• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MJF

Lt. General
9 Badges
Dec 31, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
...finally won WWII

JapanWon.png

Last edited:
Just to be clear: I cannot tell the difference. It is all just very foreign.
HA! The truth is revealed!!!;)

The first one is "No" in Chinese -- Bu.

The second one, Japanese -- Bango.

Google (or if you prefer: グーグル) to the rescue!

Last edited:
What is going on.... o_O

What is going on.... o_O
We got spammed again. My OP is a screenshot of the blast overnight. about a dozen roboposts, I gather. Looks like Paradox removed and blocked the culprit.

Crazy, really don't know what they hope to achieve.

Reactions:
Can you tell the difference between japanese and chinese letters?
Hah, an opportunity for me to show off!
An easy trick to see if a text is Japanese is to check if a large portion of the characters look more simple (i.e. are made up of few strokes). ex. あ い う え お (Hiragana) ア イ ウ エ オ (Katakana).
Kanji is essentially Chinese characters, logographic and as good as visually indistinguishable.
Japanese has 3 alphabets. So Japanese texts will always include a lot of non-Chinese characters.
The two syllabic alphabets Hiragana and Katakana are exclusive to Japanese and you will never see a Japanese sentences without them. Isolated, non-complete sentences such as names may be entirely made up of Kanji though.
Chinese texts are always exclusively Chinese characters. :) Basically if all characters look complicated and made up of multiple strokes, like in the spam, its Chinese.

Last edited:
Reactions:
If I may use this opportunity to ask something without opening an entire thread, what does it depend on whether Japan joins the axis?

I play as USA and Japan gets me into war. If I join the allies, I get a dissent hit because I essentially declare war on Germany and "friends". If Japan joins the axis though, the axis essentially declares war on me and I can join allies for free.

Had one game were Japan joined the axis rather quickly, in my current one, it its 1943 and they didn't join yet.

In my game, Germany did win Barbarossa, already got Bitter Peace, but Japan did not join axis.

I take it Japan joining axis is not coded as an event with a chance, but differently?

Maybe I my session was too long, I understand saving and reloading sometimes makes things happen?

I take it Japan joining axis is not coded as an event with a chance, but differently?
There is an event that matters:

Code:
################
# Japan joins axis
#############################################

event = { 
    id = 22015
    random = no 
    country = JAP

trigger = {
        ai = yes
        ai = GER
        OR = {
            puppet = { country = U87 country = JAP } 
            NOT = { alliance = { country = U87 country = JAP } }
        }
        control = { province = 187 data = GER } # Leningrad has fallen
        control = { province = 163 data = GER } # Stalingrad has fallen
        control = { province = 175 data = GER } # Moscow has fallen
        OR = {
            control = { province = 1907 data = GER } # Baku has fallen
            AND = {
                control = { province = 1907 data = AZB } # Baku has fallen
                alliance = { country = GER country = AZB }
            }
            AND = {
                control = { province = 1907 data = UA1 } # Baku has fallen
                alliance = { country = GER country = UA1 }
            }
        }
        OR = {
            AND = {
                war = { country = GER country = USA }
                war = { country = JAP country = USA }
            }
            AND = {
                NOT = { war = { country = GER country = USA } }
                NOT = { war = { country = JAP country = USA } }
                land_percentage = { country = SOV value = 1.0 }
            }
        }
        NOT = { war = { country = JAP country = GER } }
    }

name = "AI_EVENT"
    style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }
    offset = 1
    deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1999 }

action_a = {
        command = { type = alliance which = GER }
    }
}

Reactions:
The USA can also get dissent if Germany declares war on them. This is because of the non-aggression pact between USA and Italy.

Any declaration of war by Germany on a non-allied nation is read by the game as that country joining the Allies (so Germany doesn't get more belligerence - but I don't see why it shouldn't get Belli for declaring war...)

But that means:-
1. Germany declares war on the USA
2. The game reads that as USA joining the Allies
3. Meaning USA has violated the non-aggression pact with Italy
4. USA gets 5 dissent as a result

The best work around is just removing this non-aggression pact, or making it expire by 30 August 1939, as it makes little practical difference in most games.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The USA can also get dissent if Germany declares war on them. This is because of the non-aggression pact between USA and Italy.

Any declaration of war by Germany on a non-allied nation is read by the game as that country joining the Allies (so Germany doesn't get more belligerence - but I don't see why it shouldn't get Belli for declaring war...)

But that means:-
1. Germany declares war on the USA
2. The game reads that as USA joining the Allies
3. Meaning USA has violated the non-aggression pact with Italy
4. USA gets 5 dissent as a result

The best work around is just removing this non-aggression pact, or making it expire by 30 August 1939, as it makes little practical difference in most games.
I just had this mental image of a comintern player tricking USA into signing non-aggression pacts with its puppets, DOWing USA and USA going communist from dissent hit...

I just had this mental image of a comintern player tricking USA into signing non-aggression pacts with its puppets, DOWing USA and USA going communist from dissent hit...
Definitely very bad faith on any player trying that!

It does make me wonder if you can get multiple dissent hits from breaking multiple NAPs at once, that is a good point.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Several interesting wrinkles here. It makes sense that Japan (AI) would not join the Axis if that gang is at war with USSR, unless the Axis is kicking butt - i.e., i possession of Leningrad, Moscow, Stalingrad & Baku, as the event seems to say. (I don't read those things too well...). Recall that Vladivostok being under Axis (Or Japanese?) control triggers BP without Sverdlovsk.

As Germany, I always get Japan to join up, after they DOW USA. UK & NET. Since that always gets USA in the Allies in 1-2 days (which of course de-facto puts the USA at war with Germany without a German DOW) Japan then sees themselves and the Axis at war with the same major players. So far, my Germany is never at war with USSR by then, as I've triggered BP. Would an AI Japan join up after Pearl Harbor if it meant an active war with the USSR? Should they? Probably not.

However, IIRC, Japan never asks me to join. I as Germany have to ask them. Curious.

Some of this above is like my early Barbarossas as Germany. If a Baltic State still exists - Latvia, say - and they are at war with the USSR, if I DOW them they instantly join the Allies. This puts the Allies and USSR at war -- 3-player Risk.

Definitely too gamey.

Some of this above is like my early Barbarossas as Germany. If a Baltic State still exists - Latvia, say - and they are at war with the USSR, if I DOW them they instantly join the Allies. This puts the Allies and USSR at war -- 3-player Risk.

Definitely too gamey.
Agreed, it has led to a few issues in our online campaigns.

Somewhat more frustratingly (due to the significance of it), it means Germany/ the Axis can never make a separate peace deal with any nation they invade as they automatically refuse any peace deal (just because they're in the Allies). I appreciate there was the Atlantic Charter and other agreements for no separate peace deal to be made, that didn't mean they didn't happen (i.e. capitulation in Denmark, Benelux, Norway, surrender in Yugoslavia, Greece etc) - and wouldn't have prevented them happening if Axis forces occupied their capital, and certainly not if they occupied their entire country.

A part of me just wants diplomacy to be much more useful this game (when it comes to handling the AI), as it seems events are currently the main way for this to happen.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Agreed, it has led to a few issues in our online campaigns.

Somewhat more frustratingly (due to the significance of it), it means Germany/ the Axis can never make a separate peace deal with any nation they invade as they automatically refuse any peace deal (just because they're in the Allies). I appreciate there was the Atlantic Charter and other agreements for no separate peace deal to be made, that didn't mean they didn't happen (i.e. capitulation in Denmark, Benelux, Norway, surrender in Yugoslavia, Greece etc) - and wouldn't have prevented them happening if Axis forces occupied their capital, and certainly not if they occupied their entire country.

A part of me just wants diplomacy to be much more useful this game (when it comes to handling the AI), as it seems events are currently the main way for this to happen.
Yep. I for one find it quite unlikely that, despite Churchill's famous speech heard at the end of the movie "Darkest Hour" (and Very over-dramatized there!) if Sealion was a success, to include the fall of London, I'll bet ya Mr. Winnie would've been out and Halifax would have made a peace. Interestingly, this would leave the UK in a position to re-DOW the Axis, if warranted, in 18 months! As it stands now, if Sealion is successful, in 18 more months there's little UK left worth making any peace with, let alone being re-attacked by. As such, that's usually when I'm fighting the USA in the early stages. It would be a perfect time for a negotiated 18-month peace treaty to end, and the UK to counterattack!

Same thing with the USA. Take NYC, DC and Chicago and you wanna tell me there wouldn't have been a negotiated settlement at least offered? 18 months later, as the Axis is still finishing off the USSR, the USA is freed from it's peace treaty. Hmmm...

1.13 blueprint in the works??

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yep. I for one find it quite unlikely that, despite Churchill's famous speech heard at the end of the movie "Darkest Hour" (and Very over-dramatized there!) if Sealion was a success, to include the fall of London, I'll bet ya Mr. Winnie would've been out and Halifax would have made a peace. Interestingly, this would leave the UK in a position to re-DOW the Axis, if warranted, in 18 months! As it stands now, if Sealion is successful, in 18 more months there's little UK left worth making any peace with, let alone being re-attacked by. As such, that's usually when I'm fighting the USA in the early stages. It would be a perfect time for a negotiated 18-month peace treaty to end, and the UK to counterattack!

Same thing with the USA. Take NYC, DC and Chicago and you wanna tell me there wouldn't have been a negotiated settlement at least offered? 18 months later, as the Axis is still finishing off the USSR, the USA is freed from it's peace treaty. Hmmm...

1.13 blueprint in the works??

Talking historically, if things went that far, with Germany in charge of London I suspect it would be less a peace than a surrender. Britain - at least the home islands - would probably end up like France, with an occupied zone and a puppet government, probably with Mosley leading it and Germany looting us to the hilt as they did France.

There is an argument for Britain to have Halifax as PM instead of Churchill and making peace after the fall of France. That could well be a government that might regroup and re-enter the war 18-24 months down the line. [Or possibly later because their involved along with Vichy France and the US in fighting Japan 1st] That would be more complex however as you couldn't really have those three allied, especially not Vichy, as a UK dow on Germany would screw up a hell of a lot. However it seems like Halifax wasn't happy with the idea of taking charge, else he would almost certainly have got the job so whether as a player or AI you might need some 3rd option for a British leader. Plus sorting out the peace treaty would be quite a mess.

• 2Like
Reactions: