• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter VII: Five More Years

After the Five Years War ended in 1572, the Holy Roman Empire enjoyed twenty-nine years of relative peace. Some historians remark at the briefness of this interim, but it is worth noting that the century-long rise of Bohemia and that kingdom’s adherence to Evangelist doctrine likely set the internal machinations of the confederation on a course for ultimate destruction. The fact that the Empire survived the sixteenth century, and indeed managed to struggle through the seventeenth, says much about the inherent cohesion of the European polity. Few other assemblies of nations have tolerated such tremendous ruptures and imbalances of power without giving up their existence or essential structure. Certainly, throughout these two centuries, successive Bohemian rulers conducted themselves with a certain conservatism, unable to conceive of a Europe without the empire, or a Bohemia outside that union.

With conditions stabilised in the west for the time being, Fridrich III Falcky turned once more east, and upon his old foe, Lithuania. War was declared in June of 1573, just one year after the end of the imperial wars. The impetus for the conflict may well have been the earlier claim of the historic Kievan crown. Since that proclamation, the city of Kiev had taken on a mythic place in the Bohemian imagination. To secure the steppe, but not its old capital, would be a hollow victory. So, the armies were reassembled and sent once more across the frontier. Less than a year later, Kiev and Kharkov were secured. The state was still reeling from the convulsions of the previous decade, and any joy felt amongst the populace was difficult to translate into a state of internal harmony and security. There were still too many unanswered questions within the nebulous infancy of the Reformation.

Fridrich quickly asserted one Evangelical prerogative, when the crown seized the lands of the Catholic Church, principally held in the west, in Inner Bohemia. Rather than keep the lands, he then redistributed them among the barons, firming the compact between lord and noble which had already formed one of the central features of early modern Bohemia.

dissolution1mr6.jpg

In February 1576, the first sign of a new generation eager to rule in Praha made itself heard. Jan Liberec, the old man of the First and Second Regency, the hero of the Polish wars, and the longest-serving minister of court, officially handed over his duties to his grandson, Vladislav. The aging minister’s son would have taken over, but he was already too old himself, and it was decided to give the land, and the court, some much needed stability. The young man proved an able Minister for War, but also an able diplomat, and urged Praha to begin the sort of estate gifts which had in decades past led to the union of the Silesian and Bohemian crowns. Magnanimous as the policy may have been, Fridrich was neither a man of tact nor ambassadorial wisdom, and the Polish crown held firm in its calls for its own continued independence.

Throughout the decade, the Anabaptists had sought some sense of resolution, to find a niche within the Reformation. But the young Evangelical church was already entrenching itself against future threats, and the more extreme tenets of Anabaptism could find no refuge in the doctrines of Waterford. Fridrich, eager to show himself a tolerant monarch in the vein of his predecessors, established a haven for them in Plock (another based on the same model would be established in Grodno twenty years later).

anabaptist1im0.jpg

A brief war that winter established the much anticipated vassalage of Lithuania, with Bohemia claiming Orel in the process. That same year, an old dream of Bohemian princes came true, and a navy was inaugurated in the Baltic, putting its first ships to sea in the spring of 1580 (Shakespeare would allude to Bohemia’s new-found grandeur a few decades later in ‘The Winter’s Tale’, where the infant Perdita is abandoned on ‘the Bohemian shore’).

Ordering the house of state continued apace, with a series of customs houses created to better control the intake of border tax revenue. Immediate yields were small, but over many decades, the customs houses would further reinforce Pardubice’s unity of peoples throughout Greater Bohemia. It was a softer approach to tax governance than the constabulary, which was proving unpopular on the eastern fringes.

Fridrich died in November 1586, having taken Bohemia on a course into new and uncharted waters. He had succeeded in both maintaining a degree of old-fashioned Bohemian tolerance, while establishing his nation as the world’s pre-eminent Protestant state.

His son, Ludvik I, would endure a reign which was tragically as eventful as that of his father, and would see the Holy Roman Empire once more cast to the brink of destruction. And like his father, Ludvik would see Bohemia emerge triumphant, more in control than ever before of the destiny of both Central and Eastern Europe.

Fridrich had started a war against the Order of Teutonic Knights shortly before his death, hoping to claim additional Baltic coastline. Ludvik’s first task was the relatively simple execution of that war. Livland, Memel and Estland were all claimed, a peace treaty which created more burden than opportunity for the navy, as none of the newly acquired territories adjoined any Bohemian domains.

peaceteutonsyp6.jpg

Ludvik endured a storm of condemnation from his council, and turned like all Lords of Bohemia east, always east. For Ludvik, uniquely, this meant facing an Islamic kingdom, Kazan, or possibly Persia. Persia was having enormous difficulty with an insurrection, and the king opted for the more stable of two evils. Leos Zatec was brought in as deputy Minister for War under Liberec. War was declared against Kazan, as well as her allies in Sibir and the Crimea. In eighteen short months, the Protestant troops marched deep into the Asian heartland. Finally, peace was made, due as much as anything to the incomprehensibility of the expanse. Ludvik himself led an army east to the known edge of the Asian interior, where still an infinite plain stretched out to the horizon. In the end, a peace was made which granted Bohemia Tver, Tula, Kholm, Valdimir, Tambow and Ryazan, a safe conquest, well within the geographic limits of the European imagination.

Ludvik argued for further campaigns in a few years time to exploit the gains, but ministers hedged, confronted as it were by their own ignorance. It was agreed instead that the king would consolidate earlier gains made in the north, bringing both Muscowy and Novgorod into submission. Ludvik established a standing army of fifty-three thousand, the largest known in Europe since antiquity.

When a few years later, the Swedish king proclaimed his land saved in the name of Evangelism, the plans north took on new significance, and new urgency. Meanwhile to the west, imperial electors began to feel the claustrophobic encroachment of Reformed ideas, with England to the west, Sweden to the north, and Bohemia to the east. France was starting to look like an unlikely ally in the struggle for faith.

The declining stability of the Russian kingdoms was to first create an environment seemingly ideally suited to conquest, and second, would lead to an international crisis culminating in the Second Five Years War.

In February 1600, a meteor was sighted over Moravia. Taken by some as a celebration of the birthplace of Mark the Silent, it was taken by most as a sign of some unknowable impending doom. Former members of the court episcopacy implored Ludvik to rethink his invasion plans. But the young king felt all was in place. He had gone so far as to bring in yet another minister, Marek Pardubice (no relation to his famous long-dead namesake). The new minister’s portfolio was Court Envoy, and he spent much of the rest of his life flitting from one capital to another, trying to smooth the very rough waters of Ludvik’s reign.

With the war in Muscowy carried to a successful completion, the conquest of Novgorod was undertaken with characteristic efficiency. Then came the collapse. The northern, Slavic princes fled their lands. The nobles squabbled for power. The Orthodox hierarchy took to the streets to rally the masses. The Archbishop was killed by a bewildered mob. Ludvik’s original plan had been to establish Novgorod as a protectorate, but the nation was completely destabilised. In July, 1601, peace was made with Muscowy and the Novgorodian lands absorbed. In all, eight provinces joined Greater Bohemia. The map of northeast Europe was blanketed in Bohemian gold.

scum1bm2.jpg

That same month, most of the Holy Roman Empire declared war. Austria and the other allies of Praha stuck by her, while the imperial free cities, along with the small states of the west, joined Brandenburg and Saxony in the invasion. Praha’s armies sped west, scarcely slowing down for much needed reinforcements.

By winter, Marek Pardubice was in the courts of the western imperial states, trying to negotiate a sensible solution to the crisis. Novgorod, after all, had simply required care. It would be ignoble to leave a shattered nation to wither, particularly one bordering Muslim lands to the east. Ludvik had done the only practicable thing under the circumstances, to protect both Christendom and Europe. The argument fell on tired, war-weary ears. No one actually wanted war with Bohemia. She was too powerful to be contained. Some remembered the lesson of earlier emperors, that Bohemia should be directed rather than confronted. A similar pact was agreed that led to the end of the First Five Years War. Again, conditions of peace were negotiated, to which Bohemia would agree following a settlement of current conflicts.

The war dragged on for four and a half more years. Peace was made with belligerents by dint of their micro-alliances. Oldenburg, Cleves and Holland; then Gelre and Crete. Saxony, where most of the fighting took place in the first years of the war, was forced to surrender Dresden and Leipzig, though Dresden was returned as a gesture of goodwill. Brandenburg was the second battlefield, and Polish and Bohemian troops spent two years subduing the Hohenzollerns. The proud nation was made a vassal, and a launching point for the next invasion, into Lubeck and Hamburg. Here, Ludvik met his match. In an epic battle just outside Lubeck, eight Bohemian regiments were annihilated by the combined imperial forces. Each side exhausted, peace was finally made in July 1606.

empire1606cd9.jpg

Two months later, Karl III Theodor of the Palatinate became the new emperor, replacing the Bavarian king, who was without an heir. Luneburg and Salzburg, who had both sat out the Second Five Years War, launched into the War of Bavarian Succession. The empire had received two months of peace for its efforts.

Last edited:
Let the BB wars begin!

Another AAR bites the dust.................................................

I'm switching over to EU1.3 with MM1.6, so I'm incompatible from my Bohemian saves (1.2/1.5).

I have to admit, it's not nearly as painful as when I had to stop my Castillian AAR.

I guess Cat Stevens was right about first cuts...

;)

Depending on the release date for MM4, I may delay my next AAR until it comes out. It would nice to finish one before the game gets yet another update.

Thanks for your reading. If any of you have any requests as to country choice, I'm happy to hear them. I may well ignore them :) , but fire away.

I've been wondering about France or Denmark, as they both seem to underperform in my games. Or maybe an Italian. As you can see, my mind is far from made up. :wacko:

:(

Will you tell us here when you start a new one?

Yes. Absolutely. Sorry about this. It's just that, given the fact that I have beta-tested MM, it seems wrong somehow to continue to use an older version, when I could be finding all new and exciting bugs. ;)

I will post a link here when I start something new.

Sorry to hear about this. It was a good read while it lasted. The way Greater Bohemia dominated europe was impressive, and fun!

Sr. Toledo said:
I would like to see a Brittany AAR one day...

I was wondering about Brittany. I tried them once ages ago, and it was fun until it wasn't. It was like being a flea under a hammer, and one day the hammer decided to fall.

But maybe I'll play a bit and see if I can get past the flea-hammer stage... ;)

isca said:
The Hussites are an event chain. I'm not sure of all the possibilities, as this is my first campaign as Bohemia since they were included. But they do spill over into other provinces, and there are multiple types of events and choices. They aren't a religion (i.e. a separate colour on the religion map), and they don't convert you from Catholicism. I'm not sure if the coders have bigger plans for the Hussites or not. But if you ever make it to Prague, there's a wonderful statue of Jan Hus in the old town square."

I chose to leave the Hussites as flavour for two reasons. The first and simplest was that I was adding flavour events, not fundamental game changes. Second, thinking about it further, I realized that making them a true religion opened up a new tolerance slider in the christian group, and that makes the game too easy since Hussites are only a concern for Bohemia and its neighbours.

pierreluc said:
[...]Second, thinking about it further, I realized that making them a true religion opened up a new tolerance slider in the christian group, and that makes the game too easy since Hussites are only a concern for Bohemia and its neighbours.

So true. Each religion added turns the game easier to the player most of the time as he can juggle with more sliders...

isca said:
As an aside, there was a problem in the implementation of the Reformation in the latest MM. I've only just updated my files, so hopefully we'll get some Evangelicals and Presbyterians running around soon!
Oh, thank goodness. :eek:o I just discovered this AAR today and was feeling impending doom creeping upon me as I remembered the bug in 1.5.

Here's hoping the new Reformation events worked out in your game! Let's read and find out...

pierreluc said:
I chose to leave the Hussites as flavour for two reasons. The first and simplest was that I was adding flavour events, not fundamental game changes. Second, thinking about it further, I realized that making them a true religion opened up a new tolerance slider in the christian group, and that makes the game too easy since Hussites are only a concern for Bohemia and its neighbours.
I've been thinking about this for the last couple days.

I'd be in favor of making the Hussites Protestant, but not enabling the Protestant faith. To make things fair we could give the Hussites a triggered modifier that lowers their revoltrisk if owned by a Protestant country...of which there will be one (1).

However, I'd have to run some tests. I recently added a heresy event which has the potential to convert a province to Protestantism...and in one test, a country actually converted, which should have been impossible. :confused:

Anyways, off topic. I really want to read this AAR!

dharper said:
Anyways, off topic. I really want to read this AAR!

Sorry, David. This is yet another AAR consigned to the scrap heap of version-obsolescence.

This AAR is 1.2/1.5, and I'm determined in my role as beta tester and general troublemaker to keep up with events. So, I'm currently beta-testing MM4 changes, and will start my next AAR with probably EUIII 1.3/MM IV 1.1 (assuming MM4 needs an immediate tweak ;) ). I'm leaning toward Austria at the moment - which of course means I'm leaning to the southeast. I was thinking about the Ottomans, but I'm not sure what changes are yet in store for the Turks, and how many of them will be AI-exclusive.

It also sounds like Muscowy could use some examining... But I do want to try out the new Reformation stuff first-hand. So, it's looking like Austria or France. (France, as the AI France tends to do really poorly in my recent campaigns)

Comments welcome!

:D

Chief Ragusa said:
The last anti-pope Felix X (a.k.a Amadaeus the pleasant of Savoy) stood down in 1449. There were no anti-popes thereafter. I'm rather surprised to see two popes during the game. Why is there an event...?
The antipope events are based on the Pisan Schism (1511-13), where the Synod of Pisa was set to depose Julius II, who of course would never have accepted this. His sudden death in 1513 combined with his successor Leo X's promises to reform the church helped avert a general schism, but it was a very real possibility.

Magna Mundi (and my own mod) are all about plausible events as opposed to strictly historical ones, so I felt confident in including the antipope events. They're supposed to be rare (you shouldn't see them every game) and I'm working now to make them rarer, by giving the emperor and the papal controller limited means to avert a crisis.

From a gamist perspective, the events help to prevent a player from abusing the extra privileges given to the papal states in the mod. ;)

Chief Ragusa said:
...and what, as interestingly, are its triggers?

As I said, the events were based on Julius II...the pope famous for invading half of Italy, backstabbing his allies and melting down statues of Christ to make cannons...the triggers were pretty simple. If the papal states grows too large and/or if its badboy gets too high, a corruption event will trigger which then allows Catholic countries to decide whether they want to sponsor a synod or not. Generally there are years of wrangling back and forth before a schism is possible.

I was really quite surprised to discover that of all the church events I added to the game, this one has gotten more comments than any other except the Protestant Reformation itself. As a result, I've been adding more depth to the events recently - mostly still in testing, so not available yet, sorry - including having the Catholic world divide between the two popes, choosing sides and starting wars, and even the ability to install a pope of your liking in Rome!

I'd like to make the events more affected by church reforms, especially in regards to the Conciliar movement. It's no coincidence that the Pisan Schism was a contemporary of the Fifth Lateran Council - the council that finally killed the dying Conciliarism in the church which had prevented an antipope from emerging. After 5th Lateran, the church had no alternative but to refuse compromise with the bishops. But I'm off-topic now...

Chief Ragusa said:
I suppose it makes sense as an alternative to Lutheranism, Calvinism and the Reformation.
It's not really handled that way in the game, sorry. I intended it to be more of a weakening in the unity of the church that could allow a Reformation to occur sooner, and that would definitely make it safer to "come out" against the pope. There's still only one Catholic religion - but while a schism is in effect, all Catholic countries suffer a penalty. In addition, it has far-reaching effects on dozens of events, preventing the popes from abusing (or even using!) many of their powers and giving strength to opponents of the church.

isca said:
Sorry, David. This is yet another AAR consigned to the scrap heap of version-obsolescence.
Disappointing but understandable. :(
But I do want to try out the new Reformation stuff first-hand. So, it's looking like Austria or France. (France, as the AI France tends to do really poorly in my recent campaigns)
If you're interested in the Reformation, please PM me before you start - I'll send you whatever I have so you can test that. :)
Comments welcome!
My biggest comment: you and I have very different play styles, but I love your AARs. :D

isca said:
This is yet another AAR consigned to the scrap heap of version-obsolescence.
That's a pity, but it was a good run while it lasted, and good to see the Protestants dominating Europe rather than being a minor irrelevance. you had the history-book style down pat as well.

dharper said:
Disappointing but understandable. :(
If you're interested in the Reformation, please PM me before you start - I'll send you whatever I have so you can test that. :)
My biggest comment: you and I have very different play styles, but I love your AARs. :D

Great. I shall definitely get the Reformation stuff from you before starting. Cheers.

As for playing styles, I think my style is different from many Magna Mundi players. Hence my proneness to Framed! and other war-monger killing event chains.

Ah well, I gotta be me....... :D

Thanks, BTW!

Church Councils as a means to reform the Catholic Church are one thing, electing anti-popes requires the support of at least one Cardinal.

If you have a Julius II conquering and having a very high BB, you would have justification for calling a Council.