• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One would hope they move the old thread in here (and the announcement?), just to make the first post(s) more interesting :)

Been playing this last couple of days. It is really great watching your heroes own various monster while you can just and sit and enjoy the show (and press "market day" everyonce in a while.

Uhhh... On average, market days make you less money. They deliver instant cash, but shut down cash *generation* for the entire day.
But yes, it's very gratifying to play a game where you don't have to micro every damn thing.

Alfryd said:
Uhhh... On average, market days make you less money. They deliver instant cash, but shut down cash *generation* for the entire day.
But yes, it's very gratifying to play a game where you don't have to micro every damn thing.

Hmm, never actually knew that. I thought market places make only very marginal money outside market days and people buying healing potions. So it is a bit like rogue guilds extort that gives money quickly but overall results in loss?

What is the best way to have able economy then? I tend to aim for 2 lvl 3 marketplaces quite fast and build tons of inns along the way.

EvilSanta said:
I tend to aim for 2 lvl 3 marketplaces quite fast and build tons of inns along the way.
That's about what I usually do. It's a good strategy. :)

The economic secret is to have a guard house surrounded by a fully upgraded market place and 4-5 inns. Then for every other building turn off the collection so that you tax collectors only spend time going to the marketplace and inns. It is also important to use elves since they increase the output of the inns and market by 75% (or something around that).

housefish said:
It is also important to use elves since they increase the output of the inns and market by 75% (or something around that).
In normal play, using Elves doubles the income over time of Marketplaces, and has no effect on Inns.

In LPS, the bonus to marketplaces is reduced, although I don't know how much.

In norMal play, using Elves doubles the incoMe over tiMe of Marketplaces, and has no effect on Inns.

In LPS, the bonus to Marketplaces is reduced, although I don't know how Much.
In Deathmatch multiplayer, (among many other changes,) the elvish marketplace bonus is reduced to 50%. And it's still overpowering.

Pillager! How shall we recognise you without your signature miscapitalisations!

The other major change I'd make is to set your tax collectors' pickup/return to the same amount, between 250 and 400.

I thought market places make only very marginal money outside market days and people buying healing potions.
Level 1 marketplace = 125 gold x2/day.
Level 2 marketplace = 150 gold x3/day.
Level 3 marketplace = 175 gold x4/day.
There are sundry small bonuses, most importantly the palace (25 gold per burst at level 2 and 75 gold at level 3.) The whole thing is doubled if you get elves. Unfettered capitalist greed rocks! It rocks hard like Captain Picard!

I slightly disagree. I think setting your tax collectors at different levels will ensure you always get a steady income from somewhere.

Like the first at min 100 to max 250. In the beginning, you always need cash :) In the later game, he pretty much checks out the accumulated houses.

Second would be 250-500. He starts going after the Marketplace and the Inn combo mentioned above.

Third would be 500-750. By this time, you should have a pretty big settlement and he usually stays near the first Marketplace which has had time to build up.

Fourth is 750-1000, Fifth is something like 500-1000 or whatever (kinda extraneous).

I always set my Tax Collectors to the same value. It makes it so that you don't have one tax collector collect twice from a building, only to bring in the same amount of gold that your other tax collector would have brought by collecting once.

In my latest game, I had more than 22 tax collectors. :p

housefish said:
The economic secret is to have a guard house surrounded by a fully upgraded market place and 4-5 inns. Then for every other building turn off the collection so that you tax collectors only spend time going to the marketplace and inns. It is also important to use elves since they increase the output of the inns and market by 75% (or something around that).
That strategy is called "Wall Street", and wasn't that Shiny Pony's discovery?
Gotta give him credit eh? ;)

I always set my Tax Collectors to the same value. It makes it so that you don't have one tax collector collect twice from a building, only to bring in the same amount of gold that your other tax collector would have brought by collecting once.
Precisely. The Law of Maximum Perversity, remember?
I mean, seriously, the amount of money from ratman attacks this has saved me is, in retrospect, frightening.

Uhh.

What I was actually saying is that I usually give the same "minimum pickup" value to every Tax Collector I have. Granted, I do also invariably give them "minimum return" equal to the pickup (or lower since it doesn't make a difference), that's just not what I was saying.

Bought it as well :) Didn't know it before, but it looked like a fun concept, and indeed it seems like it is. I hope I have learnt the ins and outs of it by the time the sequel arrives, so I can chime in and anticipate with all the older fanbois :D