Magicka Random Challenge Generator, Release

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(276514)

Corporal
1 Badges
Feb 28, 2011
  • Magicka
The Magicka Random Challenge Generator is now released:)

This is a hack to randomize the waves in the two challenges that Magicka provieds. It makes a various amount of monsters, depending on your Difficulty percent and some random factors. This makes the game awesome in different kinds of ways. If you think that the normal challenges are easy, you can increase the difficulty level and get some hardcore action. If you on the other hand suck, you can set difficulty to as low as 20%. Which is booringly easy.

Have fun =)

A couple of tips on how to use it:
- It needs to know where Magicka.exe is, so it can find the XML documents with challenges in, help it if it cant find it on it's own.
- Choose the Challenge you want to make Custom, the amount of levels you want to play, and difficulty.
- Be aware that if you set the difficulty too high, there will spawn a lot of monsters! So many in fact that sometimes Magicka cant really handle them all, and will crash.
- Magnification is if you want to zoom in or out on the battlefield. This is static, and cant be changed while playing the game.
- When you have pressed Create, a new level has been created. To play this level however, you need to press "Apply Level". It then switches out the original XML file with the custom built one.
- If you want the normal challenges back, just press Restore All.

Lucemferre appearantly found a way to still play publicly online after the 1.5.5.6 patch! Hope this works for everybody!

This mod still works and other's can still join, but you have to jump through hoops.

1) Restore original files (with magicka closed)
2) load Magicka
3) start Arena/glade match (people can now join)
4) use the generator and apply changes

The game is sort of fragile and this app may cause it to crash from time to time. I will be making tweaks to make it better and more stable over time. It might be a good idea to check back here and see if the tool is updated.

And just so you all know, i do not take responsibility of how you use this application. It is meant to increase you gaming experience and overall fun with the game. If you don't get it to work, or it of some bizarre reason eats you alive, breaks your knees, or just ruins your computer, that's your problem and not mine.

Last but not least, have fun, and spread the word about this awesome game =)

/* Current Versions */

v0.71

Tweaks:
- Increased possible percent in difficulty percent from 200 to 400.
- Added option "No Magicks"

Bugs:
- Fixed so that the Magicka Settings is not done if wooden chests is disabled
- Turning off Magicks in Glade did not work, fixed

View attachment MRCG v0.71.rar

v0.72

- Icon's added
- Made it impossible to maximize, or change size so that it is better looking.
- Fixed so that when not customizing the magick box, the final scoreboard status appears. Not possible to make this appear when using custom Magicks settings.

View attachment MRCG v0.72.rar

Last edited:
Suggestion! You could add an option to increase or decrease the number of treasure boxes that appear, I don't know if it is feasible, but it can be interesting!

If i could, i would =) it's not decided in the xml files that my program is editing. It's the game that decides this for itself. So no luck chuck =) But yes, it's a great idea c".)

Great! You might want to change the donation currency from NOK to USD/EUR, as it'd make it easier to calculate how much am I actually donating. ;)

Keep up the good work!

I will do that. Sorry for the inconvenience =) be in the next update =)

The only problem with this is that adding more monsters increases the chance of triggering the 1 fps bug that makes it completely unplayable and the screen gets filled with purple circles, especially on The Glade. I find this extremely annoying. It is not your fault though, it is the game.

this rocks

I've got a 7 level arena that is improbable (170 difficulty). (haven't beat it yet) So Awesome.

For users, turn down off the gore and set shadows/decal limit to low. Maybe even turn resolution down. Also avoid spamming spells, the textures pile up quickly and can turn the game into a slide show when there are a million critters running around. It also seems to trigger the falling through the floor madner.

So some suggestions and observations. Did you remove yeti from the generator? they never seem to come out. Also, when there are multiple Khan, they get stuck in a rock flying spam mess that does a number on the frame rate.

I don't know if it would be possible to have a check list for what kind of critters to include in the random generator, but that would certainly be awesome. (Beholders are freaking hard when they come out as a crowd)

Did you remove yeti from the generator? they never seem to come out.

They seem to be removed. You can add them manually yourself by editing the xml file. It is actually very easy to do.

Edit: I have a suggestion aswell. It would be nice if one could choose which and when magicks spawn. I am pretty sure, for example, that some people would like to disable the vortex spell. That is if they plan to play their custom challenge online in public. Basically, more options would be awesome.

Last edited:
The only problem with this is that adding more monsters increases the chance of triggering the 1 fps bug that makes it completely unplayable and the screen gets filled with purple circles, especially on The Glade. I find this extremely annoying. It is not your fault though, it is the game.

Yes, you are correct, and this sucks but i guess that's just how life is... :) be careful with the percentage c".)

I've got a 7 level arena that is improbable (170 difficulty). (haven't beat it yet) So Awesome.

For users, turn down off the gore and set shadows/decal limit to low. Maybe even turn resolution down. Also avoid spamming spells, the textures pile up quickly and can turn the game into a slide show when there are a million critters running around. It also seems to trigger the falling through the floor madner.

So some suggestions and observations. Did you remove yeti from the generator? they never seem to come out. Also, when there are multiple Khan, they get stuck in a rock flying spam mess that does a number on the frame rate.

I don't know if it would be possible to have a check list for what kind of critters to include in the random generator, but that would certainly be awesome. (Beholders are freaking hard when they come out as a crowd)

That's awesome :D I simply love when the whole screen is full of monsters and you almost sit there screaming to make it through.... :)

Good tip!

Yes there would. but then it would not be much of a random generator. I am however thinking of balancing these things out. So any suggestions would be nice. Such as only one Kahn warrior at a time, and not too many beholders...

They seem to be removed. You can add them manually yourself by editing the xml file. It is actually very easy to do.

Edit: I have a suggestion aswell. It would be nice if one could choose which and when magicks spawn. I am pretty sure, for example, that some people would like to disable the vortex spell. That is if they plan to play their custom challenge online in public. Basically, more options would be awesome.

They are in fact not removed at all. They are just moved to the top of the list (As where the most difficult monsters are. To get to fight these you need the odds of randomness on your side and and one of the last levels, and they will come running out too you. I can adjust this too, so that there are a higher chance for them to appear.... but as i said, they are the last monsters to come out and attack....

And yes, this is a very nice idea, and i would love to do this. The only problem for now is that i dont know how to do this in the xml file. I will do a little bit of research on this...

Last but not least, tell everybody about this. This is not only for you, but for everybody. I love magicka, let everybody else love it too!!

Actually, now that i am looking through the code it seems that you guys are correct, about the Yeti... It was impossible to reach the last monster in the list... :) Is fixed now and will be released as soon as possible, with a couple of tweaks while i play around here =)

I know how to give oneself magicks at a chosen time and how to remove the chests altogether, if you need this info. I am not sure if it is possible to change the way the chests spawn though.

Another thing I would like to know is how to give oneself weapons. Would be pretty funny giving everyone lightsabers at the start. It actually does a lot of damage to frozen targets aswell.

I know how to give oneself magicks at a chosen time and how to remove the chests altogether, if you need this info. I am not sure if it is possible to change the way the chests spawn though.

Another thing I would like to know is how to give oneself weapons. Would be pretty funny giving everyone lightsabers at the start. It actually does a lot of damage to frozen targets aswell.

I would like this, yes. I have looked around and found some ways to add the spells both at startup time and while in game, but i have not tested all of these yet. Started on the programming of the tool again and in next release the Magicks option is going to be included.

Edit: after some searching and looking i found what should do the trick.. currently implementing it into my little app.

Edit v2: New release is upon us =)

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention is that your program does not generate random challenges when using the same parameters. One way to work around this is, ofcourse, to change the parameters, but there is a problem with this; if I choose a 169 difficulty level I get half the amount of enemies compared to 170, and they all spawn at the same area aswell. A difficulty level of 200 always makes it crash on loading or right after due to entity limits being hit (a maximum of 128 enemies are possible from what I have been testing, might depend on the type of npc however). Just a few minor flaws. This program adds a lot of extra gameplay hours nonetheless.

One thing I forgot to mention is that your program does not generate random challenges when using the same parameters. One way to work around this is, ofcourse, to change the parameters, but there is a problem with this; if I choose a 169 difficulty level I get half the amount of enemies compared to 170, and they all spawn at the same area aswell. A difficulty level of 200 always makes it crash on loading or right after due to entity limits being hit (a maximum of 128 enemies are possible from what I have been testing, might depend on the type of npc however). Just a few minor flaws. This program adds a lot of extra gameplay hours nonetheless.

Actually the program has a lot of random parameters. Per spawn, per waveAction, per wave, delay in time between waveActions, per spawn area and a lot more. It makes a different one each time you click create level(This is of course within the parameters), which means that there are changes however small.

It is not half the amount from 169 -> 170. This would not be possible from the code i have written. It is possible however that the numbers increase in "jumps". This is because i cannot put out 1.342 monsters on the battlefield. This is solved by converting all the random numbers i get into ints, which in tur is only whole numbers.

The higher difficulty percent is, the harder it gets. This does not work like a linear graph, but more like a graph of somethings^something. So, the higher on the difficulty you get, the more jumps you will get.

I have played at 200% difficulty (with my latest releases). I could not make it further than to level 10 or something, so i dont know how it works in the upper levels. I have however programmed it so that the lower level monsters have a higher amount of monsters spawned. This sould mean that the higher in level you get, the fewer monsters there will spawn. This works because the monsters difficulty increases.