• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Braedonnal said:
Er, is that Portugal in Kamchatka? :confused:

Good job, btw. Looks like a possible WC should you press the issue. :D

Afraid that's the Mughals up there in Kamchatka. That's what I get for sharing maps with them :( .

:rofl:

You need to press a diploannexation with the Mughals, that'd be pretty tough to take down with all the attrition there. :)

Turkish Expansion, Again

As war preparations were made against the Mughals, an alert diplomat pointed out that we had a RM with them, the fruits of our formerly peaceful relations. The war was put on the back burner for the time. While waiting to strike the Mughals, Sultan Mustafa II died in his padlocked "throne room" and the new resident Ahmed III (4/2/4) was installed. I was busily drafting a proposal to bring much-needed reform to the educational program of Ottoman crown princes, when news reached us that Portugal had barred our merchants from trading in their lands. As Ottoman trade technology was maxed out (level 10) by 1115 (1704), this seemed a horrible waste, and war was declared upon Portugal.

The 7 Years War (1707-14) began with an Ottoman assault and capture of Tangiers, these brothers had not been forgotten. Meanwhile, troops were loaded off Mascate for a truly ambitious project--Sulawesi. Doubtless, the Ottoman assault force which descended on Indonesia stunned the Portuguese guarding the place, for they fled quickly in the face of advancing Turks. The high attrition rates in Sulawesi made the siege a brutal affair and fresh recruits from Africa were needed before the fortress was taken at last. Portugal proved obdurate at the peace table however, and a large Turkish force began assembling in Morocco for an assault on Lisbon when the Portuguese saw sense and surrendered Sulawesi.

Many other nations attacked the Empire during the Portuguese wars, the most serious threat came from the Franco-Austrian alliance, which managed to occupy Moravia, Milan, Tyrol, and Styria within the year's first 3 years as the administration was busily paying out bribes left, right, and sideways to other aggressors. Finally a Turkish counteroffensive was launched in the blood-soaked region that divided Ottoman lands from the holdings of the European barbarians. Our army was easily the world's most advanced by this point so that the French and Austrians slowly gave way as we advanced. Vienna fell once again to Ottoman forces in 1123 (1712) and this fact was sufficient inducement for the Franco-Austrian alliance to settle for a WP.

Also among the declarees in this war were the Mughals, saving us the trouble of DOWing them ourselves at a later date. The Mughals obviously expected a naval war, as they launched their main offensives against Crete and Moron. These offensives were repulsed however, and the Mughals got their wish as Turkish soliders were ferried across the Persian Gulf to attack north India rather than braving the deserts of Baluchistan. Despite the medium-level fortifications in most of the Mughal cities, the war proved considerably easier then expected and war exhaustion revolts back home were easily the msot serious obstacle we faced while our troops moved slowly and methodically across northern India. Despite the revolts of the restless peasantry, the Empire stayed the course and on 4 Shawaal 1126 (13 Oct 1714) Tivardinium surrendered and the Mughal Empire was annexed, now the Portuguese in Tangiers were the only obstacle to the Ottoman Empire's ressurection of a pan-Islamic Caliphate, this obstacle would not be allowed to stand for long....

Yay, zach's back again (hey that rhymed! :D) I feel sorry for the poor Portuguese, they don't stand a chance ;)

The Darkest Hour

I suppose it had to happen someday. After the death of Ahmed III, the new Sultan Mahmud I was warned by an unknown party about the probable consequences of his "coronation." As Mahmud was every bit as idiotic as his predecessors, locking him in the secure throne room had indeed been the plan, but Mahmud escaped and announced his intention to govern on his own. No sooner had the populace gotten word of Mahmud's moronic policies than the Third Civil War was under way. If the Empire had always enjoyed smashing success against its foreign opponets, the Third Civil War was very nearly its undoing. My old incarnation was among the first victims of the violence and I was soon among the Janissaries of Dehli. They had been recruited for a planned future expedition against Mysore, but the rebellion meant we had other business to attend to.

I must shoulder some blame, along with the old Divan, for the disasters of the war. If the Empire had been large during the 1623 Civil War and larger during the 1648 conflict, by the time of the 1730 war the Ottoman Empire was easily the largest state in all recorded history. One result of this giganticism was that there was not a sinlge army guarding the core lands of Anatolia, Greece, Syria, and Egypt, after all these lands were hundreds if not thousands of miles from the Empire's borders. Thus when the rebellions began in these lands they preceded unchecked for years before government troops could arrive.

Persia was also in revolt and it was there that my unit was moved, where we stormed the bastions of the Baluchistan territories of the Empire and brought them back under Imperial control. We were diverted before tackling Isfahan and Awhaz however by the rebels in Mascate, who declared an independent Omani Sultanate in the territory. Rebels in Batn al-Hajar (Nubia) and Amou Daria (Uzbeks) had also declared indpendence. By 1145 (1733) when my units attacked Mascate, the Nubian and Uzbek rebels had been crushed and duly reannexed. The same fate followed for Mascate after the arrival of my units. We then split apart, I joined the force that made the methodical sweep of southwestern Arabia before joining the forces busily reconquering Palestine while the other branch moved through northeastern Arabia to complete the reconquest of Persia and Iraq. Back in the homelands, Smyrna, Antalya, and even Istanbul had fallen to rebel scum. However a large Turkish army, fresh from scattering rebel forces in Macedonia and Wallachia, entered and liberated these home provinces by 1146 (1734). Nearly all of Turkish America was rebel controlled save for Moron, and this island bastion proved the ideal staging ground for the American reconquest, complete by Shabaan 1148 (June 1736).

Northern Itlay and the Tyrol, where gigantic fortresses had been constructed to deter Franco-Austrian aggrerssion, proved to be the last rebel stronglhold, survivng brutal sieges for years (retaking Mantua and its level 6 fortress required 3 years). It was not until the holy month of Ramadan 1151 (April 1739) that the last rebel holdout of Innsbruck would fall, restoring peace after a full decade of Civil War (1730-39). As the dust settled, it was apparent that the Empire was forever changed. Mahmud, though still Sultan, had been safely "enthroned" and new guidlines for the handling of inept Sultans were proclaimed. If the rebellions had been large, their silenicng meant that the government's most hated enemies within the community had been destroyed and that new policies need fear less domestic opposition. Yet for all the positive aspects, the population tended to fixate on the trouble and hardship imposed by the conflict. The Divan, taking its lead from Murad IV, decides that the best way to restore unity to the Empire's lands is by incorporating lands belonging to someone else...

Last edited:
*claps* Masterful handling of the Civil War there, and good luck with your imminent war with some other people. Isn't warmongering fun? :D

Taking India

After the rigors of the Civil War, the Empire required several years to recouperate, nevertheless my divisions in India were put on alert, The ever-wise Sultan had chosen Mysore as his newest target of unbridled aggression. By 1159 (1746) preparations were complete and Mysore received the dreaded Ottoman declaration of war. The assault against the pagans was 3-pronged: a sizable cavalry force was dispatched from Goa to deal with Mysore's large yet hopelessly backward army, while large siege/assault forces were deployed from the former Mughal territories in the north and another, smaller assault/siege force (of which I was a part) marched northwards from Ottoman holdings in the south of India. The fighting had scarcely begun when DOWs began pouring in from every nation in Europe. Fortunately, the Empire's gold was by now all but inexhaustible, and all nations save Spain, Russia, and Portugal were quickly bought off.

Ottoman colonial forces were on the march in Mexico again, crossing Spain's undefended holdings with the most pathetic ease until the Spanish offered up Honduras and were spared the further indigity of a continued Ottoman advance. The Russians were unwilling to be bought off as they had acheived early success in Lugansk, capturing the province. But the Tsar underestimated the Sultan's reserves of manpower, which were now quite immense. Turkish forces quickly liberated Lugansk and marched north, Belgorod and Vorones were quickly stormed and captured, after which the Russians were happy to surrender Belgorod for peace. As for Portugal, it was the Turks who were determined to fight--the Muslims in Tangiers would be free of the infidel once and for all. Taking Tangiers from the small Portuguese garrison was almost shamefully easy, but getting the Portuguese to surrender it was considerably more difficult. After waiting patiently for the Portuguese to do the sensible thing and acknowledge defeat, it was decided that there was no choice but to mount an Ottoman offensive against Tago. The troops were loaded and transported and the siege begun. Tago was well defended (large fortress) but the Portuguese in the garrison were cut off by land and sea by Turkish forces and were ultimatley forced to surrender, after which Portugal had little choice bu to surrender Tangier. The Ottomans had recreated the Muslim Caliphate; all Islamic lands were once again ruled by a single Sultan-Caliph.

Back in India, the campaign against Mysore went precisely as expected, the pagan armies were quickly crushed and the walls of their cities fell almost as soon as they were assaulted. By 1161 (1748) Mysore was no more and mainland India was united under Turkish rule. The few European colonies that clung to the coast came to understand that their continued presence depended entirely on the Sultan's good humor. There was little to do in India from 1161 to 1164 (1751) when the Portuguese finally surrendered, but afterwards a jubilaint spirit reigned throughout the Empire. Was there anyone or anything capable of stopping the House of Osman?

Ok,
1751. Ludicrously ahead in the VP race, territory enormous, techs all maxed, should I:
A) Call it a day
B) Take China, Japan, and Ayutthaya and thereby unite all Asia
C) Reverse the Reconquestia by taking Spain and Portugal
D) Paint the world light green

Last edited:
The world! The world! Conquer all, for the glory of the Empire! :D

Ok guys, I have elected to take the plunge and push for total world conquest. One problem--I can't annex Poland! I declared war on Austria and the BB declarations rolled across Europe, I annexed Helvetia, Baden, Pomerania, the Hanse, Hannover, I own all of Poland's cities and I even went to the trouble of occupying all their tradeposts, and I don't get the annex option! The files have edited so that I am now the only major (Poland's shield is gray and everything) but I still can't annex them! Assuming someone's still reading this, help!

Do they occupy any non-theirs provinces anywhere? And make ABSOLUTELY certain you have all of their colonial possessions that you need--Denmark pissed me off royally when I spent 3 years looking for what they had left when I noticed St. Helena flying a little Danish flag. Needless to say I burned the bothersome thing to the ground ;)

All right, I (sort of) have this down. At first to make myself the only major I simply changed the line "Major=yes" in the country's profile to "Major=no." When that didn't work I deleted the section of majors listed at the very top of the save file, being careful to observe all original spacing except with only Turkey selected. Now the game can't read the file at all and I get a CTD whenever I try to load. People who edit files more than I do (and I try to avoid it if at all possible), am I missing anything?

:confused: :wacko: I've got nothing. I've never successfully done the major -> minor transition thing, although the one time I tried was as a result of my accidentally changing France to a major in my Sibir game.

Hmm... I might have an idea to fix it though... I'll wait to post it, since someone else might have an easier solution.