• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hive said:
As long as they do not lose money due to a mod, and as long as the mod makers do not *make* money on it, I really cannot see any problem using parts of their (or Tolkien's) universe.

LucasArts won't even allow porting a model from one game to it's sequel (which, btw, annoys me greatly), and I cannot see any possible damage that could do. Did I mention that I don't like LucasArts?

Playing the devils advocate, you could say that by providing even a free mod, people might buy the game to use the mod and thus the game makers are making money due to the mod. I don't know if that holds, though.

It's a pity though, I had started work on a Middle Earth map, but I'll just leave it now. :(

middlearth.png

anduin.png

(there are mview screenshots, by the way)

Last edited:
Inferis said:
Playing the devils advocate, you could say that by providing even a free mod, people might buy the game to use the mod and thus the game makers are making money due to the mod. I don't know if that holds, though.

I don't think it's all that far-fetched.

Say you make a Star Wars mod for Half-Life 2 or something... say some HL2 player, who usually doesn't care about the SW universe, plays it and really likes it - is it unrealistic to think that he might get taste for more SW, and then goes off to buy some of LucasArts' games? I do not think so.

The same if you do an LOTR map. If I play on an LOTR map in EU2, maybe I'll get sucked in and go out and buy the books. Not far-fetched.

It's a pity though, I had started work on a Middle Earth map, but I'll just leave it now. :(

Well it would be a shame if you do an entire map just to find out that it has been for nothing...

I was thinking...

He could create the map... but since no one will create a scenery... for that map :rolleyes: There could be a scenery made for the normal EU2 map... regarding that ... (oops!!! Didn't noticed that!!!) the province Id could be equal in both vanilla and Inferis made maps, to the kingdoms in question, that would have similar names.. not equal, of course,
but after that work has begun, I' d probably delete this post of mine

Inferis, that map was getting a bit sea-zone heavy, wasn't it? Especially for a scenario that would probably be rather light on the naval side.

And you commited the great sin of 4-province borders. :)

Gwalcmai said:
Inferis, that map was getting a bit sea-zone heavy, wasn't it? Especially for a scenario that would probably be rather light on the naval side.

And you commited the great sin of 4-province borders. :)

The seazones are quite large (the screenshots are resized a bit). About the same size as your average EU2 seazone, I guess.

4-provinces-border-sin? :confused:

A curious political map of middle earth:

Map

|AXiN| said:
I'd like to point out that Johan has at least 3 4-province-borders in China, and I'm sure I spotted a couple more elsewhere.
He may have some, but he said (and quite rightly, IMO) that 4 provinces meeting in the same point creates unnecessary confusion. Is diagonal movement possible in those points? Can the player tell whether movement is possible?

There's a world map in Karen Wynn Fonstad's Atlas of Middle Earth.

Gwalcmai said:
He may have some, but he said (and quite rightly, IMO) that 4 provinces meeting in the same point creates unnecessary confusion. Is diagonal movement possible in those points? Can the player tell whether movement is possible?

That's what I mean - they are confusing, and diagonal movement isn't possible, but looks as if it might be. It's just interesting that even the God of EU2 made some mistakes.

Because he was project leader, and as such is responsible for the whole bundle. :) As such, he is responsible, even if he wasn't the one who actually drew the map.

Or because everyone seems to think of the game as a one-man-show, your pick. ;)

About being sued: I think it depends in which country you live in.
Since its non profit and not a direct copy of a existing product, I dont think any swedish prosecutor/court would waste time on such case. Im not even sure if it would be illegal at all in Sweden. Anyway, one need a very strong case to sue someone for money in Sweden. At worst one would probably just be forced to drop the project, which further motivates that no prosecutor will bother about it. I dont even think it will reach their desk, before it is dropped.

I know swedish people who wrote their own swedish LOTR movie subtitles, and made them available on the internet. They were told to remove them or be sued, but they ignored it and nothing happend. It was a empty threat. So I wouldnt worry.

I thought of something like this once

Sven_vegas said:
About being sued: I think it depends in which country you live in.
Since its non profit and not a direct copy of a existing product, I dont think any swedish prosecutor/court would waste time on such case. Im not even sure if it would be illegal at all in Sweden. Anyway, one need a very strong case to sue someone for money in Sweden. At worst one would probably just be forced to drop the project, which further motivates that no prosecutor will bother about it. I dont even think it will reach their desk, before it is dropped.

I know swedish people who wrote their own swedish LOTR movie subtitles, and made them available on the internet. They were told to remove them or be sued, but they ignored it and nothing happend. It was a empty threat. So I wouldnt worry.

I don't think that they'd sue anyone for doing a non-profit mod of a computer game with the topic Middle-Earth.
There are thousands of other LotR mods in the Internet for dozens of games.
they wouldn't waste their time sueing them.

I would say no. That one would give you totally wrong shaped provinces, like Rohan for example. And the scale is all wrong.