• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

riknap

Inactive Custodian of the Light
70 Badges
Feb 27, 2011
steamcommunity.com
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2

x10ho.jpg

Lux Invicta Clairvoyance Corner
[frequently asked questions]

IMPORTANT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS!!!
Due to the sheer memory mass of Lux Invicta, enough virtual memory must be freed up for the CK2 game engine for it to run stably. To do so, the steps below must be done at least once, especially if you have a 32-bit OS (though occassionally, you might need to do this even with a 64 bit OS for some reason). You need at least 4GB to play Lux Invicta decently.

original source: MadBoris (Total War Center / ETW Technical Help)

Vista/7/8
1) Run command prompt (just type cmd in the start menu) as administrator
2) In the command prompt type this exactly: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072*
3) Verify by typing bcdedit, and find the entry above listed.
4) Reboot

XP
1) Find boot.ini (usually on C:, might be hidden), mark it not read-only, and open
2) Under the section called [operating systems] find the line that says "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional...". Duplicate that entire line.
3) Add a space at the end of the duplicate line and /3GB /USERVA=3072*
4) Rename the OS name of that entry to identify it at startup
5) Save boot.ini, then r-click and make it read only.
6) Reboot

*any value above 2048 really (at least 2560), but restrict it to 3072 ata most if you only have 4GB in your system

I'm getting Runtime Errors and/or random CTD's!!!
either:
a) make sure you have ALL face-pack DLC's if you're also using the DLC-requisite optional LI-BLC addon
b) make sure you followed the IMPORTANT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS above

I'm getting Black/Empty Portraits/Flags!!!
> first, make sure you did the Virtual Memory workaround above, as LI consumes a lot more memory by default
> for portraits: you are likely using the DLC-requisite LI-BLC addon, so make sure you have ALL face-pack DLC's if you want to use it.
> for flags: standard procedure (for any mod) is to delete the flag cache. Do so by deleteing the Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/Lux Invicta/gfx/flags folder.

Can I access your Secret Version Nouveau (SVN) build?
... uh, sure. Our resident backdoor-entrance guide Benblu will show you how.
Of course, it goes without saying any that your are morally obligated to report whatever bugs you notice in our internal build, for the benefit of all of course. That, and your saves can occassionally get bonked as we tweak files here and there.

edit: make sure to use https://github.com/DarkReborn/lux-invicta-repository now instead

What are the changes in the new versions since Shaytana left?
To be honest, a whole lot. Well, more correctly, the base principles and lore of the mod has been kept intact, but a whole lot of mechanics have evolved in synchronity with the new main DLC's of Crusader Kings.
You can get an overview of the most significant changes by reading the LIBERT3 portal and checking the writeup there and the changelogs linked, as well as checking out both the Calibration Coordinates post for a comprehensive specifics guide as well as the [Contemporary Chronology] for the list of changelogs of the current version.

What is SELIN? LIBERT3? CHRONOS?
Spirituality Enhanced for Lux Invicta by Numahr (SELIN), is the religion overhaul module by Numahr, and is automatically integrated into the mod even before Shaytana left.
Lux Invicta Buildings & Events, Retinues & Tactics, Traits & Technology (LIBERT3), is the general balance module by riknap, and as of v6h is automatically integrated into the mod.
Project CHRONOS: The Time-Traveller's Overhaul for Lux Invicta (CHRONOS), is a rework of the existing landed titles by futuregary. It currently is for the directly-integrated in the mod for the purpose of fixing the setup of landed titles within a tolerable limit and within range of canon.

Is there a list of information regarding Authority requirements, CB requirements, and the like?
Yes, the Calibration Coordinates post, found in the same page (701) as this one.

How do I get rid of the cloud and calligraphy effects?
Those are the integrated Clouds of War and Decorus Visum mods.
You can revert the fog of war to vanilla by deleting the map/terrain/Fogowar.dds file, and revert the map font to vanilla by deleting the gfx/font folder entirely.

How do I use hotkeys in this mod?
The mod uses Arumba's Keyboard Shortcuts + Interface Adjust mod and keeps it updated regularly, so the shortcuts in that page are exactly the shortcuts in-game (except the ` key, which we transferred to the \ key as it was a hassle in using console for debugging).
In any case, there's a decision in-game that allows you to (re)view the hotkeys anytime (and the intro events also include an option to review them anyway).

I noticed some rulers have a "Blood of X" trait. Is that WAD?
Sort of. Those are bloodline traits that designate special historical dynasties who have a prestigious primogenitor who has helped shaped the LI universe to what it is now. Note however that the list of special dynasties is not fully covered yet. You can find a full list of the canon-special dynasties in the Calibration Coordinates post.

So, about Mongols and Aztecs...
Aztecs arrive around 150 years later than usual and with slightly smaller numbers than vanilla, to accomodate the fact that general troop sizes are smaller in vanilla.
As for "Mongols", they're Sino-Hellenic in this mod as per the timeline canon. How they'll be implemented however... is a qustion for another time.

I have questions and concerns regarding matters of game balance.
By all means, post them on this thread, and we'd be more than willing to hear them out. We always take the feedback of the players into consideration, and regularly make use of it to further improve this mod.

Can we export our saved-games to EU4?
You theoretically can, but the exported game will be pretty much bonked. We're planning on working on a project for either a standalone mod for EU4 or a modified converter script for CK2 instead, but that's a far-off project.

Any future plans for the mod?
Aside from continuously looking for awesome mods to integrate into LI as well as further tweaking, improving, and updating LI and adopting new content Paradox releases to the benefit of LI's setting? We're also planning a map-expansion to India using Umbra Spherae as well as potentially something that will tie-up with EU4, but that's for the far future really.

Chuunibyou Codex? What the hell?
Let me have my fun, okay? :D

Why are faces using vanilla portraits?
The Better Looking Characters module for Lux Invicta has been removed from the base mod, and is now available as an optional sub-mod to remove the requirement of needing all face DLC's to avoid black boxes.
You can find the BLC sub-mod in the [Anciliary Aperture] post in this same page as well.
[now irrelevant]

Last edited:
Can I access your Secret Version Nouveau (SVN) build?
... uh, sure. Our resident backdoor-entrance guide Benblu will show you how.
Of course, it goes without saying any that your are morally obligated to report whatever bugs you notice in our internal build, for the benefit of all of course. That, and your saves can occassionally get bonked as we tweak files here and there.

edit: make sure to use https://lux-invicta-repository.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ now instead
Actually you should use https://github.com/DarkReborn/lux-invicta-repository instead. Googlecode got ganked.

right, I forgot to edit this page (or most pages, for that matter). thanks for the heads-up

Are there any actual installation instructions for the mod? I installed the mod for CKII 2.3.6, but when I run the game it runs as a normal ckii game despite saying the mod is active. Is there any fix for this? I have all DLCs playing as well and have never run the mod before.
Thanks

Make sure the path line in the .mod file (which Windows thinks is a movie file, but is actually a text file with an odd file type) actually points to the mod's root folder. I goofed when uploading and left them different.

What version did you get, and what patch are you running?

But really all you have to do is make the path line match the actual folder name.

Last edited:
Current version (horselords), tried it with the beta patch as well. Downloaded current version of lux invicta from the github link on main mod page in forums. Again, what folder name do you mean? I've tried mod, mod/ lux invicta, etc. None work. Thanks

Did you download the zip, use an SVN client to sync, or use github to sync?

Then open the .zip, see what the folder name is in the zip, and either (1) rename the folder in your mod folder to match the path line in the .mod file, or (2) change the path line in the .mod file to match the actual folder name, as extracted.

As of the last time I downloaded it, the folder name in the .zip was lux-invicta-master-depository, and the path line was "path = mod/Lux Invicta"

Note that the Lux Invicta.mod file is inside of the lux-invicta-master-depository folder inside the .zip, and must be moved outside of it into the mod folder itself.

Yep. Crashes every time. Tried redownloading it. Tried changing all the paths. Just can't get it to work. No idea what I'm doing wrong, I've certainly manually installed other mods before using githubs zips (e.g., wtwsms).

Tried it with 2.3.6, with the most recent verison, with older versions of the game. Nada.

Did you try this version with 2.3.6?

Did you follow the Important Installation Instructions in the main thread's OP? (Forgive me if I've asked you that before.)

On the off chance that it is DLC related, what major DLCs do you have activated?

Last edited:
32 or 64 bit system? How much memory installed? (Grasping at straws here)