• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question:
Do you know where Beresty (Brześć Litewski) actually is - and where it should be in your mod?

Hint:
Check the Bug river...

And as I see you created such big Sandomierz province (as it actually was, but it's little annoying in the game), maybe you should consider to split it and add some new province. Lublin would be nice, as something like that.

Last edited:
Question:
Do you know where Beresty (Brześć Litewski) actually is - and where it should be in your mod?

Hint:
Check the Bug river...

And as I see you created such big Sandomierz province (as it actually was, but it's little annoying in the game), maybe you should consider to split it and add some new province. Lublin would be nice, as something like that.

that wasn't very friendly put

that wasn't very friendly put

I didn't mean to make it friendly or not. I only give an advice, because I'd like to help some. But not as the pure fact, but as some riddle to solve.

There are two elements in this suggestion: 1) Bug is too short, and 2) Beresty is too far from it. You can see it if you check the real map. It should be included while modifying the map in this area.

This map has some good concepts (Neumark, Czersk moved north, splitted Brandenburg, bigger Kujawy) and well made parts of the map (Bohemia, Bavaria/Austria). There's a very nice try to rework Poland, but still not the best it could be (Stettin seems to be too big/long - would try to split and give Slupsk back). Should also think more about Ruthenia - started, so it needs to be finished.

There are few parts of the map I just don't like (Lubusz and Silesia, Hungary) - those look better in vanilla for me.

CK2 map is bad from it's CK1 beginnings, seems hard to rework it when there are so much shortcomings.

Last edited:
There are few parts of the map I just don't like (Lubusz and Silesia, Hungary) - those look better in vanilla for me.

Silesia is strange (Why is Opava outside of it? It should probably be Ostrava instead ...) indeed, with really head-scratching naming (come on, it's not that hard, just pick the biggest duchies existing there as names: Wroclaw, Opole, Legnica, Glogow, Racibusz, Opawa, Zagan, Cieszyn, Jawor, roughly in that order and depending on how many counties you'd like to have), but Lubusz? That's just going slightly too far east and not far enough south, but that's an optical problem - it doesn't affect the county "connectivity" in this area, nor strategic things like river crossings.

Why is Opava outside of it? It should probably be Ostrava instead ...

Actually it's good enough - this area wasn't polish in 1066.

just pick the biggest duchies existing there as names: Wroclaw, Opole, Legnica, Glogow, Racibusz, Opawa, Zagan, Cieszyn, Jawor

Best would be (west -> east): Glogow (north) and Legnica (south), Wroclaw, Opole, Opava, Upper Silesia (Cieszyn don't need to be an independent county, could be a barony instead).

IMO, the best map for Silesia is here.

I'll contribute with the only area I know anything about, Switzerland ;).

As a source, I would suggest this map from the German Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Schweiz_Frühmia_Adel.svg

It shows the distribution about 1200, so some research would be necessary for a 1066 start. It's tricky, because in 1066 many of the areas covered by counties didn't really have any central authority, especially outside the Duchy of Swabia.

This would translate roughly to the following seven provinces:

Vaud (the western Savoyard holdings, in dark red)
Wallis (an independent Bishopric)
Bern (controlled by the von Zähringen, in green)
Aargau (controlled by the Habsburgs, in light red - there's no real unifiying name for this area, but Aargau is a nice comprompise)
St. Gallen (controlled by the Kyburgers, a local dynasty. In yellow)
Schwyz (an independent county in the center, probably a republic in 1200, don't know about earlier, really)
Chur (an independent bishopric)

As you can see, this would be more of a shuffling around of provinces, the names mostly stay the same.
Oh yes, and Grisons is really strange (was in CK1, too). Intuitively, I would understand Grisons as the part of modern Grisons not controlled by the Bishop of Chur (which was substantial), but it's location and being part of Lombardy suggest that it's meant to be the Ticino (which would make sense as well). I do suggest the later: rename it to Ticino, change the CoA to this (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellinzona - the CoA of Ticino was created in the 18th century).

I'll contribute with the only area I know anything about, Switzerland ;).

As a source, I would suggest this map from the German Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Schweiz_Frühmia_Adel.svg

It shows the distribution about 1200, so some research would be necessary for a 1066 start. It's tricky, because in 1066 many of the areas covered by counties didn't really have any central authority, especially outside the Duchy of Swabia.

This would translate roughly to the following seven provinces:

Vaud (the western Savoyard holdings, in dark red)
Wallis (an independent Bishopric)
Bern (controlled by the von Zähringen, in green)
Aargau (controlled by the Habsburgs, in light red - there's no real unifiying name for this area, but Aargau is a nice comprompise)
St. Gallen (controlled by the Kyburgers, a local dynasty. In yellow)
Schwyz (an independent county in the center, probably a republic in 1200, don't know about earlier, really)
Chur (an independent bishopric)

As you can see, this would be more of a shuffling around of provinces, the names mostly stay the same.
Oh yes, and Grisons is really strange (was in CK1, too). Intuitively, I would understand Grisons as the part of modern Grisons not controlled by the Bishop of Chur (which was substantial), but it's location and being part of Lombardy suggest that it's meant to be the Ticino (which would make sense as well). I do suggest the later: rename it to Ticino, change the CoA to this (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellinzona - the CoA of Ticino was created in the 18th century).

creating Vaud should reduce Neuchatel to a really insignificant county (less than 25% of the size on vanilla map). Vaud was mainly a bishopric so un-playable.
Bern always bugged me as it was a city founded after 1200... no real solution here.
Grisons in is fact a real UFO : geographicaly it is Grisons, with german culture, but de jure par of Italy and Lumbardia as if it was Ticino (Ticino as being de jure Italy is arguable too..), the baronnies except capital are are italian. A bit confusing.
I personnaly modded it to be 100% Grisons.

This gives that
Code:
PROV246;Grischun;Grischun;Grischun;;Grischun;;;;;;;;;x
c_grisons_adj;Grischun;Grischun;Grischun;;Grischun;;;;;;;;;x
b_bellinzona;Illanz;Illanz;Illanz;;Illanz;;;;;;;;;x
b_disentis;Disentis;Disentis;Disentis;;Disentis;;;;;;;;;x
b_locarno;Laax;Laax;Laax;;Laax;;;;;;;;;x
b_biasca;Splügen;Splügen;Splügen;;Splügen;;;;;;;;;x
b_domo;Flims;Flims;Flims;;Flims;;;;;;;;;x
b_lugano;Thusis;Thusis;Thusis;;Thusis;;;;;;;;;x
b_musso;Cumbel;Cumbel;Cumbel;;Cumbel;;;;;;;;;x
b_mendrisio;Mesocco;Mesocco;Mesocco;;Mesocco;;;;;;;;;x
PROV247;Chur;Chur;Chur;;Coira;;;;;;;;;x
c_chur;Churian;Chur;Churischer;;Coiranés;;;;;;;;;x
b_illanz;San Murezzan;San Murezzan;San Murezzan;;San Murezzan;;;;;;;;;x
b_thusis;Scuol;Scuol;Scuol;;Scuol;;;;;;;;;x
not excatly accurate but definetly cleaner. Indeed italian sounding name are Romansh ones.

as for Coa I used one of those here

creating Vaud should reduce Neuchatel to a really insignificant county (less than 25% of the size on vanilla map). Vaud was mainly a bishopric so un-playable.

Well, I intended it mainly to represent Zähringen holdings, not the bishopric. I didn't mean to split it, only renaming, for the same reason you don't like Berne; Neauchatel wasn't really significant until the thirteenth century or so. There's really no big reason not to just keep it then.

Bern always bugged me as it was a city founded after 1200... no real solution here.

True...

Grisons in is fact a real UFO : geographicaly it is Grisons, with german culture, but de jure par of Italy and Lumbardia as if it was Ticino (Ticino as being de jure Italy is arguable too..), the baronnies except capital are are italian. A bit confusing.

It's only in the right geographical location in the mod, actually. In vanilla, it's right where Ticino would be (a bit too far north, actually, but it was clearly intended to represent that).
And even in the mod, I don't think it really fits. It should not only include the Grey League, but also the Ten Jurisdictions. Actually, I'm not sure it should be separate from Chur at all. All the Leagues only developed after the power of the bishop waned, so they would actually be in more or less the same place.

On the other hand, I definitely think we could make a case for a province Ticino. It doesn't make sense for Lombardy to extend that far north. Actually, we could make Ticino begin under the control of Chur, and have it be taken over by Lombardy around 1350 or so.

Are you sure you posted the modded baronies for Grisons? They look the same as in vanilla to me ;).

Here's a sketch of how I'd envisioned the setup:

Countis_SWI.jpg

Ignore the actual borders; it's made from the vanilla map, this is meant only as a rough sketch of how the counties would be located relative to each other.

Actually, renaming Berne to Neauchatel would be an idea, hm.

I don't mind making a playable county into an unplayable Bishopric, BTW. Bishops have their own interesting mechanics for their lieges, and there are plenty of playable counts in the area. In face, I've noticed that Switzerland has really tiny counties compared to the rest of Europe. This might be a problem, actually - the area was dirt poor, and I'd think small counties result in more money, especially because they all have three holdings in them, the same as everyone else...

Well, I intended it mainly to represent Zähringen holdings, not the bishopric. I didn't mean to split it, only renaming, for the same reason you don't like Berne; Neauchatel wasn't really significant until the thirteenth century or so. There's really no big reason not to just keep it then.

It's only in the right geographical location in the mod, actually. In vanilla, it's right where Ticino would be (a bit too far north, actually, but it was clearly intended to represent that).
And even in the mod, I don't think it really fits. It should not only include the Grey League, but also the Ten Jurisdictions. Actually, I'm not sure it should be separate from Chur at all. All the Leagues only developed after the power of the bishop waned, so they would actually be in more or less the same place.

On the other hand, I definitely think we could make a case for a province Ticino. It doesn't make sense for Lombardy to extend that far north. Actually, we could make Ticino begin under the control of Chur, and have it be taken over by Lombardy around 1350 or so.

Are you sure you posted the modded baronies for Grisons? They look the same as in vanilla to me ;).

-first Neuchâtel count rules since 1034. His house ruled over the region until 1395, so it is correct to have it in the game IMO.
-Grisons. didn't noticed it on the map, was talking about vanilla. This way, it is actually Ticino. This region was conquered (since 1440) by swiss confederacy and never go back to Italia or Lumbardia. If some de jure Swiss is set in the mod, it should belong to it.
-big Chur province in the mod includes Ten juridictions indeed (3 leagues).
-yes baronies are modded : not the TAG, it is changed through localisation only.

Valais going so further north is not ok, this extra area should belong to Schwytz.
Not sure Sankt-gallen have to rule over Vorarlberg in the east though.

Butyeah, there so much to do in this small area.... but it is too small ! (have to wait for a swiss-only mapmod)

Last edited:
Well, AFAIK the Counts of Neauchatel ruled only over a tiny area (roughly the modern Canton, I think), which would make them Barons at most in CK terms, no? The main problem IMO is that the area of the current province really belongs to Savoy... The only reason they would have a county of their is that they weren't part of another duchy like Savoy or the Zähringen holdings. But I really think they are too small to be represented in the game; there are many, many other small landholders that would then have to be included as well... but it's not my decision, obviously ;). Keeping them wouldn't be THAT much of a catastrophy ;).

About Ticino, I think having them de jure Lombardy is ok. It was conquered by the Confederacy over a longs period at the end of the CK-period, their CB being "give it to us or else". There's no reason to make it easier for them to take.

And no, Vorarlberg shouldn't be in St. Gallen; my map wasn't meant to be that accurate yet ;). I think it's there in CK because the designers kept the map intentionally vague for a "medieval" feeling of mapmaking.

Well, AFAIK the Counts of Neauchatel ruled only over a tiny area (roughly the modern Canton, I think), which would make them Barons at most in CK terms, no? The main problem IMO is that the area of the current province really belongs to Savoy... The only reason they would have a county of their is that they weren't part of another duchy like Savoy or the Zähringen holdings. But I really think they are too small to be represented in the game; there are many, many other small landholders that would then have to be included as well... but it's not my decision, obviously ;). Keeping them wouldn't be THAT much of a catastrophy ;).

About Ticino, I think having them de jure Lombardy is ok. It was conquered by the Confederacy over a longs period at the end of the CK-period, their CB being "give it to us or else". There's no reason to make it easier for them to take.

And no, Vorarlberg shouldn't be in St. Gallen; my map wasn't meant to be that accurate yet ;). I think it's there in CK because the designers kept the map intentionally vague for a "medieval" feeling of mapmaking.

Vaud fell under Savoy ~1300, before it was more or less under Zärhingen rule. later one, very disputed between Savoy and Bern and even Burgundy. But de jure duchy of Savoy is already a big one. It should remain uncreated at this period.

I like the way Neuchâtel was really stable and didn't change from there until nowadays which is indeed quite impressive for a so small country.

It's right that the de jure ducal claim war are a bit annoying as it is the first action AI proceed systematicaly.
Ticino has a separate province don't make sense before being occupied by swiss though.

Seems indeed that Vorarlberg belonged to Chur/ancient Reatia right before CK's timeframe.

I didn't realize the Savoyards acquired it so late, thought it was one or two hundred years earlier... so maybe keep Neauchatel, and together with Bern and Schwyz make into a Duchy of Switzerland/Schwyz/Helvetia/something? Though it was still Vaud/Lausanne they fought over, so in gameplay terms that would still be truer to history.

I think Ticino makes at least a bit of sense as its own province if only because Lombardy is IMO too big right now - it stretches all the way from Genoa to St. Gotthard! I feel that anyone who unites the northern side of the alps would eventually go for Ticino, if only to control the southern side of the pass, which would be the only source of wealth in that area (although that's not really represented in game). Do you think it would make sense to have separate Grisons and Chur? After all, the various league arose more or less when the bishop was losing power, so having one province and having it shift from prince-bishopric to republic in the history files would make sense.

I didn't realize the Savoyards acquired it so late, thought it was one or two hundred years earlier... so maybe keep Neauchatel, and together with Bern and Schwyz make into a Duchy of Switzerland/Schwyz/Helvetia/something? Though it was still Vaud/Lausanne they fought over, so in gameplay terms that would still be truer to history.

I think Ticino makes at least a bit of sense as its own province if only because Lombardy is IMO too big right now - it stretches all the way from Genoa to St. Gotthard! I feel that anyone who unites the northern side of the alps would eventually go for Ticino, if only to control the southern side of the pass, which would be the only source of wealth in that area (although that's not really represented in game). Do you think it would make sense to have separate Grisons and Chur? After all, the various league arose more or less when the bishop was losing power, so having one province and having it shift from prince-bishopric to republic in the history files would make sense.

Grisons/Chur can easily be only one province. The leagues emerged later.
OK about Ticino's role.
All Vaud's baronies are integrated into the county of Geneva ingame. Luzern is put into Bern ; Aargau and Nechatel seems ok on this point. It is a bit difficult to disentangle this pretty mix !
but yeah, it isn't our mod :p