• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well since I've never seen a PHX-1b in game, I decided to look it up on Sarna.net, and now I know why it is so much better., SLDF Royal version. Endo-steel and XL engine. But I have to wonder, does the vanilla game even model the weakness of the XL engine?

XL engines also have critical slots in the side torsos, so if the side torso is destroyed, the mech is destroyed. It's a major weakness and a big reason of lot of TT players would avoid XL engine mechs.

Which is a huge buff for XL engines in vanilla games :)

I'm one of those who hate playing with Star League XL in TT, but for those who do, something I've promoted in our local group is…

Since taking three engine hits destroys an engine, why are there 'only' three engine slots in the side torsos? Inner Sphere XLs have twelve engine slots, so why not four in each torso? That frees up two more slots in the center torso, which may or may not be useful based on your mech design philosophy, but why not have it as an option? I've managed to convert a couple of players.

Something I've had less luck with is convincing them to allow me to put eight engine slots in the CT and two in each ST. ;

I'm using my 1B as a backstabber right now. My Archer, Mararder and SDLF Highlander form a 'Hey, over here!' block of armoured doom. The 1B quietly hops around the back and sets to work.

The standard PHX was like using a stilleto to the kidney. The 1B is like using a Kurgan style broadsword.

I'm using my 1B as a backstabber right now. My Archer, Mararder and SDLF Highlander form a 'Hey, over here!' block of armoured doom. The 1B quietly hops around the back and sets to work.

The standard PHX was like using a stilleto to the kidney. The 1B is like using a Kurgan style broadsword.

Does your HGN complain about your Pixie pilot shouting 'there can be only one'?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Dekker yells it in a dodgily Scottish sounding 'Egyptian' accent, so nobody seems to mind.

No wonder everyone keeps shooting at him if that's the accent he goes with.

1) Ammo requirements. 12 seems to be enough. By the end of 12 salvos the battle is over, or my mech is overheated and it's time to start with the physical attacks.

2) Number of salvage parts to make a mech. 3. Game time for me is hard to get, so I don't like stretching out the book keeping aspect to much. I would think 5 would be more "realistic". In my first Battletech Campaign back in 1992 I destroyed the gyro on a pristine Victor at long range. The Game Master wasn't able to find a replacement for 9 months in real time play.

3) Experience modifiers. Normal experience is fine for me. 1200 days is over 3 years and somewhere around 400 combat missions or so. I would think that a Mechwarrior with that kind of experience would hit the max. Looking at history, combat veterans with 3 years on the front lines who were still alive tended to be very, very dangerous. WWII fighter pilot with 400 combat missions were exceptional.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"WWII fighter pilot with 400 combat missions were exceptional." — And German.

10s in all four skills requires 114,000 XP. I'm a little under 1000 days into the campaign using minimum XP rewards and my personal character has 51,300 with eight other characters grouped between 28,200 and 28,500. I expect by the time I'm done this will have run over 3000 days with most of the missions still to come being much harder, and therefore more XP-producing. My point is that characters with all 10s should be legendary, and in past campaigns it's been far too easy to attain that level.

Note that one pilot has died and five have been released so far, while those hired have mostly come in with around 20,000, so the XP totals don't match the number actually earned. Minimum rewards is working very well for me, though I might regret it if there are several more deaths. In my three previous campaigns (each around 1600-1800 days) I've had anywhere from 4 to 8 deaths, with the number decreasing in each campaign.

I agree with you about the ammo requirements. I had to add a ton to my Shadow Hawks (which each have an Ultra-5) after they repeatedly ran dry, but so far they're the only ones that were a problem. With one ton of ammo the Black Jack has only run out once, and with two tons the LRM-20 Centurion has also only run out once.

With only one ton the 6 mg Firestarters (I call my version the Infantry Killer) run out most missions, but almost always on the last turn of the game. In the low level missions (2 1/2 skulls and under) they are absolute death machines, usually taking down 20-25 tonners with one shot from the front and up to 40 tonners with one shot from the rear. Combine that with being able to jump 6 every turn so they're very hard to hit and never having heat problems — even in Martian and Lunar environments, which I'm running into a lot — and I'm strongly tempted to not upgrade them to a Vulcan and a Phoenix Hawk as I originally planned. (That's not an issue so far, as I haven't been able to accumulate the 7 parts.)

Current mechs in force:
2 Shadow Hawks (Ultra-5, ML, SL, melee mods, Jump 5) Good all-arounders. One has 135 melee damage and the other 100 + 70 extra stability damage. Only downside is that I had to trim 40 armor off each leg to add the extra ammo.

Kintaro (SRM-12 doing 10 damage, SRM-6 doing 12 damage, Jump 5) This replaced an Infantry Killer that was destroyed, but it's NOT an upgrade. A real heat pig, even though it has my only double heat sink, it's simply unusable in adverse heat environments, though not bad in Arctic/Tundra/Jungle.

Centurion (LRM-20 doing 5 damage, 2 ML, 3 SL, jump 4) My only LRM machine, it's the one I make sure always has a multishot pilot. Very useful. I was planning to trade it in for an LRM Kintaro, but that experiment was a bust that cost me over 60 days of hangar time.

Black Jack (Ultra-2, 3 ML, Jump 4) My ancestral mech, it's been in the shop for the past 100+ days waiting to complete a rebuild after getting ripped to pieces in a convoy attack. By the time it's done I hope I'll have a Phoenix Hawk chassis ready to replace it. A very good mech (better after swapping in the Ultra for an AC-2 and an ML) which I'm going to miss when it's gone. Probably a good thing I have the opportunity to get used to not running it now.

Infantry Killer (ML+10, 5 mgs, 1 mg+5, Jump 6) As described above. Eventually this will be replaced by a 4 mg Vulcan with more MLs, but I'm not sure that will be an upgrade, though I've run them before. Doubling the range on the mgs makes them much more versatile, but losing 2 of them makes them much less effective. The extra armor and being able to stay outside of melee range of most mechs will (I hope) tip the balance in favor of this being an upgrade.

In another couple hundred days I should be adding the Argo, at which time I'll pick up the one Victor part I'm missing and use that as my new command mech. Right now I'm self-imposing that I can't keep completed chassis in storage, so every time one completes I have to immediately upgrade or sell it off. I'm hoping that pretty shortly after getting the second mech bay I'll be able to drop a Victor/Archer/War Hammer/Marauder lance.

"WWII fighter pilot with 400 combat missions were exceptional." — And German.

10s in all four skills requires 114,000 XP. I'm a little under 1000 days into the campaign using minimum XP rewards and my personal character has 51,300 with eight other characters grouped between 28,200 and 28,500. I expect by the time I'm done this will have run over 3000 days with most of the missions still to come being much harder, and therefore more XP-producing. My point is that characters with all 10s should be legendary, and in past campaigns it's been far too easy to attain that level.
Excellent, you understand the fighter pilot reference. We do need a list of parameters that get the game to reflect reality a little better.
I agree with you about the ammo requirements. I had to add a ton to my Shadow Hawks (which each have an Ultra-5) after they repeatedly ran dry, but so far they're the only ones that were a problem. With one ton of ammo the Black Jack has only run out once, and with two tons the LRM-20 Centurion has also only run out once.

Harmon Replied, "Yes, Ultra Autocannons by definition use up ammo at double the standard rate. "

Curtis Cook, "In another couple hundred days I should be adding the Argo, at which time I'll pick up the one Victor part I'm missing and use that as my new command mech. Right now I'm self-imposing that I can't keep completed chassis in storage, so every time one completes I have to immediately upgrade or sell it off. I'm hoping that pretty shortly after getting the second mech bay I'll be able to drop a Victor/Archer/War Hammer/Marauder lance."
Harmon replied, "The Victor is a beast, especially when a Mechwarrior who know how to use jump jets is at the controls. "

• 1Like
Reactions:
Harmon replied, "The Victor is a beast, especially when a Mechwarrior who know how to use jump jets is at the controls. "

My tabletop experience does suggest its really good at... well, herding people. Lots of concern over that AC/20 getting anywhere where a sudden jump can put it in the rear arc. (Even taking into account the penalty on tabletop for doing so. It's just too much damage to want to take the risk...)

And so, I've found it can "herd" things. Only thing better at herding is the potentially-hidden Demolisher in those light woods over there.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I had to laugh at your "Yes, Ultra Autocannons by definition use up ammo at double the standard rate. " Thank you for pointing out that I had missed the obvious.
My tabletop experience does suggest its really good at... well, herding people. Lots of concern over that AC/20 getting anywhere where a sudden jump can put it in the rear arc. (Even taking into account the penalty on tabletop for doing so. It's just too much damage to want to take the risk...)
For some reason (maybe it's hardcoded?) in every campaign one of the first 'specials' I've run across is a Gauss Rifle. I always buy them, even if it strains the finances, and I've never been sorry, as it's 1000+ days before I find another. And so it was this time. Which is my way of saying that, while I agree with you about the AC-20, I always swap them out for Gauss in my Victors.

I've tried the Ultra-20 with +20 damage in both a Hunchback and an Atlas, and even with pilots who give -2 to recoil penalty and have gunnery 8-10, it just hasn't worked out. While I do respect the AC-20, and keep one as a backup to throw into a mech to replace a lost Gauss, the added range and ability to cause crits without having to penetrate armor makes the Gauss a superior weapon for me.

For some reason (maybe it's hardcoded?) in every campaign one of the first 'specials' I've run across is a Gauss Rifle. I always buy them, even if it strains the finances, and I've never been sorry, as it's 1000+ days before I find another. And so it was this time. Which is my way of saying that, while I agree with you about the AC-20, I always swap them out for Gauss in my Victors.

I've tried the Ultra-20 with +20 damage in both a Hunchback and an Atlas, and even with pilots who give -2 to recoil penalty and have gunnery 8-10, it just hasn't worked out. While I do respect the AC-20, and keep one as a backup to throw into a mech to replace a lost Gauss, the added range and ability to cause crits without having to penetrate armor makes the Gauss a superior weapon for me.

Oh it's a pretty big gamble, but what's hilarious is getting the chance to use a UM-R60L UrbanMech during that one Flashpoint... nothing like bringing down targets with a humble trashcan. What I might do, for the laughs, is see if I can use the ANH-1A Annihilator with AC/20s for just... carnage.

... I really need to reinstall the game. (A statement my friend said "is usually said about 'Bloodlines' instead".)

Reactions: