LIVE - BATTLETECH Update 1.2.1 and Linux Beta Release Notes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HBS_Comanche

Sergeant
1 Badges
Feb 23, 2018
  • Harebrained Schemes Staff
Welcome to BATTLETECH 1.2.1! This release contains a hotfix for various issues related to lances with custom ‘Mechs. Separately, the Linux version is also now available as a Beta!

Live Update 1.2.1

Issues surrounding custom ‘Mechs should be resolved. Specifically, if you had created a custom Mech or a lance including a custom ‘Mech in Skirmish, there were several issues with loading into the Skirmish lobby list, editing a custom lance, or changing custom ‘Mech names, these issues should all be resolved with this update.

Linux Beta

The Linux version of BATTLETECH is now available in Beta on Steam only! When it goes live, it will release on all supported distribution platforms. If you are a Linux Steam user interested in participating in this Beta, you can opt-in to the "public_beta_linux" branch on Steam. It contains the Linux platform and a number of small bugfixes.

Warning: If you are moving from Win/Mac games in progress to the Linux Beta, we advise that you back up your save games. You should also not expect to be able to move a saved game back from the Linux Beta to the current live Win/Mac version. However, when the Linux version goes live, a saved game created in the Beta should be forward compatible.

Multiplayer Warning: Both Beta and Live version players will be able to see each other in multiplayer lobbies. If Beta and non-Beta players try to join each other’s games, they will get a version mismatch error. BATTLETECH only supports multiplayer games between players using the same version of the game.

Linux Known Issues

• Typed characters are being doubled when naming a 'Mech or a Lance.

• Some menus may be extra light or extra dark depending on the system’s set screen resolution.

• Hyperlinks are not functional on SteamOS.

• Logging into a Paradox account always ends in a failure on the first attempt on SteamOS.

• Multiplayer on SteamOS has intermittent connection issues (better as host than joiner).

• Refreshing the save game list can sometimes hang on the main menu. Restarting the game should fix the issue.

IMPORTANT: Additional note for players who mod various game files… Reminder that modding is not officially supported. If you have saved a game with any mod active, that saved game will not work after an update has been applied unless you replace all modded files exactly as they were when the save game file was created. Saved games require the exact same data state in order to function properly.

As always, if you experience further issues please contact Customer Support at: https://support.paradoxplaza.com

I am curious to see if we get some tools to allow modding cross platform...

Quick edit, not from HBS but from the modding community get the tools for modding.

I am curious to see if we get some tools to allow modding cross platform...

Quick edit, not from HBS but from the modding community get the tools for modding.
Yeah, when I was first working on a mod manager, I was doing all the development on my Linux system. Sadly, life circumstances suddenly required that I not spend so much time on it. Also sadly, the mod manager that's out there was written in C#, which is about the least cross-platform friendly language in existence (gee... thanks Microsoft!). Of course, the game was written in C# too, so it's certainly possible to shoe-horn it into being cross-platform.

In any case, I understand the nuts and bolts of programming enough that I expect to be able to help... just not as often as I might like. (TIME! Where has my time gone?!?)

As a bonus, since Macs have run on a version of BSD Unix under the hood since version 10, progress made for making mods all compatible with Linux should actually be 95-99% of the work for getting it running on the Mac also.

Thank You. That is a good news indeed.

I got a question about Linux Beta. I bought Battletech at kickstarter and I choose Humble Bundle store. Will beta be on Steam store only?

Thank You. That is a good news indeed.

I got a question about Linux Beta. I bought Battletech at kickstarter and I choose Humble Bundle store. Will beta be on Steam store only?
Per the OP Linux Beta is Steam only.

Yay! Finally the Linux version has arrived! Download is running.

Also sadly, the mod manager that's out there was written in C#, which is about the least cross-platform friendly language in existence (gee... thanks Microsoft!).
What now? There is Mono (supported by Microsoft in the meantime). Mono has also been the way chosen by Unity to get their engine supported on non-Windows platforms (and that has been the case for quite some time).

Yay! Finally the Linux version has arrived! Download is running.

What now? There is Mono (supported by Microsoft in the meantime). Mono has also been the way chosen by Unity to get their engine supported on non-Windows platforms (and that has been the case for quite some time).
Yes, however; that doesn't mean the fans that make the not-official mod manager are going to get it to work with mono.

My concern was for a simple to use system like BTML which allowed for just drag and drop modding.

Does an official repository for Linux beta issues and questions exist yet? If it does, I have not been able to find it. I have had major problems (far beyond the known issues from the release notes) since install that have made the game practically unplayable.

Does an official repository for Linux beta issues and questions exist yet? If it does, I have not been able to find it. I have had major problems (far beyond the known issues from the release notes) since install that have made the game practically unplayable.
I suggest you use the bug reports forum and prefix your report with "Linux Beta issue:".

I suggest you use the bug reports forum and prefix your report with "Linux Beta issue:".

As I was trying to recreate and summarize the gamebreaking issues (which were centered around not being able to save games), I noticed that, for whatever reason, they all just disappeared within the scope of a couple of hours.

If I have further specific issues, I will do as you request--thank you.

It's running extremely well on my (Arch Nvidia native runtime) system! I can't wait for stable release; I was bought the game at launch but I have only Linux on my PC and couldn't play it without dealing with its glitchy interactions with Wine.

Exactly.

And unlike basically every other programming language in existence, Mono is absolutely *NOT* the same code base that runs C# applications on Windows. The fact that Microsoft "supports" it doesn't mean that a language written from the ground up for Windows is going to work flawlessly on Linux. Not unless the program being written is tested on both platforms from day one, anyway. Running on Mono is only MOSTLY the same as running C# on Windows, and those edge cases are almost guaranteed to get you if you aren't watching out for them.

I've ported a C# application to Linux before, and the patches were simple... figuring out what needed to be patched was not.