Majesty II options: Anime kingdom simulation?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You're just jealous ...

Nerdfish said:
Sa ?
Thanks to Fal for various discussion on this topic.

Sa? How dare you use my catch phrase! Sound ... whatever. Just kidding. But you give me too much credit.

Especially since, to my chagrin, I find myself agreeing with draxynnic. I love anime, but I also love Majesty more or less the way it is. Especially the art style, which is a subjective matter anyway and cannot be provided for with logical reasons.

As for scrapping the current classes ... no. One might as well not call it Majesty at all, since it would be essentially a different game. Of course, an anime kingdom sim might be a good idea. But there's no reason to transform Majesty to accomplish that end.

On the other hand, I would support an oriental setting being added to Ardania. As a separate land, it could have all new hero classes, monsters, buildings etc. But whether it would count as "anime" or simply oriental, I don't know.

What's this? Not even a full handful of posts on the forum and people are upset at having to agree with me?

Clearly my reputation precedes me. I'm not quite sure what reputation that may be, but clearly I have some kind of reputation and it's preceeded me... :p :rofl:

You need not trouble yourself. :p I'm upset at having to disappoint Cooker by not supporting him with fiery rhetoric.

Well the way I see it the cartoony lighthearted games are a dime a dozen these days. An greatly changing a visual style can annoy an existing fanbase so its risky. For example Legend of Zelda the Wind Waker. I also know of two PC games that started off with a near realistic style but switched to cartoonish cause they thought it would be more popular. But the truth is at least I personally do not like the cartoonish style. The only time it has a place IMO is if the game is based of an actual anime or cartoon.

I'd prefer the next Majesty to be 2-D but I know it won't happen, everyone wants 3-D now. :p

<Hugs his collection of classic 2-D games like Shadow Run(Gen), Master Of Magic(PC) and Final Fantasy 5&6>

Ah, yes, Master of Magic. There was a company looking to acquire the rights to that a year or so ago, but the company that bought it along with Master of Orion is still hanging on to them (despite likely not having any plans to actually do anything with them), so the company in question is planning to make a game inspired by MoM without being close enough to be violating copyright.

Could be interesting, but unfortunately it's just not going to be the same... ;)

This is why it should not be anime

1 - 500k copies sold worldwide is why they purchased this company mostly to Europeans and Americans who neither know nor care to know anything about anime. Paradox would be shooting themselves in the financial foot if they seriously fuck with the game.

2 - Anime is not mainstream at all in western countries, especially in Scandinavia where Paradox is mostly based.

3 - Anime is gay and Americans don't like it

Warlordnipple said:
2 - Anime is not mainstream at all in western countries, especially in Scandinavia where Paradox is mostly based.

Just to point out, Anime is definitely semi-mainstream in Scandinavia and continental Europe.

Never played Majesty, never will, however, I would buy Majesty II if it were anime based, if I wanted a "serious" Kingdom simulator, I would play CK.

Besides, Anime can be serious.

Never played Majesty, never will, however, I would buy Majesty II if it were anime based...
Well, that's... kinda wierd. What is CK, exactly?

To be honest I liked that way Legends looked. I mean the 3D added alot to the visuals, and the way you would play. I just wish they did not scrap the idea. The screenshots got me excited.
Yes, but Legends was done in neither a terribly cartoony or anime style (aside from the merchant ...maybe.)
3d graphics have certain benefits over 2d versions, but I'd only be eager to see them if they can polish the result up to the same visual standards you'd expect of pre-rendered 2d sprites.

Alfryd said:
Well, that's... kinda wierd. What is CK, exactly?

Its uh, Crusader Kings..

Anyway the point is, alot of people say that an Anime based Majesty II would turn people away, the thing is, it would also attract new customers..

That's undeniable. The question is whether it will turn more people away than it attracts - and leaving it the same means you have a pretty much guaranteed fanbase (the people who liked the original Majesty) while messing with it could turn out to be catering to people who will never hear about it. It doesn't help if there are, say, twice as many people who'd buy an anime version over a 'classic' version if only one-quarter of those people actually know of its existence.

As I said earlier, an anime version could make an interesting addition to the franchise - but if it gets reinvented to the point where it puts people off while the people who might like the reinvention don't hear about it (consider the number of games that become 'sleeper hits' too late for the franchise to really benefit from it...) it could kill the franchise. To clarify: Anime Majesty could be a good part to the franchise, but it shouldn't be the only part of the franchise.

draxynnic said:
Ah, yes, Master of Magic. There was a company looking to acquire the rights to that a year or so ago, but the company that bought it along with Master of Orion is still hanging on to them (despite likely not having any plans to actually do anything with them), so the company in question is planning to make a game inspired by MoM without being close enough to be violating copyright.

Could be interesting, but unfortunately it's just not going to be the same... ;)

the company is called Stardock and they have already done an excellent series of 4x space TBSgames called Galactic Civ. even though it wont be exactly based on MOM, i have high hopes for their 4x fantasy TBS game. according to this thread, they are planning on announcing the game this spring:http://tgnforums.stardock.com/?forumid=126&aid=167807
who knows, now that Atari is not doing PC games anymore, maybe some else will buy the MOM rights & there will be both MOM2 & Stardocks game available.

markgil said:
the company is called Stardock and they have already done an excellent series of 4x space TBSgames called Galactic Civ. even though it wont be exactly based on MOM, i have high hopes for their 4x fantasy TBS game. according to this thread, they are planning on announcing the game this spring:http://tgnforums.stardock.com/?forumid=126&aid=167807
who knows, now that Atari is not doing PC games anymore, maybe some else will buy the MOM rights & there will be both MOM2 & Stardocks game available.

Haven't played them myself, but I've heard good things about them.