Made a guide sheet to help myself Role-Play better at CK3

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PaniCaL

Second Lieutenant
31 Badges
Jun 8, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
So I'm very excited that CK3 is coming out in less than two weeks.

I made myself a sheet with some guiding questions to help myself Role-Play my characters better. I'm supposed to read and answer these questions every time I'm getting to play a new character (The previous character died):

Inked2_LI.jpg

To download as a pdf:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-e9MmY0Gx_-hmmlqfZRx0gGobrQEY8OA/view?usp=sharing

Combing the answers to these questions with the traits, health, general circumstances would give me a great overall understanding of my new character and where to invest my Skill Points.

That's it. I want to print it and go over it every time I get to play a new character to make gameplay more immersive.

I think Step A, solid opener. The number of times I switch a game on when I'm actually not in the mood and it makes my mental health worse...

At the end of the day, these are philosophical-existential questions that I think every human needs to ask themselves, and by understanding it, you'd know better what guides you.
I really don't want it to be more than 5-7 guiding questions to avoid making it be like a chore.

Do you have anything to add to improve the list? Would like to hear your opinion.

• 20Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
If there are trait locked decisions for events, take them most of the time - even if they are harmful like in CK2 doing the brave medical treatment

• 7Like
Reactions:
I love it!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Thanks! I also always struggle with roleplaying in CK.

Maybe add a question about how hands-off the character is? If the character isnt really involved with the throne most decisions concerning the realm will likely be made by councillors or advisors instead of the ruler.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm hopeful that the stress system is helpful in this regard.

If my character would gain stress from something being against his nature, I would only choose it if was of grave importance to the welfare of my dynasty/realm.

If something would reduce stress for being aligned with his nature, I would choose it unless he had no stress to begin with and it was needlessly risky to his health and well-being.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
wow i can swear i saw this in reddit and could not find it anymore. was looking for it for some time.
There were more point though. Like different traits with different actions.

I wounder with the stress feature if you will ever get a mental break...

• 1Like
Reactions:
wow i can swear i saw this in reddit and could not find it anymore. was looking for it for some time.
There were more point though. Like different traits with different actions.

I wounder with the stress feature if you will ever get a mental break...

Yep, I was the one who wrote it back then :)
It's still on Reddit -

I made it better since then. (I hope)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Pretty cool list!

an idea I had for roleplay, is to have two games running at the same time. If your character dies, you have to stop that one and jump to the other. Forcing you to step aside and not just “continue” playing, as it’s hard to change your mentality when you suddenly start playing with another totally different character.

So, when you load a save and it will be a new character when you do, you pause the game, and“study” that character. Traits, family history, historical situation, who does he like and dislike. Once you did that, you set a goal that THAT character would like to achieve.

Maybe your father was a zealot obsessed with the reconquista. Maybe you are a theologian and prefer to make peace and focus on a pious life, maybe advancing your culture and exiting the dark ages, or even add a tenet to your religion.

When the next character comes, maybe he’s a greedy bastard. And, united with a Muslim ruler, he sets to conquer your cousin’s kingdom next door, only then to then, conquer your Muslim allies, not because you’re a zealot but because you’re greedy.
Next character might be arbitrary tyranical person, so your goal would be to antagonize your enemies, have total power on your domain, never really interested in expanding it.

my point is: play every character with his own vision and not play the Kingdom/Empire with a goal for it 400 years from now.Every King had their own agenda, sometimes it would destroy the last King’s work or just completely turn the goal to a new direction. Studying history you’ll find out that this is how it was! And it is how intend to start my first couple of games.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
an idea I had for roleplay, is to have two games running at the same time. If your character dies, you have to stop that one and jump to the other. Forcing you to step aside and not just “continue” playing, as it’s hard to change your mentality when you suddenly start playing with another totally different character.

You know, I'm pretty good at giving the game a long good pause at succesion, and really try to figure out what my new character is all about... But this is soooo much better. Definatly doing that for CK3 and if I happen to make some time for CK2 before launch as well. It's an awesome idea!

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You know, I'm pretty good at giving the game a long good pause at succesion, and really try to figure out what my new character is all about... But this is soooo much better. Definatly doing that for CK3 and if I happen to make some time for CK2 before launch as well. It's an awesome idea!

A pause on succession is definitely needed. To shift gears mentally, come in the world again fresh. Problem is, once CK3 comes out... it will be really hard to just drop it and go do something else when a character dies :D hence the two saves!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very nice. The Stress system should help as well, as it will add personality context to the actions informed by the list.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If there are trait locked decisions for events, take them most of the time - even if they are harmful like in CK2 doing the brave medical treatment
In CK2 yes, but in CK3 you get stress when picking the inappropriate decisions. So even the wrong decisions according to your traits are ok for roleplaying.
If you only pick the right decisions all the time, your character isn't going to get stress and all the interesting events that come with it, and seem really nice for character building.

• 3Like
Reactions:
In CK2 yes, but in CK3 you get stress when picking the inappropriate decisions. So even the wrong decisions according to your traits are ok for roleplaying.
If you only pick the right decisions all the time, your character isn't going to get stress and all the interesting events that come with it, and seem really nice for character building.

I'd say for CK3 choose stressful traits if it makes sense for your character to do so. Craven characters, slothful characters, and others with little self control should just avoid the pain/stress of doing stuff outside their norm. Diligent, ambitious, brave and greedy characters should be willing to make more sacrifices to get what they want

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd say for CK3 choose stressful traits if it makes sense for your character to do so. Craven characters, slothful characters, and others with little self control should just avoid the pain/stress of doing stuff outside their norm. Diligent, ambitious, brave and greedy characters should be willing to make more sacrifices to get what they want

It seems like a shame to just avoid interacting with the stress system when characters have those traits, though. The system itself offers so much potential for roleplaying.

The coward who lived in fear but finally rose to the challenge on the day his kingdom needed him most is a fascinating character. The craven character who never deviated from his programming is an NPC.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Great post and good job. Thats pretty cool. For me CK was always more about Role-Playing than conquering everything and I really enjoy it. I was really happy when they told us that they would go more into that direction.

Also I would sometimes go against the personality too, but really depending on the situation of the person and ruler. Like a compassionate ruler going against his virtue and executing the person who killed his mother to show an example and prove that people shouldn't mess with his dynasty. Or a spiteful zealous ruler supporting his rival in a holy war as he still despise him, but victory of the faith is more important. Such things give a bit of flavour as well. Yes they would cause stress or other issues from time to time, but still are perfect for roleplaying.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm hopeful that the stress system is helpful in this regard.

If my character would gain stress from something being against his nature, I would only choose it if was of grave importance to the welfare of my dynasty/realm.

If something would reduce stress for being aligned with his nature, I would choose it unless he had no stress to begin with and it was needlessly risky to his health and well-being.

Yes, this is exactly how I'm going to play! And thank you op for post!

• 1Like
Reactions: