• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
3. Maj2 could be fun in some ways, but it essentially amounted to a tremendous hackfest, with wave after wave after wave of enemies. This does not do justice to the variety of hero classes. There needs to be more for heroes to do-- more exploration, more quests, more adventuring. Similarly Alfryd has suggested a while ago that heroes might serve a useful social function in your settlement by having special skills which they use for the benefit of your town. This would give the game more personality and is to be encouraged.
I remember having a long discussion on this topic with Falotar on the old cyberlore boards. I was actually very skeptical of the notion at first- partly because I was worried about the 'delayed reaction' effect of heroes stuck in day jobs being unavailable to react to military crises. Over time, though, I've seen a couple of Indie RPGs where heroes-with-craft-skills can work out surprisingly well, and I've really come around to the idea, at least in certain cases.

* 1. The 'delayed reaction' effect is a potential problem if heroes do *anything* besides fight. This is a subject that needs to be addressed as a fundamental question of game premise/assumptions/timescale.
* 2. Sooner or later the map runs out of major monster threats. If you want to keep playing, it would be interesting if at least a few hero classes had craft skills to keep them busy and contribute to the town's economy. Similarly, heroes might want to retire and settle down in their old age.
* 3. Some hero classes really *need* crafting skills to keep them occupied. Healers, for example, shouldn't really be directly involved in combat or warfare at all- they're supposed to be pacifists who abhor and shun violence and love all living things.
* 4. The kingdom may well have a legitimate need for a 'core' of full-time professional soldiers, but in that case, they probably need a regular salary of some kind, and could probably be ordered around directly. In other words, that's not the role of adventurers, but of a city watch or standing army.

So, yeah. Doubleplusgood agreement here.
4. The way monster spawning works needs to be adjusted through and through. Invariably if you are quick off the mark you can destroy a number of lairs quickly in maj2, thereby making the remainder of the level considerably easier. A game like majesty should not encourage rushing antics.
Personally, I feel the best way to implement this would be to have monster lairs spawn up to a fixed number of 'residents', who would attack the settlement in occasional massed raids rather than a steady trickle. I'd also like to see the severity of those raids start out very low and grow slowly but steadily- up to a limit- as your settlement expanded and they started to feel more threatened by your encroachment. This gives the player a bit of initial 'breathing room'- and perhaps even a chance to establish friendly relations with certain monster groups (such as charming animals using cultists or wooing barbarians using rangers)- while allowing for slightly more challenge in the later game.

I'm guessing this is probably something that would require a fair amount of trial-and-error, but that's my intuition anyways.
5. (this point should be higher up). Heroes without a shadow of a doubt need more personality. They need uniquie traits/characteristics to determine (influence) how they behave. A vampire hunter trait for a ranger for example, might make him much more responsive to attack flags on vampires. The stubborn trait might make a hero less inclined to retreat, and fight harder as he takes more damage etc.
100% agreed. What might be interesting is the idea of heroes/characters gaining or losing traits over time, to represent character development. In other words, traits wouldn't just feed into the attractiveness of a given activity, but that the success/failure of particular activities could induce the hero to adopt/abandon associated traits. And I want them to pass the Turing Test. ...And a toblerone.

Oh, while we're on the subject- I would like the game to stop treating henchmen as ever-renewing and oblivious cannon-fodder. It really undermines the game's core 'theme' when heroes are supposed to exhibit something vaguely resembling common-sense-personality-simulation yet peasants and tax collectors blithely allow themselves to be maimed by harpies, rather than running for cover (or, preferably, finding help.)
6. It would be nice for town buildings to have a bit more personality, I can understand why Maj2 went for a consistent architectural scheme, but it really brings out the character when the buildings are so different, as per maj1.
I wouldn't have described the architectural scheme for Maj1 as inconsistent per se, since it helped to give a sense of how radically different the various religious factions were, and how they came from different historical backgrounds. What I would agree with (as did Fal) was that their effects or requirements should be more pervasive or better integrated in terms of ambience.

e.g, Temples to Krypta or Rogues' Guilds should probably not be associated with flamboyant buildings like the royal gardens or straw-thatched cottages. Where are the oppressive slums!? Temples to Krolm and Fervus or Rangers' guilds should need to be out in the wilderness, or Temples to Dauros and Agrela might furnish craft goods that help promote fancier housing.

Personally, (though this is a minor issue,) given the evidence of a well-populated Eastern Provinces reflected in many of the buildings- royal gardens, temples to krypta and agrela, elven architecture- I'd love to see an Ardanian 'chinatown'. And where are the great cities of the east? (They must be there, but they're never expressly mentioned on the map of Ardania. Curiouser and curiouser.)
8. Co-op seems to be the order of the day, and it is infinitely more fun playing alongside someone else to achieve a palpable end (not just random maps but the actual campaign). Is something worth considering. However if that puts the idea of a MMPORG into your head, then stick with mainly singleplayer.
Yeah, co-op was fun. The only thing I'd say here is that trade skills might actually make this rather more interesting, in that settlements with different race/temple combinations might have different craft commodities available, thereby making trade much more profitable (as long as you can prevent their associated heroes from going for eachother's throats. *sigh*)
9. Like everyone here says-- sandbox.
What I'd actually love, rather than a purely randomised map-creation system, is to be able to pick an arbitrary point within the overall Map of Ardania in which to found a settlement, and be able to establish external trade/migration routes, either with known major cities (Volencia, Thallis, Valmorgen, etc.) or with settlements that you established in prior missions (assuming they got large enough to merit it.) Then there are possibilities for war, diplomacy, intrigue, etc. In other words, that the main 'game' would be the micro-scale for which something like a simplied version of Europa Universalis would be the macro-scale (a la the Empire view in Caesar III.)

I mean, I find the term 'sandbox' to be faintly perjorative, since it suggests that the only alternative to brutally railroading the player down a fixed plotline is to keep them in this insulated, safe environment where nothing can really harm them and no outside force will impinge on the character. I think the simulationist approach is just to consider the nature of the larger world and consider how the factions or politics at work there could affect the characters who live there- and conversely, how the player's actions, expressed through particular characters, could help shape the world or setting/situation at large.

I'm starting to think that maybe the remedy to these problems is not just constructive criticism and suggestions. I think the most effective way (at least in terms of getting it right) to effect positive change is to present a suggestion for the whole schema. This would make an interesting community endeavour. Not just a case of saying we want this and we want that and leave the developers to fill in the gaps, but to actually present the gap filling exercise ourselves. That is of course if we want this to be the majesty we want, rather than the one the developers decide to give us (ask us to pay for).

Fascinating as I find the idea, I'm skeptical this could be made to work.

1. Some members of the community want radically different things, to the point that getting general concensus on the issue would be a nightmare. I'm glad that some folks enjoyed Maj2 more than the original, but we might as well be from different planets.

2. You might try to see if particular demographics or subsets of the player base exist who *could* be reasonably catered for by a single product offering, but I doubt you'd get an adequate sample size at this stage. I guess that was always a problem with picking up a franchise ten years after the main event.

3. By all accounts, the success of a game is often in inverse proportion to the length and detail of it's design document. (I say this as someone extremely prone to drawing up design documents in hideously excessive detail that I then wind up throwing away most of. *sighs and shakes head*)

There. I have elaborated.

Oh, while we're on the subject- I would like the game to stop treating henchmen as ever-renewing and oblivious cannon-fodder. It really undermines the game's core 'theme' when heroes are supposed to exhibit something vaguely resembling common-sense-personality-simulation yet peasants and tax collectors blithely allow themselves to be maimed by harpies, rather than running for cover (or, preferably, finding help.)
On reflection, this is actually an area where Maj2 improves slightly over Maj1- henchmen attacked by monsters will try to run away, but only once directly injured. It rarely helps much, but it's something.

Last edited:
Alfryd said:
Personally, I feel the best way to implement this would be to have monster lairs spawn up to a fixed number of 'residents', who would attack the settlement in occasional massed raids rather than a steady trickle.

I think the Goblin lairs in Maj1 do that, they wait until enough Goblins are out before attacking you. Maybe the Ratman Sewer Mains in NE too...

2. Don't be constrained by what has gone before. Sometimes decisions are made in games to do things a certain way because there are substantial engine limitations. Don't think that because heroes had to destroy lairs by hitting them repeatedly till they were destroyed means that it always has to work like that. One idea is to have heroes actually enter lairs, and kill the monsters/burn them down from the inside. (Incidentally, remember the awesome loading screens in Maj1 where heroes were doing just that?) You might consider enabling building interiors full stop.

I am unsure about building interiors.

Lairs should offer more options like loot expeditions (one hero or several enter the lair/ruins to hunt treasure), thinning monster spawn and finally destruction.

Lairs should have several floors requiring heroes to team up (party) to explore to the end and possibly destroy it.

The requirement of forming a party for the lair to be destroyed might allow to keep the destruction of lairs to the player's choice.

Have finally played a significant amount of sims medieval.

The game is more of an RPG with direct control, however there is something unique.
Your PCs behave like NPC when not on quest. They will collect herbs, make lunches, and sell you stuff like any other autonomous NPCs.
I am in Agreement with Alfryd and HeroicSpur that majesty III should be more than just a continuous feast of monster killing. In that regard, sims medieval does provide a very good example of how to implement daily life and personality with its need and traits system.
Need is simple to explain, all characters have hunger and fatigue meters, the more these are depleted the more inclined they are to look for food/bed.
Trait is interesting - all characters have several inherent traits that alter their behavior and these are independent of their class - for example, someone can be a drunkard regardless which class he is. The combination of traits produce very interesting (or very unintresting, at times) characters.
The social interaction system also deserves mentioning. Sims socialize positively or negative depending on their existing relations when bumping into each other. There are interesting emergent behaviors such as friends will become better friends over time. People become friends if they interact on regular bases (and are not sociopaths). Or that friends of friends tend to be friends as well.

I also agree that extended period of peace is necessary to take advantage of in-depth simulation. In a game like majesty, it could be implemented as either very strong town defenses (such as a thick wall surrounding the entire player kingdom) or better timed monster waves, or a combination of both. Otherwise the player would just be too busy fighting for his life.

finally, if majesty wants to go in the "indirect RTS" direction, it should drop the fantasy kingdom sim subtitle.

Last edited:
Majesty's main direction is a kingdom dealing with monsters' problems.

The Sims's narrative takes place on one map (with possibility to move elsewhere) and the main direction is socialite direction.

The simulation part in Majesty series should occur at heroes' level, giving them more heroes' interactions with monsters and the environment relating to monsters.

Wishing for peace in a Majesty game is wishing for another type of game.

Have finally played a significant amount of sims medieval.
I've actually bought it, but it's presently being monopolised by family members.

I remember being quite fond of the original Sims- I particularly enjoyed picking out furniture and laying out floorplans for the house- but the total absence of zombies or fireballs eventually led to a waning of interest on my part.

The biggest difference I see is that the Sims allows direct control over the characters, which paradoxically often makes me feel less attached to them. Characters with independant agendas who mainly look after themselves come across as more 'real' to me.
Wishing for peace in a Majesty game is wishing for another type of game.
Well, FWIW, it seems be the type of game that Cyberlore were wishing for, given that Majesty: Legends was supposed to feature large city walls that keep the monsters out and let you plan your quests in peace and quiet. *shrugs*

What I'd look for personally is a game that had substantial interludes of peace and quiet, along with periods of massed warfare/raiding, and some periods of irregular questing that individual heroes or small parties could tackle on their own, but don't involve most of the citizenry. (e.g, hunt-the-cannibalistic-monster-down, rescue-the-princess-from-the-enemy-castle, find-the-ancient-relic-on-another-map, etc.) Traditional adventurer-type stuff.

If I had to suggest an 'ideal ratio', maybe something like 35% peace, 50% questing and 20% raiding/war. That gives each of the classes a reasonable opportunity to shine in their respective specialties. But you can't give, say, elves and healers a fair chance to 'be themselves' unless they have a spare moment to, for example, tend to the sick or entertain patrons at the inn. You can't really do that with monsters breathing down your neck at every turn. (Of course, the ratio might vary depending on the city's location and size, diplomatic coups or faux pas, and how you prefer to solve the kingdom's problems.)

Be wary of including too much realism at the cost of gameplay. I can see peace time, I can see aging, but hunger and thirst have destroyed nearly every game that have tried implementing them. I don't think this will serve the narrative of the game.

Be wary of including too much realism at the cost of gameplay. I can see peace time, I can see aging, but hunger and thirst have destroyed nearly every game that have tried implementing them. I don't think this will serve the narrative of the game.
I think there've been modifications for Fallout 3 that worked pretty well by being very strict about hunger/thirst, and it seemed to work okay in Quest for Glory 5 (though that simply had the hero eat automatically as long as you stocked enough food.) I'm not familiar with all that many examples, though, and the difficulties are magnified when an autonomous AI has to make these kinds of decisions.

EDIT: Also seemed to work okay in Blades of Exile. Again, auto-consumption.

Where did you feel it worked out particularly poorly? I'd like to know, since I've been pondering the subject of how far to push 'realism' myself...

Last edited:

The opposite: be wary of including too much of irrealism.

Hunger and thirst work poorly because the gameworld is generally too small to make hunger and thirst realistic elements.

When the game world can be crossed in one ingame day and that dungeoncrawling lasts three or four ingame hours, hunger and thirst have no realistic meaning.

Given the current size of gameworlds, the main setting that can introduce hunger and thirst realistically is a fall out like setting, that is a gameworld facing an overall shortage of food and water.

Sleep works well because generally the adventure lasts enough to introduce realistically lack of sleep. If sizeable effects of lack of sleep happen after three days of sleep deprivation IRL, all it takes is an adventure lasting more than 3 days to give a realistic shot at sleep.

Well, FWIW, it seems be the type of game that Cyberlore were wishing for, given that Majesty: Legends was supposed to feature large city walls that keep the monsters out and let you plan your quests in peace and quiet. *shrugs*

What I'd look for personally is a game that had substantial interludes of peace and quiet, along with periods of massed warfare/raiding, and some periods of irregular questing that individual heroes or small parties could tackle on their own, but don't involve most of the citizenry. (e.g, hunt-the-cannibalistic-monster-down, rescue-the-princess-from-the-enemy-castle, find-the-ancient-relic-on-another-map, etc.) Traditional adventurer-type stuff.

If I had to suggest an 'ideal ratio', maybe something like 35% peace, 50% questing and 20% raiding/war. That gives each of the classes a reasonable opportunity to shine in their respective specialties. But you can't give, say, elves and healers a fair chance to 'be themselves' unless they have a spare moment to, for example, tend to the sick or entertain patrons at the inn. You can't really do that with monsters breathing down your neck at every turn. (Of course, the ratio might vary depending on the city's location and size, diplomatic coups or faux pas, and how you prefer to solve the kingdom's problems.)

I dont know the Cyberlore project so I cant tell.

What is depicted is though a totally different project than what Majesty is.

Majesty is focused on heroes, there is no war. The Kingdom is not at war with monsters. The Kingdom has monster issues that are dealt by heroes at their own pace. Monsters are part of the daily life and resemble nothing like being at war. Even in war, the show goes on, artists perform, hospitals work and soldiers take leave.
No reason for wishing a large scale break for routine work as heroes can do what they are allowed to do, including taking a break from hunting monsters by going to a inn, resting at home or dealing with personal matters. Heroes organize their time according to their longings. It is all up to the King (player) to aggregate efforts when it is deemed necessary.

Furthering Majesty direction goes by furthering the heroes' motives to engage in various activity like hunting monsters regularly. Traits to modulate the frequency of hunt should be introduced in continuation of what was done already in Majesty through a class approach with wizards prefering to study rather than hunting and warriors making hunting their primary activity.

War and its contextual opposite peace are unmajesty like as Majesty is based on freelancing heroes, not on a concerted centralized effort like war is.

I think part of the issue in the discussions above is that we are thinking with the Majesty 2 paradigm to an extent, i.e. there must be plenty of monsters and plenty of fighting, otherwise the game will be dull and boring.

The whole point of introducing new elements, more questing and social interactions etc is not so that there are little novelties we can say 'ah thats pretty good' to, and then never pay attention to again. It is to actually add substantial game elements, so that there are things that the player and his/her heroes can do which are interesting and exciting beyond ploughing through waves of monsters (which is in itself good, but becomes tiresome when that is all you do).

One remedy to many of the problems which have been described is to really take the persistant world/kingdom idea to a new level. Suppose your kingdom functioned with substantially the same buildings and heroes throughout. (Incidentally if this were the case, you might consider buildings developing and improving like heroes, e.g. guilds gaining prestige and expanding etc) There could be a constant source of monsters for heroes to fight in a relatively safe and contained fashion, i.e. a few skeletons and zombies from the graveyards, rats from the sewers, werewolves on the periphery of the city etc. Heroes that particularly want to fight/explore can go out into the wilderness and hunt, or they might actually be able to raid the sewers and fight various ratmen there.

This would be ordinary everyday goings on of the kingdom. Heroes that don't want to engage in those activities can carry out other useful social functions, or do their own thing, such as going on quests to find treasure/knowledge/power, or self-appointed quests (also here the idea of friends mentioned above would be a phenomenal addition to the game). But, again emphasising the point about persistence, certain events could happen in the course of these everyday goings on. These might include word of impeding invasions, ratmen incursions, particularly powerful beasts terrorising nearby villages, or other 'urgent' quests which suspend normal operations, also for example his Majesty his fatally ill and his heroes must find a cure.

Also in regard to the comments about realism/irrealism, these are not things which are intended such as they would detract from the gameplay. However their absence can itself be damaging to gameplay. It is accepted that there is a difficult balance that must be made between these different elements, and failing in that balance can result in a skewed game - look no further than Majesty 2. However equally it must be appreciated that these are not entirely disparate elements. As Chien noted above, this is all part and parcel of one life.

What this all getting at essentially is really a method whereby a couple of key things can be achieved. 1. Achieving better hero development and attachment. 2 Opening up more gameplay options besides continuous fighting, both for the player and for his heroes.

One remedy to many of the problems which have been described is to really take the persistant world/kingdom idea to a new level. Suppose your kingdom functioned with substantially the same buildings and heroes throughout. (Incidentally if this were the case, you might consider buildings developing and improving like heroes, e.g. guilds gaining prestige and expanding etc) There could be a constant source of monsters for heroes to fight in a relatively safe and contained fashion, i.e. a few skeletons and zombies from the graveyards, rats from the sewers, werewolves on the periphery of the city etc. Heroes that particularly want to fight/explore can go out into the wilderness and hunt, or they might actually be able to raid the sewers and fight various ratmen there.

This would be ordinary everyday goings on of the kingdom. Heroes that don't want to engage in those activities can carry out other useful social functions, or do their own thing, such as going on quests to find treasure/knowledge/power, or self-appointed quests (also here the idea of friends mentioned above would be a phenomenal addition to the game). But, again emphasising the point about persistence, certain events could happen in the course of these everyday goings on. These might include word of impeding invasions, ratmen incursions, particularly powerful beasts terrorising nearby villages, or other 'urgent' quests which suspend normal operations, also for example his Majesty his fatally ill and his heroes must find a cure.

This vision would request very large maps. Majesty has three scales, one for terrain elements, the other for buildings (undersized) and heroes (supersized)

Pushing various locations like cemetaries, monsters roaming around the city would require a very large map. One issue with Majesty 2 is the small maps, compelled by
3D settings.

The introduction of certain elements like non questing social interactions diverts from Majesty main direction (new elements to expand on the questing social interactions are welcome)

Heroes are professional questors making a living out of quests. They are the backbone of the gameworld. Everything else is conceived to support them.

Introducing elements like war/peace or other major motivations than questing is wishing for a different type of game that Majesty was.

You raise some interesting observations Chien. The first thing I would say is that if you are not looking to expand and improve, to do what was not possible before (i.e. the much larger maps), then there's not really much point in making a sequel.

Incidentally one that has bugged me since the 3d revolution (the one in the late 90s), was that it's purpose was to open games out and allow players considerably greater freedom, as well as much better quality graphics. It bugs me a bit therefore, when you say 'One issue with Majesty 2 is the small maps, compelled by 3D settings.' Your point itself is valid, what bugs me is that as a point of principal that point should not stand. A rolling 3d landscape would be phenomenal. On top of that Majesty 3 should not be constrained by what the limitations of Majesty 2 are - that would be a nighmare. I think even the developers conceded at one point that their own engine was inadequate.

Your other point about heroes maintaining their focus is a very good one. They are there as professional questers, and the game should revolve around them.

However there are some issues. Firstly you mention that 'certain elements like non questing social interactions diverts from Majesty main direction'. What exactly is the main direction? Is it the one so ably demonstrated in Majesty 2 (i.e. fight till you drop?), or is it something else? I prefer the game is about heroes first and foremost, exercising their own personality and decisions whilst being prodded by the sovereign.

On a further note I think you might be falling victim to your own logic to an extent Chien. You mention that, 'Heroes are professional questors making a living out of quests. They are the backbone of the gameworld. Everything else is conceived to support them.' Everything here turns upon what you define as a 'quest'. In both Majesty game so far there has only been 1 type of quest, kill or destroy. At a stretch you might be able to include 'defend' in there with Majesty 2. I would almost be willing to go as far as to say that currently there is no such thing as questing in Majesty, and there never has been, killing a couple of goblins isn't really my idea of a quest -the only exception being the pursuit of bounties on lairs or individuals. Quite simply if you want the game to revolve around heroes there needs to be more depth there.

Without a shadow of a doubt there need to be more kinds of quests that heroes can go on, and get experience from. However, it is crucial to recognise that questing doesn't mean anything if there's nothing else. If heroes just trot from flag to flag killing as they go - it makes the game boring and pointless. They need to develop and improve outside of their questing regimen.

However, I can see where you are coming from. I think your concern is that by introducing too many superflous elements into the game, like hero relationships, and heroes planting flowers for the sake of it, sleeping and eating, does detract from the point of the game. I agree the game should not be overburdened with these features. However it would not be difficult however to make these different elements play a positive role in developing heroes to enhance their questing prowess. Take for example friendship, instead of the contrived system used in Majesty 2 where you choose your own parties, heroes who are friends should form parties themselves. Additionally heroes might behave differently around their friends, and more so if their friendship is stronger. If their friend is about to be killed they might not be so quick to run away. If their friend dies they might go beserk and kill anything within sight. Alternatively they might desperately ty to recover their friends body and get it resurrected (so you dont have to :) ). This is just one example but it shows how a non-questing related game element might translate into a better overall game experience.

Furthermore, these non-questing related social interactions might yield new traits and skills for heroes that beneift (or hinder) them in other ways. However this does all turn upon what you mean by 'non-questing related'.

The other thing about quests is who gives them. I'm concerned that you're seeing the game in a very narrow mechnical sense (which admittedly both Maj1 and 2 are). It is the sovereign who gives quests, if heroes don't have quests then they should be free to pursue their own. If that means randomly hunting monsters so be it, but if it means studying, or gambling, or stealing, then heroes should be free to do that.

Finally you talk about 'Introducing elements like war/peace or other major motivations than questing is wishing for a different type of game that Majesty was.' I don't want to get dragged into a technical definition of 'war' here. What needs to be borne in mind is that both Majesty 1 and Majesty 2 were divided into missions, you do one, then you do the next etc etc. All I was suggesting is that the 'gap' between finishing one and starting another, might be removed altogether. This would mean that one major quests flows on from another. On top of that there are quests in Maj1 and 2 where you have to repel an incursion, so I don't see why you can't have these kinds of quests.

It is essential to build a strong attachment not just to your heroes but also to your kingdom. The only way for that to happen is to have a greater level of persistence/continuity, which allows scopes for things to happen as surprises or unexpected difficulties (which is obviously where the challenge of the game comes from).

Last edited:
When the game world can be crossed in one ingame day and that dungeoncrawling lasts three or four ingame hours, hunger and thirst have no realistic meaning.
That's a good point.
Majesty is focused on heroes, there is no war. The Kingdom is not at war with monsters. The Kingdom has monster issues that are dealt by heroes at their own pace.
Well... I would say there are several quests that seem to depict or involve some kind of large-scale warfare, not only against monsters (Rise of the Ratmen, Hold off the Goblin Hordes) but also other heroes (Quest for the Magic Ring, The Siege.) Arguably, whenever the monsters attack in once-off massed raids, rather than as individual marauders, you're looking at some kind of war-like activity. (And then, of course, there's deathmatch MP.) At the moment, it simply doesn't look like war, because there are no city walls or garrisoned defenders, (or formations, but that wasn't untypical of medieval warfare.)

This may sound hypocritical, but I'm actually not averse to the notion of having a couple of troops that I could issue direct 'assignments' to as a form of 'city watch/militia', subject to some heavy caveats (i.e, 'loyal' means neither 'suicidal' nor 'not paid a regular salary'.) Being able to assign guardsmen/labourers/tax collectors (and possibly adepts/solarii) to particular gatehouses or set default patrol routes seems relatively harmless... but of course from there it's a small step to "assigning patrol routes" straight through the walls of an enemy city.

On the other hand, I don't see any other way to field siege weapons- they can't just get up and go exploring by themselves.
No reason for wishing a large scale break for routine work as heroes can do what they are allowed to do, including taking a break from hunting monsters by going to a inn, resting at home or dealing with personal matters. Heroes organize their time according to their longings. It is all up to the King (player) to aggregate efforts when it is deemed necessary.
As Maj2 demonstrated, this really only works up to a point. Heroes who, for example, go shopping for potions when peasants five feet away are being mauled by trolls and/or their own house is on fire really tend to strain suspension of disbelief.

To be honest, I'm of the opinion that the majority of heroes should respond defensively whenever the main settlement is under attack. Not everyone is an amoral Jayne Cobb mercenary willing to lounge away at the back of the bar as long as it's 'not my problem', and monks and paladins are most certainly not.
The introduction of certain elements like non questing social interactions diverts from Majesty main direction (new elements to expand on the questing social interactions are welcome)

Heroes are professional questors making a living out of quests. They are the backbone of the gameworld. Everything else is conceived to support them.

Introducing elements like war/peace or other major motivations than questing is wishing for a different type of game that Majesty was...
Again, this appears to be the type of game that the original developers were wishing for, since Majesty: Legends was supposed to incorporate options for diplomacy and use of the Charisma stat.

I think it's unfair to over-characterise the heroes as having a single function. Gnomes are certainly not avid quest-mongers, nor healers or monks by all appearances. This idea that heroes exist for the sole purpose of fulfilling quests (who, after all, are assigned by the player) is just a coded way of saying "They are only here to do what I want them to". If that's what you wanted, you'd rely exclusively on a standing army.

Last edited:
another idea.

I would like to add two cents on this topic.

I'd like to see less heroes with more personality. My reason is that heroes are paragons or champions of their ideals - in the other word, leaders. Having too many of them dilute their individual importance.

This also means a revamp to the party system - heroes should each be a party leader, they would be "supporting cast members" otherwise. So instead of two dozen heroes in five or six parties, you'd normally have five or six heroes lead two dozen henchmen.

Technically dedicating more CPU cycle per hero translates to deeper simulation for each hero. The henchmen can be idiots with level and stats and shouldn't take much processing power.

That's a good point.

As Maj2 demonstrated, this really only works up to a point. Heroes who, for example, go shopping for potions when peasants five feet away are being mauled by trolls and/or their own house is on fire really tend to strain suspension of disbelief.
In Majesty, heroes patrol the land, sometimes escorting the tax collector.

To be honest, I'm of the opinion that the majority of heroes should respond defensively whenever the main settlement is under attack. Not everyone is an amoral Jayne Cobb mercenary willing to lounge away at the back of the bar as long as it's 'not my problem', and monks and paladins are most certainly not.
Reads more like a player's wish, based on personal tastes than a design orientation.

Heroes assess every situation through their personality. Some might be loyal, others might not be. Loyal heroes get concerned by issues outside their quest range while others do not care. After all, heroes might come for a neighbouring kingdom.

It is all up to the player to favour the type of heroes he want, influencing their fate and selecting the type he wants.

Again, this appears to be the type of game that the original developers were wishing for, since Majesty: Legends was supposed to incorporate options for diplomacy and use of the Charisma stat.
This is going into circles. I dont know the project but the original developpers wishing for this or that does not change the fact that it would be a change in direction.
The original IP owners might have wanted a change in direction. Paradox being today the IP owner does not change the fact there were a change of direction between Majesty and Majesty 2.
I think it's unfair to over-characterise the heroes as having a single function. Gnomes are certainly not avid quest-mongers, nor healers or monks by all appearances. This idea that heroes exist for the sole purpose of fulfilling quests (who, after all, are assigned by the player) is just a coded way of saying "They are only here to do what I want them to". If that's what you wanted, you'd rely exclusively on a standing army.

A standing army sends back to war, no war in Majesty. The Kingdom in Majesty has monsters issues and recruit heroes to tackle the monster issues. Their main purpose is monster slaying. During their free time, they have indeed hobbies. It should not distract from their main purpose, that is to tackle the monster issues.

That's wishing for another game than Majesty. In the end, questing could be abstracted as work is in the Sims. While the Sims spend a third of work days hours at work, in vanilla, it is abstracted. Quite normal as the Sims angle is socialite and people at work main purpose is not to socialize. No needs to waste developpment resources on elements that are not the core of the game.

Incidentally one that has bugged me since the 3d revolution (the one in the late 90s), was that it's purpose was to open games out and allow players considerably greater freedom, as well as much better quality graphics.
They were selling points. Between selling points and the reality, the charm of marketing.

Sims started with a 2D isometric engine. Sims 2 introduced 3D. Sims 3 has a streamlined 3D engine allowing no loading time between each location on a map. All evolutions were amortized through cow milking strategies over dozens of add ans.

A luxury that a Majesty game will not get. Yet the size of the map is a capital issue. Eating can only be introduced if the map is large enough for heroes to feel hunger in a way that would diminish their capacity, leading to situations heroes might be afflicted by hunger.
If hunger effects show after two days and if it only takes one day to cross the map from one point to another, situations of hunger are to be minimal. Eating becomes an automatic success.

Sims has hunger through a realistic approach. Moral is key in the game and non eating turn people grumpy, eating boost morale etc, independent of how large the map is.

However, I can see where you are coming from. I think your concern is that by introducing too many superflous elements into the game, like hero relationships, and heroes planting flowers for the sake of it, sleeping and eating, does detract from the point of the game.

Not my point actually.

By quest, I mean quest, the action of searching for something. No personal definition here.

Planting herbs fits well. Healers plant herbs that rangers quest for to brew potions in order to prepare themselves for. But they are not lucrative quests. Heroes have to support themselves and therefore have to get involved into lucrative questing.

Heroes have free time and on that free time, they should get involved in activities like gambling, drinking at the inn and others. Establishing a specific time for free time activities to happen predominantly (peace time) is wishing for another game than Majesty. In Majesty, Heroes are individual units bound to the Kingdom in no other way than opportunities offered by the Kingdom like monster slaying. If their free time happens during a wave of monsters, it happens during a wave of monsters. This should not be changed. If heroes have enough money to last for a few days, they should not be interested in risking their life for money they do not need or because it endangers the Kingdom.

The general welfare of the Kingdom perspective has to be left to the player. Heroes must only focus on their individual welfare (which might include healers questing for people to heal or stuff like that because their code of behaviour includes helping people etc) Heroes must not be affected by a global synergy like war and peace concept.

If a hero needs money and there is no monster close to the city, then the hero travels far to find a monster etc

It is the sovereign who gives quests, if heroes don't have quests then they should be free to pursue their own. If that means randomly hunting monsters so be it, but if it means studying, or gambling, or stealing, then heroes should be free to do that.
They do that in Majesty. In Majesty, the allocation of time goes as the following:
-warriors prefer hunting over resting over exploring.
-wizards prefer resting over exploring over hunting.
-rangers prefer exploring over hunting over resting.

In the flow of quests, the player indicates which one should be tackled in priority by putting a greater reward on a quest.

My point is that whether or not Majesty 3 is the continuation of Majesty or it turns to be a different kind of game into the Majesty universe.

'Heroes have free time and on that free time, they should get involved in activities like gambling, drinking at the inn and others. Establishing a specific time for free time activities to happen predominantly (peace time) is wishing for another game than Majesty. In Majesty, Heroes are individual units bound to the Kingdom in no other way than opportunities offered by the Kingdom like monster slaying. If their free time happens during a wave of monsters, it happens during a wave of monsters. This should not be changed. If heroes have enough money to last for a few days, they should not be interested in risking their life for money they do not need or because it endangers the Kingdom.

The general welfare of the Kingdom perspective has to be left to the player. Heroes must only focus on their individual welfare (which might include healers questing for people to heal or stuff like that because their code of behaviour includes helping people etc) Heroes must not be affected by a global synergy like war and peace concept.'

Firstly I never said that there should be distinct components like war time then peace time etc. Again you are thinking of this rather mechanically, all I was saying is that there need to be periods when monsters are not so active, so heroes can do other things besides constant fighting. This does NOT mean that there would ever be periods where there are no monsters, and nor does it mean the game would function in a purely mechanical 'wave' system, ie. monsters attack, 2 min break, monsters attack, 3 min break etc. Secondly I expressley dealt with the war point above. While I agree the notion of war is not one that is really appropriate here, there are no armies etc etc. Does that mean though that you would exclude any possibility of large scale incursions? Periods of particularly high monster activity? Personally I would want the game focus to be on heroes exploring and developing, but it would make the game rather dull if there were no crisis moments every now and again. On top of that, if you, as a hero, heard that a massive goblin incursion was impending, wouldn't that affect how you would think and behave? You might be less reluctant to travel alone, quicker to buy equipment and potions, or even hide in terror in your guild :)))

Finally you say, 'My point is that whether or not Majesty 3 is the continuation of Majesty or it turns to be a different kind of game into the Majesty universe.' I really don't see what the issue is here. If you want the same game repackaged, why have a sequel? In my mind the whole point of sequels is to introduce new game elements and features that could not have been introduced before (although that oh so rarely happens, more often than not they take them away for some strange reason), either because of temporal or technical limitations. Technology is advancing and games should advance with it. My take on this whole thread was that, with a new game engine, what could be added that's new? Your point about the game being a different kind of game if some of these elements were introduced does not stand imho. As I've already said if you want the same game with the same rules and features there is no point of a sequel. However if you look to the spirit of the Majesty games, that is where you improve. What were the developers trying to do? What were they intending to do? What would they have done if they had the resources? As Alfyrd noted above, the developers were intending a lot of what we're talking about here in Majesty Legends.

However I think even trying to achieve the spirit that the developers were intending is not necessarily a good idea. I think especially at the (admittedly pointless here) ideas stage we should not be limiting ourselves prematurely. If the very people who play the game lack ambition, and don't want a substantially better game, why on earth should the developers then produce something that pushes boundaries (in a positive way)?

As far as I'm concerned Majesty 1 was a good game and Majesty 2 was an average game. Majesty in principle can produce a truely exceptional game, and I mean that literally, it has an astonishingly wide scope for original and innovative game concepts. If you're looking for something that stays within parameters of the previous game I think that's only inviting Majesty 3 to be another average game. Taking hero development, hero AI, kingdom development, exploration and questing to new levels is exactly what the spirit of Majesty is about -this is what the discussion thus far has been about and these should be pushed as far as they can go. It will not be the same as previous majesties by the letter, but it would be in spirit.

On a final final note, Nerdfish stated, 'I'd like to see less heroes with more personality. My reason is that heroes are paragons or champions of their ideals - in the other word, leaders. Having too many of them dilute their individual importance.

This also means a revamp to the party system - heroes should each be a party leader, they would be "supporting cast members" otherwise. So instead of two dozen heroes in five or six parties, you'd normally have five or six heroes lead two dozen henchmen.'

I agree with this. I think having too many heroes defeats the perception of a hero. If they mass-produced, ten-a-penny, are they really heroes? I think this is what might have encouraged the situation in Majesty 2, where heroes are really just units, fighting in RTS. If you really want to focus on development there need to be either fewer heroes, or larger maps. I also think that the way heroes are 'recruited' should function a bit differently too. Currently players build a guild, then hire heroes from that guild. I would like to see a more organic system where heroes might either arrive/be attracted to your kingdom, or some of your kingdom residents might have something special about that lets them develop into heroes (maybe tell them apart by giving them a slight glow). Once you have a hero your kingdom that hero can then establish a guild on his own initiative , after petitioning the sovereign for funds to help start it. That hero then becomes the guild master, and then other heroes or apprentices follow in his wake. Different positions within a guild would confer certain bonuses/traits or responsibilities.

I'm getting a bit carried away here, but I would also take hero class development up a notch. In Majesty 2 the very good idea was introduced of allowing heroes to become a different kind of class. I would add many more stages to this process, and further take it out of the sovereigns hands as to which way they go. This would be determined by their personality and existing traits. For example rather than having warriors who just keep levelling up happily. You might begin with commoners/guards--who becomes squires---who become warriors---who become champions etc etc. But again this kind of notion would require more persistence to be workable, your heroes and kingdom would need to carry over. Otherwise you would go through a heck of a lot of planning and development and then just start over next mission/quest, which wouldn't be good.

Last edited: