• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It seems that AI fared quite well so far, and you did a good job too. Strangely, in early years of vanilla Mali is more difficult than in Magna Mundi (no forts, tribal government). Mayans next? I hope they`re still alive. :)

SHAMAN SHA'ME only barbarians change their king every four years.
my favourite line :D

and Tadikkemet from Tripoli.
from Tripoli? how did they get there?

i also liked the in-game pic with Songhai's guarantors: 'they are guaranteed by Tripoli, Hausa and .
this cryptic full stop put me in as philosophical mood as the remark on 4-year sell-by-date for kings :)

JDMS - Mali is hard work, I hope it pays...

Johan11 - You'll see soon enough :)

thrashing mad - Of course, you do have forts in MM. I agree, that rebels can take control of a province instantly is a bit silly. Maybe there should be half-forts of 500 men that could be easily stormed by Latin units but could at least hold against your own rebels.

gabor - Tadikkemet is one of these pet hates (like your Cretan cores) - they are Tuareg culture, so the defect to the closest Tuareg country, Tripoli, even if they have no access whatsoever to it. I still think the wasteland provinces should allow single regiments to cross, even if it took a year.

maydetsl.png

Scene IV

Main Temple in Tah Itzá. High Priest Nohoch K'aan is dictating dates and events. Former Aztec slave and now scribe Tepotanquetl is writing on wet clay.

NOHOCH K'AAN And so in Five Chik'chan Lord Balam Chaob started the preparations to bring down the Zapotec.
TEPOTANQUETL Master, wasn't it in Six Kimi?
NOHOCH K'AAN No, Tepotanquetl, it was in Five Chik'chan that the gods spoke to Lord Balam; in Six Kimi he shared the gods' advice with the council.
TEPOTANQUETL How do you know if he didn't say until Six Kim?
NOHOCH K'AAN I know, because I was there, mediating between him and the gods. Now stop interrupting and write!

Nohoch K'aan walks closer to check Tepotanquetl writing.

may1440a.jpg

1440. There has been some consolidation in Mesoamerica. But apparently it's going to take quite a few Mayan calendar cycles to reach any tech level 1...

NOHOCH K'AAN Where was I? In Twelve 'Eb sacrifices were made to honour the gods.
TEPOTANQUETL ...Twelve 'Eb...
NOHOCH K'AAN But in One 'Ix the traitorous Zapotecs declared war on our Aztec brothers...
TEPOTANQUETL Master, how can the Zapotec be traitorous if you were going to attack them anyway?
NOHOCH K'AAN Because we were acting on advice from the gods, while they were clearly acting out of self-interest and greed.

Tepotanquetl continues writing.

may1441a.jpg

1441. No need to attack Zapotec, they move first.

TEPOTANQUETL And how do you know the gods didn't tell the Zapotecs to attack the Aztecs?
NOHOCH K'AAN Tepotanquetl, you have so much to learn yet... It's clear that the gods didn't speak to the Zapotecs because they lost the war. Now write... In Four Kaban Lord Balam Chaob declared victory over the Zapotecs, who paid in tribute the lands of Tlaxaca, Zapotec and Tohancapan, 132 measures of gold, 40 vases and 20 quetzal feathers...
TEPOTANQUETL ...and 20 quetzal feathers...

Nohoch K'aan leans again to check Tepotanquetl writing.

may1441b.jpg

I thought I was the alliance leader when I made peace. The poor Aztecs were vassalised shortly afterwards.

TEPOTANQUETL And why, master, did the mighty Maya not save their Aztec brothers from vassalisation from the traitorous Zapotec?
NOHOCH K'AAN Well, the gods didn't mention anything about saving the Aztecs, only about crushing the Zapotecs... But in fact it was all part of the same divine design, because 5 years later, in Ten Ak'bal, Lord Balam Chaob liberated Tenochtitlan and your people from Zapotec rule...
TEPOTANQUETL Liberated?
NOHOCH K'AAN Shut up and write! I want this carved in stone by the new moon.

Tepotanquetl continues writing.

may1446a.jpg

1446. Another short war with Aztec and their overlords gives me the CoT in Mexico. The Infamy is high, but when there is only one neighbour, who cares?

maydetsr.png

Maya Zapotec and Aztec are like Creek, Cherokee and Shawnee.

They keep annexing each other and then breaking apart again.

Its like one of my games, I discovered Inca, and every second month a new pretender would seize the throne. That place changes all the time.

Hopefully Maya will still exist to Annex Zapotec when you return.;)
And so the first cycle is complete. Return to Mantua! (If she still exists, that is.;))

Your style of writing is great. On to Mantua. I won't be pessimistic like everyone else. I believe it's still there.:rofl:

Tobit, Fookison - Thanks and welcome!

Count Lake - Thanks! I hope so too, the more the merrier :)

TrojanAC - Welcome! Maya should be fine until the Europeans show up....

gabor, King_Richard_XI, Sweboy - Mantua is still there, but as you'll see in the next update some worrying developments took place in Europe in my absence.

Johan11 - You are probably right, borders are very fluid with no forts.

JDMS - That's the attitude! :D

The_Shepherd - Thanks! Glad you got it...

Sweboy, Johan11 - puns and hidden/double/triple meanings are for you to find out, not for me to tell :p

Seems that I've neglected commenting for the last two updates. Really enjoyed them :)

Sweboy, Johan11 - puns and hidden/double/triple meanings are for you to find out, not for me to tell :p

Nohoch K'aan is Mayan (Yucatec) and translates to Big Hammock or Important Hammock. Hammocks were already a part of Mayan culture in this era.

What? Of course no googling! C'mon, this is common knowledge :D