Looking to make(mod) a harder game (more true to the BT universe).

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

djxput

Sergeant
22 Badges
Feb 28, 2018
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • BATTLETECH
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
First off Ive never really modded a game before myself; Ive used mods but never did my own changes.
What I want is a BT game that is challenging/fun and brings a sense of the BT universe.

These are my ideas of how to implement this:

1. First off I saw Gamesguy post this mod:
- Poorly maintained AI enemy mechs now have more armor(25%-> 50%, 50%-> 75%, 75%->100%)
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ggs-release-day-hard-mod-mod.1091389/
which IMO totally makes sense; if you have watched any streams you will have noticed many mechs having so little armor that acquiring new mechs is like taking candy from a baby. Credit to Gamesguy for doing this.

2. I either wanted to increase the parts needed(salvage) to make a mech or to make CT core destruction have a decreased chance to give a mech. I like the idea of a CT core destruction say 1/2 the time not giving the part but putting the # of parts needed at 4. For me this makes sense; legging or head capping will give you 3 parts and you would need 1 more to finish that mech - should you get a free mech if you blew off both of its legs (doesnt make sense to me)? I think you would need a bit more salvage to make that type of mech workable so Im putting the salvage at 4. At the CT core destruction well Im sure you could find some parts but not always; I hope it works for your own mechs also. Obviously others might want different values for me the above makes sense.

3. Pilot injury; after looking at the simgameconstants and _hard version I'm having trouble figuring out what changes I could make to increase the chance of death based on injury. It still appears too low;
I assume the game files that are used are the simgameconstants.json This file says:
"IncapacitatedDeathChance" : 0.9,
"LethalDeathChance" : 1.4,
"GutsDeathReduction" : 0.05
while the _hard version says:
"IncapacitatedDeathChance" : 0.5,
"LethalDeathChance" : 1.0,
"GutsDeathReduction" : 0.05
So either I got it wrong that the game uses the simgameconstants (will abbreviate sgc) file for its data or I'm not understanding how the numbers work.
But it looks like there is a .9 chance for death with the regular version and a .5 chance with the hard version? does this make sense? So having more guts will decrease the chance for death following a incapacity I assume. Could someone help me figure out if I am looking at this correctly and how to increase the chance for death.

4. Next is finances - it has been stated all along there are basically 2 games; the strategy part with the mech fighting and the financial aspect with not going broke and losing the game this way.
So far with every streamer I have watched; not one came close to being defeated this way even with making dumb mistakes as far as finaces went.
So how to best increase this difficulty?
These are the main finances that I saw in the file:
"MechCostPerQuarter" : 12000,
"MechTechCostPerQuarter" : 9000,
"MedTechCostPerQuarter" : 3000,
"LeopardBaseMaintenanceCost" : 70000,
"ArgoBaseMaintenanceCost" : 80000,
"JumpShipCost" : 30000,
"MechWarriorBaseCostPerPoint" : 2000.0,
"MechWarriorBonusCostPerPoint" : 1000.0,
"MechWarriorHiringCostPerPoint" : 3000.0,
again taken from the sgc file.
There are other changes you can make to the contract reenbursement but this seems easier to just increase the cost of your outfit.

5. Pilot experience gained per mission; easy enough to change
"BaseXPGainPerMission" : 400,

6. And finally the mechlab
"StructureRepairTechPoints" : 0.3,
"StructureRepairCost" : 300,
"ComponentRepairTechPoints" : 5,
"ComponentRepairCost" : 500,
"BallisticInstallTechPoints" : 10,
"BallisticInstallCost" : 500,
"MissileInstallTechPoints" : 10,
"MissileInstallCost" : 500,
"EnergyInstallTechPoints" : 10,
"EnergyInstallCost" : 500,
"APInstallTechPoints" : 5,
"APInstallCost" : 250,
"AmmoInstallTechPoints" : 5,
"AmmoInstallCost" : 100,
"JumpJetInstallTechPoints" : 5,
"JumpJetInstallCost" : 250,
"HeatSinkInstallTechPoints" : 5,
"HeatSinkInstallCost" : 250,
"ArmorInstallTechPoints" : 0,
"ArmorInstallCost" : 0,
"OtherInstallTechPoints" : 5,
"OtherInstallCost" : 500,
"UninstallTechPoints" : 0,
"ZeroStructureCBillModifier" : 4.0,
"ZeroStructureTechPointModifier" : 1.5,
basically you can modify the time/cost for repairs.

So this is what I have so far on what I would like to change; now as far as how much etc ... is the question. Also if I have made any errors please correct me or if you have any suggestions on what to change or what to change to increase the difficulty Im all ears.

oh if anyone figures out how to change the 'building of a mech time from instant to X amount that would be great.

If your goal is to be more simulationist, surely you would also want:

- ammunition and armor replacement has a cost
- salvage of specific mech parts based on damage; limb replacement requires a suitable part
- newly assembled mechs are not fully equipped and take time to assemble
- different mechs have different maintenance costs
- reasonable inventory space limits
- no salvage from scenarios where you can't recover salvage safely (extraction victories, retreats, defeats)

But none of these appear to be readily adjustable in simgameconstants?

If your goal is to be more simulationist, surely you would also want:

- ammunition and armor replacement has a cost
- salvage of specific mech parts based on damage; limb replacement requires a suitable part
- newly assembled mechs are not fully equipped and take time to assemble
- different mechs have different maintenance costs
- reasonable inventory space limits
- no salvage from scenarios where you can't recover salvage safely (extraction victories, retreats, defeats)

But none of these appear to be readily adjustable in simgameconstants?

I agree on most of the items; especially the ammo/armor cost, the mech taking time to be rebuilt and not equipped, and the different maintenance for different mechs ...

@djxput I think you meant "be more like TT." IMO, this game already has a good sense of the BattleTech universe.

I've only done a limited amount of nodding in games, but I would be cautious about the amount of changes you're looking to make.