• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah an excellent premise! I remember only one other AAR back in Vicky 1 did a Legitimist France and it sadly ended quite quickly.

Really enjoying this though one thing I'm finding troubling is how relaxed Europe seems to be about French troops marching everywhere. Metternich is still in office, I'd expect at least some worries. The German States must be fearful regardless of the politics of Paris its still the Great Menace to the West.

Chapter 5 - La révolution et la guerre civile de 1841-1842 (Louis XIX)

When Polignac ordered the emergency telegraph to be directly sent to the temporary residence of the Royalty, Paris had already fallen. The movements of the revolutionaries had been so swift and decisive, that Polignac barely had enough time to flee the city, apparently fleeing the city in disguise. It had started almost instantly after the results of the election were announced to the people of Paris, with infuriated liberals rioting in the streets as a direct reaction. Due to the chaotic atmosphere of the outbreaks, there was no centralized authority that directed the movement, a factor which eased the worry of the government. The lack of swift action eventually prompted the republican writer, Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, to usurp control of the disparate liberal groups, ordering general resistance against the Ultra-Royalists. Within several hours, Paris had become a barricaded city, but the sheer mass of the revolutionary movement prompted the government to flee, rather then fight. By the first day of July, revolutionary forces had stormed the dual palaces of Paris, finding neither King nor Minister, giving them the ability to proceed with their plans. Pierre-Joseph appointed the elderly, Jacques-Charles Dupont de l'Eure to serve as Chairman of the Provisional French Republic, thus resigning his position and fading into the waves of dissent. l'Eure declared the dissolution of both Chambers, allowing a provisional council to serve as the legislative branch as the revolutionaries brutally sought government officials attempting to flee the city. The following day, Royalist forces became the effective rebels of the Republic.

s5rp.jpg
Jacques-Charles Dupont de l'Eure, Chairman of the Provisional French Republic

Nearly one-ninth of the nation was in arms, as thousands flocked to defend their provincial regions in the name of the new establishment. Royalist Armies controlled only a handful of provinces, fighting brutal battles with the local populace to retain control as France slipped through the fingers of the Monarchy. Cries of Revolution were strongest in the North, where few Royalist Armies occupied, whilst in the south, Bourbon generals were struggling to sustain their loose grasp on the country. Lead by unfamiliar commanders, a 15,000 strong Royalist army was effectively destroyed at Montpellier by a Republican Army, disrupting the hopes of the aristocracy to ferment support in the South. Only in Avignon, joint Franco-Papal soldiers were able to secure a base of operations, garrisoning a strong Royalist force to prepare for a counter offensive.

vlfn.jpg

The situation in Southern France, 1841.

The following month and half witnessed brutal fighting all across France, as Royalist Armies rallied around the eccentric Marshall Camille. In the southern front, Louis-Charles Féron, Comte de Auvergne led the garrison of Avignon on a vicious reconquest of south eastern France, liberating Marseilles, Toulon, Diguc, Frejas, Valence, and Grenoble, whilst Camile's force of 30,000 liberated the north of the region. Republican Provinces, acting on behalf of the Provisional Government, passed a wide variety of mobilizations in the south west, bolstering the forces of the 'Jacobins' in the south to nearly 100,000 men whilst Royalist armies stood at a little under half of such a quantity. Camille however, exploited the disparate and unorganized placement of the Revolutionary Forces, allowing a reinforcement army of 30,000 soldiers to push towards the Pyrenees. None of this would have been possible if it had not been for the decisive success of the central front, led by the Armée d'Orléans. In addition, the Republican Army had attempted to subdue a combined Bourbon front at Blois, but instead suffered a magnanimous defeat, forcing the majority of Republican Armies from Trayes to Poitiers to retreat north, towards Paris. The rout provided Royalists with a brief opportunity, attempting a daring move to reconquer Paris despite the estimated 150,000 revolutionaries occupying the northern regions. On August 18th, General Thiery Exelmans liberated the capital with fifty thousand soldiers, declaring the end of the revolutionary Republic. Nearly a weeks later, Thiery defeated the Rebels again, just as General Etiente de Bourbon initiated a campaign through the regions of Alsace and Lorraine.

stg8.jpg

Scenes from the Royalist Wars, Vienna - 1850

As the situation calmed, and Revolutionary strongholds began to crumble away, despite heavy fighting in Wallonia, Louis and Henry returned to France, reigning within the palaces of Orléans. King Louis began a series of publicized speeches in the direct aftermath (or so he believed), proclaiming that France had ushered into a brief, yet brutal state of civil war, for two competing governments had clashed over the mantle of authority. The Monarchist government, during the brief period of reconquest, fervently promoted the ideals of Catholicism, reviving spiritual belief among the peasants. This brief period saw the resurgence of Gothic Architecture across France, as great structures like the Sainte-Marie were renovated and expanded. It is thus imperative in all discussions regarding the French Civil War, to stress the detrimental disaster of the Republicans by failing to secure the peasant population, which defected en masse to the advancing French Armies, occasional bearing the cross of Rome. The city of Lile, for example, was the final Republican stronghold in Wallonia, and reliant on farmers from the south to provide a food supply. When Thiery marched towards the city in the first month of the new years, the food supply was halted, for reasons unknown. As the Republican forces marched out to investigate, they were astonished to find the Royalist Armies occupying the lands of the agrarians, many of whom were being placated with rich sums and promises of eternal life. Several days later, 25,000 malnourished Revolutionaries died at the Battle of Lile.

The newspapers of Paris, the defining fuel that spread the fire of Revolution, were soon under a comical censorship of press. The Bonapartist and Anti-Clerical Newspaper, The Constitutional, began publishing headlines regarding the return of the King, and praising the tactical actions of Royalist officers. To many in Paris, this was a clear insult to the population, "a vengeful smile from their sovereign" as Tsar Nicholas I stated. This statement was not the only motion by foreign powers, especially as rampant republican forces roamed the countryside. Infamously, young Republican rebel, Jean Auguste Berthaut, seized control of Alsace and Lorraine with nearly twenty thousand revolutionaries. The new local government, headed by Berthaut, cracked down on Royalist supporters and regional dissenters. After a slaughter of nearly 300 civilians, the German population rose in rebellion, requesting annexation by the König. Frederick William IV of Prussia, witnessing a opportunity to unite the North Germans, attempted to intervene on behalf the Germanic population. The arrival of General Etiente de Bourbon was the only deterrent to such an operation, putting down both the Republicans and the local Germans before continuing north. The inability of the König to swiftly seize control of the province would have harsh consequences on the Prussian nation.

kymh.jpg

Scenes from the Wars in the Alsace and Lorraine.

The Civil War did not conclude at Lile, despite the sharp turn of events. Instead the war entered into a brutal second phase, once again, finding its origin in Paris. As Republican forces dwindled in number, frequent desertions in the Royalist Army prompted concern that there would be too few soldiers to continue the struggle in Wallonia. The royalist troops of General Mattieu de Longle served as a reinforcement pool for General Exelmans, greatly tainting the personal honor of Longle, whom commanded nearly 40,000 in Paris. Additionally, Longle had previously been the subject of a investigation regarding possible Orleantist leanings, but was never convicted due to the desperate need for officers following the civil war. Having been effectively distanced from the fighting, Longle became vulnerable to the persuasive bribes of wealthy liberals and merchants, placated with Republican promises. On the 12th of January, Longle proclaimed himself "Consul of the Provincial Council of the French Republic" or simply "Consul of France" for short. The immediate correlation between Longle and Bonaparte sparked hoped in Paris, as volunteers rushed to assist in the subduing of Île-de-France. Approximately 93,000 soldiers now were placed under the umbrella command of the Consul, as revolutionaries rushed back in central France to take arms. Royalist Forces in Moulins were caught by a rallying Consulate force of 40,000 soldiers, and across the country, Republican forces that were holding out were reinforced with thousands of men.

xixy.jpg
Republican Soldiers retake Paris, under the command of the Consul.

The Generals of the King were convinced that defeat on a single front would only encourage more to flock and take arms with the Republican side. Marshall Camille retained control over the southern front, as Exelmans, Etiente de Bourbon, and the new Duke of Orléans, Hugo d'Orléans, initiated a aggressive offensive campaign with the intention to conclude the war in a series of swift motions. August Davout, member of the Provincial Consulate, took 32,000 Republicans and drew the forces of Hugo north, intent on delivering a blow that could end the conflict. To his shame, Davout was vastly outnumbered by the combined army, falling victim to a cannon shot at the Battle of Arras, with his army crumbling away. The combined Royalist forces then converged on Paris, with the Consul commanding the remaining 60,000 soldiers. After two days of fighting, the Republican Army had been reduced to 41,000 and was totally destroyed in the following hours. The defeat of the Consul in the North brought the European theater to a effective end, though the conclusive engagement of the war occurred at Dunkirk, with 3,000 rebels attempting a desperate last stand. These rebels were encircled by Exelmans on the 3rd of June, several months after the Battle of Paris, thus bringing the French Civil War to its conclusion and ending resistance against the weary Monarchy.

guxq.jpg

The Battle of Paris, 1842.

((I need to figure out why my images are for some reason, small and blurry.))​

Last edited:
vlfn.jpg

This is my new favourite screenshot. :)

This update makes me curious though: given that this is a history of Legitimist France, what will happen to the AAR if a revolution actually succeeds in game? Will you continue the AAR and play on or will you end it there and then like Tommy did in his Carlist AAR some years ago?

vlfn.jpg

This is my new favourite screenshot. :)

This update makes me curious though: given that this is a history of Legitimist France, what will happen to the AAR if a revolution actually succeeds in game? Will you continue the AAR and play on or will you end it there and then like Tommy did in his Carlist AAR some years ago?

It is a personal tradition of mine to end all games, whether they be a Interactive AAR and my character dies, or if I have a specific goal set in mind, in the event that the prospect falls short. Thus defeat, means defeat, and the AAR will end where the Monarchy of France falls.

What I want to know is...why the monarchy hasn't returned to the use of the Bourbon standard rather than keep the tricolour of the Revolutionary Republican/Napoleonic/Orleanist France?

Because my modding abilities are about as good as a dead cow.

I also need to figure out how to modify political parties mid game...
And fix the picture situation...

Fun times.

Great update, 99KH.

Happy to hear to Monarchy lives on. Hopefully we will see some stability as peasants and nobles alike rally around the Cross.

Let's just hope it lasts. I would have been faced with a third wave and a certain defeat had a event not saved the Monarchy.

Because my modding abilities are about as good as a dead cow.

I also need to figure out how to modify political parties mid game...
And fix the picture situation...

Fun times.

You can mod political parties at any point in the game without incurring any negative side-effects. Simply change the details in the common folder, then edit localisation as appropriate. ;)

You can mod political parties at any point in the game without incurring any negative side-effects. Simply change the details in the common folder, then edit localisation as appropriate. ;)

Trying to steal Tanzhang's advice, eh? I read your AAR too... ;)

On a more serious note, PoD might function a little differently in terms of modding, hence why I will have to investigate.

Trying to steal Tanzhang's advice, eh? I read your AAR too... ;)

...who took it from Tommy4Ever, who no doubt found it out from another source... ;)

On a more serious note, PoD might function a little differently in terms of modding, hence why I will have to investigate.

It might do, but I wouldn't know I'm afraid. Just make a copy of your game files and experiment in one of them.

Trying to steal Tanzhang's advice, eh?

If he is, he's doing a poor job of it. You don't even need to mess with the localisation folder!

So...sabotage, huh?

Well, no. Messing with localisation works too, it just takes longer. The only time you have to do it is if your messing with the name of the party currently in power.

If he is, he's doing a poor job of it. You don't even need to mess with the localisation folder!

I did say as apppropriate. I was under the impression that if one adds parties, one has to give them a name via the localisation folder. Is this not the case?