• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OK I am leaning towards granting pacifism to all Buddhist creeds except the Messianic soul ones:
- Mahayana
- Buddhaksetran
- Vajrayana
I include messianic because messianism is a form of radicality that is too intertwined with violence to be truly pacifist, and because of Sejuks. Note that there is no martial soul buddhist religion.

This means giving pacifism to those:
- Bahusrutiya
- Pratyekan
- Sthaviravada
- Chán
- Buddha-Mazdan
- Linji
- Mahadipika
- Datsanist

OK I am leaning towards granting pacifism to all Buddhist creeds except the Messianic soul ones:
- Mahayana
- Buddhaksetran
- Vajrayana
I include messianic because messianism is a form of radicality that is too intertwined with violence to be truly pacifist, and because of Sejuks. Note that there is no martial soul buddhist religion.

This means giving pacifism to those:
- Bahusrutiya
- Pratyekan
- Sthaviravada
- Chán
- Buddha-Mazdan
- Linji
- Mahadipika
- Datsanist
Looks good to me. :)
Although, it feels weird that Jaina won't getting the pacifist features. Also, if Messianic is too intertwined with violence, wouldn't that mean the dev team would need to remove the peace_piety_gain feature from Jaina? I just realized they're the only religion with that feature currently in the game.

I guess we'll make an exception for Jaina and let them have the pacifist features.
These religions will have both the pacifist = yes and the piety gain at peace.

Note that piety is a currency more or less important depending on your soul. Clerical religions can leverage on high piety to get further support from the clergy, including in wars...

Alright I will add those to the religions specified above. We might of discussed this before, and I totally just forgot to edit the file. Won't forget this time ;)

Hello guys

We have a long-lasting discussion about what to do with the pacifist features brought in by Raja of India.

In LI some of the Indian or Buddhist civilization religions are not really pacifist. Some even have a martial soul. Heck, the Sejuks are Buddhist... so applying pacifist features would not make a lot of sense.

I was considering applying the features to any religion from the buddhist civilization with a statist or clerical soul. Let me know if you have views on this...?
I feel like LI Buddhism is extremely non pacifist in most forms. Plus it's not like real life Buddhists are really pacifists.

We still have the Mahayana, Buddhaksetran and Vajrayana sects to represent the non-"pacifist" trends in Buddhism.

On the other hand, one thing we're trying to achieve is to make gameplay feel substancially different depending on your realm & religion. By making use of this feature, we ensure that playing these religions will indeed have a little more difference.

Also, the "pacifism" can be exploited to prepare war. As I said, piety gain at peace synergies well with clerical soul-specific "control of the clergy" law. By gaining more piety, buddhist clerical religions will find themselves with a more competitive position for war when the time comes...

@Numahr
Could you consider making reformed Atenist religion statist as opposed to its non-reformed form which would still be militarist, I think that it makes quite a lot of sense since from what I understand they are militarist due to their underdogness but the whole religion was found probably as a tool for the ruller and to took the power away from clergy. And the other thing (about which I am not sure myself) is that maybe it should be located in the solar religion group.

Oh and from what I remember they don't have ''secular" religious head which imho would be interesting (and also quite justified) :)

Last edited:
Probably worth pointing out that for some reason the ruler of Nabatea has somehow a Sol_Islam follower at the start of the game and the ones who should be Sol_Islam are Elohimist... eg the heirs of Muawhiya

Hey y'all. This is kinda a non-sequitur but I did some descs for religions lacking them in my free time and Numahr asked they be posted here so you guys could look em over and make any changes ya needed. Here they are:

murugan_DESC;The cult of Kartikeya is a Local Indian religion of Martial soul. Kartikeya, also known as Murugan, is the Hindu god of war and victory, and the son of Shiva the Destroyer. Kartikeya's cult venerates him as Commander of the Gods, existing alongside but superior to the other gods of the Hindu pantheon. The faith is very militaristic, and promotes the formation and training of local militias for towns to ready themselves for any and all combat.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

murugan_reformed_DESC;The Arumugani Faith is a Mainstream Indian religion of Martial Soul. This newly-reformed faith places even more emphasis on Kartikeya's role as Commander, elevating him to the position of supreme god. The other Hindu gods are now thought of more as saints than true gods, and all follow the orders of Kartikeya.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

saura_DESC;The cult of Surya is an Heretical Indian faith of Traditional soul. Surya is the god of the sun in Hinduism, and seen as one of the aspects of Brahman. Surya's cult venerates him as the sun and Light personified, and challenges the idea that any other god can contest his claim to supremacy. It has long been practiced by the Indo-Aryans of southern India.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

saura_reformed_DESC;The cult of Surya Brahman is a Mainstream Indian faith of Statist Soul. The cult of Surya is now codified by a central text, strengthened with a hierarchical temple and the backing of the state. More importantly, it has become more prone to interactions with outsiders, and as such desires to spread the faith even further. Surya was worshipped in the Smartist Hindu tradition as an aspect of Brahman, but is now considered the only aspect of Brahman, and is therefore analogous with the Ultimate Reality of the universe. Surya Brahman, though his domain is lofty, is not uncaring - in fact, the High Priest of the faith sanctifies worthy kings as being Surya Brahman made flesh.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

anansi_DESC;The worship of Anansi is a Local West African Shamanic religion of Martial soul. Anansi is the spider god of stories in Akan mythology, and his cult is focused on worshipping him above other gods. The task of organizing worship and sacrifices to Anansi falls to the shamans, who communicate with the god to secure blessings and for the strength to defend their communities.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

bantu_pagan_reformed_DESC;The worship of Mungu is a Reformed Mainstream Bantu Shamanic religion of Statist soul. Simply meaning "God", the reformation of Bantu faith has seen many gods and spirits demoted to angelic or saintly beings, or done away with entirely, replaced by one high god named Mungu. The shamans, previously restricted to serving their tribe or village, are now ordered into a temple headed by a Priest-King. The Priest-King is seen as Mungu's representative and earthly form, and has total control of the faith and its doctrine.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

batembuzi_DESC;The worship of the Batembuzi kings is an Heretical Shamanic cult of Statist soul. Popular in the African Great Lakes region, this faith tells tales of a dynasty long past who sought to establish an Empire of Light. These kings and their descendants, the Batembuzi dynasty, are worshipped as gods in the hope that the people's belief can give them the strength needed to bring the faith to all ends of the world.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

bud_bahusrutiya_DESC;The Bahushrutiya ( "Well Learned" ) are an Heretical branch of Buddhism with a Scholarly soul, under strong Indian influences. This school of Buddhism appeared relatively early, and distinguished itself by separating the teachings of Gautama Buddha into those which are mundane and those which are supernatural. Among the Bahushrutiya, following the supernatural teachings of Gautama Buddha is the only way to free oneself from suffering. The faith is therefore intensely scholarly, with ardent practitioners always striving to live life as Gautama Buddha.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

bud_mahayana_DESC;The Mahayana ( "Great Vehicle" ) are an Heretical branch of Buddhism with a Messianic soul. Mahayana differs from mainstream branches of Buddhism in that it teaches that enlightenment can be reached in a single lifetime and by anyone, rather than only by ascetics. It also espouses the idea of becoming a Bodhisattva and selflessly delaying Nirvana in order to help others achieve enlightenment. Some sects also fervently espouse the coming of Maitreya, a bodhisattva who will attain complete enlightenment in the future and educate all on the pure, true law of Buddhism.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

bud_pratyeka_DESC;The worship of the Pratyekabuddhas ( "Lone Buddhas" ) is a Local Buddhist sect of Statist soul. In mainstream Buddhism, pratekyabuddhas are those who achieve enlightenment all on their own, without any guides or use of scripture. In the Pratekyan sect this still rings true, but in the shadow of Alexander the idea has come to be used as a means for some Buddhist kings to legitimize their rule and dominion over large parts of India.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

bud_sthaviravada_DESC;The Sthaviravada ( "Sect of the Elders") are the Mainstream Buddhist branch, of a Clerical soul. This branch of Buddhism purports itself to be the oldest, and that its doctrine most closely matches that of Gautama Buddha. It is mainly focused around the organization of its priests and the rules they must follow in order to remain pure and achieve nirvana.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

bud_vajrayana_DESC;The Vajrayana ( "Adamantine Vehicle" ) are a Local Buddhist sect of Messianic soul, characterized by strong Gnostic influences. Vajrayana is a very esoteric branch of Buddhism, with a focus on tantric rituals and traditions as the most reliable and fastest method to enlightenment. There is evidence that this sect of Buddhism was influenced by Manichaeism, due to the faiths' common features of light and ritualistic knowledge.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

bud_zen_DESC;The Way of Chan ( "Mediation") is a Local branch of Buddhism of Statist soul, under strong Chinese influences. This branch of Buddhism is characterized by a focus on meditation and introspection as the path to nirvana. Also included are the use of koan, stories and questions from Buddhist scripture that are used to test a student's progress.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

bud_zen_reformed_DESC;The Linji Sect is a Reformed Mainstream Buddhist religion of Clerical Soul with Chinese influences. Named after the Chinese monk Linji Yixuan, this reformed branch of Buddhism is even more focused on the role of the bhikkhu within the practice. Also new to the faith is the role of High Priest, a bhikkhu who has final authority on matters of scriptural analysis and religious ritual.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

I like @Oofit's proposed descriptions for Buddhist religions. They blend well real life characteristics of these religions with LI-specific mechanics. It is going to the Mod. Thanks Oofit!
Still, if anyone wants to elaborate on this work before we add it, or ask specific questions, now is the time...

@Furion Matsuya
You're right, I've been aware of this inconsistency for a long time and I was keeping it under the carpet... Yet your gaze goes beyond the thickest Bedouin rug and we need to do something about it.
Looking at the lore implied by the family, etc. there should be a religion switch between Amman and Nabatea, while characters would otherwise remain where they are. i.e. Abadat VIII being Elohimi as well as his realm's province (with the odd Agliboli Alexandros moved from Amman to Areopolis to represent the same internal opposition) while Malik III, heir of Muawhiya would become properly sol_islam, ruling from Amman.

@Mitusonator
Yes, reformed Atenist should better be Statist, as you point out. We should implement this.

I like @Oofit's proposed descriptions for Buddhist religions. They blend well real life characteristics of these religions with LI-specific mechanics. It is going to the Mod. Thanks Oofit!
Still, if anyone wants to elaborate on this work before we add it, or ask specific questions, now is the time...

@Furion Matsuya
You're right, I've been aware of this inconsistency for a long time and I was keeping it under the carpet... Yet your gaze goes beyond the thickest Bedouin rug and we need to do something about it.
Looking at the lore implied by the family, etc. there should be a religion switch between Amman and Nabatea, while characters would otherwise remain where they are. i.e. Abadat VIII being Elohimi as well as his realm's province (with the odd Agliboli Alexandros moved from Amman to Areopolis to represent the same internal opposition) while Malik III, heir of Muawhiya would become properly sol_islam, ruling from Amman.

@Mitusonator
Yes, reformed Atenist should better be Statist, as you point out. We should implement this.
Thanks for response :)
What do you think about making a reforming ruller head of religion like Akhenaten? The other thing that I noticed is that Egyptian religions in Lux Invicta don't practice "sacred marriage" (brother-sister), like Zoroastrians do, is it an oversight or intentional?

How could Atenism be a thing 2500 years aftwr the Egyptians deliberately destroyed all references to it?

The POD was about late 4th century BCE in LU.

From what I can gather it's not exactly identical to the original cult, besides the Aten was still a deity in Egypt after the Amarna Period so perhaps whatever ruler or group revived the cult simply used it again.

The lore for it does say it was kept alive by rebellious groups on the fringes of the Egypto-Nubian civilizations.

The laws of spirituality work differently in the LI metaverse. You have to accept that once a religion is born, it tends to linger somewhere and somehow, if even in a peripherical forgotten place, if even in a new form, generally getting closer to monotheism and solar cult. We just have to accept this different reality, which is the basic tenant of how religions have evolved.

The laws of spirituality work differently in the LI metaverse. You have to accept that once a religion is born, it tends to linger somewhere and somehow, if even in a peripherical forgotten place, if even in a new form, generally getting closer to monotheism and solar cult. We just have to accept this different reality, which is the basic tenant of how religions have evolved.

Indeed, case in point with the Luwians/Hittites

@Numahr
I have changed the aten_reformed to statist religion on my local copy and if it weren't a problem to give me a github access I would be glad to contribute to the glory of the Light! :)
(My github name is the same as here - "Mitusonator")

@Numahr if you would like me to add Mitsu, let me know.

Last edited: