• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Berlichingen

Colonel Had a Few
67 Badges
Nov 25, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
Lord of the Horizons
~ The Ottoman Struggle ~

mehmet5.jpg

The New Sultan Mehmet V
history7004.jpg

Coat of Arms of Osmanali

Using the kickass The Great War modification, I've decided to start this Ottoman AAR. With Allenby's superb British AAR and the Austrian AAR, I've decided Ottomans, I think one of the hardest majors to play in the mod should have their story told. I've taken the liberty to edit the game files a bit, customizing it to what I think is more historical. Updates may be scarce, but hopefully we can get the ball rolling, with the dual other AARs covering the same timeperiod, I'll try and avoid lengthy posts about European happenings and instead concentrate on the Ottoman struggle and happenings in her corner of the world. Below are a list of some of my changes:

Changes
- Tinkered with some of the country colors to make it look nicer IMO
- Added 4-5 new pictures to Ottoman/German commanders I was able to find
- Added an ahistorical German Field Marshal, Ernst Wilhelm von Knorr that will be apart of the story
- Made about 3 Ottoman Lt. Generals to full Generals, because of the size of Ottoman corps are usually 4 not 3 divisions and it becomes a major hassel promoting all the Lt. Generals.
- Upgraded the Ottoman techs a bit, more or less to the standard of Italy. Ottomans have been recieving German aide and equipment since 1882, with the first missions by Kolmar von der Goltz, I felt it extremely unrealistic that the Ottomans didn't even have bolt-action rifles, when they had them since the Balkan Wars, German made of course. Half the Ottoman Army being militia and lack of industrial power should be enough to keep Ottomans at her historical disadvantage.

First Update should be up sometime today. Thanks!​

Act I - Part I - Preparation and Politics

Act I
~ Part I - Preparation and Politics ~

cple.jpg

Constantinople 1908

A new year has dawned again over the timeless sands of the Near East, and as herdsmen tend their sheep and merchants haggle over goods, a storm brews in Europe, and across the world. The emergence of the Young Turk government the previous year during the disasterous Balkan War of 1912-1913 saw sweeping reforms, for good or ill. Mehmed Talaat Pasha, Grand Vizier and one of the ruling triumverate and the Young Turks had attempted to drag Turkey through a century of development in a period of no more than six years. In a constant balance between European investment and development, while still trying to limit foreign influence and European bankers from owning the infrastructure. This had produced mixed results by the year 1914, while 5,991 kilometeres of railroad exsists in the Ottoman Empire, it was heavily concentrated in upper Anatolia and the Berlin-Baghdad railway. In the rapid modernization few had benefited and majority of the Empire remains as ancient as it was centuries ago. Rebuffed internationally, the Young Turks turned increasinly to Germany for aide, both militarily and diplomatically. Germany, seeing the radical and progressive Turkish government saw it as a perfect opprotunity to make a blow to British dominance in the Middle East and possibly Africa. Despite previous Turkish attempts to strike deals with the British, the Imperial Ministry remained exceedingly cold. Turkey, was caught in the same situation as Japan, rapidly modernizing, hemmed in from many potential enemies and lacking a suitable major player to protect it. Rebuffed by Britian and with Russia out of the question, the Turks turned towards Germany.

enver-jemal-.JPG

Enver and Djemal, brethren in Power

Elsewhere in the Arab world things were mixed results, while the insurgant Sanussi Emirate, funded with Ottoman equipment and including many Ottoman volunteers from the 1911-1913 Italian-Turkish War continued a friendly policy with Ottomans, and remained a thorn both in Italy and Britian's side in consolidating their Libyan and Egyptian domains, both Ottoman real-estate. Hedjaz and Yemen remained under the yoke of Turkey, with Turkish troops stationed there and exploiting the Emirates' oil and coal reasources. However things looked grim elsewhere, Jebel Shammer and Nejd, both Arabian Warlord states as far as Constantinople was concerned remained extremely militant towards Turkey and uncooperative in attempts to form a Moslem alliance against the British, who now controled Southern Yemen, Kuwait, Bahrain-Qatar. Persia remained fractitious and turbulent, controled largely by Russians in the North and British in the south. Moves had been made to contact Prenk Pasha of Southern Persia in undermining British influences in Kuwait and Persia, but to no avail. Emerging is a situation where Ottomans, hemmed in by Greece, Russia, Britian, Bulgaria and Italy finds itself unable even to work with Moslems and in a dangerous predictament. Emerge Ernst Wilhelm von Knorr.

prenk.gif

Prenk Pasha discussing with Young Turk

Admiral_Knorr_.jpg

Retired Admiral Ernst Wilhelm von Knorr

Dispatched to Turkey in January of 1914, he is to be chief coordinator of Turkish military cooperation with Germany, Italy and Austria. bringing with him Krupp field pieces and more German staff, including Generals Langfeld and Liebmann. Kolmar von der Goltz and Liman von Sanders already had been in the country for a year or more, Kolmar von der Goltz working with the Turks since 1882. Wilhelm von Knorr is to coordinate greater Central Powers affairs with Turkey, and as a retired naval administrator, is skilled to deal with Ottoman naval policy in the mediterranean and black sea. Wilhelm von Knorr, meeting with Enver and Liman von Sanders began orchestrating Ottoman war plans. This final move cemented the Turkish-German relationship, but Talaat Pasha, playing his final cards, would attempt one final measure to strike a deal with Britian. Only time will tell if London will respond as cooly as before or not as tensions in Europe heat up.

Very nicely written first update. It's interesting how Germany at this time aided the Ottomans but at the same time the Kaiser was supporting the WZO cause, which the Turks opposed. I guess it was probalby for the best for the Ottomans to turn a blind eye to Jewish immigration to Palestine since it boosted the economy.

Act I
~ Part II - The Coming Crisis ~

zaghlul.gif

Young turk Congress upon hearing of the News from Britian

We regreat to inform you that the proposal of an exchange of the said territory of Kuwait for military cooperation is unacceptable. Kuwait is a rightful British dominion, and will not be bargained as a piece of property. However we will also regret to inform you that we are unable to do much to cure the unstable state of Arabia. Britian holds no power over the Arabian princes of Nejd and Jebel-Shammar, and we are unable to fullfill your requests beyond what we do already, doing our best to insure peace and stability for the domains that our under our protection. Britian wishes to see no harm come of Turkey, and still hold our commitment to see the straights in the hands of Turkey, and not Russia, and ensure you commitments within our Entente will not threaten that. We must sadly reject your said proposal however, but are willing to entertain other prospects within these matters.

- Communique from British Foreign Ministry

The final proposal put worth by Talaat, exchanging Kuwait for Ottoman-British military cooperation, and settling of Arabian issues was rejected by the British in late January, sealing the German-Turkish relation. However more disturbing news arrived from Hedjaz. The 22nd Division, composed largely of Hedjaz voluteers was moving by rail towards Sana, Yemen when it came under a fierce ambush from Arabian freedom fighters. The train, stopped by railway detonations came under rifle-fire fire, Enfields no less. The men fought a small fierce engagement with the raiders, eventually driving them off, with the loss of over twenty souls. This attack was met with a fierce retaliation, as detachments of troops from Kemal Pasha's 7th Corps were sent into into nearby Nejd territory. The situation has quieted and the railway repaired, but the fierce skirmishes promoted a Grant Council of War to be called. The British rebuff, coinciding with the violence in Arabia has only heightened fears of a coming Crisis in the Arabian peninsula, possibly growing to threaten the very livelyhood of the Empire. With renewed purpose, Enver Pasha, Kolmar von der Goltz, Liman von Sanders, Djemal Pasha, and Wilhelm von Knorr meet for a Council of War in Damascus. The plans they drew up called for a series of lighting campaigns to improve Ottoman strategic position before concentrating on what is believed to be the two main theaters of combat - Egypt and the Balkans.

Hedjaz.jpg

Hedjaz volunteers serving in Ottoman ranks

Kolmar von der Goltz, the venerable veteran, serving through revolutions, Sultan exilations and political upheavals, still and has always held the belief the strategic position of the straights must be held at all costs. Throughout the 1890s, he had commissioned many new forts along the straights and the placing of mines. In the first rounds of discussions, Kolmar's views of strategic defense won over, funds and troops were approved to build new forts along the Dardanelles, and to expand and modernize the navy. Next order of business was pushed forward by Enver Pasha, he advocating offensives into Egypt and Arabia to crush British presences there, although aggressive in scope, it was also very unrealistic, and the more level-headed Von Knorr and von Sanders instead worked with Djemal to make a compromise plan. Instead of broad-offensives, Knorr said that the main moves should come at least 18 months after the start of a war, to allow sufficient supplies to be stockpiled, men to be assembled and the war efforts to be organized. Knorr instead advised small-scale offensives made to improve the Ottoman strategic situation and allow sufficient time for the military to ready itself for more demanding actions. This view, although argued against fiercely by Enver, was eventually accepted with a concession to allow an offensive into Aden and British Yemen. The finalized plan was ready by mid-February, and contains the following:

You are right, the Aden attack is a risky gamble, but its there for two reasons, one, my position in Arabia is tendable, its either all or nothing, and two, it fits into the story a bit, enver Pasha was unrealistically aggressive, instead of me having him slaughter 300,000 good Ottoman troops in Caucasus like he historicaly did, I'll have him possibly slaughter my crappy militia troops.

But in reality I have to be aggressive in Arabia or the whole thing is collasping on me.

Lovely piece, simply great. You have a real talent. :)

Thanks alot, next update is a biggie, but I've ran into a potential problem.

It says that there is an error in the AI event file and I cannot load my saved game, although I have backups on all the files, so I will try tinkering with it, my saved games as Austria-Hungary still work, and I've made no event changes, so I'll keep tinkering. If worse comes to worse, I can restart and play through the same way, things should end up similiar. Regardless, about 2-3 updates are under works now.

Thanks for reading. :D:D

Yay, an AAR on the Ottomans! Let us hope the Osmanli win out this time ;)

Act I
~ Part III - The Edge of No Return ~

Shouts erupted from the floor of the Young Turk Congress, a large body of radicals that formed the Committee of Union and Progress or CUP during the pre-revolution days. Although the triumverate of Djemal, Talaat and Enver ruled the country, their actions were largely influenced by the brawling and partisan assembly. Insults flew as the assembly was attempted to call to order. The uproar began to die down as Talaat Pasha attempted to hold back a smug smile. News had arrived from Egypt of Kiamil Pasha's dealings with Lord Kitchner in Egypt. Kiamil Pasha, the former Grand Vizer had been ousted from the country in the C.U.P. 1913 revolution and since exiled to Egypt, along with many government officials. There, Kiamil had started an underground attempt to overthrow the C.U.P. leaders and re-establish the old order. This news was recieved with mass outcry from the assembly, who detested Kiamil as "an old wretched man unable to see farther than his nose yet able to see backwards farther than his ass." This was a political bombshell for Talaat and Enver, the main pushers for a German-Ottoman alliance, but lacking sufficient support in the assembly had kept Enver's hands tied in forging more official relations. The mass fundraising for the Dreadnoughts Sultan Osman I and Reshadieh being built in Britian had weakened German-Turkish relations, as Talaat tried publically to inch closer to the British government. This news cemented the triumverate of Djemal, Enver and Talaat behind a German alliance, but unable to convince the assembly, they finally had their political coup. Djemal strode to the podium spontanously and began calling for his brethren to deal the lying and thieving British a mighty blow they will not forget. The assembly cheered, and many swore the death of Kiamil Pasha would come soon.

kiamil.jpg

Kiamil Pasha, former Grand Vizier, political schemer

Outside of the turbulent young turk congress, Turkey was a flury of activity. Plans drawn up by Wilhelm von Knorr and the Council of War were being put into affect, crews began construction in Palestine and Dardanelles and research continued into artillery and modern weaponry, assisted by fund tranfers from Deutsche Bank. Troops were shipped across the country by rail when able too and over 100,000 Ottoman reservists were mobilized to re-enforce the Ottoman divisions to full strength, trained largely by German officers. The building of dual dreadnoughts in Britian had placed Osmanli back on the table between the powers, at least in the eyes of the assembly, but the bombshell of Kiamil has all but destroyed hopes of an Anglo-Turkish pact. Tewfik Pasha, Ottoman ambassador to Britian issued official complaints, exposing the deal, and published in British papers, embarassing Kitchner and the entire military establishment. The military entirely denied this claim of course, and due to the lack of credibility of the Young Turks, the international sensation slowly dissapated, with Britian hotly denying the accusations, much to the frustration of Talaat. This move however prompted Germany to re-open negotiations for a secret alliance, but the deal stalled as the assembly battled it out again over issues of allying with Germany, and therefore Austria-Hungary, and the hatred still exsisting there from the 1880s.

tewfik.jpg

Tewfik Pasha, Ottoman Ambassador to Britian

As the summer dragged on, Enver visited the Kaiser maneuvers held outside Wurzburg and came back with ever Germanized mustache and sporting a new German uniform. Finally in late June news hit the world, Archduke Ferdinand had been assassinated. A rapid series of events occur, as Austria, with German support, delivered an ultimatum, sparking Russia to ally with Serbia, and igniting a global conflict, as France and then Britian joined in the struggle. Ottomans opted out of immediate entry, but the British siezure of both Ottoman dreadnoughts sparked national outrage. A cry of thievry exploded both in politics and among the peasantry, that had been taxed for the efforts heavily. This cry fell on deaf ears, only reaping more anger. Enver Pasha, with unanimous support from the government initiated a secret alliance with Germany. As the war exploded across Europe, Turkey mobilizied and prepared for all out War, not just War, a Holy War against the European encrochment.

Events Leading to War, notice Italy leaving CP and Sweden joining

The final move to war came when the Caliph declared all out Jihad against the Western Allies, as infidels and desecrators, calling for all Arabs in Africa, India and the Middle East to rise up and defeat the oppressor infidel dogs.

jihad.jpg

Caliph Declaring Holy War

Osmanli on October 25th 1914, after bombarding the port of Stevastapol and Odessa entered the War with Germany, Austria and Sweden. The Edge of no Return had been reached.

Thanks! Next update should hopefully be tomorrow, starting Act II, but I have to got the historical center to do some research for my AP US History project and then go out to dinner with my grandma cause she's in town. Hopefully I can get it up between my other commitments. The next Act should be interesting. :D

Looking good sir! The format seems similar to the Advantages without Obligations, but that's just a coincidence, yes? :D
It's nice to see a well-written and intriguing HoI1 AAR, keep up the good work!

I'm enjoying this. I'm surprised that Sweden joined the Central Powers. I assume Russia will be fighting on four fronts now. Ouch!

Nice to see a new TGW AAR, and one about the Ottoman Empire will be great. They are difficult to play and most times when I play TGW they normally get their asses kicked by the British so it will be jolly interesting to see how you will play it out. Keep up the good work:)

Act II
~ Part I - The Tides of War ~

tlp23.jpg

German U-15 enters Sea of Marmara

The cold winds of late fall swept through the bustling streets of Constantinople, as troops assembled in the streets were greeted with cheering crowds and plentiful blessings from the Mullahs. In the beautiful waters of the Sea of Marmara, German U-15 made its way through the minefields, watched over by Turkish dreadnought Mesudieh. The German U-boot brought secret documents gathered by German intelligence of the distribution of the Royal Navy and Army, critical in the coming offensives. Kress von Kressenstein, arrived from Berlin and carrying a large holding tube and accompanied by German officers and staff met with Enver Pasha, who was preparing to depart to take command of troops forming along the Kuwait border. In the past week, over a million men had been mobilizied and the railways were thunderous in activity and many miles had been covered by the dusty boots of Ottoman infantry. Kress von Kressenstein, a rather young but hardened man was to take acting command as Chief of Staff to Enver Pasha and would do much to temper Enver's firebranded ways in the coming months. Pouring over intelligent documents and even aerial photos of the Suez Canal and Alexandria, Enver Pasha, joined by von Knorr slowly began to agree that Egypt was untainable in the first year of the fighting, it would have to be reserved for later. Satisfied, U-15 sailed into the Black Sea and commence operations, sinking a Russian merchant vessel off Rumania only days after hunting. Meanwhile Enver Pasha and Kressenstein went south by rail to Basrah to join the assembled 150,000 Ottoman troops ready to storm into Kuwait.

tlp21.jpg

Ottoman soldiers form for Parade inspection

The invasion of Kuwait commenced, the first opening shots of the Ottoman offensives being fired from German Krupp 77mms, as they blasted British frontlines. The mixed force of 1 British Army Brigade, several Naval companies and several militia Kuwaiti regiments collasped infornt of the onslaught of the Ottmoan Army. Within a week of fighting Kuwait was overran and 3,000 British prisoners passing into Ottoman prison camps in Iraq. This move catalyzed effects among the Arabian princes, who were shocked by the swiftness of the Ottoman advance. Both Jebel and Nejd had not reacted to the Holy War, although Sanusia, Persia and Afghanistan were brewing for a fight, even volunteer troops from Persia arriving to join Ottoman ranks in small numbers. Meanwhile, far to the south, Kemal Pasha's 4 Redif divisions made their advanced towards Aden. With his supply lines harassed and marching through the inhospital desert, Kemal's first attack blundered into the British colonial division garrisoned there. Heavy fighting broke out around Lahjii, only 30 miles north of Aden, as Kemal's 3 divisions pressed hard against the British colonial forces. The fighting was a struggle, as the British beat back two Ottoman assaults with heavy losses, slaughtering an entire company of Hedjaz troops. Kemal, resulting the fruitlessness of the direct attacks, skillfully sent a division of troops Shaykh, south of Lahjii, sweeping a weak British garrison aside, while Kemal's 4th Division pushed to Al Mukalla, capital of Yemen. The British colonial division, outflanked and becoming cut off from Oman and Al Mukalla, attempted to break out of the forming encirclement, punching through Ottoman lines and routing an entire Ottoman regiment. But as the attack progressed, Kemal personally directed the counter-attack of a Hedjaz regiment, filled with fire over the slaughter of their brethren. The British colonial division broke apart under the strain, although most of the British escaped the pocket, reforming in Oman, although at less than half strength and moral dropping. The rough fighting in Aden cost Kemal over 4,000 troops, but he managed to kill roughly 1,500 British and capture another 3,000. Kemal moved his forces, taking the port of Aden and siezing all the coal and armaments and sending them north under guard to Sinope. The Arabian offenses of Kuwait and Aden had been both amazingly successful, but much more work remained in Oman and Qatar.

Meanwhile, to the north, the Caucasus front was moving to a crisis point. The Brummbar offensives, launched by over 500,000 Ottoman troops, had been hamstrung by early snowfalls. Although originally only facing a hodgepodge Russian defense of about 5 divisions, the offensive became bogged down in the mountains. A brutal struggle broke out over mount Ararat, linchpin mountain of the Ottoman-Russian-Persian border, as Ottoman forces launched 10 assaults up the mountain, all repulsed with appaling losses. Meanwhile the Olti salient was cleared and Sarikamysh, the gateway to Kars was taken. However over 20 Russian divisions began arriving by train from the German front, and threw the Ottomn forces back as they drove on Kars. A brutal winter battle broke out along the Aras River and over Plour Olgdir, as Russian forces stormed across the frozen banks to outflank the Aras river front. The winter offensive failed, as blizzards set in, brining terrible toll upon both sides, thousands gaining frostbite and wounds aggravated. The offensives around Kars died as the weather turned bad to worse and many troops transfered north to hold Trabzon and Generals von Sanders and Von der Goltz went back to the drawing boards in how to capture Kars. The brutal offensives cost the Ottoman armies over 30,000 men, and the Russians near equal losses due to their rash counter-attacks, but the losses from the weather went even higher, aggravating losses both by death and injury to about 80,000 troops, severly draining the strength of the 3 Ottoman Armies engaged around Kars. Despite successes in Arabia, the bogged down situation in the Caucasus, the most critical warzone so far, was dangerous. With so many Ottoman troops bogged down in the mountains around Kars, Ottoman offensive potential was severly limited. This plight would occupy the next Grand Council of War, convening in early January as most of the fighting ceased on all fronts.

The final tale came from the lonely U-15, who torpedoed a Russian Torpedo boat off Odessa, sinking it, another victory chalked up to U-15. As troops froze in the mountains and sweated in the deserts, the opening campaigns of 1914 could be labeled, largely an Ottoman victory, while although major losses were encountered in the Caucasus, the taking of Aden and Kuwait had severly crippled British influence in Arabia and supplied Turkey with many tons of coal and much caputured equipment to be studied and even used. If anything ix for certain, 1915 is sure to have in store even more bloodletting for Osmanli.

tlp13.jpg

Frontline near Kars, Caucasus

Last edited:
The HoI AAR section is really coming back to live, and its thanks to the TGW mod. Who would have thought of that...

An amazing struggle in the caucasus, I can imagine those tough attacks in hoi1 can really eat whole armies, which they surely did.

A great start of the AAR.