• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hardradi

Lt. General
34 Badges
Apr 20, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Prison Architect
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
Screenshots of map changes in 1.32. Get it here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464453

All populations have been spread across their respective expanded provinces, to keep population in line with vanilla. This may weaken some of the one province minors, like Achaea and Aetolia, but these nations have been given a higher proportion compared to their neighbours.

Province history has also been updated, to show the ebbs and flows of the respective nations throught the time period of the game. Some tweaking may still be required but there shouldnt be any significant historical anomalies. Click foward in the time period and see the Achaen League dominating the Peloponnese or Rhodes at its peak spanning from Crete to Asia Minor.

Greece and Crete:
1)The Peloponnese has been split into the major regions of ancient times. After the defeats of Sparta by Thebes and Macedon throughout the 4th century BC, it is crippled without its control of Messenia. After being a battleground for the Diadochi, tyrants now abound throughout the Peloponnese and the fledgling Achaen League lies hidden along the Corinithian Gulf.
2)Crete has been broken down into four powers to try and represent the disjointed state of affairs on the island in the Hellenic era (and throughout ancient times).
3)Macedon suffers as Antigonus Gonates and Ptolemy Keranous battle it out for the throne. Gonates hanging onto the slim pickings left over from his grandfather and father, has control of the "Fetters of Greece", Demtrias, Etreria and Corinth.
4) The Aegean is dominated by the Ptolemiac Kingdom. They have control of the Dodacense Island chain and indirectly control the Cyclades through the Nesiotic League.

rome_2-1.jpg

Sicily and Rhegium:
1) Former mercenaries of Agathocles, the tyrant king of Sicily, the Marmertimes massacred the males of Messene and set themsleves up as rulers under their leader Kion.
2) After being defeated by the Carthaginians, Hicetas the ruler of Syracuse is not under attack from within by his rival Theonon and without from Sosistratos the tyrant of Akragas (ruler of thirty towns). Sensing weakness the Cartahginians are on the warpath and attempting to crush the greeks once and for all.
3) At the toe of Italy, Decius a Campnain legionary commander, has rebelled from Rome and following the lead of the Marmertines across the straits, massacred the male population of Rhegium and set himself up as tyrant.

rome_4ds.jpg

Norhern Greece, Thracia and Bosphorus:
1) After the ruthless and bloody takeover of Macedon by Ptolemy Keraunos, Apollodorus of Cassandria has declared himself tyrant in Chalcidace
2) A huge band of gauls have appeared in the north, poised to descend on greece and barbarians threaten Lysmachia in the Chersonesus.
3) After suffering under tyrants and kings for many years, the city of Hereclia Pontica in the Black Sea has become independent and united with Chalcedon. They have formed a "Northern Alliance" with the people of Byzantium.
rome_3-2.jpg

Red Sea and the Canal of Darius modifier:
1) Sorry my Suez Canal is no longer working. I developed it well over a year ago but something has changed in the game mechanics which is stopping it. So no "transferring" ships between the Red Sea and the Mediterranean Sea

rome_4dfg.jpg

474AUC country starting map:

rome_map_1.jpg

Last edited:
Great job Hardradi, the Vanilla map definitely needs expansion, and it's good to see it going on in the Epigoni mod!

Thanks everyone.

Nice work, but I think you have put Heraclea Pontica in the wrong place. It should be further to the east, so Bithynia should still control that area (but the souther half of the Bithynia province should be lost).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Heraclea-Pontica.png

I agree, I am going to split that peninusula from Bythnia and call it Thynia. I will have to ditch Chalcedon at the Bosphorus.

BTW, just thinking...
I'm not sure, but wasn't Seleucia on one of the two rivers (Tigris or Euphrate)?

Yes, there are a few areas over there I would like to fix up.

Great changes, thanks.

One thing. I have a display issue with terrain map. Something is wrong probably with spots that were redrawn. Maybe topology.bmp or another file should be updated? Or am I the only one seeing this?

I'm having the same problem. Maybe we have to delete a map cache, or something?

Yes, you need to delete the province textures out of the vanilla map folder but leave the empty province textures folder in place.

This is taken from RIMP:
Delete or at least remove all the texture files from the “Europa
Universalis: Rome\Map\cache\province_textures” folder, however keep
the now empty texture folder inside the cache folder after deleting or
removing the texture files inside this folder.

Last edited:
Yes, you need to delete the province textures out of the vanilla map folder but leave the empty province textures folder in place.

These are taken from RIMP:

Ha, of course. I've already forgotten that with changed map deleting only cache without province textures won't work. Thanks.

You can but you have to delete the province textures out of the cache again and re-run the game. Two solutions:

1) Copy the files to a safe palce before you delete them. You can then put them back if you have a problem; or
2) My favorite, use two installations of Rome. Just copy and paste your Europa Universalis - Rome directory into the Paradox Interactive folder and run the game and Epgioni Mod from the new folder.

Here is an example of what mine looks like, I have over 20 seperate installations:
directory.jpg

Stop picking on my spelling (sobs and cries). Latin isn't my first language and my English spelling sucks as well. :mad:

You wouldn't believe it but part of my work role involves actually correcting, restructuring and find spelling mistakes in letters of others. :rolleyes: It just shows how bad the education system has become.

You should see my directory now after doing the map modding and another beta patch.

Thanks Descartes. The population of some of the new provinces are pretty low so its going to be tough for them to survive (or even trade it appears).

I am tossing around the idea in my head of a subtle form of overlying Greek league, based on the Amphictyonic League. It will work where if a member states territory is occupied, the other member states get relationship penalties with that nation. It should help drive the member states to war against the occupying state and keep the individual states free (a modded form of diplomatic guarantee).

The League doctrine required that no member would be entirely wiped out in war and no water supply of any member would be cut even in wartime. It did not prevent members from fighting about the dominance over the temples.

Appropriate member states per the mod would be Athens, Sparta, Boeotian League, Magnesian League and Thessalian League.

PS: I've got the iSpell in place now, so my posts are going to be spot on. :)

Hehe, I'm sure you're doing a good job. ;) It's always easier to find others' mistakes. :p
Anyway, the idea of modding the Greek states to stay independent longer sounds like a good idea. What about a triggered modifier giving badboy to small Greek states that occupy other, non-core Greek provinces?

Sounds like a great idea, if you can get it to work it'd be very impressive!

I'll play this right after I get back from playing American Civil War. Great work Hardradi!

Btw, if you need help with the eastern part of the map, my modding skills suck, but I can give you plenty of historical info on it.