Locked chinese divisions in WIF2

• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Paradox Space Exploration Sale has arrived! Up to 75% off

How's the space on your hard drive? Paradox wants to challenge your galaxy brain with a great selection of space exploration games - and they're all on sale for some very down-to-earth prices! The sale runs from May 4th until May 10th at 17:00 CEST / 08:00 PDT.

May 4th - May 10th
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Eugenioso

General
6 Badges
Sep 15, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities: Skylines
I got a problem with the mod. China starts with about 100 divisions locked into position without the ability to move them or unlock them. What event triggers them being able to move? The 'fifth encirclement campaign' event never happened (i assume because the germans withdrew their support), i cant move armies anywhere and i cant build anything either due to the crazy dissent im getting. What the eff?

Altruist

Captain
9 Badges
Sep 13, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris
Played EoD. There the unlock event came late.
My memory seems to be a bit lacking and I played EoD, based upon WiF, so it might or might not have been very similar.

I "managed" the communists in the 4th encirclement which fired right away at the 2nd day (always).
The locked units were still locked 1st Jan 1934, also still in April 34 at which time I had worked down all the warlord/unification events.
Unfortunately I have no saves for the following months until Feb 1935: then those units are unlocked, so the unlock event happened sometime inbetween.
And if I remember correctly, I wasn't able to see a direct conncetion to something that happened before, so I guess there might be quite a time-randomizer within the unlock-event.

So, at least in my case playing EoD, the locked units weren't able to take part in all the tricky events until then: communists, warlords but only became available... when you don't really need them anymore.
The 'fifth encirclement campaign' event never happened (i assume because the germans withdrew their support), i cant move armies anywhere and i cant build anything either due to the crazy dissent im getting. What the eff?
At least with EoD, playing national China was really tricky. Or in other words: the difficulty level of the first months is insane. It gets better and easier then.

I got the impression you really need to defeat the communists within the 4th encirclement or you are doomed. As much as I was sad not to see this way all those events connected with the long march. You "only" need to conquere the communists' victory point regions, difficult enough in the very short time you got for that (roughly a month). So, on the very first day, before the midnight tick and TC-load becomes a nightmare, I strat-deployed many units to several provinces (some successfully, some not because those provinces were conquered immediatly by the communists). If you manage to stop the communists from connecting their areas, it really helps because you might be able to conquere some of their supply depots. I think it took me 3 or 4 tries until I managed it, by then I was fully aware that really every day counts and additionally to the initial strat-deploy I also used the lone transporter to bring units to Fuzhou and Xiamen. The communist forces are vastly stronger and faster than the national forces, so you always need overwhelming odds. While strat-deploy surely makes your TC-load even worse, it is that bad that it doesn't really matter. The trick, though, perhaps a bit gamey, the units you strat-deployed on the first day are still using your initial TC-load for determining arrival date. And even if they arrive with low org, much better than having no units there. And I really found no other way how to beat the communists in the short time of the 4th encirclement.

Right away I also felt the need to disband quite some units to save on supplies, especially I disbanded some of the expensive blocked units (that's possible even when you can't move them) or at least most of their brigades. Even then you are forced to sell and trade away (incl. blueprints) whatever you can for supplies. It is tedious and only after a while I realized that it is, of course, better not to disband but to trade away units for cash and supplies. Otherwise I'd had run out on supplies already within the first 20-40 days. The gamey version of trading away units is to trade away blocked units to the warlords which means you'll have a chance to get them back (if the warlord doesn't choose war instead of unification). But I realized this option rather late and did it only with a lone cav-unit (which was good because it showed me that this units remain locked even for other players/countries).

Every popping up event has to be taken not by what is best but what lowers your dissent the most... or raises it the least. You start, if I remember correctly, already with 40% dissent, it will go even higher than that shortly afterwards, you also get -50% IC while at war (starting with the war against the communists). This leaves you with 3 IC. Apart form the low amount needed for consumer goods, everything needs to go into producing supplies. Really every single daily produced supply helps.

After the communists are done, one can start with getting down the dissent. Some events will help. And everything will get, well, not easy but easier.

The good thing: China really starts with a lot of land units, so you can afford to disband/trade away some of the expensive ones. And even until now, in 1939, I haven't built a single inf or any other land-units except militia>garrisons to guard the coastal areas.

So, if WiF is somehow as difficult as I found EoD, I'd recommend to restart until you manage to beat the communists in the 4th encirclement. And if you manage National China to become a power otherwise, I am really keen to hear how you did it and would be highly interested to see you write some lines about it.

PS: The German support withdrawn I thought connected with the historic disaster of the 2nd Sino-Japanese war starting in 1937. In my case I beat the Japanese, got nevertheless the event "National armies shatterered" but the German advisor and trade pacts weren't withdrawn.

Last edited:
Reactions:

Eugenioso

General
6 Badges
Sep 15, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities: Skylines
I found the answer. Apparently the trigger's not working for China because i need a german event for the fifth encirclement campaign to trigger and then you get a series of events that simulate hunting down the communists before they escape north. After that you get the Warlord problem event and have to either war and annex or peacefully annex the cliques and finally Tibet. Once tibet is down the 70 locked divs become yours.