• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
so any progress on this? Just want to drop by to give you my support. Thanks for the huge service to M2 community

What kind of progress are you expecting? This mod took them 2 years to make (from 2009 to 2011) and was than released in 2011. It's been out for 3 years already. The links for downloading are in the first post. If those are so old that they no longer work, it's also up at this FTP site:

It can be downloaded from here with your browser or via a ftp-client program:
(Copy and paste the following line if you use a browser)

ftp://37.251.10.197

The FTP-server will prompt you for a login-name and password:

Enter as login: Cold
and as password: Sunrise

Reactions:
As of now, I don't really see the point in support for the game. The community is dead, my schedule is very busy and all my fellow comrades are busy with their lives (most of us are 25-35 now, and life priorities changed).

I still have an unfinished patch that would be a nice finishing touch for the game. However, if I am ever to work on it, it will be only for my own amusement and amusement of those 5 (maybe even 7!) crazy M1-M2 players who still love this game/title, and dwell silently on these forums; as lonely shadows of once flourishing community...

Reactions:
As of now, I don't really see the point in support for the game. The community is dead, my schedule is very busy and all my fellow comrades are busy with their lives (most of us are 25-35 now, and life priorities changed).

I still have an unfinished patch that would be a nice finishing touch for the game. However, if I am ever to work on it, it will be only for my own amusement and amusement of those 5 (maybe even 7!) crazy M1-M2 players who still love this game/title, and dwell silently on these forums; as lonely shadows of once flourishing community...

If you finish the patch, I would certainly play it.

Reactions:
Fml what a nightmare to register on these forums and then actually access the Majesty 2 sub forums.
But made it :)
Me and my wife play it constantly.
Cold Sunrise is one hell of a good expansion.
We, and I think many many others who have trouble registering, are very much looking forward to your new patch Hapuga :)
So if you would find the time to finish it, it will be very very much appreciated :)
You are a star in the community.

Reactions:
Yeah I'd lilke to see a patch too ! :)
Sometimes I think someone should try to redo majesty 2 (and maybe call it majesty 3 then !), with some different mechanics, something which would work less around money would probably be even more fun, but it's already very refreshing compared to most games of the moment, so yeah please find time !

Reactions:
Also apparently the enemy is more organized, moving units in groups and attacking anything they encounter on the road, but maybe it's too organized for majesty 2 because there is no easy way to put something to counter this (groups using inns, ok, but you don't have time for this in the 1st mission of the campaign !).

Oh, also, the original majesty 2 authors don't seem to have noticed that, but the part which is the most addictive in majesty 2 is NOT the difficulty, actually too much difficulty ruins the fun, it's more about fun and original, sometimes spectacular situations, I sometimes think it would be good to remake the game with less focus on money and more on unity, it would probably be even more addictive !

I agree with the difficulty part, but I think the problem is less with the degree/immediacy of opposition per se and the problem that the game tends to force you into the same strategy for dealing with a map over and over again. There are only a few guilds available to start, and the exponential building-costs sort of oblige you construct a near-even mix of each, or you're quickly overwhelmed. (Then by the time you get access to the extra races and temples, you have enough of the map cleared that the challenge is sorta gone.)

(I should mention that my experience here is limited to vanilla Maj2, however- never really got into the expansions.)

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by spectacular situations, but I do think that Majesty's psychological appeal is rooted more in the personalities of the characters than it is escalating difficulty or well-defined win-conditions per se. And yes, Maj2's developers never seemed to grasp that.

Yeah I'd lilke to see a patch too ! :)
Sometimes I think someone should try to redo majesty 2 (and maybe call it majesty 3 then !), with some different mechanics, something which would work less around money would probably be even more fun, but it's already very refreshing compared to most games of the moment, so yeah please find time !

Yeah, sometimes I think about how cool it would be to assemble a team and just redo it from scratch, what a cool challenge it is :D Especially looking at Krom's and Lewin's success with Knights & Merchants Remake. This game is much more difficult, however, and there is only that much I can do alone. I can build a descent rendering system on DX11/GL4.3, write tools for modelers and artists, etc... But that's pretty much my limit, I can't write a good networking system, or a metareflection... In other words, I'd need another 3-4 experienced and dedicated programmers just to make the basic mechanics work :)

Majesty HD and Majesty 2 Collection have been released on GOG. They are a vendor that specializes in DRM-free media. This might make it easier to mod the games, depending on how the DRM was implemented.

Good question. I'd take a look. The biggest problem with modding was that the main resource archive was read-only. And the .mod folder that was provided for modding was not very flexible. Plus still no way to add new sounds for heroes, as that was stored in the localization.

Regarding Majesty HD, it seems someone has made progress trying to mod Majesty Gold HD and the .CAM files. See here (although you may have to create a hero before you can access the forums). I haven't been able to try it but have looked at the files a bit following his instructions.

EDIT: yeah, first go to the home page, register a hero, and access the forums and go to General and you should see the Mod thread near the top.

I am hoping that this makes it possible to transplant most of Majesty HD's assets and AI into Majesty 2. The latter game may be flawed when it comes to the NPCs, but the interface is much friendlier.

Hello,

So, I played the original game quite a bit when it first came out, and have now bought the expansions and am getting back into it. Is this something I should install? I can't get a sense from this forum if it is finished or not.

I am hoping that this makes it possible to transplant most of Majesty HD's assets and AI into Majesty 2. The latter game may be flawed when it comes to the NPCs, but the interface is much friendlier.

I'm guessing you didn't look at the thread. It just seems to be able to give the ability to change what kind of monsters are in dens, items in dens, hero abilities... nothing about AI or interface.

archcoren said:
So, I played the original game quite a bit when it first came out, and have now bought the expansions and am getting back into it. Is this something I should install? I can't get a sense from this forum if it is finished or not.

What are you asking? Whether you should install Maj2? The Cold Rise expansion? Majesty Gold HD?