[MacOS] graphics performance issues, 3.1.x and 3.2.x

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kumiankka

Recruit
47 Badges
May 1, 2021
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Since updating to 3.1.x and 3.2.x, I have noticed some serious stuttering / framerate hits in the Mac version related to some of the graphics effects. Admittedly my old iMac isn't exactly top of the line anymore, but it never struggled with the graphics with previous Stellaris versions (3.0.3 and prior), even on the highest rendering options. I have performed a clean reinstall of Stellaris just to be sure, and believe that this must be related to the graphics rendering since it happens even when the game is paused and varies depending on the graphical details visible. The main galaxy map is the worst affected, although the effects around the central star in the solar system view also seem to cause a more noticeable slowdown now. Some other details:

- other Paradox titles such as CKIII work fine with no equivalent slowdowns
- the update that caused this must have been released between June 30th and September 18th 2021, prior to this framerates were completely normal for me, so this too points to 3.1.0 being the culprit. September 18th was when I first noticed the issue, and it's still there in the latest v3.2.2.
- stuttering occurs just zooming around the views, especially the galaxy view, even when the game is paused
- there's less stuttering in the galaxy view if you get a start very near the galaxy edge, more if you start anywhere bordering more systems. Maybe something related to rendering the borders of unexplored areas.
- as mentioned before, zooming into the central star in the system view also causes a slowdown. Before 3.1 this was only noticeable with pulsars/neutron stars which wasn't so bad.
- I have attached log files and settings from the clean unmodded reinstall, as well as a screenshot of my system specs
- the game is currently playable if (and only if) I turn all the graphics details down to the lowest settings, but this wasn't necessary prior to 3.1.0

Hope this helps track down the issue.

Attachments

• logs_settings.zip
    215,2 KB · Views: 0
I see you are in borderless mode at 2560 1440. Is that your Mac's desktop settings? If you put it in fullScreen is it any better?

That aside I see no real reason for this here. Does the galaxy size make any difference?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Running it in fullscreen or borderless mode makes no difference unfortunately. And I can confirm that the desktop resolution of 2560x1440 is what I was able to run before the 3.1 update. With 3.1 or 3.2, lowering the resolution to 1920x1080 restores the framerate to acceptable levels, but at the cost of less room for the already crowded outliner view. Still, this is probably what I'll be going with for now, so I can try out the new Aquatics pack while this is being looked into.

Doubt galaxy size makes any difference, since I mainly play on small galaxies to avoid the heavy micromanagement that comes with the mid- to late game. As I mentioned, I suspect rendering issues with the unexplored area borders might play a part, since there was a very noticeable difference where the lag didn't occur at all in the galaxy view on the one occasion when I got a galactic rim start with very few neighboring systems.

The only other thing I can think of in the tech support line to try here is a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere, and user_empire_designs.txt from /Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/ if you have made any custom empires or races.
- "uninstall" in Steam-Stellaris
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Stellaris AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular you need to make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam Stellaris or Documents Stellaris locations, before installing again.

**File Locations on Mac OS X**
The executable and DLC folder are in Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Stellaris/
To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and type in ~/Library/ .
The user files (settings.txt, error logs, saved games, gfx, mods) are in /Users/USER/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/ .

If that doesn't help enough, I guess the Bug Reports forum would be your next stop - although you'd think I'd have more reports from other Mac users by now if this were a general problem!

Thanks. I have in fact already performed the full clean reinstall before writing the first post, since I saw it was a recommended procedure for many other issues. I'll take a look at the Bug Reports forum like you suggested and report the issue there.