[Map] Ibn Battuta's Legacy 2 - An alternative vanilla map WIP

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will there be a provincial connection between Atlantic/Indian Central Africa?
as shown in the sketch in the post above, there is no such plan right now. Although there is evidence, of a trade between Igbo-Ukwu near the Niger delta and China., I have to admit that I have zero knowledge about the areas in between. And I don't plan to research it any time soon... at this moment, I would prefer to review at least half a dozen other areas (Persia, Germany, Low Countries, Poland/Baltic area, Kaabu and Egypt/Nubia).

I am actually not even sure how many provinces I can even get to the area between Swahili coast and the Great Lakes to connect the Swahili coast with the area of Kitara empire. Although we can get some information about its historical inhabitants, I still need to do a lot of research to find actual historical settlements.
That said, if anyone can help me provide good sources, which could help fill the gap, or - even better - share a well sourced suggestion about what could be added there, I might move it up my to-do list. Although it won't get above Persia, Germany, Poland/Baltics and Kaabu, I'd love to learn more

• 1Like
Reactions:
IBL compatch with Rajas of Asia are getting an alpha release https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3168671020
IBL on RoA map.jpg

Here is a province, kingdom and terrain view of Africa and the Levant, although you all know that this also affects Iberia and parts of Central Europe...
2024_02_26_9.png

IBL&RoA-kingdoms-Africa.jpg

2024_02_26_7.png

This is meant to be the ultimate map mod for all who want to play ourside Europe.It adds the entire Asia, as done by Rajas of Asia mod, and merges it with reworked and improved map of Africa, Middle East and parts of Europe as done by Ibn Battuta's Legacy.This mod is also intended to bridge the main obstacle in joining Rajas of Asia with Community Mods for Historicity.

Please note that this is yet an alpha version, which still has some issues. I will try to tackle them one by one,please feel free to report them when you notice anything, either here in the comments section, or - ideally - on my discord server.

Features added for original Ibn Battuta's Legacy:
  • Better map projection
  • Fully added Asia, as done by Rajas of Asia
  • more detailed Hausaland, Kanem and Ghana
Features new to Rajas of Asia users:
  • new terrains added by Ibn Battuta's Legacy - Dry Hills, Boreal Highlands and Savanna
  • more detailed map of Africa
  • improved parts of Europe (currently Iberia, Bohemia, Slovakia and northern Hungary)
Planned features
  • adding the Swahili coast of East Africa
  • Overhaul of Persia, Egypt and Nubia
  • overhaul of more regions of Europe and Africa (Bavaria, Kaabu already in development)
Known Issues or things to be done for full version:
  • add all the new IBL terrains to Asia
  • some locators might be little out of place, please report if anything feels wrong
  • the 936 bookmark needs to be adapted to the western parts of the map, especially Africa
  • Empires and special kingdoms are for some reason dissolved right now. Will be fixed in the final version
Thanks and credits:
  • special thanks to Nezaros and the Rajas of Asia team
  • Deimos (for thumbnail pic)
  • Kaepora Gaebora and TheNunnceler
  • Cybrxkhan

• 5Love
Reactions:
Love what the mod does for North African titles (especially new Counties that connect lands), but I wanted to ask a few things about Terrain Bonuses. For reference, I only ran this mod for the first three screenshots, and IBL, RICE, and the compatch (in that order) for the fourth and fifth ones.
  1. Why does the Himalayan Settlers Tradition give bonuses to Boreal Highlands instead of Arid Hills? I think there's a mismatch with the terrains here, since the Mountaineers Men-at-Arms does have the Arid Hills positive terrain modifier.
  2. Highland Warriors doesn't boost Boreal Highlands, which have entirely replaced Hills in the Scottish Highlands. This Tradition does nothings for the very culture it was designed for.
  3. This one's just a personal nitpick, but I wish Mountain Herding gave bonuses to Arid Hills, since the mod reduces the Desert Mountains and Drlands terrain available to the cultures that have the Tradition like the Baranis.
  4. If not, I hope it's at least possible to incorporate it to the Granary of Africa Tradition provided by RICE using the compatch, since Baranis culture is barely on any Drylands terrain since most are replaced by Arid Hills.
  5. The Desert Warrior trait gives no advantage in Arid Hills, despite giving +5 to Savanna (which is a new terrain type added by the mod) and Desert Mountains (which I assume would be harsher than hills?).
2024_04_10_1.png
2024_04_10_3.png
2024_04_10_2.png
2024_04_10_4.png
2024_04_10_5.png

Sorry if these have been addressed in the previous 13 pages, I don't know where Paradox hid the "Search in Thread" function. Do tell if there's something wrong on my part and the mod shouldn't have these issues in its current version, but it's been like this since Legacy of Persia iirc.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Love what the mod does for North African titles (especially new Counties that connect lands), but I wanted to ask a few things about Terrain Bonuses. For reference, I only ran this mod for the first three screenshots, and IBL, RICE, and the compatch (in that order) for the fourth and fifth ones.
  1. Why does the Himalayan Settlers Tradition give bonuses to Boreal Highlands instead of Arid Hills? I think there's a mismatch with the terrains here, since the Mountaineers Men-at-Arms does have the Arid Hills positive terrain modifier.
  2. Highland Warriors doesn't boost Boreal Highlands, which have entirely replaced Hills in the Scottish Highlands. This Tradition does nothings for the very culture it was designed for.
  3. This one's just a personal nitpick, but I wish Mountain Herding gave bonuses to Arid Hills, since the mod reduces the Desert Mountains and Drlands terrain available to the cultures that have the Tradition like the Baranis.
  4. If not, I hope it's at least possible to incorporate it to the Granary of Africa Tradition provided by RICE using the compatch, since Baranis culture is barely on any Drylands terrain since most are replaced by Arid Hills.
  5. The Desert Warrior trait gives no advantage in Arid Hills, despite giving +5 to Savanna (which is a new terrain type added by the mod) and Desert Mountains (which I assume would be harsher than hills?).

Sorry if these have been addressed in the previous 13 pages, I don't know where Paradox hid the "Search in Thread" function. Do tell if there's something wrong on my part and the mod shouldn't have these issues in its current version, but it's been like this since Legacy of Persia iirc.
thanks for this feedback!

I'll be honest - some of the changes clearly were not thought through enough - I know I edited some of the traditions before actually editing the terrain of the regions, and did them only mechanically, so this is exactly the kind of feedback that I needed and appreciate!

I will check these as soon as I have some more time and will come back to you. From the first glance, most are deffinitely oversights.
OTOH, those, which are tied to RICE traditions should best be treated by RICE somehow, although I'm not sure how

• 3Like
Reactions:
where Paradox hid the "Search in Thread
Go to the top of the page, tap the search button, and change the search (in the field directly below “search in forums”) from “everywhere” to “this thread.”

Reactions:
thanks for this feedback!

I'll be honest - some of the changes clearly were not thought through enough - I know I edited some of the traditions before actually editing the terrain of the regions, and did them only mechanically, so this is exactly the kind of feedback that I needed and appreciate!
Happy to help. I'll add a couple more nitpicks in case you'd like to take a second look at them. None of these are as urgent as the terrain mismatch on the Himalayas in my previous post, and might just be design choices and decisions. Think of this reply more like I'm bringing these up to better understand the way terrain modifiers are assigned than anything. I'll include why I think these points are the way they are as my attempts to understand the process.
  1. Base game bundles up Forest, Taiga, and Jungle together often. Since you've modified the bonuses of the Forest Fighter trait and terrain bonuses for the Metsänvartija MaA, I think it's possible to add Boreal Highlands bonuses to Forest Folk and/or Sacred Groves traditions. Boreal Highlands is already included in the terrain bonuses for the Forest Wardens tradition.
  2. The Bush Hunting tradition gives levy bonuses to Savanna but the Bush Hunters MaA it enables has terrain bonuses on Arid Hills, though I think this was a conscious balancing decision.
  3. The Desert Ribats tradition doesn't have any modifiers for Arid Hills, despite reducing danger for the other 4 terrains the Butr culture is spread across. The Dryland Dwellers and Desert Travellers traditions do reduce danger for Arid Hills, so I suspect this is also a conscious desgin choice.
2024_04_17_1.png
2024_04_17_2.png
2024_04_17_3.png

Go to the top of the page, tap the search button, and change the search (in the field directly below “search in forums”) from “everywhere” to “this thread.”
Thank you!

• 1Like
Reactions: