Livy Update and Free Punic Wars Content Pack Coming Soon!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HottestRod

Associate Product Marketing Manager
May 14, 2018
Generic_Livy_PunicWars_1200x630.png

We have worked quite diligently since our Cicero Update! The Livy Update is making progress and along it will come the free Punic Wars Content Pack! We shall now go back to building an even greater Rome! More information below!

Punic Wars Content Pack

When the rulers of Messana invited Roman protection for their Sicilian city, they could not have expected that they were igniting a fierce rivalry that would set the Western Mediterranean aflame for over a century. Carthage had traditionally seen Sicily as its sphere of influence and it could accept no equal on the island. Rome and Carthage would go to war in 265 BC, in the first of three wars that would finally end with the sack of Carthage in 146 BC.

This free content pack for Imperator: Rome includes new events and units models to illustrate the greatest wars of the classical age - the superpower showdown between the nascent Roman Republic, and the established Carthaginian Empire.

The Punic Wars content pack includes:
  • Roman Mission Pack: Ten unique mission trees for the star of Imperator: Rome to guide your conquest of Italy and neighboring regions.
  • Carthaginian Mission Pack: Ten unique mission trees for the children of Tyre to help you plan your mercantile and military dominance of Africa, Spain and the rest of the west.
  • Numidian Unit Model: New army model for the Numidians, North Africans often hired as mercenaries by larger powers.
  • Carthaginian Ship Model: A unique ship design for Carthaginian navies.
  • New Music: Three additional music tracks to soothe your conquering soul.

Imperator: Rome 1.3 - the Livy Update

The most recent update to Imperator: Rome is named for Titus Livius, the Roman historian whose work was the foundation of schoolboy learning well into the modern age. His wrote stories about heroic Romans like Horatius, Camillus and Decius laying the foundation of a great city, providing role models for centuries.

The Free 1.3 Livy Update to Imperator: Rome is also concerned with characters and how they create lasting legacies, drawing you into the drama of history being written before your eyes.

• Character Experience System: The more characters are asked to do, the better they become. Cultivate young talent as they climb the ranks, with new events for experienced statesmen.
  • Family System Reworked: Fewer families to track, but great families are more important. Watch their fortunes rise and fall as they accumulate prestige.
  • Procedurally Generated Missions: New mission system produces contextual goals and rewards that reflect your current situation.
  • Improved Map: Greater detail for some map locations including Sicily, the British Isles, parts of Greece and the Baltic region.
  • Map Mode Manager: New map mode manager lets you customize the manager menu so it emphasizes maps you rely on.
  • Inferno Graphics: The drama of war is now illustrated on map, as cities burn while under attack.
  • And much more: The Livy add-on will include other changes that will be announced in coming weeks.

Why is it called a content pack if it's free? Isn't it then just part of the update?
EDIT: I don't know why people are disagreeing with this, the nomenclature doesn't make any sense

Last edited:
Nice!! I like all of these features. The content pack being free was unexpected.

If future content packs will be just missions and some visuals, I'll gladly pass on them ...

Why is it called a content pack if it's free? Isn't it then just part of the update?
Yeah, I have to ditto this one.

I'm confused when Paradox and other companies call some of their free updates as free DLC. Is it just a marketing thing?

I'm confused when Paradox and other companies call some of their free updates as free DLC. Is it just a marketing thing?
Supposedly, it's marketing and then they also announced a content pack for 1.3. They probably backed down on asking money for it because of the player numbers.

I think it's a not-so-subtle reminder that they are dishing out additional content free-of-charge. So, yes, it's good PR. And I appreciate it is as a gesture from PDX to fans -- a token of good will for sticking with them after the big belly-flop launch.

Roman Mission Pack: Ten unique mission trees for the star of Imperator: Rome to guide your conquest of Italy and neighboring regions.
This sound like the claims already in the game, in mission form, so probably something that should be free and make more unique missions for Rome as dlc material.

Edit: I did not see it was free but if this was a paid pack it would be pretty lackluster but it depend on its cost.

If future content packs will be just missions and some visuals, I'll gladly pass on them ...
It is like 20 mission in total for two nations which is not impressive even for a content pack.

Marketing? They basically give out something we would otherwise have to pay for which is a kind gesture.

Last edited:
Very nice hopefully it will add depth the game. Enjoying this and looking forward for a great impact of characters in the overall game experience.

Great stuff! Sounds like the game will become pretty solid with this update. Mission trees and character experience are two great improvements. The content pack also sounds great - I will certainly be doing at least one playthrough of both Rome and Carthage on release.

Nice to see more updates and content. New units and Mission packs :). More live into the map is always nice to see. Regarding to Mission pack only for Rome and Carthagians? What is the difference between Mission packs - Generated Missions?

Smart move making the content pack free, IMO. Hopefully will help to rebuild the player base.

For people wondering why it's a free content pack and not part of the patch - check the roadmap. The plan was always to have a minor DLC alongside this patch. The team very wisely have decided to make that DLC a freebie. It's content that was originally planed to be sold that is now being given for free instead.

Paradox have been fairly consistent, moreso in recent times, in what type of content is free vs. paid for. The stuff in the free content pack is more towards the latter, so I don't mind it being described as free. Yeah it's marketing but that doesn't necessarily make it inaccurate.