• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No shortage of wars - I think Kettu is almost getting bored.
I'd say frustrated more like :D

Thank you very much, I particularly liked Ahma's scene on his stone contemplating his past and the future. It was nicely written.
I liked how it turned out too. I sort of had the realization too when I was writing it that 'damn, I can't really be comparing Ahma to his father anymore, this guy has achieved much more than his father ever did' and had to rewrite almost the whole scene with that in mind. But it really flowed out nicely after then.

Chapter 33

A War on the Field and a War in the Shadows

Susi walks around the bodies strewn across the battlefield. It was a victory for him and his brother, sure, but the cost in men was horrible. Out of the 3000 that they had left from the Kievan campaign, they had lost 900 men. Whilst the Velskians they fought lost only around 750 men out of an army of almost equal size. The battle of Vashka was a decisive one for the Velskian war, besides occupying Kargopol, but it came at a cost for the Finnish army. "Dammit, how are we supposed to keep fighting in the war against Noregr if we lose almost a third of the men we have left?" Susi cursed to himself as he wiped his blade clean of blood.
Less than a week later High Chief Kharuchi of Velsk surrendered and became a vassal of King Nabtiko.

It was midwinter and Ahma was just returning from the market. A merchant had arrived from southern Baltic, a rare occurrence in the middle of winter, so Ahma went to see if he would have anything of interest, since he would brave the cold winter to trade this far up North. Nothing really caught Ahma's eye, but something did catch his ear. It seems High Chief Sulistryj of Mazovia and both Lesser and Greater Poland had converted to the Catholic faith, with the help of the Bavarian King, Dietwin 'the Holy' . "More and more people are abandoning the old ways. Maybe one day even my descendants will abandon the ways of our people and begin to worship the cross," he thought to himself as he entered the great hall. He was about to enter his bedroom when his steward called to him.
"My King, a moment please, I have urgent news!"
"Then do tell me Hintsa" Ahma said as he turned away from the door. Hintsa was breathing heavily, as if he had been running around trying to find Ahma.
"King Jurva has been killed on the battlefield."
"What?! But hasn't the war been over for almost two years now!?"
"The Kievan war, yes. But The High Chief of Merya declared war on King Jurva soon after that was over, to claim the High Chiefdom of Veps for himself. Their armies met in Uglich, and reportedly one of the Meryan commanders slew King Jurva during the battle, but was also mortally wounded himself."
"For the love of... And , who is the new King?"
"Apparently Kaarle. And before you ask, yes, he has decided to continue pay tribute to you, my King."
"Good, good. If you have nothing else, you may go now."
Hintsa gave a short bow and left. Ahma went to his room to get some sleep. "By gods, this is the fourth King of Greater Ilmenia. And the Kingdom hasn't even existed for all that long, less than Finland. And I'm the only King of Finland so far." He shook his head and poured himself some water from the jug on his table. "If I remember right, Kaarle is the younger brother of Kuuti, who was the second King of Ilmenia. And those two are cousins to the first and third Kings, Kaleva and Jurva, who in turn were brothers." He drank the cup of water in one gulp. "Oh the messes of inheritance. I just hope my sons can keep the Kingdom together once it's my time to go."

Susi and Kettu were forming defensive positions as fast as they could. The Noregr forces had caught them by surprise in Dvina. The Norse only had some 2500 men according to the scouts, but that was still couple hundred more than what they themselves had. Luckily reinforcements from Nenetsia were on their way, so they would just have to hold on until then.

A storm was brewing over the two armies when the Norse arrived. Both sides took it as a good omen. Finns as a sign from Ukko, and the Norse as a sign from Thor. But the victor would be the one to truly know which side had their god's favor.

The battle was turning into a stalemate. Both right flanks were losing and so left flanks advanced. The centers stood their ground and were grinding each other down where they stood. Both had tried to outflank the other but had failed. In such a situation it seemed the difference of just couple hundred men would be the deciding factor in favor of the Norse. But then the Nenetsians arrived. Two thousand men strong army charged from the Norse rear and their lines broke as soon as they collided. The day was won and it seemed that Ukko was the one having shown favor. Thanks to the Nenetsians Finns lost only some 400 men, whilst the Norse lost almost a thousand. The Noregr King would surely soon give up after losing so many soldiers.

Meanwhile back home, a son is born to Kettu and Kontäw, named Pyry. She had been visiting her father Hasaba in Ääninen, where he is employed as the Steward, when the army of Susi and Kettu passed through on their way to Kargopol. Kettu wouldn't learn of his son's birth before returning home though.

The early summer finally sees the peace made between Noregr and Nenetsia. The same summer also sees the death marshal Seppo, but Susi recommends a young commander, Kuuti, as the next marshal. The young man had proven himself multiple times on the field of battle in both the Kievan and Nenetsian wars. Soon after a son is also born to Urho and Tuija, named Ahvo. Later the same year Ahma receives news that High Chief Kezhevat has declared a war of conquest on King Zhavoronok of Kiev. Later that day he summons Suoma to his study.
"I have challenged the coward to a duel once already but he refused. And now that he is in a war I can't expect him to accept any more challenges for a while, if ever, no matter how I would insult him."
"Then what would you like to do?" she asked, half expecting the answer.
"I want you... to... you know, deal with him." Ahma wasn't used to such cloak and dagger business, especially when it came to settling scores. He had always either fought the other party in a duel or war, but now the other party was too far away for a war and refusing challenges.
"How would you like it done?" she asked in a sweet voice that was almost a whisper.
"Doesn't matter, as long he dies. The sooner the better."
"As you say," she bowed, and then lifted her head. "I'd reckon a year or two should suffice."
"Good, good. And speak of this to no one. I don't want people to know that the Hero of the Followers is resorting to such... um..."
"Cravenly tactics?"
"Yes. No offense."
"None taken, completely understandable."
Suoma left the study, clearly deep in thought. But only the two of them knew what she was thinking about.

The following spring passes uneventfully, until in early summer Ahma receives a messenger from the King of Greater Ilmenia, Kaarle. The messenger brings news that the King of Sviþjod has declared a war with the aim of conquering Kalevan. Ahma decides to summon his councilors to discuss the matter.
"We have received a call to arms from the tributary of Greater Ilmenia, who are under attack from Sviþjod," Ahma began. "Now, you may be wondering why I am discussing this with you as before I have just decided on these matters alone. But we have gotten out of two big wars just a year ago and suffered heavy casualties as a result. And I want to know what is the current state of the Kingdom. Can we even partake in this war?"
Marshal Kuuti is the first to speak. "My King, I believe we should be able to wage war as of currently. Your personal guard is back to its full strength and add to that what levies we can muster and what forces your vassals are willing to send, we should be able to field some seven to eight thousand men for the war."
Steward Hintsa spoke next. "Economically we should be able to participate. The Kievan and Nenetsian wars were costly, in both lives lost and wages paid, but the lands of Finland were untouched by the war and so our economy is still doing well, despite losing many a hand that could've worked the fields. There should be no shortage of funds and resources at least."
"And it would seem that the King of Sviþjod is going at this alone," High Chief Onni, the chancellor, noted. "He hasn't called any of his allies to this war, only his vassal tribes." He then leaned on the table that stood in the middle of all of them, still sitting in his chair as his gout made standing difficult. "Also, if the Norse take Kalevan, which apparently is their aim, they control all of the lands of Estonia, besides Läänemaa that is under the control of High Chief Kettu, son of the first King of Greater Ilmenia. If they succeed the King of Sviþjod could declare himself the King of Estonians for all he cares and no one could argue it in the slightest."
That somehow didn't sit well with Ahma. "A Norse declaring himself the King of Estonians. Preposterous," he thought to himself.
"Alright, it seems we should be able to participate in this war. But we must remember that this time the enemy is closer that in the last wars, so our lands might also be affected. We have to prepare for that. And I think I shall lead the army this time, I'm feeling a lot better than I did few years ago."
With that the councilors all bowed and took their leave. Ahma still met with Suoma privately in his study.
"So, what's your take on this?"
"Well, it would seem that this is simply a war of conquest, nothing else to it. No personal grudges or vengeance. Just plain conquest."
"Better that way. Easier to know what to look out for and where the enemies are." Ahma let out a heavy sigh and turned to Suoma. "Anything yet about the matter with Kezhevat?"
"Nothing major, but I've been able to get some people in his court to join in. Seems like he isn't all that well liked, even among his own."
Ahma let out a chuckle. "No surprise there, to be honest."
Suoma then leaves and Ahma begins to contemplate on a strategy. He will give his answer to the messenger on the morning.

Ahma was hurrying his troops to Savo after he heard the news. Almost 4300 Norse had been sighted moving to Savo, where some 700 Savonians had gathered before heading to Käkisalmi, where Ahma was gathering his army. A battle was inevitable, the messenger had said. "This is a chance that we cannot let go by, lest the deaths of the Savonian troops go to waste," he thought. Knowing the Savonians, they won't go down without a fight. And that fight could give Ahma enough time to get to Savo before the battle is even over and crush the enemy army before they even get to Estonian lands.

Ahma saw the battlefield from on top of the hill. The Norse had managed to catch the Savonians in a clearing, just outside the woods where the Savonians could've fought back better. "Well, at least the Savonian bowmen are taking cover in the woods and raining some arrows on the enemy," he mused to himself. "Showing some good strategy in a desperate situation at least." Ahma had his infantry and archers take positions behind the enemy, whilst he would lead the cavalry to charge from the flank. And the cavalry charge came in the nick of time. The Savonians were badly beaten and on the verge of collapse when the Norse lines suddenly began to fall under the surprise attack. Commander Taisto came to Ahma after the battle.
"My King, we've counted about three and a half thousand Norse dead or dying, whilst our casualties were little under nine hundred. Most of them Savonians."
"Thank you. This has been a great blow to the enemy army, in both men and morale. I doubt they can field another army strong enough to be a threat to us."

Ahma finally reaches the Estonian lands in midsummer. He had detoured via Häme after he received news that Norse reinforcements were coming through there. Some 700 men strong. After they were dealt with Ahma could focus on occupying the Sviþjod lands in Estonia. Whilst in Estonia Ahma received news that the old King Zhavoronok of Kiev had died and succeeded by his daughter, Gremislava, making her the Queen of Kiev. News from further north also reached Ahma. His son-in-law, Chief Lágon of Finnmárku died of Great Pox. He was succeeded by his son, Gáktu. Then one night, one of Suomas' agents came to Ahmas' tent with news.
"My King, we have received worrying news that Kezhevat has placed spies of his own in Finland and even in your court with the intent to murder you."
"That is worrying. Has Suoma began to dealt with them?"
"Yes, we have suspicions about whom these spies are and are feeding false information to them. Both to protect you and to find out who really are the spies when the information is acted upon."
"Good, good. What about our own little... plan? Do you have any knowledge in regards to that?"
"Actually, yes. We have a plan in motion currently. Kezhevat has taken the fort of Yelets just a few days ago and is planning on having a feast there to celebrate. After all, taking Yelets was his goal."
"A feast? When the war is still going on? What is the idiot thinking?"
"To boost the morale, perhaps? Or to forget about any earthly worries that might plague him, such as an assassination plot hanging over his head? Regardless, we have plans that Kezhevat will start the feast, but will not live to see it to the end. Or, more likely, it will end with him."
A sly grin rose to Ahma's lips. "Good. And is there any way for it to be tracked back to us?"
"No, unless any of the few that are privy to the details of what will happen that night talk. And I highly doubt they will. One of them hates Kezhevat with a passion, but has nowhere else to go, and the rest would just prefer his heir to take the reins sooner rather than later. That's how little he is liked, despite the current success in the war."
Ahma couldn't help but laugh. "Truly, a man that only his mother could love," he thought. "Well, too bad that even his mother is already dead then."
Ahma then rose from his seat and dismissed the agent, who left the tent quickly and silently. Ahma grabbed his personal tankard from the table and began to head outside himself.
"Guess I'll celebrate with my men and have some ale with them tonight," he spoke to himself as he raised the flap of his tent.

Let us hope no one enjoys himself too much at the feast to talk.

Chapter 34

The Great Bear

"It seems that King Eirikr is still willing to go on with the war" commander Tapio said.
Ahma let out a frustrated sigh. "That stubborn bastard. We hold all his lands in Estonia now, he can barely hope to be able to mount an effective attack to Ilmenian lands now."
"It may be so, but he is still willing to wage the war."
"Well, I guess that our only choice is to head towards Sviþjod itself," Ahma mumbled. He stood up from his chair and walked past his commanders towards the outside. "Prepare to break camp. We leave at noon tomorrow."
"What will be our destination, my King?" another of his commanders asked.
"We go back through Finland and to Åland. Once the isles are under our control we can safely go for Uppsala, where the King holds his court." Ahma stepped outside the tent, taking a deep breath of the crisp winter air. He walked towards his own tent, thinking about his situation. "Kaarle died of pneumonia a couple months ago and his nephew, Valto, was chosen as the next King of Ilmenia despite being only 11 years old. There has to be something behind such a choice. Someone who hopes to manipulate things from behind the scenes with such a young King on the throne. I'll have to get Suoma to look into it now that the matter with Kezhevat is over." Ahma let a small grin form on his lips. Oh, how happy he was to hear that the plot that his spymaster had come up with had worked and Kezhevat died of poison during his own feast. And no one had indeed talked. Of course there were suspicions, given the animosity between the two of them, but nothing solid. As Ahma entered his own tent, he took a look at his armor. "It may be old, but it still does its job." He missed the wolverine helmet though. It had gotten quite worn down over the years and was beyond repair. Besides, he has been the Hero of the Followers for a while now. He had his bear helmet as a symbol of that to be used nowadays anyway. And the bearskin cloak as well. With the leather armor he did indeed look like a bear on the chaotic battlefield. At least so much so that some had begun nicknaming him 'the Great Bear', especially after the last battle at Narva where his army managed to catch an enemy army of about 600 men off guard. It was a slaughter, and Ahma was in the thick of it, taking down enemies left and right despite his age. He let out a small chuckle remembering the fight and how afterwards some said that it looked like a raging bear had been let loose on the battlefield. Ahma happily accepted such an image though. After all, who would dare to stand against someone called 'the Great Bear'?

The following summer saw Ahma's goal accomplished. Åland had fallen quickly and now finally Uppsala itself was under his control. He wasn't in the mood to celebrate himself though. He had received a message just a few days earlier that his wife had passed away in her sleep little less than a month ago. They said it was sudden. That she had seemed fine that evening and gone to bed as normal, but had not awoken the following morning. She was 65 years old. Suoma had sent a letter along with the messenger, assuring Ahma that there was no foul play involved in his wife's death. She also told that she hasn't been able to find anything suspicious about the appointment of the new, young Ilmenian King. After Uppsala was taken Ahma decides to retire from the battlefield and go back home to mourn his wife in peace. He leaves the overall command of the army to Tapio, the most capable of his commanders. His instructions to Tapio were simply
"Occupy all the land that you can. Force King Eirikr to admit defeat when he can no longer even travel in his own Kingdom safely". Tapio promised to do his utmost best to achieve this goal.

The following winter King Eirikr of Sviþjod finally accepted the peace terms. Ahma was happy to hear such news. His mood had been getting better, mostly thanks to his son Haapa, who despite the somber mood of his father and the quarreling of his two elder brothers, always managed to bring up the mood. Especially during one family dinner when he had even managed to get Susi and Kettu to stop their bickering and even agree on something. He was often also one of the first to console the many grandchildren Ahma had when they were missing their grandmother after her death. Ahma saw how good of a son Haapa was, but knew that he would not be the most fit to rule as King. He had raised Susi for that role. The eldest was to lead and the youngest were to follow or stay back and keep the peace in the land while the King was away.

Come spring a son was born to Haapa and Mielikki, named Reko. Ahma had decided months ago that he would hold a great festival in the spring, to celebrate the wars now behind him and the secured hegemony over the North. He was especially interested in the various craftsmen that had come for the festival. He could see that the number of artisans in general had increased since the founding of the logging company in Pohjanmaa. He was more than happy to see such good results come from it. Whilst he was perusing the wares of the various merchants he heard there was to be a singing competition held soon. Ahma decided to take a look at the competition and to his surprise his grand-daughter Marja was participating. Not much to his surprise though, she won the competition. He had heard her singing a few times before and knew how beautiful her voice is. He even heard one of the judges complimenting her by saying how her voice would rival even Väinämöinen himself. "A bit farfetched to be honest" Ahma thought, "but not wholly inaccurate. I'd much rather listen to her sing than some old man."
After the year's harvest a daughter was born to Susi and Vezhav. She was named Mesi. Even later the same year Kettu and Kontäw also had a daughter, Lyylikki. Ahma didn't even dare to count just how many grandchildren he has at this point.

Another winter gone by, another spring arrived. With it, Ahma is attending another gathering of the Followers, after a few year break. Soon after Ahma arrives he begins hearing talks about him and the apparent next head Hero, Andyamo 'Bear Spirit'. The other Followers had been talking and speculating which of them would win a duel. Later that evening Ahma had heard enough of these talks and decided that it was time for people to talk about something else. He walked to Andyamo and asked: "Since the other Followers have been wondering so long which of us is the better fighter, how about we have a little sparring match and put an end to those speculations?"
Andyamo accepted the offer eagerly, and the two of them walked outside the great hall and both grabbed wooden swords for the match.
And just like the talks the duel was long and grueling, with neither getting the upper hand. Ahma is feeling like his knees are about to give out under him when he finally manages to get a good solid hit on Andyamo's stomach after a missed swing. Andyamo fell squarely on his buttocks with his sword out of reach.
"Looks like it's my victory" Ahma grinned, leaning on his wooden sword and barely standing anymore.
"Sure does, old bear. Though I must say, you don't look much better either."
Ahma spat over his shoulder. "I've had better days. Some twenty years ago." He burst out laughing and Andyamo soon joined him. With that the matter of whether the Great Bear or the Bear Spirit would win was settled.

The following summer Ahma had found a good match for his grand-daughter Marja. As she was the eldest child of Susi, Ahma had wished for the children from her marriage to be considered of her blood, not that of the father. But finding someone worthy of marrying the grand-daughter of a King and accepting to these conditions was difficult. But he found someone he thought worthy and who accepted the conditions. Olev, son of High Chief Jaolemb 'the Rash' of Estonia. Olev wasn't yet born when his father died so the High Chiefdom went to Kaleva who later became the first King of Greater Ilmenia. With this Ahma's bloodline has some claim to the lands south of the Gulf if there was ever going to be a conquest of those lands. At least he hopes Susi will try to take those lands from Sviþjod. The Finnish hegemony won't last unless it is asserted every now and then.

A few days later Ahma is approached by Suoma in his study.
"You wished to speak with me?"
"Yes, my King. I wished to asked you of something."
"Go on then, you have my attention." Ahma was still a bit annoyed how Suoma still acted so formally when it was just the two of them, despite telling her she didn't need to.
"I noticed that you've been searching suitors for your grand-daughters lately and I have a proposition. My son, Seppo, is not of age yet and he hasn't gotten betrothed to anyone yet. I was thinking, maybe one of your grand-daughters would be a good fit?"
Ahma raised an eyebrow. "Oh, would they now? I have already promised him a lot by returning Karelia to your family's control once he comes of age. Why should I give him more?"
"With all honesty uncle, he has been acting somewhat unruly lately. Perhaps knowing there is a woman of great standing waiting for him would help set him straight. And if the woman was of your blood it would also help secure his loyalty to the crown."
Ahma could feel she was being honest since she changed her tone and wasn't being so formal any more. And an unruly vassal was something no King desired.
"Perhaps you are right. Did you have anyone particular in mind from my grand-daughters? And know that I do not wish to have any of Susi's daughters for this marriage. I wish for them to marry potential allies outside Finland to help secure Susi's position once I am gone."
There was a slight look of surprise on Suoma's face that Ahma barely glimpsed. Had she not expected him to agree? Or did she plan on marrying one of Susi's daughters for her own gains and now those plans were dashed? Ahma didn't know for sure but as far as he knew Suoma, she hadn't probably expected him to agree.
"I had someone in mind actually. Tuuli, Haapa's daughter. I have talked to most of your grand-daughters and she seems the one who would be the best fit to my son."
"Very well, this I shall grant. Then let it be known that Seppo and Tuuli are betrothed from today onwards and are to be married once both are of age. Seppo is also to become the High Chief of Karelia after the marriage is complete."
"Thank you uncle. Truly, thank you."
After Suoma had left Ahma was still thinking to himself in his study. "That Suoma. Sly woman to say the least. But I wonder, was this her idea originally? Because for some reason I can see Taimi's handiwork in this. Maybe she had thought of it first and Suoma hadn't dared to ask until now because of her death? Well, guess I'll never really know."
Ahma let out a yawn and began to head towards his own chambers.

A little familial plotting?

Chapter 35

Final Legacy

Ahma was walking through the market on a busy summer day with his new chancellor, Chief Urho of Satakunta. Onni had died from complications relating to his gout a month earlier and was succeeded by his son Turo as High Chief of Savonia. Turo wasn't of the diplomatic kind however, so he didn't get the position his father had held for a couple decades by the time of his death. Ahma and Urho were going through the various merchants for any interesting goods and also to listen to any rumors from the South that the merchants were bringing with them. And many of the news of what has happened over the winter and spring were major indeed. One of the more immediate news that could affect Finland too was how King Dietwin 'the Holy' of Bavaria has recently become the King of Italy and Burgundy. So now he was the King of Bavaria, Lotharingia, Sardinia and Corsica, Italy and Burgundy. In addition he is also the heir to the Kingdom of East Francia. "By gods, how many Kingdoms can one man have?" Ahma wondered to himself when Urho shared the news with him. In addition to this it also seems that the Southern Empire, or Eastern Rome as some apparently call it, or even the Greek Empire, has finally ended all their civil wars and driven out whatever invaders there were at the moment and it seems that they are finally getting a chance to recuperate. And speaking of Empires, it seems that King Carloman of West Francia has reunited the Empire of his ancestor, Pepin of Francia. Though many expect that this re-emergent Empire will be held in check by their southern neighbor, Baetica. It seems King Toke 'the Great' has not only conquered most of what is Hispania, but most of Maghreb and Africa. The King himself is getting old though and rumors of his ailing health reached even the North via the merchants. And unfortunately for Baetica, none of his sons are considered to be even nearly as competent as their father.

When Ahma and Urho were returning to the fort marshal Kuuti asked for a moment of Ahma's time. Apparently he had some interesting news to share.
"My King, I have heard some credible rumors about an artifact somewhere in the Kingdom. But I wish to ask your permission to take some soldiers to investigate."
"And just how credible are these rumors? Since rumors are just that, aren't they? Rumors."
"My King, I would not bring this matter to you if I hadn't already checked their credibility myself."
Ahma pondered for a moment. "Very well, you may take some soldiers with you to investigate." Ahma then took the pouch he had with him and tossed it to Kuuti, who caught it. "Take that as well. We didn't find much anything interesting in the market. Might be more useful for your search."
"Thank you for your generosity, my King." Kuuti bowed then left towards the training grounds.
After the two of them had entered the fort and were in the great hall Urho approached Ahma.
"My King, if I may ask-"
"Ask away," Ahma responded before Urho was even finished.
Urho cleared his throat. "Uhm, yes, like I was going to ask, why did you decide to support Kuuti's search? I mean, it is nothing but rumors that he is going by, regardless how credible the sources of these rumors might be."
Ahma sat on his throne and calmly answered "Because I felt like it."
"Because... you felt like it?"
"Yes. As you may know, I have accomplished a lot in my life. I even dare say that I have accomplished so much that even when all who knew me are long, long gone, I will still be remembered. But I still wish to make sure I will be remembered for all the times to come. This might be a chance in that. A final legacy, so to speak. And if the search turns out to be fruitless? Well, I guess no one will remember that part of my legacy then. And even if they do, they'll just call it the wishful thinking of an old man gone senile."
Chancellor Urho seemed to have understood what Ahma was talking about and took his leave. After that Ahma let out a weary sigh. "Though I do wonder. Why do I still try to achieve more despite all that I already have? Am I really just such a restless soul? I have already outdone my father, there is no need to leave nothing for the future generations to achieve, now is there?" he thought to himself. He had drifted into sleep maybe an hour ago on his throne when he wakes up with a startle as his sons Haapa an Urho came through the doors to the great hall. They both had come to tell their father that both of their wives had gone into labor not long ago.

First child to be born was to Haapa and Mielikki. It was a son whom they named Väinö. The labor was a lot tougher for Tuija however. It took her almost two days, as it turned out she was carrying twins. Eventually they were both born. A son, Into, and a daughter, Ilta. All three babies were in good health, and mothers too, though one much more exhausted than the other.

Half a year later when winter had already set in, Ahma receives grave news from his chancellor, Chief Urho.
"My King, are you here!?"
"For gods' sake Urho, no need to shout, I am here. What do you wa-" Ahma stopped mid sentence when he saw the horror in his chancellors face.
"My goodness, what is wrong for you to be so distraught?"
"Your spymaster, Suoma, she... She's... She is dead. Killed by some thugs who left her in the streets."
"WHAT!?"
"She had said she had some leads to a plot just a couple days ago but now she's..."
"Dead. Just like that." Ahma slumped in his chair. "For goodness sake, what did she get herself into?"
Ahma shook his head. He then looked back up to his chancellor. "Bring me my son Haapa. I wish to speak to him, privately."
"As you say My King." Urho looked a little puzzled as to why the King would want to speak to one of his sons now of all times but he did as he was told and soon brought Haapa with him to Ahma's study.
"Thank you Urho. Now, leave us."
"As you say" he nodded and left.
"So what do you want father? Urho said you wanted him to bring me here."
"Did the chancellor tell you what he had told me before I told him to go get you?"
Haapa looked a little nervous. "Yes, he said that Suoma was dead. But how does this have anything to do with me?"
"Because you, my son, shall take her place as my spymaster. As the Kings hand in the shadows."
"What? Me?"
"Yes, you. You know that your mother worked that position until her death, and I know she taught you many of the secrets of the trade. As far as I know, you're the most capable to act the role right now. And your first order of business is to find out who did this to Suoma."
"Excuse me father, but may I say that, according to Urho, Suoma was just killed in cold blood by some thugs and left lying dead on some street. And now you want me to go find out who did that and risk the same fate?!"
"Calm down, Haapa. You clearly know the risks your mother and Suoma took with the job, but remember, you are the son of the King!" Ahma stood up from his chair, still imposing despite his age. "You know as well as anyone that if anyone dares to lay their hands on you, my wrath awaits them."
Haapa let out a weary sigh and accepted the position offered, though still somewhat reluctantly. After Haapa left, Susi soon came to meet his father to inform that his wife, Vezhav, is pregnant again.
The summer of that year, their daughter Auni was born.

The following winter Ahma was returning home from the wedding of his daughter, Tuuli, and his new son-in-law, Chief Seppo of Viena. Or, High Chief Seppo of Karelia as he is now known, as per the agreement they had made. But once he gets back inside his fort, he notices that something is wrong. It was quieter, and emptier than usual. Ahma decides to go to his study, and as he enters he notices that Hintsa is waiting for him there, in silence.
"My good steward, what is going on here? I didn't see or hear anyone on my way here from the hall. Has something happened?"
Hintsa cleared his throat and spoke up, but felt like there was still something stuck in there, making speaking difficult.
"My King, something tragic has indeed occurred. You see.." He tried to clear his throat again.
"This is peculiar" Ahma thought. "Hintsa doesn't usually have trouble speaking. The only times that come to mind are when he told me about the death of my son Toivo or that of Tai-" Ahma's thoughts cut off when the realization hit.
"Who is it Hintsa!?" he demanded.
Hintsa was startled by Ahma's sudden outburst, but collected himself quick enough to answer. "It's your son, Haapa. He had told me that he had found leads as to the plotters that killed Suoma while you were away, but we found him dead last night. Stabbed at a local tavern. Apparently no one saw a thing, but his wife Mielikki has started an investigation of her own, despite the Tietäjä's objections to it, seeing as how she is pregnant."
Ahma collapsed onto his chair. Another spymaster, dead? This time his son! He had promised Haapa he would be safe, that no one would dare put their hands on him. But now he was dead. Ahma asked Hintsa to leave the room and let him be. He would need to think. And grieve.

Ahma had been spending the spring trying to find suitable husbands to his many granddaughters. To secure potential alliances and goodwill from his neighbors, but to also distract himself. Mielikki had proven to be quite the adept investigator, seeing as how she has uncovered some leads regarding Haapa's murder. She has become sort of an unofficial successor to Haapa's spymaster position. Ahma did try to officially offer it to her but she said she would only do it until she found her husband's killer. Ahma left it at that. She was definitely skilled in all this cloak and dagger stuff, but he could see she was too kind to be a master in it.
Ahma's own search for suitors hasn't been fruitless either. So far he has found husbands for three of his granddaughters. High Chief Viryas of Merya married Rauha, third daughter of Susi. High Chief Syudbya of Mezen was married to Käpy, second daughter of Susi. And Ilona, first daughter of Kettu, was married to Chief Vootele of Rovaniemi. During this time Ahma's youngest child, Hellä, came to him to tell him that she was ready to marry again after her husband's untimely death. Soon afterwards Ahma found her a fitting husband: High Chief Kichay of Mari.

The following summer saw the birth of Haapa's and Mielikki's last child. A girl, who was named Titti. But the summer wasn't just all joyous news. Hellä returned home once again after her husband's untimely death after High Chief Kichay was poisoned during a feast. Heartbroken, she vowed to never marry again.

Winter came and went, and spring saw the birth of Ahma's first great-grandchild. A girl was born to Marja and Olev, and she was named Inkeri. And early summer saw the birth of a son to Kettu and Kontäw, named Onni.

That summer Ahma also hears talks of there being a new major settlement having been founded elsewhere in Pohjanmaa. Despite the growth of the town, some prefer the quieter lifestyle and have gone and established their own little village further upstream of the nearby river. It was originally a clearing made by the loggers that the settlers decided to use to make their farms and houses. Ahma was still deep in thought about how the town has grown and changed since his younger days when marshal Kuuti came to him with a request.
"My King, may I have a moment of your time?"
"Sure, I have nothing else on my hands right now."
"Thank you. As you may remember, you had sent me on a hunt for the rumored artifact a few years back."
"Yes I do remember. I have not gone senile."
Ahma was getting excited whether Kuuti had found the artifact or not.
"Yes, right. As I was about to say, we have not yet found this artifact, but we have found many people with stories about various treasures and legends of our people. I would like to request for some of your personal scribes to accompany us in writing down these stories. It would help our search immensely if we didn't have to try to memorize every single individual story. And we would also get the details correctly. Once we spent nearly a fortnight searching in the wrong direction when one of our men remembered the story to mention sunrise instead of sundown."
Ahma laughed a bit to the last part. "You do have a point there. It would speed up your search greatly if you could get the stories in written form with all their details. Very well, you may take some of my scribes with you. I haven't had as much use for them as I once did."
With that, marshal Kuuti took his leave and headed to where the scribes were working currently.
"Besides, even if his search ends up fruitless, now there will be at least something out of it. Our old stories and legends, written down for future generations to remember," he thought as he leaned back on his chair with a content smile on his face. "My final legacy."

That winter Olev, husband of granddaughter Marja, died from a fever. And news also reached Ahma from the north in Finnmárku. His daughter, Pilvi, had died of cancer. Ahma would've wished to attend the funeral, but he wasn't feeling well himself either. At least the news that Susi and Vezhav were having another child cheered him up a bit. What cheered him even more was when he was born, Susi came to ask if it would be alright to name their newborn son Jalo. Ahma gladly let his grandson be named after his own father.

The next year passed rather uneventfully. Well, however uneventful living with three or four generations in a what is basically a wooden castle is. Ahma had become somewhat solemn lately. Being a widow and losing two of your children within a few years of each other can do that. But Ahma still tried to spend time with his family. But he wasn't nearly as good at trying to mend the relationship between Susi and Kettu as Haapa had been. He had really been a good son and brother. He had really helped to keep the family together. Well, as together as was possible. But today that was not on Ahma's mind. Not anymore at least. He had returned from the Hiisi after contemplating his situation again, to seeing his grandson Jalo take his first steps at eleven months old. That night, Ahma would go to sleep with a smile on his face. And on the following morning his son Susi would find him still laying on his bed with the same, content, smile.

King Ahma 'the Great Bear' died in his sleep on September 24th 944, aged 74.

A beautiful piece on the twilight years of a great man.

I hope his death won't do anything to slow down the rooting out of the cowardly murderers who struck at the royal family and the unmasking of the plot's leaders.

He had a very full life.

But to lose his don like that must have been a bitter blow

Chapter 36

Civil War and Plotters

Susi came storming in to the fort. He was furious. They had just taken their father in the burial mound alongside Taimi and Branislava and Susi brought up the matter of inheritance regarding the Kingdom and their fathers lands. At that point it was clear that Susi was chosen to become the next King and get the lands of Pohjanmaa alongside it. Kettu would get the lands of Karjaa and become the High Chief of Häme, Urho gets the lands of Laatokka and finally the lands of Uusimaa were given to Reko, son of late Haapa, though he would be under the High Chiefdom of Häme.

But what infuriated Susi the most was how both of his brothers refused to accept him as their King and declared themselves independent from his rule. Or declaring themselves the rightful King was perhaps more like what it would seem. Either way, war was inevitable. And Susi decided that it would be better to strike first before his brothers manage to grow more powerful or gain allies. And he also wanted to show that Finnish hegemony over the North didn't die with his father, as many of the tributaries seemed to think.

The first battle of the war was short. Susi had caught a Tavastian army of some 300 soldiers on their way to the main army. His 6000 men did short work of them, but during the charge Susi got reckless and was injured by a stray arrow. If he hadn't seen it coming from the corner of his eye, he could've lost a lot more than just the eye.
Soon after Susi's army finally reached Kettu's. The two armies met in South-Western Finland. Susi still had his 6000 men, while Kettu had mustered only some 3600. Kettu and his Tavastians couldn't do much about the numerical advantage that Susi had and were crushed. Tavastians lost over 1000 men, whilst Susi lost less than 300. Kettu himself however, managed to evade capture, thus prolonging the war. Susi then turned his army towards Karjaa, Kettu's seat of power in Häme. When spring arrived Karjaa finally surrendered. Among the captured was Susi's sister-in-law, Kontäw. She is taken prisoner, but still treated well. She is family, after all.
Come fall, Kettu has still refused to surrender, even after he lost most of his army and his fort. News of a different kind reach Susi however. His brother, Chief Urho of Laatokka has died from his wounds that he had received when out raiding in Ilmenia. His son Ahvo has succeeded him as Chief of Laatokka. Then more troubling news arrived. With a letter, King Nabtiko of Nenetsia declares that he stops paying tribute to King Susi, on the grounds that he considers King Susi to be too weak to be able to protect Nenetsia, seeing as how other tributaries also left and how Finland was embroiled in what was essentially a civil war. Susi crumbles the letter in anger and throws in the campfire as he stormed off, cursing his brothers under his breath.

As the cold, hard winter of the North is setting in and with nowhere to find shelter from it, Kettu finally surrenders. The condition for the peace was that Kettu relinquish his title of High Chief to Susi, which he reluctantly agreed to. After the peace was made Susi sent an offer of vassalization to his nephew, Chief Ahvo. Knowing an unwinnable war to be inevitable if he refused, Ahvo agreed to become a vassal of Susi. Thus, peace returned to the Kingdom, but peace was not what Susi received.
After the battle against the Tavastians where Susi lost his eye, he has been plagued by nightmares. Of not seeing the arrow and dying, or losing something else alongside his eye like an arm, a leg, the other eye, his head. Even nightmares where his family is on the battlefield for some reason. And dying, or worse. Sometimes he wakes in a cold sweat and panting, having difficulty falling asleep again. Sometimes, though more rarely, he wakes up screaming. On one occasion even one of his servants came to check up on him when he heard the scream, asking if he was having a nightmare after seeing he was not in any actual danger. Susi vehemently denied having nightmares, chastising the servant for disturbing his sleep. But in his mind Susi had already made the decision: He would never go out to the battlefield again. He didn't wish to fuel his nightmares even more.

Susi also later decides to give the title of High Chief of Häme to his nephew Reko, son of Haapa. He had become the Chief of Uusimaa after the death Ahma. Susi thought his nephew would be easier to control and keep on his side than his brother Kettu would ever be. And he himself wasn't all that keen on controlling Häme directly.

Susi was celebrating the wedding between his steward, and illegitimate nephew, Kolli, and Sisko, the daughter of his father's former spymaster Suoma. During the celebrations his chancellor brings interesting news. High Chief Áilu of Kola has failed in his conquest of Hålogaland and was even imprisoned at the moment. This was a moment he had waited for. He would bring the Sami to his north back to the fold. But not as tributaries, but actual vassals. This was easier said than done though, given that the Sami lived semi-nomadic lives and rarely, if ever, had permanent settlements. Marshall Kuuti would be leading the army on this subjugation of the Sami.

Later the same year Susi had just received news that most of the lands of Kola had been occupied by Kuuti's army when a foreign messenger arrived in Pohjanmaa. And he brought with him an intriguing proposal. King Bragi of Noregr who had just come of age last summer was proposing that he and Susi's daughter Kielo be betrothed. She would come of age next fall. Susi pondered his answer for a while but ultimately agreed to the proposal. Later the same night Kolli asked him why he agreed.
"The Norse have been our enemies for generations, how could you just agree to something like that?"
"Do you think I made the decision lightly? Yes, they've been our enemies on many an occasion. Damn, I myself have lead an army against them when they tried to conquer Nenetsia. Thirty years after my father had driven them out from there. So yes, I am aware of our history. But Nenetsia is no longer an ally so I don't have to care what King Nabtiko would think, and once this war with the Sami is over and done with, we will share a border with Noregr. A very distant border. And this marriage would help secure that border and our new northern holdings. That is why I agreed to this."
"But what about your daughter? Doesn't she get a say in this? She doesn't even speak their language."
"What about her? She knew that one day she might have to get married to some man she has never even seen before. Or one she might never love. But such is the fate of Kings and their families. Do you think I had any say in my marriage with Vezhav? Or that she did? We didn't, but we learned to love one another in time. You might have been allowed to marry for love despite being my nephew, but that is because you are a bastard. You might have my brother's blood in you but that does not make you royalty, and thus not bound to the same duties and responsibilities."
After that Kolli stomped off, seeming somewhat angry when he left.

A few months later, just before spring, High Chief Áilu surrenders, becoming a vassal of Susi. Though by next summer Áilu was dead due to Great Pox, making his eldest son, Mohkku, the new High Chief at the age of eight. The following fall as Susi was seeing off his daughter Kielo who was leaving for Noregr, he heard some interesting news from a passing merchant in the port. Apparently his nephew, Deryab, has become the Chief of Pereyaslavl Zalessky after his half-brother Malyaka died of a fever caused by an infected wound. "A potential ally gaining more power is always a good thing," he thought to himself as he was heading back to the fort.

Few years had passed rather uneventfully. Only major news was that High Chief Seppo of Karelia had declared war over a border dispute in Inkeri against King Valto ´the Wise´ of Ilmenia. That is, until Susi received news that his spymaster Pihla, had been killed, and the killer caught soon after. It didn't take long for him to talk, and what he said was shocking. He admitted not only to having killed Pihla, but also Haapa some ten years ago. Both under the orders of High Chief Seppo of Karelia. This enraged Susi and he immediately sent his guards to Karelia with the orders of arresting High Chief Seppo and bringing him in chains to him.

Little disclaimer here, I had completely somehow missed that Haapa's killer was known when he died. Whoops...
So when Pihla was killed and I checked who else Seppo had had killed I was surprised to see Haapa in the list. But I decided to roll with it, makes for a more interesting story, right?

Ahh, the civil wars gavelkind inevitably causes. What fun.

And yes, it does make things more interesting.

Ahh, the civil wars gavelkind inevitably causes. What fun.

And yes, it does make things more interesting.

Indeed, I guess that's why everyone (including me) always tries to rush to put primogeniture or elective as the succession law. With Ahma I got lucky that he was the only son but no such luck with Susi, unfortunately. Oh well, when life gives you lemons...

Chapter 37

Traitors and the Mill of Fortune

Susi was gripping his wooden throne so tightly he thought he heard it crack. Or maybe it was one of his fingers. Either way, the tight grip was necessary to keep himself from just grabbing the chained man in front of him by the throat.
His guards had been successful in arresting High Chief Seppo. Seeing as how most of his troops were fighting in Ilmenia, it would not have ended well if Seppo had not decided to come quietly.
Susi took a deep breath, then another, and stood up when he was sure he wouldn't kill the young man the moment he stood up from his chair. He took a step towards Seppo and asked:
"Do you have anything to say for yourself? Anything at all?!" He glared daggers at the man, who just glared him back for a moment, then looked down at the floor.
"Apparently not." Susi sighed and continued. "I really hoped you would've said something. Because I for one can't understand one bit why you would act like this. You killed my spymaster Pihla because she uncovered your little plot to try to claim my Kingdom as yours. You tried to kill her before she told anyone, but you were too late. She had told someone who then came to me. And apparently my brother had caught wind of the same plot too all those years ago. And you had him killed as well!"
Susi shook his head before continuing.
"After all my father did for you, that is how you repaid him? By killing his son? My brother? Your father-in-law? My father didn't have to give you Karelia, he could've kept those lands as his and no one could've done anything about it. But out of kindness towards your family, he gave those lands to you, seeing how your grandfather, my uncle, died before his time and only left your mother and aunt under my parent's care."
Seppo still said nothing, just kept his head low, watching the shackles around his wrist. Susi let out a loud, disdainful "humph" and returned to his chair. Once he was seated, he once again continued.
"I have every reason to end your life here today, but I won't. I will keep you in my dungeons for the rest of your miserable life so that hopefully you will one day realize your mistakes and come to regret them. And perhaps, ask for forgiveness. Besides, I have hope that your children will grow to be better than you. Especially without you around them."
Susi then waved a hand and the two guards who had stood behind Seppo grabbed him by the arms and lifted him on his feet.
"One last thing before you're taken away." Susi took another deep breath before asking his final question.
"Out of curiosity, who was your first victim? Haapa, or your mother Suoma?"
Seppo's eyes widened with rage and the guards were having trouble keeping a hold of him as he began to trash around.
"How dare you say that!? I loved my mother, I never would've hurt her! If I knew who did I would've killed them personally already! How dare you say I did that? I'll kill you! I bet it was actually you wasn't it!? I'll kill you myself! You hear me! I'll-"
The sound of Seppo's shouting grew weaker the further away he was dragged towards the dungeons. Everyone who was attending that little trial was in shock from what they had witnessed in the great hall of the fort. "Bah, good riddance" Susi gruffed as he left the hall for his own chambers.

A year after Seppo's trial Susi receives new that his son-in-law High Chief Viryas of Merya has become the King of Greater Ilmenia after having won the war against King Valto. His reign didn't last long however, since he was slain on the battlefield against High Chief Shindyay of Mochkava, leaving his 14 year old little brother Nishkepaz as the King. Around the same time news reach Finland that High Chief Yevdokia of Galich has converted to the catholic faith with the patronage of King Dietwin of Bavaria. Who had become the King of East Francia not too long ago, to add to his long list of Kingships.

Later that same year Susi's nephew, Chief Deryab of Pereyaslavl Zalessky declared a war on High Chief Shindyay of Mochkava. Apparently he decided to use the opportunity to press his claim after Shindyay lost his war against the Ilmenians.

A couple years later Susi is discussing matters happening around the known world. Susi wasn't feeling quite well though, as his stomach was hurting. He is squirming in his chair as his chancellor, Chief Pyry, is recounting how Deryab was successful in his war and is now the High Chief of Mochkava and how King Dietwin 'the Holy' of Bavaria had died, fragmenting his realm to the three Kingdoms of East Francia, Bavaria and Italy. Of course each of those new Kings also held another Kingdom from the old realm. As Chief Pyry was finishing his monologue, Susi stood up from his chair, but didn't get to take more than a couple steps before he bent over and began vomiting. He was quickly escorted to his chambers and Tietäjä Taisto soon came to see him. Taisto assured him that it was nothing serious, and that some walks in fresh air would help. Susi didn't quite feel it helping, seeing how he began to vomit again as soon as he returned from his little walk outside. Soon afterwards the reason for his illness was discovered too. Some of the food he had eaten earlier that day seems to have been spoiled and he more than likely was suffering from food poisoning. Susi didn't care much for the news, as he could barely walk back to his chambers to rest.
The following morning Susi first receives news from his chancellor that his son-in-law, King Bragi of Noregr has been killed on the battlefield and that King Halfdan II now rulers Noregr. Then Tietäjä Taisto arrives with a goat in tow. He explains that the flatulence of the goat along with his magic would help cure his food poisoning. In a weird way, it might have worked. The smell was so horrible that Susi vomited several times that morning alone, possibly also vomiting out all the food that had caused his illness since he felt better that afternoon already.

The following summer Susi was informed by a messenger that he was now the High Chief of Kola, as High Chief Mohkku had died on the battlefield in Hålogaland, as he was trying to conquer those lands like his predecessor did before Susi vassalized him. But with the messenger arrived a horse drawn cart, with the contents of the cart covered. The messenger said that it might be best if the cargo is taken to the fort before removing the covers. And so Susi had the cart pulled behind the fort, in front of the entrance to the basement. There he removed the blanket covering the cart. The cargo looked like a mill. The messenger claimed it was the famed Mill of Fortune, Sampo, and that it had been passed in the family for generations from High Chief to High Chief. And now that Susi was the High Chief, he was also its new owner. Susi was skeptical about the mill actually being THE Sampo of legends, but it certainly looked the same as the one in the legends.
"And how do you know about this? How can I trust your word?"
"Oh, right, I haven't introduced myself properly yet, have I? I am Lávrrohas, brother of Mohkku. But alas, my mother was neither the wife or concubine of our father's, so I was not considered my brothers heir."
Susi pondered for a moment.
"And you knew about this legendary item in your brother's possession and after his death you bring it to me? You could've easily just taken it for yourself and enjoyed the riches it bestows."
"Yes, I could've, but for how long? Sooner or later someone would've gotten suspicious of me travelling around on a horse cart with seemingly endless wealth and I would've quite likely lost my head to its stealer to keep its existence a secret."
Susi stepped next Lávrrohas and leaned in a little closer.
"You still could."
Lávrrohas let out an audible gulp as Susi leaned back.
"But you won't. You have already shown great loyalty in bringing it to me. And what kind of King would I be if I killed off those who show loyalty."

Few weeks later Susi split the lands of Kola in two by making Chief Gáktu of Finnmark the High Chief of Finnmark. As for the High Chiefdom of Kola, Susi gave those lands to Lávrrohas as a reward of sorts for his loyalty. Around the same time Vezhav, Susi's wife, died of the flu.

The next year Susi has been hard at work at making the tribes of Finland more organized. As his work seem to start bear fruit, he also decides to focus more on improving trade and taxation in Finland. Soon the funds he has gained thanks to his efforts are needed when his marshal, Kuuti, arrives telling Susi that he has found an interesting man with very interesting ideas. But that there's a problem regarding funding these ideas. After discussing the matter long into the night Susi finally agrees on granting the funding, but that it would be the marshal's head on the block if this engineer he had met would turn out to be untrustworthy and runs away with the money. Kuuti replied that such a thing won't happen.

Always fun to find one of your major vassals is a mass murderer.

This poll has ended.

Hello everyone, the time has come.

For a poll. My game is approaching the point where I can reform the Suomenusko faith, even though I am not quite there yet in the written part. I've noticed that my writing is much easier when I am plenty ahead in the game from where I am in writing, so in order to advance the game further I have decided to hold the poll that I mentioned in my opening post for the AAR. Now the poll is for the Nature of the religion and for the other Doctrine. Leadership and one Doctrine I have decided to choose myself.

I am picking 'Survivors of Ukko' as the other Doctrine because it is a useful doctrine and it also fits the AAR in my opinion. As to the Leadership, I've decided to choose Autocephalous leadership. As to why, well, to me it seems like the most natural evolution of how things were back then. Each community had their Tietäjä that took care of the needs of their community and now the various realms would form their own communities with the old communities as sort of sub-communities. Besides, there hasn't been any particularly strong or noteworthy religious leaders during the game which would prompt thoughts of changing the communal ways of leadership.

And when it comes to the options for the Nature and the remaining Doctrine, I've tried choosing ones that I think best fit the current narrative and are also the most like what the old pagan beliefs of the Finno-Ugric peoples were like. Or the Finnish paganism at least, since I know the most about that.

Nature options

1. Unyielding
We might not be able to spread our beliefs beyond the North or even our own realms, but we might not have to if we make it so that other beliefs have difficulty taking root in our lands.

2. Proselytizing
To preserve our way of life we must do what the Southerners are doing themselves: spread our beliefs to foreign lands and have them adopt our faiths and maybe even our way of life.

3.Cosmopolitan
Some of our more radical wise men say that all the people of the North worship the same gods but with different names and ways. They say we should embrace these differences and learn from one another to truly stand united.

Doctrine options

A. Meritocracy
Gods value ones' skills and virtues above their birth. And if the gods truly are wiser than us, shouldn't we follow their example and have the most skilled lead us?

B. Syncretism
Some of our wisest claim that we should learn about the gods and beliefs of those around us to further our own knowledge and to better know one another.

C. Astrology
There are many beliefs about the Northern Lights. Children conceived during Northern Light are blessed or that the way to Tuonela is open and the dead either leave for Tuonela or are able to come back for as long as the Lights last to help and guide the living. Some have even begun to affiliate some of the gods with various constellations in the night sky.

D. Animistic
The nature around us is sacred, for the gods and spirits make their home in many of the unusual places of nature, such as rock formations, weirdly shaped trees or even the smallest of springs.

E. Ancestor Worship
We regularly ask for advice and guidance from our ancestors so wouldn't it be natural to make the rites to reach our ancestor common knowledge and also to elevate the greatest among them to a special status?

And the rules for the poll are as follows:
Everyone gets one vote for BOTH Nature and Doctrine. Example: " 1 & B " or " 3E " etc.
Votes are counted for each individual option, NOT for any combination. (I'm not counting how many 1B's or 3E's there are but how many 1's and 3's and B's and E's and so on.)
Poll will end September 20th 21:00 / 9pm EEST (This map should help you see what time it currently is in Finland.)
In case of a tie, RNG will act as a tie breaker in the form of a coin toss or roll of a die, depending on how many options are tied.
You may change your vote if you so wish, for as long as the poll is open. If you do, please do so by editing your already existing answer and mentioning that you have changed your answer.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Always fun to find one of your major vassals is a mass murderer.
Yup, but the matter about the killer of Suoma is still a mystery since her killer wasn't known. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it really was Seppo, seeing how happily he had killed two other spymasters of mine...

When it comes to Nature I really want an anti-vote. By that I really find it hard to choose between 1 and 3 - but I don't think 2 would really fit the story so far described. Got to think about that one.

For Doctrine ... again from an rp perspective ... perhaps C? I think, given teh nothern lights especially, seeking answers in teh heavens makes sense. Though tbh most of them make sense. Syncretism maybe less so, ancestor worship more so, animstic definitely.

Edit: As you can see I am being very decisive :)

That's one way to explain how the goat's flatulences cured Susi :p. Between that, getting hold of the Sampo and passing judgment on Seppo, things have been very good.

As for the poll, I'll pick Unyielding and Meritocracy. Looking back at the origins, that seems to fit best.