• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What did they put in those apple pies?
For the longest time, scientists were baffled by the sudden, relatively speaking, mutation of the humans that landed on Neo America. Even after advancements in genetics, there is still debates about the cause. Some believe that radiation from the unstable wormhole had a domino effect everyone on the colony ships. Others believe it was an unexpected food source reaction to the mineral deposits in Neo America's crust. Whatever was the cause, the colonists soon found themselves... changing.

DeltaSquad_HiRes.jpg

Army Strong
Probably the most obvious difference between a human and a terran is musculature. Namely, the terran has a whole lot more of it. At first, it was believed that the hard living from the environment forced people to be more physically active. Others thought it was the increased usage of superfoods developed during the early attempts to adapt. However, parents soon found themselves with children heartier and healthier than could be expected from pumping all the iron and drinking all the neo-space-protein. It was particularly apparent when said children were flipping trucks for fun in their teenage years.
For a time, insurance companies were suffering a waking nightmare of constant accidental property damage, until sturdier stuff was developed.

Gonna need more elbow room
However, despite the obvious advantage having a population of super strong humans would provide, there was also more negative side effects. For one thing, increased strength does not equate to increased efficiency. In fact, some think that humanity has become even more high-maintenance. For one thing, terrans are more easily... agitated. They don't like being as crowded as humans can be, and they are a lot more sensitive about leaving familiar environments. It isn't so much a loss of wanderlust, just an increase in travel allergies. This has also led to a requirement for more living space, if only because terrans need a bigger door to fit through.

They're like the internet in that way
The side effect with the most social impact, however, is entirely mental: terrans are more argumentative about their viewpoints. In fact, many modern historians believe that this was the greatest catalyst for the Neo American Civil War, as in hindsight many of the events that led up to it seemed kind of... extreme, when compared to similar events in human history (that anyone is aware of according to surviving archives).
In fact, some terran conspiracy theorists (of which there are plenty, unfortunately) argue that the chain of events leading up to that historic moment were almost tailor made.
Some of the even crazier elements even wonder if some sort of omniscient being had jumped around to make sure everything happened just so... But those are fringe elements that no one takes seriously.

What y'all need is some discipline, that's what you need
There are a few socio-political theorists who go further, and say that the USNA's "Liberal Stratocracy" (as some would call it)) is merely a logical conclusion of this mental mutation. After all, humans were volatile enough in a Representative Democracy. Now imagine all the politicians are more easily agitated, more prone to disagreement, and could punch through an Earth-standard wall. While many to this day debate the changes the General made to the constitution, even more at least understand the logic he was working under when he made the decision: the leaders of this nation needed both to prove their commitment to it, as well as the discipline afforded by military training in order to keep a cool enough head to function properly.

Terran Up The Night
Just because I can make that reference. Hey, "Terran" is an excepted alternate sci-fi name for humans, alright? I'm making all these other references, might as well this one, too.
Well, that, and Stars and Stripes Raynor being the spark that set me on the path of doing something like this.
latest

Next time, hopefully a patriotic beginning.

Okay, so the AAR won't be in time for Independence Day. Call it a combination of poor planning, the fact that I'm basically doing this on a whim, being distracted by all the other things, and trying to work up the courage to actually play this because I'm actually terrible at Paradox grand strategy games :p. However, I did complete an Enclave Reformed playthrough in HoI4: OWB, so there's that.

DDFEC94F90266FA4E2A37806562F2B08D97D181B

So happy 243rd, America. Here's a present.

FD18130AD722B6C433B57C41B6F649C77E4D02BF

What? She's from an Atmospheric Aphrodisiac world! What would you expect if gene modifications had become the norm on one of those?

The start button has been successfully pressed! Got a nice little corner all to myself in the galaxy.

Wish me luck. Because despite all my working to sell how awesome the USNA's gonna be...

I must reiterate, I am not the best at this game. It's much more likely I'm going to end up coming off as this:

Or this:

Oh well. Onward!

Me: "Hey, I want to do an AAR of Stellaris. It'll be fun!"
Life:

Sorry for the delay, all, but RL's being stubborn about existing, the nerve. Haven't forgotten this thread, just been forced to push it down in priority. Here's hoping the near future is more accommodating.

Well, just because I haven't booted up Stellaris doesn't mean I can't have something for the... 10 people who have looked at this thread 300 times. So let's talk about an interesting setting quirk:

Video from the May 26th [Redacted] Clone Army simulations, testing the viability of the "re-spawn" strategy of uploading fallen soldier memories into a field-grown replacement body. While medical technology used in the tests were later developed in advanced combat hospitals to treat extreme wounds, Respawning Clones was ultimately deemed not enough of an improvement over naturally trained soldiers. In fact, it was determined that, due to the constant state of death and rebirth, that cloned soldiers started developing a rather blasé attitude to the subject to the point of uncaring, which led to an unfortunate increase in collateral damage, as the concept of saving civilian lives was lost on people used to dying.

Votes are like dollars...
You start printing them like crazy, the less valuable they become. That was, at least, the initial shaky argument when the technology for cloning was developed in the USNA. It's one thing for a citizen to come to their choice through a life of growing up, hearing all points of view, coming to a conclusion, then fighting to be able to bring that voice to bare. It's entirely another thing for someone to be created, starting at adult age, with a specific viewpoint implanted in their brain, in a mass-produced fashion. Even *more* so when that person is created *solely* for the purpose of combat. The former is dangerous from the perspective that someone could synthesize entire political blocs to get themselves elected. The latter is anathema to a society that values giving civilian leadership roles to military veterans.

So while, like all technologies, the use of clones was tested under very limited control environments, ultimately, like Drones before, it was decided that specialized clone armies, or even classical clones, would not be used. Instead, the [ErrorMissingFile] was signed to limit the technology to the medical field, such as alternate birthing methods, or limb replacement.

But just in case... There are a few clone DNA sequences on file

Oscar Mike - Probably the point that the developers realized that they might need to take a different approach, the Oscar Mike preset was the one successful batch created using conventional training methods. The level of insubordination and immaturity exhibited by previous efforts was bordering on unbelievable. Charlie Delta and Bravo Charlie in particular had biohazard levels of toxicity that even hardened officers found unworkable. Even so, the Oscar Mike preset had questionable levels of stability. While his overenthusiasm for soldiering was rather endearing even to the civilians, said overenthusiasm also lead to there being less civilians alive to be endearing. In the end, the preset was kept, if only because other soldiers might find them humorous.

Solid Snake - A bit of an indulgence by New American scientists, basing this preset on the famous "Snake" character from a popular holomovie series, which covered, among other topics, the "humane" creation of clone troops. While the approach suggested by the series (raising the clone as an orphan, than using societal memes to direct them towards military service) turned out to be unobtainable with the actual technology, the designers tried to maintain the spirit as much as possible. They were ultimately successful, creating a stable personality skilled in the ways of combat. As an added bonus, the preset seemed particularly skilled in infiltration and recon. That said, they weren't able to avoid... quirks developing. A tendency to repeat everything told to them back as a question, a bazaar fixation with cardboard boxes, and a tendency to get lost in long-winded slightly stilted conversation with support elements were tolerable. A difficulty with identifying civilians, and a lackluster reflex in getting them out of harm's way, however, not as much.

Fisherman Lumberjack
- Kind of a bazaar choice by the Concord scientists, Fisherman Lumberjack was supposedly based off of someone one of the researchers knew personally. Called such because of a resemblance to a stereotypical Concord fisherman and/or lumberjack, Fisherman Lumberjack turned out to be an... interesting success. Hard working, dedicated to the cause, and gifted with a surprisingly thoughtful sense of humor, officers found themselves rather liking this preset. Unfortunately, as was the case with most of these attempts, there was a problem. Unlike other examples, Fisherman Lumberjack actually deeply cared about civilian lives, as well as the damage he might cause. He was also unlucky, and prone to bad snap judgement. The amount of damage caused because of some freak unknowable factor on top of occasional wrong choices often would cause a feedback loop of depression and frustration, which would only lead to more incidents down the line. It was calculated that, by the time clone troopers were old enough to "retire", that Fisherman Lumberjack would be in such a state that putting him into "retirement" was considered a blessing for him.

Lone Ryder - A bit of a joke about how a clone army wouldn't really be that "lone", the Austin scientists had a bit of fun designing this "perfect cowboy" archetype. With a genetically engineered chin stubble, gravelly voice, and wide gait, this perfectly designed gentleman had a lot of potential. Indeed, when it came to sharpshooting, CQB, and advanced mechanized reconnaissance, Ryder had few matches. However, as was becoming a running joke amongst the science teams, there was a problem with collateral damage. In this case, the idea of "making sure something is dead", as well as what could be politely called a liberal usage of high explosives often left bullet-holed rubble in the wake of their tire tracks as they rode off into the sunset.

Scarlet Vixen - Not technically a single sequence, but a collection. Turns out "busty redheaded amazon" is a popular fantasy, and more than a few scientists were wiling to scratch an itch. Of particular note is Fuchsbau Ltd.'s Gigantischer Panzerfuchsin, a Terran-Sionnach hybrid created with very specific design tolerances in mind. While ultimately clones didn't become common, it has been noted that a number of familiar looking women have been cropping up within the regular population...
latest

By the way, some of y'all are probably thinking: "Wait, the USNA has Solid Snake clones, but Terrans are super strong? That's not very accurate!" And I'd agree with you...
If it wasn't the Metal Gear Acid version!

metal_gear_acid_conceptart_kfETX.jpg

Ha HA! See, I'm thinking three steps ahead!... Three steps later.:p

Me - *Working away at other projects, Stellaris having been pushed down near the bottom*
Paradox - "In Stellaris Federations, we shall expand empire creation to include Origins, including things like Void Dwellers, where citizens live in habitats, as well as 17 other options."
My brain - "… SO MANY IDEAS!!"

I mean, seriously, Void Dweller SPACE PIRATE PARROTS. I demand at least one let's player do that.

Actually, Void Dweller might also fit with Realta Sionnach Mileata, really push that Metal Gear Solid reference... Hmm, might need to see the other options first.

So yeah, might see an updated versions of all the empires I made in this thread in the future. Probably won't be official, with screenshots and everything, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.