• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unddu

Armchair Temüjin
6 Badges
Jun 23, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)

-All settings normal
-This means lucky on, gogo France!
-Difficulty=Hard
-No inheriting nor diplo annexing, both are considered cheating! by me ;)

I forgot to mention: My Goals this time around:

-Colonise EVERY province on the map
-Have a CORE on every possible province
-Convert EVERY province to the catholic faith
-Doing these things earlier then I did in my Meck game!

Sounds familiar doesn't it.

My last AAR had left me pretty demoralised: Having conquered and colonised the entire world, converting an absolutely insane amount of provinces to my culture and converting everyone to the protestant faith and then losing the remaining 50% of my screenshot to a HD failure :mad:

Anyways after I played some other games, I have come back to EU3:IN. Seeing two new patches made me itchy and eager to get back into the game.

Allrighty: I am afraid I will not be making the same progress as I did with Mecklenburg since Im a tad rusty (Havent played in months, at least not this game :)) and there are now two patches that have some severe changes incorporated. So please bear with me and don't laugh at me when I fail to conquer all of the world :rolleyes:

So without further adue I present for the second time:

Mantua: The best of the best​

Or so we hope :

Tis not that way in early 1399 I can tell you that much:

EU3_2.jpg

Saying Mantua is tiny is overstating things. Surrounded by a powerhungry Milan and close to both Austria and France, things always tend to heat up when I'm in command of a OPM in Italy.

EU3_3.jpg

Ill just hire the discipline advisor then, I mean not much of a choice, and I just love discipline. War is the only way. Trade and stuff is best left to other people. Its too expensive to start with and once I can pay for it my BB will convince me otherwise. I think...

EU3_4.jpg

Hmm I already seem to have misplaced a screenshot :eek: I was just checking out the slider changes and found out that almost all options leave the realm with all kinds of annoying effects... Bah: I can already see where this will be going, good thing slider changes will in general take me over 50 years or more to get, when I get going for real, else I would be miffed!

So Instead of the obvious + centralization that I would have taken pre 3.1 I go with a harmless +land. + cent would mean a big chance of a revolt and that would mean game over in this stage of the game. Can you envision a 12.000 rebel army in Mantua and still managing ? In 1399? I cant at least.

So some horsies it is then. That much is still the same.

EU3_5.jpg

As are the usual suspects. My eyes are focussed on Urbino, it's pretty much the same every game.

EU3_6.jpg

A round of alliances it is then. I try for pretty much everyone, I can't be stingy when it comes down to allies. As in my other games, my aim will be to either have allies

- To make sure they wont attack me.
- To destroy them from within. I'll let them wear themselves out, cancel alliance and attack.
- To wear an enemy out. Having them do the fightning and having myself taking the spoils.
- To help with rebels.

EU3_7.jpg

One guarantee. Whenever I'm playing a 1 province minor, stuff like this helps me relaxe a whole lot.

EU3_8.jpg

Throughout the early game Ill be sucking up to as many countries as possible. Giving out guarantees, royal marriages and military access where-ever I can. I have to.

EU3_9.jpg

EU3_10.jpg

But sucking up is not the main aim here, just a means to an end. So we start Operation Capture Urbino, which is always a good thing for any Italian state. Getting some access first is vital.

EU3_11.jpg

And there we have the huge Mantuan army with its brilliant leader...

EU3_12.jpg

As always Italy looks mighty Balkanish, Urbino and Roma VS Napoli. Im still pretty much alone right now. With just the pope being my ally... as well as Urbino's ally.

But this is a chance: It will leave me alone, but it will also leave me with at least Urbino and with a tad of luck I can add Romagne to my demesne as well. Perhaps some gold too!

Roma and Urbino are busy in Napolian lands, having lost most of their strength already. So in we go: Me versus Urbino and Roma. Urbino needs to go first, for obvious reasons (it being a 1 province annexable state)!

The situation:

EU3_13.jpg

EU3_14.jpg

EU3_15.jpg

Cav might be expensive, but it WILL give you the best results, pretty much the entire game long.

Kinda feels like a true redux all of this :)

EU3_16.jpg

EU3_17.jpg

Silly Urbinos got beaten by Napoli and then retreat into my waiting army.

EU3_18.jpg

More armies incoming, a small check shows me it's an army with >1000 people.

EU3_19.jpg

Good news.. or not? Even though this creates a possible second antagonist for France, this might also mean Burgundy won't be growing at all and will be giving France a field day.... We will see I guess.

EU3_20.jpg

Roma under siege even though not by me. About 2k soldiers in Romagna, with 2k of my own + a general I should be save.

EU3_21.jpg

Good good, let's all guarantee me.

EU3_22.jpg

No reason to accept now is there.

EU3_23.jpg

Got some aid. Good news overall. Dog piling is fun!

EU3_24.jpg

And some more aid.

Trying to actually storm fails. I dont know why I even bother :)

EU3_25.jpg

yeah, the first Mantuan victory is in the pocket!

So that concludes the first post. Remarks and questions are as always more than welcome :)

Last edited:
unddu is back! And I am again the eager schoolbay, waiting to learn more from you! :)

Good luck, not that you'll need it I'm sure :p

Well, I haven't had any pre-runs what so ever and it will show: This AAR has a pretty action packed first 50 years I can tell you that, a decent amount of bad luck is present :) No matter ofcourse, since this only adds to the quality of the AAR. There are plenty of AARs already where everything went to plan. In this AAR it might all turn out a bit different. At the start at least :)

:rofl:

Hopefully it won't be as easy as it was last time ;)

It's my first run with 3.2 and my last run was with 3.0. Im finding certain things a lot easier, others a tad harder! Is it true that there has been a patch version where WE didn't add to RR? That would have been too easy!

unddu is back! And I am again the eager schoolbay, waiting to learn more from you! :)

EU3_26.jpg

So: The first plot of land added to Mantua. Rome is currently taken by Napoli, but knowing the AI pretty well, they are bound to pull out when I can least use it. Next up will be Romagna, I just hope I can take it before Rome is freed and starts building up new troops.

EU3_27.jpg

More access.

EU3_28.jpg

Whenever I have spare diplomats Ill suck up to France and Austria, as well as Milan. I want to keep the relationship above 150 at all times.

If you dont do this now, France wont accept it later on and might storm you, taking Lombardia as they tend to do.

EU3_29.jpg

More friends, I need more friends!

EU3_30.jpg

And this is the result of sucking up :

EU3_31.jpg

The papal state is reduced to a mere 2k soldiers:

EU3_32.jpg

I managed to sneak in Another 1k cav, expensive tho it might be.Whilst Roma is marching on Acona, my fresh new sparkling 1000 horseman rush to aid their comrades. I now have 3k troops!

As you can see Roma is also builing some new troops. Still I would have 2k horsies and 1k inf. Should be enough to handle a defensive battle even if the Roma stack should rise to 4k inf.

EU3_33.jpg

And because Roma doesnt wait for their new troops to finish being build (prolly because of long long building times related to the WE) I manage an easy win.

EU3_34.jpg

Victory!

EU3_35.jpg

This is what I did: Instead of rushing that 1k stack of cav I had in Tuscany to Ancona to help in the battle, I decided to make sure that once Roma's stack would enter Ancona, the cav stack in Firenze would enter Romagna. My army in Ancona 1k inf and 1k cav +king would be enough to hold back the 2k inf Papal army AND I already spotted Incoming Napolitaners. The last thing I would want is Napoli getting the siege in Romagna, I'd rather lose the battle in Ancona and then retreat the losing army to Romagna leaving me with 1k fresh cav and 1k battered cav and 1k battered inf, and leaving the now sieging army of the papal state right in the way of the marching Napoli armies.

EU3_36.jpg

I expected that, ah well Rome is already soundly beaten, no harm done!

EU3_37.jpg

leaving the inf to siege and following the Roman army with my cav, standard procedure.

EU3_38.jpg

Genoa also joined in the dog piling, allowing me to thinly spread out my troops without losing them. I can now siege Roma and Romagna without too much of a hassle.

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/Aideba/Mantua Part Deux/?action=view&current=EU3_39.jpg

EU3_40.jpg

Now I have to make a choice, I checked the advisors and found a ton of pretty decent -rep dudes. My money won't allow me two of them though. I have to settle for just one.

EU3_41.jpg

EU3_42.jpg

EU3_43.jpg

And some more waiting

EU3_44.jpg

And then the first:

EU3_45.jpg

And then marching the army north. Don't ever merge them during a joint battle though, you will loose the siege!

EU3_46.jpg

Crap:

EU3_47.jpg

And more mweh news:

EU3_48.jpg

I wont be getting anything from them anyways, I can just as well accept I guess.

EU3_49.jpg

Yippie!

EU3_50.jpg

And the Mantuan empire has now tripled in size :)

So far so good: Nothing really exciting happening, but I can already tell you now: Things will really really heat up, leaving me hanging by a thread :eek:

Might take another 4 updates though to get there, with the copious amount of screenshots I still have.

*Subscribed*

Let's hope this works out better in terms of getting the screenies onto a website, I doubt the game result will be anything other than glorious!

gobbling up italy is always fun :)

good start, and good luck for what's ahead!

It sure is fun to gobble up Italy, but what is with this inane amount of MP I seem to be having? Good thing I already know of the many troubles ahead or else I would think this to be too easy :rofl: Remember this time around I have not played any practice runs and if I get smashed... Ill start over ;)

Very nice.

IMO, the hardest part is now over. You have acquired another province and you are not an OPM anymore. Everything else should be a peice of cake:D

That's where you are wrong comagoosie, this time around I'll encounter some problems :)

*Subscribed*

Let's hope this works out better in terms of getting the screenies onto a website, I doubt the game result will be anything other than glorious!

I don't dare jinx it! All I know is that once the AAR is fully played out and I'm left with another 2k screenshots I will store those on my specially bought external HD as to make sure to not loose them again!

I will finish this AAR properly dammit!

And major congrats on finishing with Castille Prawn, kudos to ya!

In other news: I have decided to convert the entire world to the catholic faith AND I will do my best to colonise everything once again! Which will prove hard as the future will show :wacko:

I had just been reading through the patch details, it's a good thing I use 3.2....

3.1 has just .5 RR for 1 WE combined with the increased WE reduction during peace time! w00t

Good thing 3.2 fixes this, 1 RR for 1 WE is just fine as it is!

EU3_51.jpg

I'm not letting my hard earned army stay in my new provinces, one revolt will wipe them out.

Normally I would have an ally to help me out, but this time around: Noone wants to be my buddy!

EU3_51.jpg

Checking the web of guarantees and the like, for loose ends. As always we have guarantees for Achea and the like, but EVERYONE guarantees them, which makes dowing them suicide. I'd love to go for Ferrara, but at the moment, that's simply not possible.

EU3_53.jpg

Milan starts to tango with the Swiss. There is only 1 outcome possible. Joining in now is ofcourse, not possible. Milan alone can squash me, let alone combined with the HRE.

EU3_54.jpg

Paving the way, by sucking up to the blue blob.

Absolutely vital in this stage of the game. NOONE wants to ally me, so Im sitting on a time bomb for the time being. A dow now, from either Naples or Milan, will mean I'm in deep shit. Bohemia might come to my aid, but before they will reach me, ill be knee deep in WE. Let's just hope the decent amount of nations guaranteeing me is sufficient to keep predators at bay.

EU3_55.jpg

More checking out of potential allies/enemies. I'd love Milan as my buddy, I could then attack Naples. If not, then I'd love Austria as an ally, then I can attack Milan. Venezia would do as well for that matter. You'd be suprised if you knew how much time I spend just pausing the game and trying to find that one weak link, that nets me the least amount of enemies and the best amount of potential provinces. I hate annexing in the early game, it's simply too much bb for too little gain. (remember annexing not only prohibits you from asking for the giving up of cores, but will also prevent you from asking for money...)

EU3_56.jpg

Hungary is doing well I see. The removal of the insane starting armies for Bohemia has helped a lot when it comes down to the longevity of Hungary it seems! Banzai for Hungary. Let's hope a stale mate between Poland/Lith/Hung/Otto/Austria/Bohemia occurs :)

EU3_57.jpg

All quiet on the northern front. Ow how I want those lush Northern Italian lands!

EU3_58.jpg

Dont worry france Ill guarantee your safety! Gives me A) better rep with France and B) has no risk at all, since France rarely gets attacked at all....

EU3_59.jpg

And... action! In a daring sweep Milan goes for my vassal Roma. A left over from a previous war it seems, since they can't claim Roma, because it is my vassal.

This does mean that I now I have one useless max WE ruined vassal... Yeah..

EU3_60.jpg

Sitting still for too long really pisses me off. I need stuff to do, wars to fights, people to enslave , colonies to burn, workshops to build.

I wont DoW th. That would be silly! 4 stab and RR for a war versus MIlan, Bohemia, Genoa and Swiss? With 3k troops? Sounds a bit shady to me...

EU3_61.jpg

A quick check of national armies. A very important tool in deciding whether or not to go to war. In general I will accept 2-to-1 odds in my enemies favour as good enough odds for a war. If I have at least 10k horsies that is.

Once I have 20k horsies AND the enemies are a bit spread out so they cant all reach me at once, then I might go as far as to accept 3-to-1 odds in their favour.

All of this of course is subject to me having enough provinces to be able to deal with the loss of some of them. WE is both a friend and an enemy. In my first Mantuan WC I wasn't closely monitoring WE and as a result I used to have 5+ revolts a month... For years at an end. That was annoying to say the least. My Mecklenburg WC didnt suffer from those copious amounts of revolts, but I suffered from raging Bohemian/Russian armies at multiple points in time. Losing a province is not a problem, getting high WE is..

EU3_62.jpg

Sicily got their arses handed to them. Not that suprising. I hope Napels will annex them.

EU3_63.jpg

I dont really want to marry them, I want to conquer them. But it's for a mission so I just bite the bullet and go ahead with it.

EU3_64.jpg

How awesome, a completed mission.

Im sorry Pdox, but mission are for the most part, still totally CARP.

I'd love to have a mission such as : Free Byzantium or Unite Italy or Destroy the Hapsburgers. But alas Im stuck with Marry Y or improve relations with X. Too bad.

EU3_65.jpg

Still looking juicy as ever. Liguria and Venezia, yummie.

Noticed the changed CoT value for the first time, as well as the stagnant or not bit. Can't say I like it, but it does make sense. I really hope I will not be seeing my cots dissapearing once Im the sole nation still standing....

EU3_66.jpg

Noone wants to ally me.. noone..

EU3_67.jpg

Milan expands at the expense of the Swiss. Business as usual.

Makes it harder for me to beat Milan on the long term, best be quick about it.

EU3_68.jpg

PLEASE DONT ATTACK ME. PLEASE!

EU3_69.jpg

Nice nice. This both adds to relationships AND gives them a 5(!) stab hit for dowing me. This usually deters the AI from acting. Once they cancel the access, you know what time it is :)

EU3_70.jpg

And I can just as well ask for access. No idea why I did though... Mmm.

Kinda weird. I dont need access through their lands, so why did I ask? I don't know, must be because of those years of peace.

EU3_71.jpg

Sicily has been spamming me with alliance requests for ages now. Do they think I'm daft? They are annexation target n1 for Naples, that happens to border me and has an army three times mine. What benefits does an alliance with them offer me?

EU3_72.jpg

Rebels for Milan. Luckily I am still waiting for my first rebel excursion. Good times.

EU3_73.jpg

Venice has an army of more than 14k, but spread out over some islands. Bit of a double edged sword this might be. If Austria dows them... But being alone is starting to feel scary, so Ill just go head with it.

EU3_74.jpg

Wow, armies in Corfu, smart move Venice... What about, like , centralising ones empire? Just an idea tho....

EU3_75.jpg

And to top it off, a new leader. What a boring update :D

Nothing has happened, not for me at least.

I read the first one, it was really interesting. I hope you keep us up to date with the redux version. :)

The screenies though are quite small in size, I can't even make out the dates, but I figure you are still in the first decade.

I usually reload the start if I can't get the alliance I want, but your "embrace the bad with the good" attitude has quietly inspired me to try a "no reload" house rule next time. I'm thinking Castile over Mantua right now though, I'm surprised you didn't get annexed within a month.

I figure you were lucky with all the guarantees - I never get any - but then again I'm never so active diplomatically as you are.

I read the first one, it was really interesting. I hope you keep us up to date with the redux version. :)

The screenies though are quite small in size, I can't even make out the dates, but I figure you are still in the first decade.

I usually reload the start if I can't get the alliance I want, but your "embrace the bad with the good" attitude has quietly inspired me to try a "no reload" house rule next time. I'm thinking Castile over Mantua right now though, I'm surprised you didn't get annexed within a month.

I figure you were lucky with all the guarantees - I never get any - but then again I'm never so active diplomatically as you are.

Getting annexed in a month actually almost never happens when you play as a OPM in Italy, if and when you make sure you marry everyone/guarantee/become a two PM :)

Good luck with this. I will be following.

Thanks

Boooriiing! :p
Dow teh french, and the game becomes interesting! ;)

Enewald you will have fun in this AAR I can tell ya already. This by far the most action packed game I played with IN. Nothing goes my way and there will be many brinks of disaster! I found it to very exciting at least :)

I know it will be exciting. :p
Just because the second last sentence of the last update included word 'boring', I used it also. :D

Your aars are never boring.
post number 6499...hehe

You are God. I have no idea why it is you can tolerate a 2-1 ration of armies in your enemy's favor. How can you still pull off a profitable victory?

I know it will be exciting. :p
Just because the second last sentence of the last update included word 'boring', I used it also. :D

Your aars are never boring.
post number 6499...hehe

You are God. I have no idea why it is you can tolerate a 2-1 ration of armies in your enemy's favor. How can you still pull off a profitable victory?

I do tend to screw up sometimes: This AAR will feature some glaring mistakes on my part ;)

I have feeling that this is all leading up to something :p

I do find it a bit weird that you guranteed France, but I guess they don't mind :D

All for better relations, Im afraid of France at the moment.

Great AAR *Subscribed*

Thanks!