• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, but you should assign the air supply mission according to a region. Air supply doesn't seem to work on a single province target. All supply will then migrate back to the depot.

Assign by region? Didn't know that could be done. Is that just a matter of selecting regional map mode and select all provs in the region? Is there a hot key idk about for regional assignments?

cool

How is Hungary landlocked? It has a common border with Romania, and via that border it will receive supply. It's very possible Budapest could be the depot. No matter, a supply draw will be established for those units in Hungary, and these supplies will migrate one province/day to feed your units. Air supply is just extra - and probably not a bad idea.

Ok.. I phrased that poorly. Hungary was landlocked until I conquered Romania. that was the point I was getting to... will supplies make it up from Romania to Hungary. That's why I wanted to use Split so it would be a shorter route. Less prov costs.

Wings do not fly empty, so if you see them flying they are providing supply.
cool...

As long as they have a draw, sure. The supply system doesn't know you stole those provinces.

ok... "stole" is kind of a harsh term. Winston and I sat down and made an agreement like gentlemen. That's what Allies do. We cooperate :). The console is a nice tool to make up for the lack of some features. Not like there's a Malta or Potsdam to work things out at ;-p

Yes, especially if they are five-brigade divisions. Logistics wizards are mandatory in those divisions. A skill-level six or seven leader at Army Group is a must. One good thing: provinces can move equal amounts of supply and fuel simultaneously.

My Mec Divs are typically 5 brigades with Mec, Mot, SPART, TD, MOTAA with some variations of AC or ENG. I let the AI run production early on. They will chug down fuel. I've got supply wizards leading just about all my mobile divs. AGs all are at least a six.

BTW: Patton would frown on your intended attack plans. To paraphrase, he would advise you "...hold him by the teeth and kick him in the ass." You're trying to shove a fist down your enemy's throat while giving him the chance to dodge. I doubt you have the manpower to pull this off, but good luck. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I would like to have Patton around to get advice from but... since he isn't... I'm relying on the forum for a lot. Thank God there isn't real lives involved ;-p. Yea... Manpower is getting low but... The Soviets are going to have their own challenges too and.. I'm counting on my Airforce advantage make things a lot more easy for ground troops. They should be dealing with lots of low org PTSD'ed Ruskies. This is what Russia gets for taking out Germany too soon. I didn't get enough experience since they were all but beaten by the time I finished off Italy. :eek:

Thanks man. Much better understanding on supplies from this thread.

never mind the region question... forgot about that in the air mission screen.

For help on the supply system go here. This is the logistics reference in the Wiki. It is current for TFH, 4.02.

Assign by region? Didn't know that could be done. Is that just a matter of selecting regional map mode and select all provs in the region? Is there a hot key idk about for regional assignments?

When you assign the air mission, at the top of the order interface you have four choices as to the directionality of the mission. I don't know all four, but going from right to left, one of them is by area (represented with a circle), the other is by vector (represented by a cone), and I believe region (represented by an arrow). No matter, the tooltips should help you. Just choose it and follow the bouncing ball.

Ok.. I phrased that poorly. Hungary was landlocked until I conquered Romania. that was the point I was getting to... will supplies make it up from Romania to Hungary. That's why I wanted to use Split so it would be a shorter route. Less prov costs.

Supplies will travel according to the best path as determined by the supply system. If Romania is the depot for Hungary the supplies will travel from it. If Split is the depot, that's where the supplies come from. What would be nice is if you have a contiguous line from Venice to Hungary to Romania. What would be even nicer is improving infra around Venice outward toward your combat front.

Without a seeing a map, my battle plan would be to use my navy to invade all along the Baltic and Black Seas. This would threaten the Russians with an envelopement the AI will not ignore. It might be a little late responding, but at some point it will MOVE its front line units to escape the obvious. It is much easier to beat a fleeing army, and the movement gives you the added benefit of enemy units giving up their entrenched positions in mountainous terrain. The manpower losses you avoid from that would be massive.

At this point all you have to do is commit your troops to "holding" battles designed to slow down the Russians as you close a noose around their exposed neck. If you successfully pull off a north-south encirclement, then your MP losses are irrelevant - the Russians will already be defeated. What's even better is you will have pulled it off on better supply lines than you would get deeper in Russia.

Yep...agreed. I'm hoping to push up with troops I've massed in Hungary and amphib land further east from the black sea, and then south from the baltics and link up as soon as possible. I can push east from Germany and France with armor on the plains and should be able to keep supplies moving in with air transports where needed.... hopefully. I still have 10 marine divs with high experience and kept my high skill commanders there from the japan conquest in both div and corp leadership. I have 10 mountain divs in the Italian alps which I hope can move well or at least defend from the Soviets pushing into Italy. They are backed up by armored and mech divs in the alps foothills. I have 4 corps of mostly inf defending the eastern Romanian and Hungarian boarders. Air power should be helpful I slowing down Soviets moving east from Germany while softening troops in Poland. Well... looks good on the operations map overlay. Execution is another matter. Either way it'll give me more experience with HOI3. The Soviets really nerfed me by taking Germany so quickly. I really never got the chance to fight a large fron campaign. Japan and Italy's geographical layout makes for small front lines that were relatively easy to keep supplied.

And whats up with America's low MP? Just doesn't make sense. They had 4 million active military by 1945. Granted, not all were combat but... we were a nation of 150 million. I'm planning on running peterhoi3's AI improvement next game. I think he addressed this. Its just crazy.

And whats up with America's low MP? Just doesn't make sense. They had 4 million active military by 1945. Granted, not all were combat but... we were a nation of 150 million. I'm planning on running peterhoi3's AI improvement next game. I think he addressed this. Its just crazy.

There's plenty of manpower available to the USA once the war starts. You get it by event. There's also a buff to monthly manpower once the war starts, too.

Hmmm... during my buildup to take on the Soviets, once I got to about 1.2 million troops... my MP was in the tank. However, its early 1944 and only Finland and Bulgaria remain in the axis and Russia had annexed Germany. I still have a very large navy and aircorps. Being a noob... I'm really not sure how any of that affects MP honestly. I also have just over 1000 IC. I assume ICs draws from MP as well. Is that a fair statement?

No, IC does not cost any MP. Although what would you do with 1000 IC per day? Build 300 CVs?

However, what gets confusing is that brigade manpower numbers do not ever match up to MP in any meaningful way, or historical charts. Consider this: a MIL brigade lists 3000 men, but it uses less MP than an INF brigade, which also has 3000 men.

I know I know. Its my first go with HOI3 and... more IC seemed better than less. Hell... I have two CVs that have never even left Norfolk. Can't bring myself to disband them. Its a CV man. And... I learned if you don't keep an eye on theAI production it'll do crazy things. Loves to build factories and really loves marines. If I didn't watch it I'd have 50 marine divs and... 500 convoys.

Well... I didn't use milita. Didn't see a plausible application. Then again... I've learned history and game reality are two very different things in HOI3 :rolleyes:

Would disbanding ships return MP to the pool. Not sure I would do it because hey... I'm american. We like our big navy but... I could get rid of 50 ships and it wouldn't hurtt me a bit. Soviets have hardly any navy. Hell... I haven't had a convoy raided in at least 18 months.

I know I know. Its my first go with HOI3 and... more IC seemed better than less. Hell... I have two CVs that have never even left Norfolk. Can't bring myself to disband them. Its a CV man. And... I learned if you don't keep an eye on theAI production it'll do crazy things. Loves to build factories and really loves marines. If I didn't watch it I'd have 50 marine divs and... 500 convoys.

Well... I didn't use milita. Didn't see a plausible application. Then again... I've learned history and game reality are two very different things in HOI3 :rolleyes:

Would disbanding ships return MP to the pool. Not sure I would do it because hey... I'm american. We like our big navy but... I could get rid of 50 ships and it wouldn't hurtt me a bit. Soviets have hardly any navy. Hell... I haven't had a convoy raided in at least 18 months.

Yeah, there's a lot of little things in the game, call them quirks if you will, where some things just don't match up. The historical facts and game OOB always gets jumbled because every nation used different formations, but the game only has uniform brigades (based on tech). And while you can look up a historical OOB, complete with functioning chain of command, in HOI3 you gotta "translate" it into something useful.

But the good news in this case is that disbanding units frees up manpower. If those ships are tying up manpower, and you have none to spare from elsewhere and don't need the ships, you can scrape up some manpower by disbanding them.

Also note that brigades can upgrade to new times, so feel free to mechanize infantry or upgrade armor when the time is right.

Yea... one of the first things I did early on was upgrade cav for instance.

Speaking of upgrades... I'm disappointed that even thoug my troop levels have increased massively since 36... I still can't build more rangers. I read in a thread there's a calculation based on overall troop numbers but I'm having a problem believing that.

I noticed supply levels seem to be based on need. If you have a HQ in a prov then supplies don't tend to get to high. Makes sense.

Yea... one of the first things I did early on was upgrade cav for instance.

Speaking of upgrades... I'm disappointed that even thoug my troop levels have increased massively since 36... I still can't build more rangers. I read in a thread there's a calculation based on overall troop numbers but I'm having a problem believing that.

I noticed supply levels seem to be based on need. If you have a HQ in a prov then supplies don't tend to get to high. Makes sense.

Rangers are based on a percentage (with a set minimum) of your INF, MOT, and MECH brigades. If you have lots of armor, special forces, or MIL/GAR/MP brigades, they aren't counting towards increasing the ranger cap.

This applies to all country-specific units (Soviet Guards, Waffen-SS, and so on).