• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hope the next stream has a better gameplay:talking ratio. I get wanting to convey the tactical depth of the game to someone completely unfamiliar with the franchise, but this was really a glorified interview. I really don't think that having the player engage in lengthy dialogues with the devs (which then constantly ended with a comment about how long things were taking, which someone unfamiliar with the game could blame on the game) does nearly as much for selling the game as actually getting to see the game in action, and in over an hour they didn't even make it to turn 7 in a game that aims for 30 minute matches.

Last edited:
Oh for the love of.... Only managed to catch the last five-ten minutes :(

How quick are these Paradox guys with YouTube uploads in general?
It tends to vary. It might take a day or two though, since they're still uploading the 12 hour surviving mars livestream pieces and the EUiv dev clash.

The twitch VOD should be viewable though. Fair warning, though, the dev clash VOD had several metric tons of advertising for 'Dad of War'. Lots of interruptions.

Last edited:
I hope the next stream has a better gameplay:talking ratio. I get wanting to convey the tactical depth of the game to someone completely unfamiliar with the franchise, but this was really a glorified interview. I really don't think that having the player engage in lengthy dialogues with the devs (which then constantly ended with a comment about how long things were taking, which someone unfamiliar with the game could blame on the game) does nearly as much for selling the game as actually getting to see the game in action, and in over and hour they didn't even make it to turn 7 in a game that aims for 30 minute matches.
Solid Point.

While I would like to see today's format continued on a weekly basis because it engages a very important audience... maybe we can convince HBS/Paradox to let @HBS_Eck start up a second weekly series that has he and another gamer, hopefully one of the Paradox Streamers engage in a single, knockdown, drag-out Skirmish Match. While comments and decisions would be briefly shared, they would not be the main focus and would not slow down gameplay. The intent would be to finish the match in the intended 30-45 minute timeframe. The remainder of the hour could be given over to Twitch Q&A ABOUT THE MATCH. : )

I know @HBS_Eck's time is precious, especially here in crunch-time. But such a show as above would appeal to an audience that is markedly different than the current @cKnoor Thursday BATTLETECH streams. And after a point the Marketing Value of such an advanced stream may be worth the time and effort on HBS, Paradox and @HBS_Eck part. (Plus Eck is a gaming hero of mine, the reigning HBS PvP Champion and someone, who with the right opponent, could successfully pull this off. :cool: )

Plus over the coming weeks it would be possible to see gamers-new-to-BattleTech progress from @cKnoor's stream to @HBS_Eck's, getting interested enough and conversant enough to really enjoy both, building their own excitment and helping to spread the good Big and Stompy word.

Hey, this is just an idea I wold like to throw out there for discussion and to spark other, better ideas. :bow:

And as ever, good luck and good gaming!

@cKnoor is really impressing me on the stream. He has clearly done his BATTLETECH homework and is easily conversant on game mechanics, setting the stage very impressively for Jordan and Connor (aka @HBS_CaptKerberos) to weight in on Combat Tactics and BATTLETECH Strategies. : ) Nicely done one and all! :bow:
Yeah, he has had some practice with streaming and youtube after all. Think he has been playing Blood Bowl and putting it up on youtube for 7, maybe 8, years now... even made a pretty extensive "how to play Blood Bowl" series as well... he has also for atleast 5 years been streaming Blood Bowl on Twitch almost every single week too I think it is. TotalBiscuit even invited him to take part in, commentate on, and teach some of the players, for TB's Blood Bowl tournament that they some 5 years ago.

So yeah... cKnoor has some experience with things like this I think. XD

Think I have been subbed to him for atleast 6 years now on youtube, and followed him on twitch a bit less then that.

Will this be available somewhere for me to watch after work?

Will this be available somewhere for me to watch after work?
Paradox's twitch channel should have the VOD (under the videos tab) now, their YouTube channel somewhat later. Tomorrow maybe? (It is after work hours for them at this point, but they might have started the process )

I hope the next stream has a better gameplay:talking ratio. I get wanting to convey the tactical depth of the game to someone completely unfamiliar with the franchise, but this was really a glorified interview. I really don't think that having the player engage in lengthy dialogues with the devs (which then constantly ended with a comment about how long things were taking, which someone unfamiliar with the game could blame on the game) does nearly as much for selling the game as actually getting to see the game in action, and in over an hour they didn't even make it to turn 7 in a game that aims for 30 minute matches.

I think at this point if they are going to do a simple streams to introduce mechanics and such they should have the guy play with two commentators, one being analytical, one being color.

It's might be a way to let the player play fast, while the others can give information and entertainment respectively.

Loved that we finally got some streaming BT action!!! But was sad the pace was so brutally slow, not high octane enough for new viewers to get hyped I think. Just my opinion.

I was not sure what to expect from the stream. Once I adjusted to the idea that it was for marketing and aimed at the folks who had never played the Beta then I could enjoy it for what it was. The game looks absolutely beautiful!

I was hoping for a release date but they put that to rest right out of the gate so I did not watch the whole stream and feel disappointed that it did not happen. Good approach. I am looking forward to next Thursday already.

Agreeing with the collective here - I liked the tone and rapport, but it would be best if the active player just did things and we had commentary on top of that.

Push the pace and unleash the 'splosions.

Edit - oh, and the game itself has seen a lot of advances in the UI and the visuals. It was very impressive and polished looking with the UI and the tooltips now honed to a very fine edge.

For early streams conversation and going over basics is the most important thing. If we tried to rush through it we'd get comments about going to fast. There needs to be a solid base of understanding core concepts before you can talk about other things like the mech lab or the campaign. Besides, the stream was never about finishing the game, but to be able to talk about as many basic mechanics as possible. Now that we've done that we can move on to topics that might be more interesting to experienced Battletech players.

I think at this point if they are going to do a simple streams to introduce mechanics and such they should have the guy play with two commentators, one being analytical, one being color.

It's might be a way to let the player play fast, while the others can give information and entertainment respectively.
Playing fast means you miss things in case you don't know what's going on. But once basic concept have been presented we can move on to more advanced stuff. In this case each turn was kind of important. Moving other mechs while talking would have been more confusing, especially when you want to convey that every mech matters.

In general I think this stream went pretty well, the plan is to keep the format going for a few more streams before moving over to show more campaign stuff. Oh and thanks for the kind words. :)

Oh and I just checked the Youtube schedule, the stream will be on the ParadoxExtra channel tomorrow 17:00 CET. Until then the VOD is available on Twitch for those that missed it.

Yeah, he has had some practice with streaming and youtube after all...
No doubt. :bow:

As this was my first opportunity see cKnoor in action, I did not know what to expect. It surprised me not at all that he was as accomplished as he was professional a Twitch Streamer.

The wild card for me was just how much BattleTech, and more importantly BATTLETECH understanding he had going into this first BATTLETECH stream from him.

Very early on, he proved imo to be reassuringly practiced and proficient. : )

He even called out later in the Stream that he was quite knowledgeable and simply working toward his role of helping call out game mechanisms and considerations for Jordan and Conner to elaborate on.

Well done. All around WELL DONE indeed!

The stream did a great job explaining the basic mechanics, especially some things that might not be immediately obvious to a new player, like the difference between Cover and an Obstructed Shot. There really is a lot that players need to know about the game to play well. Some will be obvious to BT veterans, but could be missed by new players.

Loved the new map.
Love the weapon details pop up.
True Stalker is gorgeous, but I still like the waddling Chibi Stalker.

Looking forward to more streams. These are planned to be weekly now?

There really is a lot that players need to know about the game to play well. Some will be obvious to BT veterans, but could be missed by new players.
Both Jordan and cKnoor mentioned that the basic controls of the game is really easy to learn - you just jump right in and start moving and firing with each 'Mech in turn. But they also said what you say, that if you want to play well, oh boy is there a lot of stuff to consider :)

... Isn't it April soon? :)