Loyal Cohorts in Cicero - Small Tease

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
One of the major “frustrations” with the handling loyalty in the game is the fact that it is not possible to disband an army you don’t want, or can’t afford, just because it is loyal to a commander.

We are changing this for the Cicero update.

• You will now be able to disband armies, even if they have cohorts loyal to a commander, as long as the commander is not disloyal.
  • Each loyal cohort disbanded will add 1 veteran cohort to the commander.
  • Veteran Cohorts are hidden potential cohorts for the commander, that will increase his power-base like normal cohorts, but won’t exist as actual units.
  • When/if a character rebels, they will convert all veteran cohorts to real cohorts, at the location of the commander.
2019_06_29_1.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
I love the idea of veterans, that adds a really nice bit of narrative of the character recruting retired soldiers into the army. Love it :) Nice work

Sweet.
Will DDs for 1.2 start Monday already or do you guys still have your hands full praising pagan gods and all that swedish summer business?

FINALLY!

No, really cool thing to hear. It has become some real annoyance, like when I divided an army into two for fast AI-controlled carpet sieging, and then those armies became loyal to their commanders and I couldn't unite them back.

BTW, @Johan , important (at least for me) question - are you planning to expand visual models of various units in the future? Like, cavalry being actual cavalry, war elefants, being elefants and everything like this? Not in 1.2, ofc, and unlikely in 1.3 but some day?

Oh, and what do you think about adding 2-3 visual variations of unit, changing with the level of military tech to show military reforms?

One of the major “frustrations” with the handling loyalty in the game is the fact that it is not possible to disband an army you don’t want, or can’t afford, just because it is loyal to a commander.

• You will now be able to disband armies, even if they have cohorts loyal to a commander, as long as the commander is not disloyal.
  • Veteran Cohorts are hidden potential cohorts for the commander, that will increase his power-base like normal cohorts, but won’t exist as actual units.
  • When/if a character rebels, they will convert all veteran cohorts to real cohorts, at the location of the commander.
View attachment 495842

A very smart kind to handle it! Thats the great design we want!

Im usually a bit negative so i just wanna post something positive because its things like this the game needs.
1. It solves an issue.
2. Adds an interesting mechanic.
3. Adds flavour and makes complete sense in the period depicted.

Very nice.

Thank glitterhoof. This will go along way towards making the management of cohorts feel less clunky (especially for the times when you got stuck with annoying 1-2 loyal cohorts that couldn't be deleted, or wanted to make more optimal troop compositions, etc.).

BTW, @Johan , important (at least for me) question - are you planning to expand visual models of various units in the future? Like, cavalry being actual cavalry, war elefants, being elefants and everything like this? Not in 1.2, ofc, and unlikely in 1.3 but some day?

Maybe some day in the future.

This is neat. I have two followup questions:

First: does this affect personal wealth at all? (I expect no or marginally ; characters pay some maintenance for loyals - they could simply pay the same for dispersed veterans?)

Second: does this affect how loyal cohorts handle in army managment outside of disbanding; can we consolidate loyals after combat to perserve xp as with non loyals? (If num of loyals reduce this way, equal veterans could be added to make it zero-sum?!) ... this would pretty seamless and great?

This looks great! Once the veteran cohorts are activated, will they reduce your manpower? Imagine you are low on manpower and the last-able bodied men in the realm pledge themselves to a rebellious general... (I mean that i like the sound of it).

This is a very good idea, though I would be interested in seeing something that incentivizes disbandment for smaller countries where the manpower loss is a significant dent (or in general).

View attachment 495842

This is not just a great way to handle it gameplay-wise, its also historical accurate! Love it :)

Imagine being so hyped about 1.2 cicero and all stuff its bringing that you cant wait for monday dev diary to post stuff about it:D :p

This is a great fun and very historical adittion. Very glad to hear. Just one thing: Does the commander keep paying wages for the loyal cohorts just as it does now? I suppose it shouldnt since they are supposedly retired and gone back to their estates and jobs until called again.

Ps: hasnt this brilliant idea inspired something along these lines but affecting pops and the economy? That is disbanded cohorts are poos going back active into the economy? I dont know, like finally tying manpower numbers to actial pop numbers ala victoria? Or maybe a modifierat least or something? ;)

Looking great, keep it up.

Nice!

Thematically unlucky that this wasn't ready to be included in the update called Pompey, though:

"When some were saying that if Cæsar should march against the city they could not see what forces there were to resist him, Pompey replied with a smile, bidding them be in no concern, "for whenever I stamp my foot in any part of Italy there will rise up forces enough in an instant, both horse and foot."
Plutarch
Life of Pompey.