• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tamwin5

Field Marshal
20 Badges
Dec 3, 2017
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Currently, accepting refugees is a no brainer. The only reason you would turn it off is to appeal the xenophobe faction (or if you just hate pops I guess???). So to make the decision actually a decision, I think there should be some cost to accepting refugees, picked from an option on the "you got refugees!" message. You could either Do Nothing (take -5 stability for 10 years), Provide for (-100 food -100CG), or turn away (-10 influence, do not receive the refugees). Hopefully this will make the decision at least a little more dynamic, and it also gives a reason to have food and CGs beyond just what you need for upkeep.

Reactions:
It is a cost for the purifying type empire that are causing them, by making the next empire they face stronger.

Though it can also be a cost for the non-slavers, in the form of more factions to keep happy.

Currently, accepting refugees is a no brainer. The only reason you would turn it off is to appeal the xenophobe faction (or if you just hate pops I guess???). So to make the decision actually a decision, I think there should be some cost to accepting refugees, picked from an option on the "you got refugees!" message. You could either Do Nothing (take -5 stability for 10 years), Provide for (-100 food -100CG), or turn away (-10 influence, do not receive the refugees). Hopefully this will make the decision at least a little more dynamic, and it also gives a reason to have food and CGs beyond just what you need for upkeep.
Honestly every policy decision that takes something away from you on one side should come with benefits on one side or potential costs on the other. Not just refugees, if I ban robots my bio reproduction could increase, if I ban slavery it makes my workers happier (they can't be replaced with slaves). Too many policies in this game just exist to add/remove options from the player which makes it a boring choice outside of RP, who could just as easily allow slavery and not enslave anyone, or skip robots techs.

Reactions:
I'd rather not have an event each time refugees arrive, there would be a lot of those sometimes.
Maybe have a temporary additional upkeep (or crime/stability cost) for the refugee pops, mentioned in the policy (and optionally have an event explaining that and suggesting to change the policy the first time refugees arrive).

Also I support the addition of culture into the game which could factor in this... if it ever is added.

I'd rather not have an event each time refugees arrive, there would be a lot of those sometimes.
Maybe have a temporary additional upkeep (or crime/stability cost) for the refugee pops, mentioned in the policy (and optionally have an event explaining that and suggesting to change the policy the first time refugees arrive).

Also I support the addition of culture into the game which could factor in this... if it ever is added.
Hmm, handling it via policy might be a better option. Alternatively, slightly rework refugees so they arrive in waves, so you wouldn't have a ton of events to click through.

• 1Like
Reactions:
More domestic policies would be nice, perhaps refugees creates domestic tension like that we unfortunatel see irl?
Refugees creates a 'refugee camp' modifier that persists for a couple of years, reducing their productivity and increasing instability while they integrate. If the sittuation persists, permanent ghettos are formed that further increase tension.
Xenophile and egalitarian empires have options to speed up the integration process.