• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(97596)

Corporal
1 Badges
Apr 18, 2008
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Author Note: After being inspired by the great story To Live And Die In Dixie by Volga, and some great Mods from CSA Badass, I decided to try my hand at an AAR involving the Confederacy. I intend to follow the history of the CSA, and the personal history of a 19 year old soldier who's part of the Army of Northern Virginia (as he experiences both war and peace in the CSA). In addition, I hope to feature vignettes that introduce you to some of the movers and shakers of the CSA (and maybe even a couple citizens of the good ole' USA will make an appearance from time to time) as history progresses.This first update is in the form of letters and newspaper articles. That's mainly due to the fact that I'm not confident in my ability to chronicle extended battle scenes. A note about the letters here in this first part: The letters are supposed to have been written by a 19 year old Virginia farmboy. That's what led me to spell words like "Your" as "Yoor," and "Kentucky" as "Kentuckee." Don't worry, I'm not illiterate. ;)

Deer Ma,

We hav been sittin here in Staunton for a few weeks now. Marse Robert wants the yanks to come to us instead of the other way around. Pa says he don’t think it will be long before the yankees come down here to Stanton and try and drive us out. We both look forward to the fight. Pa says hi to. Give owr luv to Billy and Mary.

Yoor son,

Virgil

1st Richmond Rifles
Army of Northern Virginia

Deer Ma,

We got our first taste of combat. The bluebellies came down from Manassas and tried to take Staunton. We gave em hell! I know that I keeled at least 6 or 7 my ownself. The Yankees retreated back to Manassas and we might chase after em and drive them out of the state compleetle. I heer that General Forrest and General Johnston have captured southern Kentuckee. Have you herd anything about it? Pa says hi. He wishes he new his letters so as he could write to you to. He keeled a hole mess of yankees too. Hows the farm? Hows Billy and Mary? Give em our love.

Yoor son,

Virgil

1st Richmond Rifles

Excerpt From Richmond Dispatch
January 6, 1862

With the recent victory of General Nathan Bedford Forrest outside of Lexington, the Confederate Army occupies the whole of Kentucky. Although the state has officially remained neutral in this conflict, fierce debate has begun about whether or not to join the Southern cause. Kentucky Governor Beriah Magoffin, and Senator John C. Breckinridge are said to be working in support of secession…..

Excerpts of Letter From Abraham Lincoln To Senator Orville Browning*
I think to lose Kentucky is nearly the same as to lose the whole game. ... We would as well consent to separation at once, including the surrender of the capital.

Excerpt From Richmond Dispatch
March 7, 1862

KENTUCKY SECEDES!​

The people of the state of Kentucky have voted to secede from the United States of America and officially become the 13 state of the Confederacy. The whole of the state has been occupied by the Army of Tennessee and General Forrest’s 2nd Corps since January. The news led to violence in some towns that support the Union cause, and some opponents of secession have promised violent revolts…..

*The Lincoln letter was actually written by President Lincoln. Not me.

An early victory for the Confederates. Lets hope the Union can turn it around :D

Estonianzulu said:
An early victory for the Confederates. Lets hope the Union can turn it around :D

The key to winning the Confederate scenario is to win QUICK. If you let the war drag on long enough for the Union to create a boatload of new units, you're in trouble. If you can keep the Union out of your territory and occupy Kentucky long enough for the to join your cause, you're in good shape.

Thanks for reading. I'll try and keep it interesting for you guys.

President Davis said:
The key to winning the Confederate scenario is to win QUICK. If you let the war drag on long enough for the Union to create a boatload of new units, you're in trouble. If you can keep the Union out of your territory and occupy Kentucky long enough for the to join your cause, you're in good shape.

Yeah, my experience trying the CSA has always ended in failure. It doesn't help that I am a Yankee through and through, so I always root against the Confederates. Makes me a lonely man here in Virginia.

By the way, make sure to make a post in the Ink Well (link in my sig) on the main AAR forum, it can be a great way to get your AAR out there for people to read about (and then read).

Estonianzulu said:
Yeah, my experience trying the CSA has always ended in failure. It doesn't help that I am a Yankee through and through, so I always root against the Confederates. Makes me a lonely man here in Virginia.

By the way, make sure to make a post in the Ink Well (link in my sig) on the main AAR forum, it can be a great way to get your AAR out there for people to read about (and then read).

Thanks for the advice. I just made me Ink Well post.

As for the game, it took me a lot of tries, and a lot of frustration before I was finally able to get the Union to the negotiating table. It can be done. Even if you're rooting for the North. ;)

Thanks for reading.

Nice terse style thus far. Succeeding as the CSA is pleasantly difficult. At least in the beginning.

TheConfederateWhiteHouse.jpg

Richmond, VA.
March 4, 1862

General Robert E. Lee stood in President Jefferson Davis’s office in the Confederate White House. The two men consulted a map spread out on the president’s desk.

“Divisions are being pulled from General McClelland’s arms to help stall the advances General’s Forrest and Johnston have made in the west,” Lee said to the president.

Jeff Davis’s face creased into a smile. “It really is remarkable what those two have been able to do in Kentucky. Forrest is trying to pressure me into letting him cross the river and invade Southern Ohio. If troops are being sent out west like you say, it may be fool hardy to venture into Ohio. We could be biting off more than we can chew”

“Indeed, sir,” Lee replied. I think we would have a better chance of crossing the Rappahannock and going at the newly diminished Army of the Potomac.”

Davis let his jaw drop noticeably. “You mean make a headlong run for Washington City?’

“Yes, sir. At this point, the Army of Northern Virginia has the Army of the Potomac outnumbered. My plan is to send General Jackson into Maryland’s panhandle and take Fredrick to protect my western flank. At the same time, my men and I would run straight at McClelland and see what comes of it.”

Davis stroked his whiskered chin as he considered his general’s proposal. Lee, looking resplendent in his gray uniform, waited patiently for the commander-in-chief of the Confederate military.

“You’re confident you can beat the Federal fortifications?’

“I am, sir.”

“General, I give you credit for your boldness. If anyone can take Washington City, it’s you and your men. You have my approval and my blessing. Good luck.”

Washington, D.C.
March 9, 1862

Abraham Lincoln looked out of his bedroom window into the darkness. The Army of Northern Virginia was within ten miles of the city limits. Earlier, Lincoln stood outside to bid his wife Mary and son Tad goodbye as they evacuated the city. As he did so, he could hear the sounds of battle from the other side of the Potomac River. Now aides and the army were forcing Lincoln to evacuate as well. He had wanted to stay, because he thought it would damage the morale of soldiers in Washington to see their president run away. However, it became apparent that it would be foolhardy to remain in a city being invaded by a foreign army.

“Mr. President.”

Lincoln turned to see a young colonel standing in the doorway.

“We must go now, sir.”

The president somberly nodded. “Your men have made sure that we have room for the staff?’ Lincoln was talking about the handful of black butlers and maids who kept the White House ticking. None of them wanted to be in town if the Rebs made captured it. Lincoln had insisted that he would only evacuate if the house staff went with him.

“Yes, sir, the staff is ready to go.”

The president of the United States grabbed his stovepipe hat and followed the colonel downstairs to the waiting carriage.

“Tell me, young man,” Lincoln said. “Do you think our armies and our forts will keep General Lee’s army out of the city?’

The soldier sighed. “I hope to hel…Sorry, sir. I sure hope so.”

Lincoln’s face turned up into a melancholy smile. “I didn’t ask if you hoped we would hold the city. I asked if you think we will.”

“I just don’t know, sir.”

On the north lawn of the White House soldiers dug a makeshift fortification that would be used to defend the White House. The army was determined not to let the Capital and the White House burn as they had in 1814.

Lincoln folded his gangly frame into the carriage that waited for him. As he did, one of the large guns in one of several forts around Washington opened up. That was a sure sign that the Confederate army was getting closer to the city.

“I did everything I could to preserve our Union,” Lincoln said sadly. “In the end…Everything was not enough.” He lowered his head, his eyes wet with tears, as the carriage began to move.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound so good for the North. Indeed, it appears that things might be lost.

Something certainly has gone wrong for the Union... eagerly awaiting the next update to see exactly what has gone wrong! Great Work here!
Rob

Oh I wish I was in the land o' Cotton
Good times there are not forgotten.

Arg, the Union is in trouble. Lets hope Lee's plan backfires :D

I loved the description of Lincoln leaving, it will be interesting to see how he, and the Republicans, get through the war (if they even do).

Excellent! Love a good CSA AAR :)

Author's Note: Thank you, everybody, for the generous praise. I definitely appreciate all of the friendly comments.Also, thanks for the comment, Volga. iI was inspired by your two great CSA stories.

Deer Ma

I don’t know if you heard yet but I have sad news. Pa was killed during the battle for Washington city. I didn’t see it happen but my buddy Bedford Joyner sed pa was stabbed in the gut by a Yankee with a bayonet. He died before they could get him to a doctor.

. They say if we keep lickin the bluebellies like we’ve been doing that we might be home in time for the fall harvest. I hope they’re right. Now that pa is gone, I want to be home with you and Bill and Mary. I seen enough war to last me the rest of my natural born days.

Your son

Virgil

1st Richmond Rifles

Washington, D.C.
March 14, 1862

Small fires still burned in Washington two days after the fighting had ended. The battle for the capital city of the United States had been hard fought. In the end, the Union soldiers had been driven out by the Army of Northern Virginia. Currently, the city was being occupied by General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson’s 3rd Corps. Lee’s army had continued north to pursue the retreating Army of the Potomac.

Confederate President Jefferson Davis walked down Pennsylvania Avenue with General Jackson. Not many civilians were left in the city. However, Davis did see people standing on sidewalks, or front lawns watching him as he made his way through the city. Some greeted him warmly. There were Confederate sympathizers even here in the heart of the Union. Still others looked at him scornfully, or just cast their eyes downward as he walked by.

Despite the fact that slavery was legal in Washington, Davis thought about the fact that he had seen not one black face since entering the city. Had they all run off before the CS army could take control?

“Mr. President?’

Davis realized that General Jackson was speaking to him.

“I’m sorry, General, what was that?’

“Would you like to tour the White House?’

The White House had been acting as Jackson’s headquarters since the occupation. During the fight for the city, the Army of Northern Virginia had received strict orders from General Lee himself not to destroy the White House, the Capitol Building, or the Washington Monument.

“Yes, General,” Davis said. “I would very much like to tour the White House.”

The two men and their entourage walked down the street, and soon the executive mansion came into view. Davis had visited the home before, during his tenure as President Pierce’s secretary of war. However, it was completely different now that he was visiting as the leader of an enemy nation.

The president looked at the small handful of captured Union soldiers on the south lawn as he and Jackson walked up the drive to the home’s south portico. Under the watchful eyes of their Confederate captors, the Union men dug graves for soldiers in both blue and gray uniforms.

Inside, Davis and Jackson walked through the rooms on the first two floors of the White House.

The East Room of the White House had been a multi-purpose room that had served many functions to presidents and their families over the years. John Adams and his wife had hung laundry there. During the presidency of their son John Quincy, the room housed a pet alligator. Davis had attended social gatherings there while secretary of war under Franklin Pierce’s Administration. More recently, Union soldiers garrisoned at the White House had been quartered in the room.

Now, President Davis looked at a room filled with Confederate soldiers recovering from wounds that they received during the fight for the city. Many were without arms, or legs. They moaned, called out for their mothers, or for a doctor.. Still others did not move or speak at all.

“I shall visit those men later, General,” Davis said. “If I did it now, I fear I could bear to do nothing more afterward.”

“I understand sir,” Jackson replied. The general took Davis to the second floor of the house and showed the president the rooms that had acted as the living and office quarters of Abraham Lincoln.

“Here, sir,” Jackson said, “Is said to be the office Mr. Lincoln himself used.”

Davis walked in slowly. No lamps burned in the room. Only a tiny bit of sunlight filtered in through the drapes. The president looked around the room, trying to take in every detail. Maps of the eastern and western fronts covered the walls. Davis studied a map of Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware. It had marks on it in denoting both Union and Confederate troop positions. The positions, of course, were already a week out of date.

A large desk, stacked with newspapers, sat in the middle of the room. On either side of the desk sat wicker baskets that overflowed with waste paper. Davis looked back at General Jackson who still stood in the door way.

“Apparently, Mr. Lincoln was not a tidy man.” The comment drew an appreciative chuckle from the usually stoic Confederate general.

The president walked behind the desk. “And this must have been President Lincoln’s chair.” Davis pulled the chair out and sat down. The President of the Confederate States of America sat there with his legs crossed, and his hands folded neatly on the desk. His eyes seemed to lose focus, and a serious expression crossed his face. To Jackson, it seemed almost as if the president were day dreaming.

After several seconds, the president stood back up. “Ok, General,” he said, “let’s go and visit a spell with those wounded boys downstairs.”

A sweet little victory for Davis.

Sitting in Lincoln's chair? A haughty move for Davis.

Ahhhh I do love a good CSA AAR. I remember when Victoria first came out and people were complaining about the CSA AARs filling up the forum. My how those days have gone but it's always enjoyable to read one. Like the format President Davis. Also I did enjoy the scenes with Lincoln's evacuation and Davis's tour of the White House. Nicely written, sir!

Do you intend just to cover the battle or perhaps go on and carry the CSA through the years to follow?

Anyway, update soon.