• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Archael90

Field Marshal
18 Badges
Nov 30, 2017
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Majesty 2
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Suppose I play an incredibly friendly society that cares for the well-being of all citizens, but I care that everyone is taught psionic skills (like schooling), so I set default laws as assimilation and the standard of living as a transcendental awakening. Nothing but ... Populations that without this mode are citizens with an extremely high standard of living, and after awakening citizens have a very high standard of living, and yet in the process they are treated like animals. In addition, if I want them to have a high standard of living, I have to do it manually, because the default settings reset this option, even if it was previously set from the very beginning.
In an extremely friendly society, where even the unemployed have a high standard of living, are philosophers and support the society, suddenly it turns out that so far happy citizens are starting to live at the bottom of society.

At the moment, this causes two problems:
1. Reduces the immersion.
2. It adds a lot of micro, because regardless of whether you set some specific rights or assimilation by default, you have to do it manually with each genre - if you set the default assimilation, you must manually set citizenship and standard of living. If citizenship and living standards are set by default, you have to set the assimilation manually.

I would like to suggest that assimilation is not a form of citizenship, but an additional option along with a kind of assimilation. Any kind of assimilation has its drawbacks, different impact on happiness, could further increase the requirements for consumer goods or anything, but that they do not overwrite the established rights of citizenship and standard of living.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Refreshing because that botehrs me a lot :(

• 1Like
Reactions:
Agreed. It's one of the things that makes synth ascension better than the others; you don't need to manually set rights for every assimilated subspecies in the empire.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Right now i have more than 200 species templates in empire, that are constanly generated by AI empires, so i have no controll over it.
Putting deafult rights t oassimilations means i have to constanly go to the species tab, and check all templates if they have decent conditions living standard and change it to social welfare.
If i put citizen rights with social welfare as default, i have to constantly check those templates and put into assimilations all that are not psionics. And having lot of gaia planets, ringworlds, and ecumenopolises means that if i do not do it every year, they will pile up so much that putting one template of 40 new pops to assimilations, means that unemployed event shows up.
This tedeus micro can be easly done by removing "assimilation" from "citizenship" rights, to newly created "assimilation" right, where player would choose options like:
- "Disable"
- "Identity Sublimation"
- "Transubstantiation Synthesis"
- "Hive Dissociation"
- "Transcendent Awakening"
And both citizenship, and living standards will be not change.

P.S. also - allow cybernetics to be transcendentally awaken... its weird that synth ascending empires can have cybernetic psionics, but transcendant empires cant have psionic cyborgs...

• 2Like
Reactions:
I hope that custodians will look at this at least :(

Yeah Assimilation is in a weird spot as a citizenship type, I hope they can make it non intrusive and then run gene, robo-modding through the same system.

Medical workers should also increase the rate of assimilation and modding

• 2Like
Reactions:
And especially now, when gene modding become so tidious and frustrating

• 1Like
Reactions:
Indeed.
It could look like this.
assimilation.png

And work according to the rules outlined here.

To be honest this has bothered me from the very start. Assimilation should never have been a living standard,

• 9Like
Reactions:
Not helped by the game having a sea of species, becoming a flood with subspecies and a deluge with Xeno-Compatability.

Refreshing this is qol, immersion and just fun feature. I cant believe its not part of the game already.

Indeed.
It could look like this.
assimilation.png

And work according to the rules outlined here.

To be honest this has bothered me from the very start. Assimilation should never have been a living standard,
I would make the settings be:
None
Allowed
Encouraged
Mandatory

"None" works for "there is no way to assimilate" while "Prohibited" when it is impossible makes no sense.

Hive mind empires might be locked in at "Mandatory" or "None" (with purge). But I could see the intermediate steps being interesting; some percent of the population might choose to join the Hive.

Reactions:
But I could see the intermediate steps being interesting; some percent of the population might choose to join the Hive.
That one would be great. Hive existing simultaneously with individuals, who wish to become part of hive.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Necrophage provides a solution to this and it's already in the game: a building with some jobs that mutate the pops in a useful way.

Nobody is treated like livestock, a small minority are unproductive for a little while, and lifestyle is upheld (good or bad).

Moreover, it applies changes over time instead of all at once, so it might feel more plausible to the RP'er in me.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Necrophage provides a solution to this and it's already in the game: a building with some jobs that mutate the pops in a useful way.

Nobody is treated like livestock, a small minority are unproductive for a little while, and lifestyle is upheld (good or bad).

Moreover, it applies changes over time instead of all at once, so it might feel more plausible to the RP'er in me.
And a continuous automated conversion sounds much, MUCH more comfortable than having to manually convert species after species after species after sub-species.

• 1Like
Reactions:

This is what Gene Clinics should exist for

• 2Like
Reactions:
Another major problem with assimilating pop is that pops waiting to be assimilated currently always sit around doing nothing, because pops waiting for assimilation can't work, and assimilation proceeds at a fixed rate, so a large number of pops that need to be assimilated on the same planet end up in a years-long queue doing nothing.

Upshot of this... if you have a couple hundred pops of a single species, concentrated on a few planets... switching that species to assimilation immediately causes you to lose several planets worth of economic output for years. To make matters worse, you can't change it back for 10 years. I've accidentally obliterated my economy this way before by applying assimilation to all pops in my empire by accident, and I never recovered from it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Also. What about egalitarians? They totally should not FORCE everyone to assimilate, especially fanatic egalitarians. They (Egalitarians) should be able to assimilate but only by slight encourage through massmedia, and f.egal should be only allow for assimilation but every pop should choose it by themselves. Right now it feels just weird that people are forced into suicide to transfer their consciousness (or put brain in a jar) in egalitarian society where everyone should have total freedom of what they do.

Also. What about egalitarians? They totally should not FORCE everyone to assimilate, especially fanatic egalitarians. They (Egalitarians) should be able to assimilate but only by slight encourage through massmedia, and f.egal should be only allow for assimilation but every pop should choose it by themselves. Right now it feels just weird that people are forced into suicide to transfer their consciousness (or put brain in a jar) in egalitarian society where everyone should have total freedom of what they do.
But if we let pops go unassimilated, they will be less equal!

Heh, seriously, I do see your point. Though I might be inclined to make it a faction issue, and not a strict ethics restriction.

But if we let pops go unassimilated, they will be less equal!

Heh, seriously, I do see your point. Though I might be inclined to make it a faction issue, and not a strict ethics restriction.
Either way - option for that SHOULD be available.
Assimilation should be a specific species option, totally separtated from citizenship and living standards.

Reactions: