• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Valmarki

Sergeant
18 Badges
Apr 20, 2021
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
Was watching Stellaris Robot traits tier list by Montu plays, during which I began fantasizing.

Lost knowledge / The great downfall / The new rising
This empire was once the technological centre of the entire galaxy, even prior to their technological ascension. The knowledge of what caused their downfall hundreds of years ago has been lost to all, themselves included.
Maybe it was a virus, or maybe a programming fault of some sort. Regardless, this empire of machines that once spanned a significant portion of the known galaxy are now little more than the faintest echo of their former self. Without the knowledge to replenish or maintain their numbers, their empire slowly wasted away. Now that the secrets to space travel and the hyperlanes have been rediscovered and as immortal machines, there may be more of their kind out there, stuck on space stations, colonies and facilities, many will undoubtedly be unrecoverable, but some, if only a few, will only require a fresh power charge and be good to go. And maybe, just maybe, there will be a facility somewhere with operational manufacturing capabilities.

You start with basic robot tech.
Your primary species are machine ascended pops.
You cannot create more of your primary species before researching the synthetic personalities tech.
Instead of constructing more of your primary species, you find a few at a time on your old colonies, mining/research stations, derelict ships, old starbases, archaeological sites, anomalies, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
First of all, I love the idea of managing a limited number of your own pops. It sounds much like the current clone origin, but without the weirdness of how the vat limit worlds empire-wide.

The only concern I would have is how colonization operates, since it spawns new pops and you shouldn't be making more; perhaps this would have to be associated with a minor change in how colonization works in general.

As an aside, a couple years ago someone mentioned wanting a way to play as effectively Autobots/Decepticons of the Transformers franchise, and the best thing I could offer was to run Machine Intelligence and just roleplay that only the leaders were the "real" bots and the rest were basically drones. This would be the perfect answer to their desire, particularly the idea of a quest chain to regain the ability to make more.

• 1Like
Reactions: