• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You never cease to impress, just one point regarding the terrain in the Indus region however: Is the transition between lush forests and arid mountains supposed to be that abrupt?

Also, didn't Darius' canal go along the Pelousiac Nile, which went further to the east, closer to the modern Suez? I am not sure on that one, but I remember that the hardest obstacle for invading Egypt was the Pelousiac Nile which was the easternmost of the Nile's 'limbs', and you had to cross it to enter Egypt. For example Perdiccas and Antigonus had severe trouble crossing it. As it seems from the in-game map, both yours and the vanilla one, there really is no river to cross to enter Egypt.

You never cease to impress, just one point regarding the terrain in the Indus region however: Is the transition between lush forests and arid mountains supposed to be that abrupt?

Thanks vanin. That lush green terrain is some old work that I did long before I had the topography and provinces in place. Since then my impression of the area has changed and I will be fixing this up to show as a bit more arid.

Also, didn't Darius' canal go along the Pelousiac Nile, which went further to the east, closer to the modern Suez? I am not sure on that one, but I remember that the hardest obstacle for invading Egypt was the Pelousiac Nile which was the easternmost of the Nile's 'limbs', and you had to cross it to enter Egypt. For example Perdiccas and Antigonus had severe trouble crossing it. As it seems from the in-game map, both yours and the vanilla one, there really is no river to cross to enter Egypt.

From my research I have based the canal on running along the Wadi Tumilat, making the northern half more of an east-west route. I think the position of Pelusium is to far to the east. It should be located closer to the delta.

alex_map_06.gif

Yes you are right about there being no "river" to cross to get into the Delta area. The way I have it, has the sea zone is splitting the province into three like a bunch of islands. I will have to rework it so that there is an obsticle for attackers by breaking it up.

Good work on getting the big map to work, looks really nice.

I am unsure of the canal. First of all as you said everyone can use the canal unhindered. That it will open up trade may not be all bad, I think. However the canal required, as far as I could see in my extremely brief look at it, lots of maintenance, so it seems to me that having it as sea zones is not good. Maybe having a province modifier that occassionaly needs to be restored (maintained) that gives a boost to income? One would not have the ability to move fleets but in my opinion it is better that the Ptolies (and whoever may conquer the provinces) can't then that everyone else can.

Thanks Lof.

Having other countries ships sail through unhindered worries me to, thats why I would like some other peoples thoughts on it.

I already have a buildable modifier for the canal (althought it needs to be shifted to the new Delta province). The modifier gives a local tax bonus and civilisaiton spread bonus. Having it needing to be restored is a good idea and I think I can easily implement that.

I'm at home now, and after been trying your new masterpiece I have realized that it's something I always dreamt of... I hope it will grow up more and more on this way.
BUT, as usual, I am here to dot the i...
I think that in northern Italy an important population lacks: the Cenomani, celtic tribe very similar to Insubres and Boii, arrived in Italy during the great celtic migration and become Roman Allies during the gaul's war (about 225 BC)... If you are interested in it, this is a good link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenomani_%28Cisalpine_Gaul%29
I think that they are very important for the roman expansion in Italy...
But I know that I'm always here to do this annoying question...

Italiaceltica.jpg
(for Cenomani this map is quite good but for Taurini is imprecise...)

Last edited:
Thanks AC. I will definately include the Cenomani in a future version, along with the Veneti and perhaps the Taurisci. The next release will take the timeline back to the start of the Third Samnite War which means I would like to add some more province to the Italian Peninsula for this, i.e., split Umbria and do some adjustments in Magna Graecia. I am currently in the process of developing 30 more provinces since the last version and they will have to be done before I do this. So it might be a while.

Province and terrain development continues:

india.jpg

more_nile.jpg

I'm going to give this one a go. Especially given the fact Greece has been expanded upon. Time to pick up my fav EU:R faction again... SPARTAAAH!!!

On a secondary note, I appreciate and respect the fact you put so much work in this. :) I hope you will keep going, EU:R can really use a good mod support.

I propose a statue for you in a panhellenic sanctuary...

In the form of Heracles I hope. :)

Nice to see you're going down into Egypt. Or should I say 'up'? Keep up the good work!

:D thanks

I'm going to give this one a go. Especially given the fact Greece has been expanded upon. Time to pick up my fav EU:R faction again... SPARTAAAH!!!

On a secondary note, I appreciate and respect the fact you put so much work in this. :) I hope you will keep going, EU:R can really use a good mod support.

With Sparta, if you want to easily access the Spartan reforms you can play Agis or Cleomenes (they are bookmarked), otherwise you might have to wait for a talented king. :p Feedback is welcome but I am somewhat restricted with the hard coding.

Cheers for the props. I will keep going, I enjoy it to much. :) I have a lot left to do with the map expansion/development and the timeline expansion.

Looking great, Hardradi! Let's hope that the alleged patch in the works can eliminate the pause between each month.

I love seeing new provinces!

you were talking about adding in a canal to egypt in an earlier post so u moved the province alexandria elsewhere and did what exactly? made it connect to the red sea by river or what i go lost their im a bit late but yea...

you were talking about adding in a canal to egypt in an earlier post so u moved the province alexandria elsewhere and did what exactly? made it connect to the red sea by river or what i go lost their im a bit late but yea...

If you're thinking of a canal from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea, there never was one in ancient times. There are sources that claim they built a west-east canal, linking some of the Nile tributaries with the Red Sea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Canal#Canals_dug_by_Necho.2C_Darius_I_and_Ptolemy

Looking great, Hardradi! Let's hope that the alleged patch in the works can eliminate the pause between each month.

Thanks mate. :) I dont think they will eliminate the "pause" but I just hope the fix the alliance war spam issue.

I love seeing new provinces!

Wow, impressive and beautiful map!

Cheers guys

I am still thinking about whether to include it, since if I put it in all nations will be able to sail between the Med and the Red. I already have a modifier for the canal, its whether I want to physically put it in. Also it gives the added bonus of having to cross "straits" to get into egypt. This provides the Ptolemies with a new level of protection, aka, the failed attempts of Perdiccus and Antigonus to conquer Egypt

I did have a different version of the canal which I never released because it stopped working after one of the patches. It worked as follows:

1) Control Delta province
2) Have no land units in Delta province
3) Have 1 ship unit in Delta province
4) Then hit decision and your ship in Delta province was eliminated
5) Then new ship appears in a port in Thebes (a few days later via an event)

Then you could do the same going back the other way. Its a shame it no longer works properly. :(

If you're thinking of a canal from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea, there never was one in ancient times. There are sources that claim they built a west-east canal, linking some of the Nile tributaries with the Red Sea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Canal#Canals_dug_by_Necho.2C_Darius_I_and_Ptolemy

Yes, I was thinking of something more like this (with the east-west canal). Arent the sources proof enough that a canal existed (Herodotus the father of history :eek:):

canal.jpg

Herodotus is the father of history, but he ain't exactly mr. fact-checker :) That's Thucydides.

But as far as I understand you can still see Darius I's canal remnants today.

http://www.touregypt.net/suezcanal.htm

And a nice description with maps of the canal position, just like your fine map example
http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/timelines/topics/canals.htm

Is it a problem to give the Ptollies the advantage of a "strait"? I mean they did stick around till the days of Caesar.

As always looking forward to see what you come up with next :)