• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've never played Russia myself and from what I've seen here it may be a bit too hard for me....

Brandengurb III has limited himself severely with many house rules. A fully emancipated, constitutional, liberated Russia has about 80-90% of its population as state cultures (russian, belorussian, ukrainan, polish), has a lot of resources, and can be turned into an industrial giant, but requires a lot of micromanaging.

Brandenburgs appraoch, opting not to liberalize, to remain a backwards, opressive, very much OTL Russia resulted in what these policies resulted in OTL: a mess held together by the army.

Still, a very nice gameplay considering your self-inflicted limitations. Sault, I say.

Excuse all the errors, I'm getting sick.

Impressive, been following it from about halfway through.

I would probably have been easier (and much more boring) if you had tried to go for a zero BB approach, staying put in Europe while going to war in Central and Eastern Asia against uncivs and grabbing what you could in Africa and the Pacific. It seems you actually actively pursued risky foreign wars!

Magnificent. I think this would be incredibly nice to convert to HoI and play it there too, because Vicky gives the option to peace out, now there has to be a world war, to the end. to the death.
and Preferably a three-way one.

For the big three alliances I'm thinking Spain-Russia-France as PA-PA-FA (France still revanchist), USA-China-Austria-Italy as SC-PA-PA-SC, UK-Germany-Japan-Ottoman as SC-PA-FA-PA, mainly because democratization did not get a boost from the world war one (no such things as labour shortage because of the war, hence little or no emancipation, women suffrage, etc. It would also make for a much more volatile 'who will declare war first')
oh and there could be tons of other-timeline-events, for instance the losing side will turn communist, get some boni and goes at it again (sort of like bitter peace is)

The results are a bit surprising, though not too much so.

You do have a magnificent navy, however :p

Nicely done and good luck with your next AAR.

I lurked during the whole thread, but now that you're done I just wanted to say well done. Your military was very impressive, and the fact that you held on so long as a monarchy in Russia speaks to your skill. I enjoyed this AAR!

I also was a shameless lurker, but I very much enjoyed seeing Russia played in this way. Your autocracy and paranoia were worthy of the Tsars themselves!

I think you probably would have done better to befriend either Germany or Austria and been less agressive, concentrating on central Asia and China. Having said that, it was always going to be hard. Well done!

Wow, this has turned into a big coming out party, hasn’t it. Wait, this isn’t an intervention or anything is it? Because I have the entirely wrong kind of drink sitting next to me. :cool:

Beamed: Electricity is for sissies :cool:

The next AAR will be a month or little more than a month away.

Phax: I’m not sure really. Outside of the colonial war with Spain, France was relatively untouched throughout except for those few pointless wars with Austria. I think what happened to the British Fleet/Army in the early 1900's - AI disbanding for no reason? - is what happened to the French later in the game. It explains why Sicily was so brave in declaring war on France a few times and why Spain simply rolled over France in that colonial war.

Leviathan07: After I looked up the German armies in the ledger, I decided a colonial war was best ;) My troops had a lot of space to cover and Germany not so much. With their condensed armies and mobilization yet to come, I would’ve easily been overrun. And really, the only reason I declared the colonial war on Germany in the first place was so they wouldn't declare and I wouldn’t get slammed in the last few years. :cool:

Davisx3m: The colonial war with Germany and GB went right up to the end of the game. So the African borders between those countries are a little skewed. And the Ottoman Empire, after sucking in that puppet in North Africa they have from the start, toward the last few years they released it, allowing for the splotches in their part of North Africa. It could’ve all turned out worse though.

rhynoclemmis: I make sure to end every AAR I start. One reason why I stopped reading so many AARs was because they have such high mortality rates.

This was the first time I played Russia but it shouldn’t turn you off if you’re interested. Remember, I had no democracy at all, no reforms or anything like that. I’m sure it’d be much easier. Also, as its been mentioned by a commenter somewhere near the start, if you “lose” the Crimean War, apparently you receive a number of accepted cultures. It seems a little backwards to make a player want to lose a war but...

I haven't played this version of VIP too much but it seems like Austria gets a little help from VIP much like Texas receives help (primarily if the player controls it.)

TheExecuter: I lost the great power status somewhere during the war with China. Prestige was really my biggest problem. There just aren’t enough events to allow Russia to have high prestige.

Enewald: I’ll just post something in Muse when that's finished. :cool: I hate it when AAR writers come back a month or more later only to advertise another AAR. Its equally as bad as when an author responds to each comment as its posted, inflating the comment/view count.

Herbert West: And I think it may be my last gameplay. :eek:

Gah, we need a picture in here to break up all the text! How about an almost completed pic I created but will never use for Muse?

20890uv.jpg

Ah, better. :)

Misconstruction: The trouble with colonization is by the time I was allowed to colonize Africa and the Pacific, the other powers (France, Britain, Germany) had already been allowed for a few months meaning I had nowhere to colonize. That’s the only reason I sold Hawaii later on. Colonization as Russia is an impossibility unless the player is very pro-active in securing African coastal provinces or boxing in Arabia.

As for the uncivs in Asia, I had been watching Afghanistan for a while in an eventual hopeful plot to expand the border against Persia late in the game. But whenever I looked, Afghanistan was guaranteed by Britain. Toward the last twenty years I checked in on Afghanistan every few months but didn’t find an opening until the last few years.

Destroying China war after war was another possibility but I didn’t want this turning into one of *those* of AARs. They happen too often.

Juan_de_Marco: I thought about it but decided against transporting this into HOI2. I’m also not very good at the HOI series, probably because I play it the least. ;)

But if I had, the parties would have to be: UK, US & possibly France or Japan. Another set, Germany, Austria and possibly France. The last would have to include Russia, OE, possibly Spain or Japan.

The OE would have to be included with Russia due to the satellite status and Japan because relations have always been high except for the event-driven war in the early 1900's. Japan also had decent relations with US which could’ve provided an interesting setup. China would have to be guaranteed by Japan but only if Japan were in the US/UK alliance.

Italy wouldn’t matter so much since they never formed but they would fall into the German/Austrian alliance. And using the borders they have left, they’d be minor league considering how big of a chunk Austria owns but as you mentioned, an event could be created to fix such things.

Whether or not there would be balance issues is another topic but considering only governments, relations, and possible reactions to publicized alliances, the world would almost have to fall into these three categories.

kossmikman: I’ve already ordered new business cards. :cool:

RGB: I figured if I couldn’t finish first, I’d at least have a decent navy.

AesirKnight: I don’t think it was so tough. It was more annoying with all the rebel popups than anything else. If Britain hadn't had the colonial war with Germany that never ended, I'm sure I would've lost a lot of land in those last decades.

AllmyJames: When you’re weak you almost have to be paranoid.

Remember I had tried befriending Prussia but when they turned into Germany, our relations shot down to nothing. By that time my bb was starting to get too high to have any alliance accepted which was too bad because Germany and Russia could become a powerhouse. Rather than smash Germany with a French/Russia alliance, I believe a German/Russian alliance is far better. It frees up thousands of troops on the borders, would allow Germany to go south or west while Russia carves up Asia, the Middle East and eastern Europe.

I think you should do the exact opposite now, taking a small and/uncivilised nation and turning it into an evil communist/fascist industrial powerhouse!
"What's that on the horizon?"
"I'm afraid that's the main battle fleet of the Second Hawaiian Empire. We are doomed!"

Productive writer, huh?

I think you should do the exact opposite now, taking a small and/or uncivilised nation and turning it into an evil communist/fascist industrial powerhouse!

I suggest that you all go read the Dark Muse.
It's a really awesome tale.
I'd suggest it for everyone.
It also won just an award. :D

Phax: It’ll definitely be a narrative. I think I’m going to do those from here on out excepting my megacampaign. As for the country, I like playing countries that aren’t often played. For example, I believe I had the first Yaroslavl AAR in EU3... my current CK AAR begins from the Count of Krain and while this project was a more popular country, it wasn’t played in a typical way. So I’m thinking a country rarely played...

Misconstruction: Not so much productive rather the Paradox forums are free and that’s a boon in a dismal economy. ;)

rhynoclemmis & Leviathan07: I’m sure Hawaii is doomed no matter who is controlling it. Unless the player ends up having so much luck everyone thinks he’s cheating.

I do think I could do something with Oman but I've already chosen my country. I have no more news on it for now.

A nice AAR Brandenburg. But why, oh, WHY did you peace out with the OE in the last war, when you were only two provinces from getting them as vassals and gaining lots of land from them? Other than the provinces you occupied, you would only have needed to occupy Beograd and Tirane IIRC.

Nikolai: I try to not learn the paths one must take to fire certain events, however, when I do I’ve tried doing my best to forget them. But I honestly didn’t know that was possible.