unmerged(48229)

Second Lieutenant
Sep 3, 2005
Ok, first of all, I'd like to warn you that this is my first attempt to write an AAR ever. So, give me constructive criticism, so that I could make it better, but don't expect toooo much! ;)

pic00jf.jpg

“In God faithful and to the tsar a loyal servant, I, Nikola Ioanitza, a scholar from the Tarnovo School, write these lines to preserve the truth of our past for the generations to come. In the previous three volumes of my work I have collected and recorded information of the Bulgarians from three different time periods: from before the establishment of Danubian Bulgaria (before the year 681 after the birth of Christ, our Saviour), from the First Bulgarian kingdom (from the year 681 until the year 1018 after the birth of Christ) and from the beginning of the Second Bulgarian kingdom (from the year 1185 until the year 1371 after the birth of Christ). In this fourth and last volume I have gathered all the information from written and verbal sources about the recent Bulgarian history. The interpreted story begins in letoe Gospodne (year of God) 6879 after the creation of the world, or 1371 after the birth of Christ the Lord, when Tsar Ivan Shishman succeeded his father Tsar Ivan Aleksandar and took the Bulgarian crown. But Bulgaria was in a very unpleasant situation then – it was divided to three smaller and weaker kingdoms:

pic15zo.jpg

The kingdom of Tarnovo, where Ivan Shishman reigned;
pic20bm.jpg

the kingdom of Bdin, which was the realm of Ivan Shishman’s brother, Ivan Stracimir;
pic35kf.jpg

and Dobrudzha, under the rule of despot Delian.
pic40cv.jpg

And although Tarnovo was the rightful descendant of the once mighty Bulgarian empire, it was now reduced to a weak and undefended town.
pic56nk.jpg

It had only some basic structures, but the walls around it had crumbled down, due to negligence and the will of time.
pic65yk.jpg

To make things worse, Tarnovo was in a state of war with the great Byzantine Empire.
pic76ju.jpg

Ivan Shishman knew that he was too weak to fight this eternal enemy of Bulgaria and one of the first things he did was to send an emissary to Constantinople, asking for peace. He didn’t count much on that, but to his great surprise the Romeans* quickly accepted. Perhaps they were having bigger problems with the infidels in Asia Minor...
pic83gi.jpg

Inspired by his diplomatic success, the tsar sent another messenger – this time with a trade proposal.
pic921tl.jpg

pic913zh.jpg

Emperor Andronicus was curious to see what goods we could trade with him and agreed again.
pic104nk.jpg

Quickly, before luck abandons him, Ivan Shishman signed a trade agreement with another worthy force on the Balkan Peninsula – Uros IV and the kingdom of Serbia. It seemed as our luck had no end...
pic1127xh.jpg

pic1117kr.jpg

The tsar was from a long time a married person and already had two grown up sons: the crown prince Radomir and the younger Mikhail.
pic123jt.jpg

pic134qf.jpg

Using the chance, he sent the two brothers to act as traders in Byzantium and in Serbia and soon money began to quickly fill the state’s coffers.
pic140ud.jpg

This trade mission was very successful and 1000 gold coins were immediately spent on a new building project – fletcheries were starting to be built all across the country. Ivan Shishman knew a battle was coming sooner or later and that the peace with Byzantium was only postponing it, so he had to prepare his country for the clash on the battlefield.
pic155qx.jpg
pic161ri.jpg

But still, he was a patient man and wanted to give peace a chance. He arranged another meeting with Emperor Andronicus and offered him a gift of 670 gold coins as a sign of good will.
pic178pj.jpg

Of course, the emperor accepted them, but that didn’t really have any influence on the relations between the two countries.
pic185ae.jpg

In the next visit to Constantinople the Bulgarian emissaries offered Byzantium a pact of non-aggression, hoping that the gift would still be remembered. But it wasn’t…
pic194nv.jpg

“Witless son of a lecherous goat, huh? We’ll see about that!”, were the thoughts, which haunted Shishman’s mind. “I’ve sent you 670 gold coins, but relations between us are still troubled?! Well, that’s not because of my fault, you, Romean pig!”
pic205ss.jpg

But anger quickly abandoned the tsar and he decided to give it another try. This time he offered them a marriage between the crown prince Radomir and princess Elena.
pic218ks.jpg

But the answer was still “troubled”… “Now that does it! If they were wise enough, they would’ve thought twice before giving me such answer. Our old and great Khan Krum the Terrible warned them the same way some 5 centuries ago. But did Nikifor Genik listen to him then? No. He invaded Moesia, burned down the old capital of Pliska and that was his last mistake. “If you don’t want peace, here’s an axe!”, but his hollow head didn’t listen. And it remained hollow, serving as a wine cup of the “weak barbarian chieftain”, after it was cut off from the rest of his body, during the battle of Veregava pass. Andronicus, the same fate awaits you if you continue this way!”
pic222cm.jpg

The fletcheries were already finished and we could build our first real troops.
pic238yl.jpg

The tsar could already see himself, waving his sword and claiming the new Bulgarian lands and he had no doubts of the fulfilment of his visions! It was only a matter of time when a new power would emerge and retake its rightful place among the greatest…

pic00jf.jpg

*That’s how the Byzantines were called in those times (Romeioi). The term Byzantine was “invented” around the XVIth century.​

P.S. I'm having a little trouble with the pics here - I can't post them as images in the board if their height is over 5 cm. So I had to cut and resize them a little, for which I appologize!

unmerged(48229)

Second Lieutenant
Sep 3, 2005
Anguille said:
Great start....

About the pictures...it's strange...what do you use, imageshack?
Thanks!
About the pics: Yeah, imageshack! I don't know other sites for free image upload (except one, but it's local, so it won't work)...

Btw I thought it isn't hard to write an AAR, but now, after it took me more than three hours only with taking care of the pictures...

elvain

Africa & MidEast cartographer
34 Badges
Jan 20, 2004
www.rome.webz.cz
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Great start, Nike, I really like it ;)

do you use .jpg images? it's strange that they are loaded so long... It's strange whole this picture problem...

unmerged(41316)

Private
Mar 12, 2005
Good start Nike. I hope you'll spare Serbia ;)

About the images, you have certan limitations on this board before you reach 10 posts, you can't send PMs or view user profiles, so maybe it also aplies to the images.

elvain

34 Badges
Jan 20, 2004
www.rome.webz.cz
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
Nike said:
Ah, I hope so! Then maybe I should "spam" a little before posting a second chapter... ;)
yea, come on and spam a little.. :)

unmerged(48229)

Second Lieutenant
Sep 3, 2005
Ok, I'm back and I'll continue the AAR as soon as I can (although I start school tomorrow).
Btw does anybody know a way I can save screenshots without ALT+TABing? Cuz it's really annoying to ALT+TAB and then paste in Paint everytime I want to "shoot the screen"...

elvain

34 Badges
Jan 20, 2004
www.rome.webz.cz
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
Unfortunately I can't help you as I always use ALT+TAB too :(

elvain

34 Badges
Jan 20, 2004
www.rome.webz.cz
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
Nike said:
Btw the AAR might come even later, cuz I'm in a mess right now. There's even some chance that I might be conscripted for military training soon... :(
let's hope you won't be...

Your government should turn your army to be proffesional ;)

unmerged(48229)

Second Lieutenant
Sep 3, 2005
Ok, finally! So far, it seems that the militaries are gonna wait for me for at least another year. And in 2007 the whole army would be only from professional soldiers... That's why I guess I could continue the AAR: pics are taken and edited, some of the story's written and tonight I'll finish, upload and post the second chapter. Hope it'll be good enough!

elvain

34 Badges
Jan 20, 2004
www.rome.webz.cz
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
Nike said:
Ok, finally! So far, it seems that the militaries are gonna wait for me for at least another year. And in 2007 the whole army would be only from professional soldiers... That's why I guess I could continue the AAR: pics are taken and edited, some of the story's written and tonight I'll finish, upload and post the second chapter. Hope it'll be good enough!
perfect! ;)
I like these news ;)

unmerged(48229)

Second Lieutenant
Sep 3, 2005
Sorry for this another delay of mine, but I forgot that going to school means not staying in front of the PC! :rolleyes: But fortunately, today's our Independence Day, so there's no school until Monday. And I had some time to write something fast:

=========================================================

Pic-0.jpg

Chapter II:

“It was in the year 1373 of the embodiment of our Lord or 6881 after the Creation of this world. The preparations for war in the tsardom were going well – six months had already passed since fletcheries were built in every bigger city in the region of Tarnovo. Soon swordsmiths would also take their place nearby. But the tsar was already planning the creation of greater troops – the famous Bulgarian cavalry. But for that he would need to build not only stables, but also to find large studs with good horses. Unfortunately, during the political chaos and the foreign Byzantine rule, the Bulgars had lost most of the big studs with fine battle horses and such could now be found only in Dacia, where some of the old Bulgars still lived as before.
Pic-24.jpg

Of course, mischiefs never come alone – the province of Dacia was not anymore under Bulgarian control and was occupied by the usurping Wallachians. Fortunately, Wallachia was a very weak opponent and it was as big as us, but with less money and military power.
Pic-25.jpg

At that time Tsar Ioan Shishman decided which his first target should be. If he was to stand on the battlefield against the greater powers like Byzantium, he would need much more than mere infantry. He would need cavalry and in order to have one, Wallachia should fall down. And one step forward was made – the kingdom collected enough money to start building the awaited swordsmiths.
Pic-26.jpg

But the tsar was disappointed by the speed, with which money were filling the country’s coffers. Trade with Byzantium and Serbia wasn’t enough. And why should he fill also the pockets of the enemy? No, another, better, trade partner should be found. He spoke with many travellers from distant lands and he finally found what he needed – the realms of the Mameluks.
Pic-27.jpg

It is true that these were the same infidels, which had conquered and desecrated the Holy Lands with their foul religion. But for the time they were probably the most suitable trade partner, which Ioan Shishman could find. Exactly because of the Holy Lands, he could take use of the trade there – importing reliquaries with “parts of the Holy Cross” and selling them to “pilgrims” with higher price. Importing incense or just “guaranteeing” the security of the travellers. The possibilities for business were endless. And besides, he wouldn’t ask them for non-aggression pact…
Pic-28.jpg

That’s why the tsar sent an emissary to Sultan Ahmed with a trade proposal, as well as with some “examples” of the trade goods we could offer. This convinced the Mameluks that trade with Bulgaria might be profitable not only for us, but also for them.
Pic-29.jpg

Tsar Ioan Shishman was so excited from this another trading success that he decided to take care of the matters himself, with the help of his advisors, of course. This trade route was very important for the future of the state and he didn’t wish to trust it in the hands of someone else. He would be the one to deal with all the bigger problems, while the rest would be left to his protokeliots*.
Pic-30.jpg

Obviously, this trade agreement wasn’t very well welcomed by the Pope, because soon news came that a Crusade has been called against the Mameluks. The Vatican was probably worried by the eventual rise of power of Sultan Ahmed and the possibility for his intervention in the matters of Europe. Anyway, this was their problem, not ours…
Pic-31.jpg

Our problems were for now only with the money. The recent trade agreement was bringing very good profits, but as some people say: “The more – the better”. And as a result another agreement was signed, this time with King Bela of Hungary.
Pic-32.jpg

Soon Tsar Ioan Shishman asked his counsellors for the state of international relations and he received good news – Bulgaria was currently the most prosperous kingdom with the highest trade income. And the Principality of Bdin, where his brother ruled, was on fourth place. Good news, indeed!
Pic-33.jpg

In just a few weeks later, a legate from the Papacy came with a request for trade. The name of the Bulgarian merchants was becoming more and more famous! Of course, the tsar accepted the proposal. The Papacy didn’t really have such a good potential, but it is always good to have good relations with the Pope.
Pic-34.jpg

Time was passing by, money were filling the country’s coffers, the state was prospering and the swordsmiths were finally built. Somewhere in that time the tsar’s second son, Prince Mikhail, came to his father with a request. Their conversation has been preserved by the Royal recorders and here is what they said:
- Father, - the prince started, - I know that our kingdom needs money in order to survive next to its mighty neighbours. But the job as a merchant is not by my heart. I have come to ask you for one thing – to allow me to serve our kingdom with what I can do and like the best! I want to be a spy!
- Yes, I see! – replied his father after a long pause, - You’re not interested in numbers and trade goods, I should’ve thought of that. You’re still young and your blood is hot. You prefer the Courtly intrigues and action. But are you sure of what you ask of me? Won’t you change your mind after some years, when the heat of your youth won’t drive you to such risky operations?
- No, father, I’m sure. I have thought of this before and I know that I can’t work as a merchant anymore. Besides, the Royal family can not act as such for long either. In all the cases we would need to hire professionals, which would stay in our Court with their families and transfer their knowledge to their children, which again would replace their fathers in the course of time. And we would need not only merchants, but also marshals, clerics and spies.
- Hmm… Yes, the kingdom really needs spies to counteract the enemy intentions. The Byzantines are famous with their treachery and foul actions and we would need someone to keep us safe from them…
- And I believe I am that man. With your approval, I shall investigate everything suspicious in the Court and, with God’s will, I shall find any possible enemy spies!
- Alright then, I can’t keep you against your will! You have my permission. But we will need to find someone to replace you in the trading business. And maybe it really is a good time to start preparing for battle…
Thus, Prince Mikhail received his new job as a spy, while two bolyars** were “promoted” to the ranks of despots (which meant that they now had constant access to the Royal Court) and were appointed to serve as a merchant and a marshal. With the respective salaries, of course…
Pic-35.jpg

Pic-36.jpg

Time passed by again… It was the fourth year after Tsar Ioan Shishman took the throne of Tarnovo, when news came, which would’ve given Bulgaria a great advantage. In the beginning the news were simple and even worrying – French troops have crossed the borders. France was very far away and could not have any claims towards Tarnovo, but the scouts reported that their forces are far from weak. Despot Tervel was finally put to use and was immediately dispatched to reveal their real purpose and capabilities. When he arrived at their camp, he could not believe his eyes and luck – not only they were with peaceful intentions and even agreed to give their services in exchange of some coins, but they were also led by a French knight; probably some baron, fallen in disgrace. Their services were indeed quite expensive, but the power of the French knights was world-known. Despot Tervel hired two companies of man-at-arms with the money he had with him and headed back to the capital, where he had already trained three divisions of swordsmen. The king, happy for this unexpected and lucky event, allowed the French to settle on Bulgarian soil and promised them that he will hire some more of the men soon. In the meantime, the military advisor reported that Wallachia is currently the weakest country by military force and has almost no defences. Perfect!
Pic-37.jpg

Pic-38.jpg

But again, the money problem came up – the French mercenaries demanded a lot of gold in exchange of their services, so Tsar Ioan Shishman had to search for another new trade partner. This time he looked North-East, to the Great Duchy of Lithuania.
Pic-39.jpg

He sent an envoy to the Grand Duke Algirdas, hoping that the fame of Bulgaria has reached his ears. His response didn’t quite give an answer to that, because their traders were curious indeed to see what we could possibly have to offer. Was this just a bargain trick or not, it doesn’t really matter as the trade agreement was signed. The tsar was beginning to think that he could win the negotiations with any power on the European continent…
Pic-40.jpg

After the establishment of the new trade route, Despot Asparukh was ordered to deal with all the problems connected with it. He did not knew that he would need to take care not only of numbers, duties and taxes, but also of simple military matters, such as securing the route itself, which passed through many foreign territories. The caravans would first need to pass through the realms of Despot Delian, a Bulgarian noble, who established an independent state of his own. Relations with him were good and a trade agreement was already signed. But after that the convoys would need to sail either to the newly conquered province of Trebizond or to the lands of the Golden Horde. But Despot Asparukh managed it all surprisingly well. The king even began to wonder hadn’t he done a mistake by appointing him as a merchant, not as a marshall. Thus, two more years passed, during which Tsar Ioan Shishman undertook a series of actions, which were meant to strengthen the internal and the international power of Bulgaria. These actions were, of course, a success. As a result, the peasants were happier about the safe situation of the country and even more money were collected. With these money the French baron was soon hired, together with his personal guards. Tarnovo could now finally start turning its eyes North to Wallachia! Just some more time and money to hire some additional troops…
Pic-41.jpg

But rumours of a Hungarian army (with which the Wallachians were at war), marching to Bucharest, forced the tsar to act hastily and not to wait for these other troops. He hired one additional archer company in Moesia and sent Despot Tervel right away to Dacia…
Pic-42.jpg

Little is known of how the battle exactly went. The only thing we know is that there was only one peasant company to defend Wallachia, which, of course, had no chance against the combined forces of the Bulgarian army and the French mercenaries.
Pic-43.jpg

Dacia soon fell and the whole of Wallachia with it. The first battle was won! Furthermore, the troops of Despot Tervel (including the French) were now battle-tested and ready for new victories. Even the despot, himself, gained enough experience and learned how to lead his men better.
Pic-44.jpg

Pic-45.jpg

But the quick capturing of Dacia reminded the tsar of the importance of the walls. Wallachia was a weak and undefended state, guarded only by some peasants. It was clear that he should not follow their example, so he ordered that walls must be built in all the cities in the capital region, not just in Tarnovo. The new region of Wallachia was still in disorder, the Bulgarian authorities there weren’t yet fully established and therefore its walls would have to wait for better times.
Pic-46.jpg

Better times, which were soon to come…
Pic-0.jpg

*Protokeliot – Greek title for “adjutant”, also used in the Second Bulgarian Empire
** Bolyars – Bulgarian nobles, Bulgarian title of nobility​

Last edited:

elvain

34 Badges
Jan 20, 2004
www.rome.webz.cz
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
nice update, I'm looking forward to see the next part ;)