• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just tested. In FTM as Germany, I can pick Puppet or Conquer as a wargoal on Yemen. I picket Puppet and a month later I can only pick Conquer. On Oman I chose Conquer, then next month only Puppet was available. So once you have picked one you have only the option of the other next month. Once both options were chosen the wargoal screen was blank of options on the following month.

I saw this on the JAP portion of the savegame of 1939 scenario. There seem to be pre-selected Wargoals on both NatChi and Guanxi, neither of which were my choices! I'm wondering what actually happens when you change the wargoals and whether that was the cause of the issues in Corugi's game?

casus belli.jpg

Reactions:
This just got personal as happened to me just now. I had Puppet wargoal on Norway and took Oslo and Narvik. Only victory brought up two notifications the upper (later one,) saying Japan puppeted Norway. The lower (earlier) one saying Germany enforced Conquer on them. The map was a grey/brown hatching, like a German conquest but with Norwegian combat units still there.

I went back to the earlier savegame and just deleted the 6 lines with the German conquer wargoal there. Search for "war_goal" to find the right area at the end of the save file. When I reloaded and relanded the Puppet goal fired fine.

I'm guessing Corugi picked a second wargoal without knowing the first was preselected. Or another nation added one? Either way a quick check in the last savegame before the wargoals fired, should show the double wargoal. Just delete the unnecessary one.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wargoals are easely viewable in TFH, but I'm not positive about FtM. Select a country, and there should be three buttons between the list of threats/neutrality and and the box with a list of wars, alliances, and guarantees. The right-most button displays any relevant wargoals, both by the country and against them. The buttons further below, for diplomatic actions, don't bring up that information.

Reactions:
So in TFH as Japan player you say you can see if Germany had a wargoal on Norway? This is good because this would be an absolute nightmare in a multiplayer game with everyone adding their own overlapping wargoals!

This just got personal as happened to me just now. I had Puppet wargoal on Norway and took Oslo and Narvik. Only victory brought up two notifications the upper (later one,) saying Japan puppeted Norway. The lower (earlier) one saying Germany enforced Conquer on them. The map was a grey/brown hatching, like a German conquest but with Norwegian combat units still there.

I went back to the earlier savegame and just deleted the 6 lines with the German conquer wargoal there. Search for "war_goal" to find the right area at the end of the save file. When I reloaded and relanded the Puppet goal fired fine.

I'm guessing Corugi picked a second wargoal without knowing the first was preselected. Or another nation added one? Either way a quick check in the last savegame before the wargoals fired, should show the double wargoal. Just delete the unnecessary one.
You are indeed correct. I went back and had a look. Yup, Japan has war goals of puppet AND conquer on China. Obviously whoever set up the scenario placed the puppet goal, and it appears that this can not be replaced in game with a new conquer goal unless, as you showed, one goes into the files and edits it out.

Anyway I was highly annoyed with this. I started again with the 36 scenario on very hard before I read your post. Unfortunately it's a bit of a walkover. I annexed China by October 37, scant months after the Marco Polo event. Interestingly enough Germany declared on Greece and Yugoslavia about the same time. I will just going to keep going to see how things pan out with this situation.

Btw, how do you do your screen shots? Like, do you save them to a file on your computer or do you upload them to something like imagur? Is there a way to ensure all screen shots have your personal details removed so they cant be back traced to you? ( Just paranoid about internet security here ).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I use imgur, I've set up a specific account for anything I post here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm lazy. I just pressed F11 in game and they get saved to the game folder named Screenshots. I load them into the windows paint and save them as a Jpeg. I just uploaded them straight to the page, without using a separate site.

I am now paranoid! Should I be using a separate account? What can you see about me from that image????? Apart from my poor editing skills!

I just use a separate account so that my main Imgur isn't overloaded with pictures that someone might associate with a rather... Negative... view of me given what constitutes my AAR subject matter.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I just use a separate account so that my main Imgur isn't overloaded with pictures that someone might associate with a rather... Negative... view of me given what constitutes my AAR subject matter.
Yeah thats a concern for me as well. Taken out of context malicous people can paint a pretty nasty picture .

Reactions:
I'm lazy. I just pressed F11 in game and they get saved to the game folder named Screenshots. I load them into the windows paint and save them as a Jpeg. I just uploaded them straight to the page, without using a separate site.

I am now paranoid! Should I be using a separate account? What can you see about me from that image????? Apart from my poor editing skills!
I am a noob when it comes to this subject matter, and I am working off a lot of second hand information and anecdotes. But I am genuinely concerned, as I think anyone who uses the internet should be under just about any circumstance. Not just things like identity theft and back tracing, but also the degree of maliciousness shown by individuals when targeting another for whatever reason. I am talking about stalking, misrepresentations, phishing, the whole gauntlet of nasty little internet tricks some people can get up to. I think this is a fairly safe community and forum, being so niche and relatively inactive, but who knows who is lurking in the shadows? With respect to images I believe ( and I could be wrong ) that when saved to your computer they are embedded with information related to your computer's ID. In theory then a person could take an image you posted on the internet and locate your ISP and computer. Sufficiently motivated and skilled it is conceivable they could breech your computer's security, which for most of us is likely quite weak. I have heard there exists a way to "scrub" personal information from image files so they can be safely uploaded and be untraceable to you.

As examples I have friends say they were somehow traced through posts and images on the internet, on various platforms ( eg. facebook, twitter, forums ). They were horrified to find complete strangers posting personal information about them on public forums, like who their friends were, where they lived, what job they had. General bullshit like that. I am guessing it was facebook shenanigans, but they weren't sure. Needless to say they were deeply unsettled by this.

But like I said, all this is just what I have heard secondhand. It may be nonsense. It may have a grain of truth. It may be for real. Personally I would rather be safe than sorry.

Does uploading to Imgur rather than uploading direct to this board give any extra protection or scrubbing? I genuinely have no knowledge of this topic. I kind of hate setting up numerous accounts as I easily tire of thinking up new usernames and passwords!

Can't say that there's any more security or not, haven't looked that hard into it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does uploading to Imgur rather than uploading direct to this board give any extra protection or scrubbing? I genuinely have no knowledge of this topic. I kind of hate setting up numerous accounts as I easily tire of thinking up new usernames and passwords!
No, it doesn't. However, it isn't too difficult.

I'm totally with you on hating setting up new logins and passwords. I already have too many to keep track of and I'm over it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's generally why for things like this I use the password managers. Usually much easier to use and let them do all the heavy lifting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Got to a really odd point in my JAP campaign and left it for a while. I've done the easy swarm through India bit and mopped up or isolated other ENG elements in Africa and Asia. I've grabbed bits of Greece, Malta and Gibraltar on the way. But here's the problem. I would normally want to land in the UK next, except I know taking their ports will trigger a SOV declaration against my GER allies. The SOV forces are massed on the GER border while my axis partners have NOTHING nearby. The GER and ITA Armies are dithering in their recently conquered Greek and Spanish provinces with no obvious intent to redeploy.

I can't decide whether just to wait 8 months and see if the Axis redeployment for Barbarossa happens. I'm fairly sure if I cause the SOV dow now that they'll be in Berlin before enough axis units get there? Perhaps not?

I'm wondering whether there was a way to make GER keep more focus on their Eastern border with SOV threat or something?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Got to a really odd point in my JAP campaign and left it for a while. I've done the easy swarm through India bit and mopped up or isolated other ENG elements in Africa and Asia. I've grabbed bits of Greece, Malta and Gibraltar on the way. But here's the problem. I would normally want to land in the UK next, except I know taking their ports will trigger a SOV declaration against my GER allies. The SOV forces are massed on the GER border while my axis partners have NOTHING nearby. The GER and ITA Armies are dithering in their recently conquered Greek and Spanish provinces with no obvious intent to redeploy.

I can't decide whether just to wait 8 months and see if the Axis redeployment for Barbarossa happens. I'm fairly sure if I cause the SOV dow now that they'll be in Berlin before enough axis units get there? Perhaps not?

I'm wondering whether there was a way to make GER keep more focus on their Eastern border with SOV threat or something?
Similar to my restart 36. Very much a walk over, even with the -50% malus on supply throughput, which can be immensely frustrating at times but really didn't do much other than slow me down. I just couldn't be bothered doing the invade UK thing so I just settled back to watch the show. Interestingly enough the Germans contented themselves with some fairly odd maneuvers, brought on by my warmongering ways, such as defeating France in 38, then doing nothing much for a while, and then invading Poland in early 1942, taking the whole country for themselves. I really thought they would declare on Russia soon after but so far they have been content to dither around too, like your situation, leaving the border relatively unguarded. Been like that for a year now. They are at war with Norway but haven't invaded.

As far as I know you really cant do much to change things, since their AI will have divided forces between respective theaters, and obviously both of us have fubared the event chain beyond any hope. Depends on the size of your ground forces but you can confidently take out the UK with just a couple of corps, while assisting the Germans with landings near Leningrad, Rostov and Vlad. Or you could just leave the UK alone for now and concentrate on Russia with a declaration. That would be more interesting I think. And a faster way to conclude, given your ability to amphib all aound the Russian coast. Once Russia is gone then you have essentially won.

For myself I am just going to wait and build an immense high tech carrier fleet, while stationing subs and naval bombers in France to attack UK convoys. Incidentally, naval bombers are hellishly effective against convoys. Much more so than subs.

If you are going to abandon the game then I suggest the June 41 scenario as Russia on very hard. Its nail biting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello everyone,

I’m a long time player, spend quite a bit of time on the forums but i rarely post.
Like the title said, i’m looking for a well detailled guide for Japan. A lot like the very well made Germany take 2 from Misterbean.
If such a guide exists, i would appreciate alot if someone could either post a link, or direct me toward it.

I have seen a few YouTube videos but in them, the player go at it, but they never explain the reasons behind their decisions, something i really enjoyed in Misterbean’s guide.

So thank you in advance.
It depends on how gamey you want to play it. For example, when playing as Japan, it is possible to keep the USA out of the war, knock the UK out of the war, and have nukes built and ready to be launched by late 1943 or early 1944 against the Soviet Union (Japan is either one of the fastest or fastest nation to get nukes because of the strategic benefits that increase their research by a ton!).

• 2Like
Reactions:
The SOV forces are massed on the GER border while my axis partners have NOTHING nearby.
One of the issues which breaks many HOI3 campaigns is that GER tends to send umpteen gazillion divisions into Norway, all supplied (or more accurately, NOT supplied) through one small port. Those armor and mechanized divisions then starve in the mountains in the Norwegian interior until their fighting strength is nil, and so Germany sends MORE divisions to boost the fighting strength in the region. Sometimes, playing an Axis country other than GER, taking the NOR capital for GER can salvage the game, but as Japan, that's no simple matter. I've seen GER with a total of just ONE combat division and several dozen HQs to cover the entire SOV border (the rest of the army was in Norway and Yugoslavia), yet they launched Barbarossa on schedule. Game over for the Axis.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good call on the Norway predicament. GER had declared war on them but did nothing. I stepped in an took the two victory provinces to avoid any future nonsense.

I am sitting on top of a pile of leadership and manpower so I think I will go for a massive extra Army build up. As Mortal Pheonix points out, there's not much left to be researched for a while. It only seems weird because I have barely touched much of my Army since taking China.

As Kovax thinks that GER will do Barbarossa on schedule, I'll just prepare for the next 8 months as if they will. Otherwise try a limited was on SOV and see whether GER decides to join?