• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(168778)

Recruit
6 Badges
Sep 25, 2009
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
Has anyone figured out how to allow camera movement when making a new map from scratch? I can load any of the existing maps and move around it just fine, but when I make a new map the camera seems locked in place (except for rotation).

I have tried changing the camera/world/pather/haze boundaries and have seen no effect on the new map (though decreasing or increasing the camera boundary on an existing map will force you to stay within the new boundary). The only alternative I can think of would be to remove everything from an existing map and flatten it to create a new map template (which doesn't really solve the problem so much as evade it).

I'll keep looking for some solution to this, but I figured I should ask here incase someone else has come up with one.

Create a shortcut to the majesty 2 exe, then add: filed: -editor

to the end of it and run it so for instance my target in the shortcut is

"C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Majesty 2\Majesty2.exe" filed: -editor

You can switch the left mouse button from select mode to move mode by holding down the space bar, which lets you drag the map around.

I haven't figured out why the arrow keys don't work with a new map, though. You do use the arrow keys to move entities around and whatnot, so it might have something to do with the mode a new map starts in.

I've only spent a little time playing with the editor but here is how to get started.

Create a shortcut to the majesty 2 exe like this

"C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Majesty 2\Majesty2.exe" filed: -editor

Or add the launch option to Steam -editor

Once the editor loads up if you press esc you can create a new map.

To get the arrow keys to move around the camera you have to save the map first and then reload it. I haven't figured out any other way aside from that.

Some other tips.

Pressing F2 lets you define the terrain

Pressing F3 lets you add lairs and buildings etc

You have to save both the terrian and entities seperately.

Escape (or in some cases) right-click opens a menu with options. It's usually better to just hit the shortcut key.

When you have an entity selected, holding one of these keys and moving the mouse button does an action:

Z - rotates around model's Z (vertical) axis
X - free rotate
C - rotates around world's Z (vertical) axis
A - moves vertically along Z axis (important for positioning water and things in it)
S - scales object

Also, Ctrl+Z undoes the last action. Alt+Z shows the editor history, and clicking on a history item undoes back to that action.

Holding down the space bar and the left mouse button and dragging the mouse allows you to move around even with entities selected, which is important for selecting multiple off-camera entities.

I plan on writing up a tutorial on how to do everything, there's a few gotchas. I wanted to wait until the patch comes out on Steam though, just to make sure the editor is still available and that doing maps is still possible, so I don't waste my time.