• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
From the POV of the sovereign I always thought Fairgrounds were a waste of time and gold.
You have to upgrade your Palace to level 3, then spend 3K to build it, then, in order for it to generate any significant money, you have to keep it filled with heroes (who now can't defend your kingdom).
Even at their best, they can't even come close the gold you get from a single level 3 market with elves (i.e. over 2000 GP/day if your palace is level 3).

In the gold edition, at least, I can guarantee you they do raise their stats there, just not intelligently. I'm a huge fan of giving 15000 gold to a hero to artificially boost him and yeah, they are rather dumb with a huge amount of gold, delaying one time purchase forever and ever. Btw, if you want to see a lot of the possibilities in a hero mental tree, just stone them. When they come back, they'll reselect from their current choice. If you have an empty map, for example (you can even remove the sewers with the cheat, leaving only trolls), the options will be a lot more stable and thus you can gather the tree from it.

Although the annoying thing about that is that "magic" tournaments lure anyone in who can cast magic. And with the library, that's, well... anyone! So "magic" tournaments end up being the same as "combined", luring all your heroes instead of just mages, priestesses and healers :(.

I didn't pay much attention to the other classes, but even then, wizards seemed to be doing pretty well in tournaments. Their intelligence should be higher than that of most other classes (though you wouldn't always believe it based on their suicidal behavior :rolleyes: ), which probably means they have better chances of winning and therefore gain experience faster.

DorthLous said:
In the gold edition, at least, I can guarantee you they do raise their stats there, just not intelligently.
Really? There's a "raising stats at the fairgrounds" behaviour that crops up, or is just something they can do optionally when "competing"?
Dumble Dwarf said:
From the POV of the sovereign I always thought Fairgrounds were a waste of time and gold.
You have to upgrade your Palace to level 3, then spend 3K to build it, then, in order for it to generate any significant money, you have to keep it filled with heroes (who now can't defend your kingdom).
On some maps it's not a bad option. You'll spend 5K or more to get a fully-upgraded marketplace, and if elves aren't available, 1000+ gold per day is a decent investment for your money. Plus, it allows heroes to gain experience during periods when there aren't any monsters around, and you can always 'evict' visitors if you need them to respond to a crisis. I always get a fairgrounds ASAP if I'm playing The Fertile Plain.

Otherwise, I just like to get it for the sake of completeness, and because it gives my heroes something extra to do, so it feels like more of a 'Sim'.

Can't remember exactly, though I remember they had a different icon pop above their head when they exited the fairground and did it. Think there was another status, something like "Visiting the fairground" or something the like, which wasn't "Competing in the fairground", but of that I am uncertain. It's been a bit since I've looked at that in detail :) Btw, it's so great to have so many players of the original here :)

I used Fairgrounds almost exclusively for magic contests to level up the wizards. At low levels, they got killed too easily if you didn't constantly babysit them; a Fairgrounds was a safe way for them to gain enough levels to take care of themselves.
The fairgrounds isn't that great for leveling because in order to insure the hero gains a level you have to have at least four heroes in the tournament (i.e. a whole guild full of heroes). In addition, the tournaments take awhile to complete. Rarely, in an actual quest did one have the luxury of tying up that many heroes for an extended period of time.

For wizards, instead of upgrading the palace and building a fairgrounds, I'd place the wizard's guild deliberately in harms way along a vector favored by whatever monsters were attacking (ideally with the 'door' away from the incoming monsters). by the time you recruit a few wizards a monster of some sort will typically wander up to the guild and attack it. This instantly prompts any wizard inside or nearby to go berserk and start blasting the monster(s). Once you have a 2-3 wizards in a battle the monsters fall fairly quickly. If the door is far enough away from the attacking monster, you can be reasonably assured that the monster(s) will die by the time it stops attacking the building and walks around the other side to try and get to the wizard(s). If this wasn't the case, an Invisibility spell was usually enough intervention insure he killed the attacker(s). Somewhere between 3-5 level a wizard is self-sufficient enough to leave alone most of the time.

The fairgrounds only seemed useful for continuing after the quest was over and there weren't enough monsters to level your heroes.

MMmmm for me, Fairgrounds has always made a great difference on the leveling of my heros, that´s probably beacuse i usually have many at that time so the probability of decent contests of 4-5 inside are above 65%.

I have the expansion of Majesty and find it extremely difficult and boring to try it so i can´t tell about it´s use there but in the original quests i used fairgrounds a nice amount of times, and, unless you are desperate on finishing a quest "the sooner the smartest you are" (wich for me is not enjoying the game), there it is, the use of fairgrounds with your roster of more than 30 heros. One of the things i enjoy of games like this one is to get to build everything without any kind of stress to do it.

I think that if you have more than 30 heros, you should already have the upper hand in the quest, unless they're all on type of hero :) 30 heros wandering around doing their thing pretty much takes care of the map.

yeah, i see the most interesting thing on quests for me is to taste them rather to beat them. That is another way to taste the game, to enjoy it in a more, relaxed, expansed, full way. It´s a way to relieve stress.

Many people find videogames as stress relievers so you´ll get what talking about.

hha, online play in every game is just some stressful thing. I don´t need that. I don´t need competition. I need enjoyment of the travel.

Last edited: