• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great job in securing you first duchy. BTW, I notice your cool graphics. Are you using some kind of graphic pack/mod? If yes, I would like to know where I can get it. Thanks.

the_hdk, EvilSanta - Thanks for your support

prussiablue - For the different coats of arms, go to Solo_Adhémar's excellent thread here.

Last edited:
Chapter 5

[SIZE=+2]Against the Tide: Chapter 5
The Duchy Grows, the Family Shrinks
[/SIZE]​

1086-1087: Budivoj the Peacemaker
The Christianisation of the new Duchy of Mecklemburg appeared to be going well until June 1086 when the people of Rostock rioted and looted the town. Budivoj, determined to prevent another pagan uprising like the one that killed his father, moved swiftly to crush the revolt. It would not be easy. The lands soon recovered, but anarchy would continue to reign in Rostock for the next decade. And they refused to accept the Faith.

Meanwhile to the south, the province of Brandenburg was in ruin. The heretic emperor had driven out the Duke of Brandenburg in 1080 and taken the lands for himself. Since then, armies from all over the former Empire have been fighting back the spread of the heretics in Brandenburg with the territory changing hands many times. Budivoj saw only one way to stop the violence in Brandenburg and restore order before it could spread to his domain. On the 28th of August 1086, Budivoj declared war on the Emperor.

1086map4rs.jpg

[SIZE=-1]With the Emperor having so many enemies at the moment, he shouldn’t notice one more, right?[/SIZE]​

By September, Budivoj’s army was ready to advance into Brandenburg.
1086war4hk.jpg

Saxony did not enter this war alongside Mecklemburg. This did not bother Budivoj since there were no Imperial forces in Brandenburg to put up any opposition, and the province fell in November. There were no other lands belonging to the Emperor within easy reach and so Budivoj was not interested in any further conflict. By January 1087, Budivoj had succeeded in convincing the Emperor to surrender the province to Lübeck. The people of Brandenburg hoped and prayed that this meant the end of their suffering.

Two months after the surrender of Brandenburg, the Emperor suffered a humiliating loss at the hands of the Duke of Bavaria. After almost six years of war, the Bavarians had ripped the heart out of the Empire, taking the Imperial capital of Nassau and numerous other provinces for themselves. The Emperor fled to the sanctuary of his fellow heretic the Duke of Schwaben.

1087-1091: Cursed and Blessed
In early 1087, Havel was proud to announce that he had now a second son, Jacenty, and that a new child was on the way. But 1088 saw tragedy as Havel’s wife Margherita died while in labour, the child was also lost.

Lübeck’s Bishop Jaromierz became even more ill, moving in and out of pneumonia over the next 5 years. The year 1087 was a dark time for the Church as a whole, with the death of Pope Anselm in October. But Budivoj took some consolation when he discovered that the new Pope would be none other than the Archbishop of Hamburg, knowing that he would be a fine Pope. In fact, less than one year into his reign, the new Pope issued a new call to arms throughout the Christian world, calling for the liberation of Jerusalem.

Not long after Budivoj’s eldest daughter Kamila came of age, she was receiving offers of marriage from all neighbouring Kingdoms. Budivoj was honoured to grant her hand in marriage to Miroslaw Count of Kujawi, fourth in line for the throne of Poland. All seemed so well until two years later when Budivoj heard that Kamila had suffered the same fate as Margherita and died during labour. Kamila had left behind one daughter.

The depression that had gripped Budivoj’s younger daughter Markéta since the final war against the rebels grew with every family disaster. When it was clear that she was going to fail her studies and be unable to help in her father’s court that was the end. On the 23rd of August 1090, Markéta’s body was discovered by fishermen in Lübeck harbour, her clothes had been weighted down with stones.

1090suicide5ms.jpg

Budovoj was devastated. All three of his daughters were now dead: one in infancy, one in labour, and now this. The only children he had left were his sons Havel and Milosz. While Havel had managed to find a new wife (Amalia, daughter of the Duke of Slovakia), Milosz was finding the whole family situation too much to bear. Budivoj, desperate to prevent Milosz’s stress from taking him down the same path as Markéta, frantically sought a wife for his son. Eventually he found one in Brittany. She was Berthe, a cousin of the Count of Penthievre. Budivoj granted Milosz the island of Rügen, hoping to keep him safely away from any more problems that might befall the Nakonid family.

By 1091, both Havel and Milosz were expecting children. Perhaps things were starting to turn around.

That's a dubious ending for an update if ever I saw one. I fully expect some titanic disaster in the next two sentences of the next update! ;)

Nice turnaround and rise to power. This looks like one to watch. :)

I like your sub-chapter title. Any chance of grabing another duchy??

Very nice. It is true that the smallest events can make a very good story in CK. Of course the dozens of Intrigue events can be irrititing later on in the game...

I shall be followign this! DW

Well, as sad as it is for him to lose his daughters, I would say that it is at least better than losing all of his sons.

Beautifully done job so far. :) And it always makes me happy to see the HRE break. :D

Well done! I haven't had time to catch up on reading this until now. You're doing a great job of justifying the various game events logically. It makes these people seem more real.

stnylan - A titanic disaster in two sentences? I'll see what i can do
Morpheus506 - Thanks. After smashing the rebels, my objectives are now very open.
prussiablue - Yes, i think the chances are pretty good
Dead William - This is also the first time that I have used SMACK. All of the extra events that that contains, in addition to the 1.05 upgrade, presents a huge amount of these events that give CK its flavour.
coz1 - That is true. Losing Havel would be a disaster.
Jestor - Over the coming years, "break" will be a rather light word to describe the HRE. The word "meltdown" is perhaps more suitable :)
MacRaith - Thank you! I always see the events in CK (more than in the other Paradox games) as pieces of a big puzzle. Part of the fun of CK is of course playing it, the other part to me is rearranging the pieces.
EvilSanta - and there's still a long way for him to fall...

Next update won't be until next week. Busy times here at the moment

Chapter 6

[SIZE=+2]Against the Tide: Chapter 6
Budivoj the Crusader
[/SIZE]​

1091 – 1092: A Revelation
With the dark cloud of death and depression hanging over his family, Budivoj was at a loss as to what he could do to set his family and his lands on the right path. But one night in September 1091, everything became perfectly clear.
1091event5iu.jpg

[SIZE=-1]Budivoj's Revelation[/SIZE]​

Only in the service of God would Budivoj find salvation! Granted, he had succeeded in crushing the pagan rebellion in his own lands, but that was nothing when looking at the grand scheme of things. The Holy Roman Empire was in ruins, the Baltic pagans were gathering in strength, the King of France had descended into madness and Jerusalem was still the hands of infidels. All of Christendom was under threat, and Budivoj had to do something about it.

For the following year Budivoj prepared for a crusade to free Jerusalem. He increased taxes while at the same time increasing his contributions to the church. Maintaining his promise to the late Pope Anselm, Budivoj did nothing when his ally the Duke of Saxony laid claim to the town of Rostock, Towards the end of 1091, he knew that he was following God’s Will when he received news that his younger son Milosz had had a son. Nothing was to stop Budivoj from fulfilling his quest.

1092-1093: A Change of Plan
Nothing? Well, almost nothing. In the summer of 1092, just as Budivoj was almost ready to march to Jerusalem, Marshal Prendota von Kiel died at 48. There were no possible successors for Prendota in the Lübeck court and so Budivoj was effectively paralysed. Budivoj’s wife and chancellor Gro managed to convince him that to march to the Holy Land without a suitable marshal would be nothing but suicide for all who would go. With revolts continuing in Rostock and the ever-present threat of a new pagan uprising at home, the young duchy would not stand a chance of survival.

Budivoj agonised over his loss for months. He had to save Christendom from damnation and he knew he did not have much time left on this world. At the age of 52, Budivoj was not getting any younger. With or without a marshal, Budivoj was going to bring the Light of God to this dark world. In October, Budivoj was informed by his wife that he did not need to look all that far in order to make himself heard...
1091enemy3dk.jpg

[SIZE=-1]Love thy neighbour? I don't think so[/SIZE]​

And so on the eleventh of October 1092, Budivoj declared war on his neighbour, the pagan Chieftain of Pommerania. Budivoj’s ally Simon of Saxony also rallied to the call from Lübeck. Budivoj’s Crusade had begun.

1092war12ea.jpg

By November, all of Budivoj’s forces were assembled in Wolgast and prepared to cross the Oder river just as warriors from Stettin had begun a siege of Brandenburg. Budivoj instructed his son Havel to mobilise his troops in Wolgast and drive the invaders out. By December, the pagans had been driven out of Brandenburg and Stettin.

1092war28fj.jpg

In January, as Stettin had almost fallen to Budivoj’s army, the pagans had rallied and attacked with a 2000-strong force. Thankfully, the Saxon army arrived in the province only two days after the attacks began, and the pagans were repelled and Budivoj captured the province before moving eastward. In February, the armies of Budivoj and Havel, along with the Saxon army, began to lay siege to the city of Slupsk. This was the largest pagan city and the construction of a small castle was well underway, but it was too late to hold back the Obodritte army.

Before advancing to Danzig, the mad pagan chieftain launched one final attack. The ensuing battle resulted in the deaths of almost 1600 pagan warriors and the execution of the chieftain. After this battle, the Duke of Saxony made the cowardly decision to sue for peace and returned home. Budivoj was not at all worried - this was HIS crusade.

However as Budivoj arrived in Danzig in April, Pommerania’s ally, the High Chief of the Pruthenians finally entered the fray by declaring war. The Pruthenians were a considerable distance away and so Budivoj had enough time to liberate Danzig and finally crush the Pommeranian pagans in May before advancing further east.

1093war4xo.jpg

[SIZE=-1]One down, one to go[/SIZE]​

In late June, Budivoj arrived in the Pruthenian homeland of Sambia and was surprised to find no opposition. It seemed that the Pruthenians had set sail across the Baltic towards Mecklemburg. It was then a race to see who would fall first. By the end July it was all over. The Pruthenians were no more.

While in Sambia, Budivoj had declared that he would hand over this land to his own bishop Jaromierz. His work in Lübeck was done and it was time for him to move on and spread the word. Jaromierz had recently recovered from a 6-yearlong battle with illness and saw this as God’s sign that he should to continue God’s Work in this forsaken part of the world. In recognition of his bravery in the defence of Brandenburg, Budivoj granted his son Havel the province of Stettin so that he would be ready to defend both sides of the Oder River from any future invasions.

1093map2mq.jpg

[SIZE=-1]South Baltic Coast, July 1093[/SIZE]​

After almost one year of fighting, Budivoj was determined to continue his crusade, but it was not to be. Since he still had no marshal of his own, his army had been badly depleted. Between Sambia and the rest of Budivoj’s realm was the pagan tribe of the Prussians. Joining Sambia through this Prussian corridor to Danzig would be ideal. But the Prussians were a fierce tribe under a strong military leadership. Budivoj had no choice to return home. Their Prussians would face their Day of Judgement, but not just yet.

Respite, Recovery and another Revelation
Returning home to Lübeck at the end of 1093, Budivoj was again in debt. The Pommeranian Crusade had been more expensive than he had anticipated and so it would take some time before Budivoj could go on his second crusade. But the outlook was positive. Not long after arriving back in Lübeck, an outstanding young soldier from the nearby town of Ratzeburg offered his services to the Duke. Now that Budivoj had such a promising new marshal, he knew that the days of the Prussians were numbered.

Meanwhile, as the Holy Roman Empire disintegrated further, a new power was making itself known. The Duke of Bavaria, having taken the lands of the heretic Emperor, had also consumed the entire realm of the heretical Duke of Swabia.

But there was even more unusual news to come. Roger de Hauteville, Count of Reggio and right hand of Pope Ottobono, had died in the autumn of 1093. With that, Budivoj received the most unexpected message from Rome. It seemed that the former Archbishop of Hamburg had not forgotten an old friend:
1093event3zo.jpg

Well that is a very solid power base from which to launch further crusades. bugger about your marshal's death though

well done on the papal controller appointment, any targets for excommunication? simon of saxony for example...

how're the orthodox princes doing in lithuania? are you tempted to move in on their block?

cuchulain said:
well done on the papal controller appointment, any targets for excommunication? simon of saxony for example...

I would second that. Use your status as Papal controller while you have it to claim Simon's titles.

Wow, the events really fall in line with the story. A zealous god-fearing Budivoj being rewarded as the papal controller. I agree, go after the German especially your ally cum neighbour since he has the audacity to lay claim on your Rostock. It's pay back time.

Sometimes i also excomm by potential target's heir (if he is good), so that a lame one would take over and all his vassal would rebel.