thanks for your map, it is beautiful.
Originally, I want to play with IBL map but loading a save game currently makes CK2 crash (at least for me) (as well as resigning on my computer). So I downloaded the IBL version of your map, to see if this works with your version.
I tried it 2 ways:

- By only enabling your map (IBL version), but without enabling IBL original map mod. I guess what I got there was your original map. The moutains are very nice, the Danube is shortened as described, the projection of the coordinates feels strange but actually, this is quite nice. The Uzbekistan, Afghanistan (etc)'s deserts are wasteland, as in the original IBL map. I noticed a strange thing tho; there are 3 suomenusko Yugra provinces around Samarkand (Old Gods start)... I guess this is not intended. This makes me wonder which are the differences with the orginal IBL map in terms of realms (names, counties included in each realms, vassals...), especially in north africa, middle east and central asia. The trade routes are also strange (the African trade routes are fine but some parts of the silk road make no sense)...
It feels like the game does not understand how the provinces were displaced by your mod and the provinces and realms are reorganized by Elvain's mod.
However, good new for this map: loading saved games and resigning work perfectly

-By enabling both you map (IBL version) and the original IBL map mod (as you tell to do so in your decription), I have the feeling that your work does not show and that only the IBL map mode work. It seems like exactly the original IBL map. The Danube is not really shortened (at least there is a very long major river), Mongolia is identical to IBL map, the trade routes are as originally intended by Elvain (with no strange detours). Well, I guess IBL map mod has complete precedence over your mod... maybe a problem of version... of the fact the IBL is still in Alpha
When using this configuration, I cannot load saved games.

I wonder whether the good way to make the mod work is the first (without enabling IBL map mod).
Anyways I really like this project of yours, especially in combination of Elvain's work. Your map is very pretty (even with the classic version ^^... I'll see if I have the time to play actually it).

Hello,
Thanks for your map, it is beautiful.
Originally, I want to play with IBL map but loading a save game currently makes CK2 crash (at least for me) (as well as resigning on my computer). So I downloaded the IBL version of your map, to see if this works with your version.
I tried it 2 ways:

- By only enabling your map (IBL version), but without enabling IBL original map mod. I guess what I got there was your original map. The moutains are very nice, the Danube is shortened as described, the projection of the coordinates feels strange but actually, this is quite nice. The Uzbekistan, Afghanistan (etc)'s deserts are wasteland, as in the original IBL map. I noticed a strange thing tho; there are 3 suomenusko Yugra provinces around Samarkand (Old Gods start)... I guess this is not intended. This makes me wonder which are the differences with the orginal IBL map in terms of realms (names, counties included in each realms, vassals...), especially in north africa, middle east and central asia. The trade routes are also strange (the African trade routes are fine but some parts of the silk road make no sense)...
It feels like the game does not understand how the provinces were displaced by your mod and the provinces and realms are reorganized by Elvain's mod.
However, good new for this map: loading saved games and resigning work perfectly

-By enabling both you map (IBL version) and the original IBL map mod (as you tell to do so in your decription), I have the feeling that your work does not show and that only the IBL map mode work. It seems like exactly the original IBL map. The Danube is not really shortened (at least there is a very long major river), Mongolia is identical to IBL map, the trade routes are as originally intended by Elvain (with no strange detours). Well, I guess IBL map mod has complete precedence over your mod... maybe a problem of version... of the fact the IBL is still in Alpha
When using this configuration, I cannot load saved games.

I wonder whether the good way to make the mod work is the first (without enabling IBL map mod).
Anyways I really like this project of yours, especially in combination of Elvain's work. Your map is very pretty (even with the classic version ^^... I'll see if I have the time to play actually it).

The problems you describe sound like you have my basic version enabled. I just tried by downloading my IBL version and Elvain's mod, and it worked fine for me. I have two versions in my first post. The basic version for vanilla, and the IBL version (Link is also above: TM IBL Map).

Last edited:
No this is not that.
I also tried your basic version (which works perfectly fine). For instance, the basic version does not have any wasteland desert around the Aral Sea nor in Iran. There are less African provinces too. (the only thing which feels strange is that the mountain lakes, for instance in Armenia, are weirdly deep but maybe this is a technical limitation... this is a very minor issue)

When only activating the TM IBL map: I got the features described above (for instance wasteland deserts and african provinces) with the bugs I describe. I also got a graphical improvement of the rivers and mountains as in the basic version of your map. And the map on the main menu is dislayed from farther. The Danube is shortened

When activating TM IBL map + Elvain's IBL map mod: The map on the main menu is displayed from the same distance as in vanilla (same than in Elvain's IBL), I got no graphical improvements of mountains and rivers, the Danube is still a major river on sea level in Bavaria.
It seems like, on my computer, only Elvain's IBL mod is loaded.

the only thing which feels strange is that the mountain lakes, for instance in Armenia, are weirdly deep but maybe this is a technical limitation... this is a very minor issue.
That's due to CK2's engine only being able to draw water at one height. If CK2 gets from EU4 the ability to draw water at different height's, then I'll fix that.

When activating TM IBL map + Elvain's IBL map mod: The map on the main menu is displayed from the same distance as in vanilla (same than in Elvain's IBL), I got no graphical improvements of mountains and rivers, the Danube is still a major river on sea level in Bavaria.
It seems like, on my computer, only Elvain's IBL mod is loaded.

Ok I think I found the issue - assuming you are using Elvain's steam version. Elvain's dropbox version is titled "Ibn Battutah's Legacy - map improvement of Islamic world", whereas his steam version is titled "Ibn Battutah's Legacy - map improvement for CK". My mod looks for the former as a dependent mod. To fix this, edit TM IBL Map.mod with notepad from

Code:
name = "TM IBL Map"
path = "mod/TM IBL Map"

dependencies = { "Ibn Battutah's Legacy - map improvement of Islamic world" }
to
Code:
name = "TM IBL Map"
path = "mod/TM IBL Map"

dependencies = { "Ibn Battutah's Legacy - map improvement for CK" }

and then you should be good.

OK, now it works as you intended it to work ^^
Thanks for the fix.
There is no Yugra near Samarkand, nor strange silk road trails anymore. So this is fine.

Except that loading saves still make the game crash on my computer (same as for Elvain's mod alone), so I cannot play this map currently. I'll be patient.
Very nice piece of work tho ^_^

Hello again,

I tried the basic version of the mod on my current mongol game because I really love how the mountains look; this makes Persia and Pakistan look so much better (although I'm not fond of seeing Kara-Korum at the same level as the northern Russian provinces... but I guess that it is a matter of curvature of the Earth and stuff like that... I guess this is just a matter of being accustomed to that... plus there are already so much distortions at these locations of the vanilla map).

Anyways, I just wanted to report that I wasn't able to bring my boats in the last three sea tiles in India (far East, near the Buddhist states). The cursor showed a red cross. This is not a big problem if you don' t play one of these states tho.

Hello again,

I tried the basic version of the mod on my current mongol game because I really love how the mountains look; this makes Persia and Pakistan look so much better (although I'm not fond of seeing Kara-Korum at the same level as the northern Russian provinces... but I guess that it is a matter of curvature of the Earth and stuff like that... I guess this is just a matter of being accustomed to that... plus there are already so much distortions at these locations of the vanilla map).

Anyways, I just wanted to report that I wasn't able to bring my boats in the last three sea tiles in India (far East, near the Buddhist states). The cursor showed a red cross. This is not a big problem if you don' t play one of these states tho.

Thanks, I've made a fix and updated the link. Only one file needed to be changed, so you can download that from this post. Put default.map into \TM Basic Map\map\, and overwrite the file there.

Attachments

• tm basic map fix.zip
    1 KB · Views: 16
Excellent map
Thanks!
I'm surely going to implement it.
Do you mean in your mod? I'm fine with others using my map as long as they give credit. Looking quickly at your mod description though, if you haven't modified any of the map files that I have it may just be better to enable both mods at once. That way you'd get any fixes (if there are any) that I make, and your mod size would drastically decrease (quicker download times between each of your releases).

Of course you're free to implement it, just giving a suggestion.

I'll have to edit your map somewhat to fit what I need (The provinces along the Rhine and Danube need to follow the rivers), but I've already added you to my credits list.

Do you mean incorrect province placements (like Cologne) or what?
Yes, I mean all provinces. Especially Middle East, Transoxiana, Caucasia (Azerbaijan, Derbent,Alania) and Balkan, I like it.

Additional: Danube (Wallachia).

Last edited:
Yes, I mean all provinces. Especially Middle East, Transoxiana, Caucasia (Azerbaijan, Derbent,Alania) and Balkan, I like it.

Additional: Danube (Wallachia).

I may at a later point post my own modded version which adds a number of new provinces, moves provinces to more historically accurate locations, and change the de jure set up a bit. I still need to fix some things with it, which is why that one is not posted.

I wanted to keep my basic version relatively close to vanilla. That is why, while there are some changes (the major rivers, northern Scandinavia), the provinces and de jure setup themselves are not changed.

Landmarks added by Conclave (or was it Horse Lords?) are a bit off. Hadrian's Wall and Aix-la-Chapelle are in the middle of the Atlantic, the fort of Koënigsberg is in the coast of Frisia, the Pyramids and Petra are in the Libyan Desert and the Indian Monument is in the Indian Ocean. Also, I've been getting random crashes with the mod, I'm using BLG and Cultural Cities mods togheter with the map.

Landmarks added by Conclave (or was it Horse Lords?) are a bit off. Hadrian's Wall and Aix-la-Chapelle are in the middle of the Atlantic, the fort of Koënigsberg is in the coast of Frisia, the Pyramids and Petra are in the Libyan Desert and the Indian Monument is in the Indian Ocean.

I think those came in Conclave - which I don't yet have. I didn't even know that those were made a thing in CK2! I don't see those objects defined in the vanilla files, so they must be in the dlc file (which I don't have), so I can't fix those for you.

If you just wanted to remove or fix them yourself, you'll have to look in your own \Crusader Kings II\DLC\dlc062.zip OR dlc063.zip (I think they'd be in one of those), and in that zip file check \map\static\. If a file exists there, copy it to my map mod folder, and into the corresponding folder: \map\static\ (you'll need to make the static folder). Either make that file blank (to overwrite the objects), or enter a coordinate either manually or (possibly) using the Nudge tool.

Also, I've been getting random crashes with the mod, I'm using BLG and Cultural Cities mods togheter with the map.

Those mods shouldn't be conflicting. If you look in \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\logs\exceptions.log, what is the error for your latest crash? I've got a DIVIDE BY ZERO error before after I've added new provinces, but I figured it was due to the new provinces - and so not in my basic version.

Those mods shouldn't be conflicting. If you look in \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\logs\exceptions.log, what is the error for your latest crash? I've got a DIVIDE BY ZERO error before after I've added new provinces, but I figured it was due to the new provinces - and so not in my basic version.

This is what I've got.

Code:
######## EXCEPTION: 0xC0000094 at address: 0x01E184CB: INT DIVIDE BY ZERO 
Version: CK2/branches/2_5_2

06/13/16 22:34:05
f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\SELF_X86\crt\src\INTEL\lldiv.asm(121) +0 bytes (_alldiv)
c:\jenkins\workspace\ck2-live-r-steam-windows\ck2\source\ai_king.cpp(4464) +17 bytes (CAIKing::UpdateMilitaryCampaigns)
c:\jenkins\workspace\ck2-live-r-steam-windows\ck2\source\gamestate.cpp(2858) +0 bytes (CGameState::DailyUpdate)
c:\jenkins\workspace\ck2-live-r-steam-windows\ck2\source\gamestate.cpp(2308) +0 bytes (CGameState::HandleDailyTick)
c:\jenkins\workspace\ck2-live-r-steam-windows\ck2\source\timercommands.cpp(44) +0 bytes (CDailyTickCommand::Execute)
c:\jenkins\workspace\ck2-live-r-steam-windows\ck2\source\ck_application.cpp(1336) +0 bytes (CCKApplication::Update)
c:\jenkins\workspace\ck2-live-r-steam-windows\ck2\source\eu3idler.cpp(3454) +11 bytes (CInGameIdler::Idle)
c:\jenkins\workspace\ck2-live-r-steam-windows\clausewitzii\clausewitzlib\application.cpp(431) +0 bytes (CApplication::UpdateOneFrame)
c:\jenkins\workspace\ck2-live-r-steam-windows\clausewitzii\clausewitzlib\application.cpp(505) +8 bytes (CApplication::Run)
c:\jenkins\workspace\ck2-live-r-steam-windows\ck2\source\main.cpp(537) +0 bytes (SDL_main)
c:\users\rikard.aslund\desktop\external_libs\sdl-1.3.0\src\main\windows\sdl_windows_main.c(145) +13 bytes (main)
c:\users\rikard.aslund\desktop\external_libs\sdl-1.3.0\src\main\windows\sdl_windows_main.c(202) +7 bytes (WinMain)
f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\src\crt0.c(275) +28 bytes (__tmainCRTStartup)