• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Enclave

Colonel
28 Badges
Jul 8, 2006
www.google.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Darkest Hour
Hello all.
I am back.
And I am back with an AAR.

Lithuania's strugle II

WiF, 1.03
Scenario - 1933.
Country – Lithuania.
Difficulty – normal
AI - furious

Since I am busy, the updates won't be frequent.
Anyways, I will try to survive as Lithuania in WiF. Since this is WiF - this AAR should be more realistic than my previous shot with Lithuania.

CHAPTER I

1933 03 04.

DIPLOMACY

Lithuania is in precarious position. After the Great war the borders of Eastern Europe were forged via military conquest, not diplomacy. Although Lithuania secured its independence, its borders are still contested.

First problem - Relations with Poland.

Since the end of 1920 Vilnius is under Polish rule. This is main thorn between the relations of the both sides.
Lithuania claims Vilnius as its Capital and Vilnius region, which are currently occupied by Poland.

Poland refutes these claims and wants normal diplomatic relations.
Since no side will back down - since 1920's no progress was made. Both sides are in armistice. No peace treaty yet signed.

Second problem - Klaipėda/ Memel region.
In 1923 Lithuania used military action to take Klaipėda/ Memel from Council of Ambassadors. Now it has full autonomy in Lithuania. But local Germans with support from Germany are displeased with Lithuanian rule - there is dissent and mistrust. Politicians of Lithuania suspect that Germany is waiting for a chance to retake its former Memel with surrounding areas.

These are the two main problems who are challenging the existence of Lithuania.
Only real ally now - Soviet Union. They support Lithuania's claims on Vilnius region, via 1920 07 12 treaty. Also they recognise Lithuania as full independent state with no claims whatsover.

Last edited:
I shall pay attention to this one :0

But you don't get it about Wilno, these lands are as polish as they are lithuanian, there should be a one state for both of our peoples concidering mutual history, space we share, culture which is far more alike than we think, besides the linguistic differences i see no problem to accomodate both of us! Seriously, do not make the same mistake and grab just Wilno, grab All of Poland and reinstitute The Commonwealth! (which woudln't be first time a Lithuanian rules over Poland)

Ericafaq, Battle bunny, Darknotez, Migthy - thanks for following.

Deus Eversor - in real life I know the history of this region.
I know that XIX century's idea of nationalism divided Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Kingdom of Poland.

But in this AAR, I, once again, sort try to feel like a nationalist from interwar period.

See Lituania's strugle I.
When I read it - I just laugh from the idiocy of my comments.

Yes, tzarist supported devide and conquer also had it's share...

So you will attempt at realistical way, then i may bear with it, just try to avoid making another Wołyń. ;)

CHAPTER II

GOVERMENT

The major shift in Lithuanian politics was in 1926 12 17. Military coup overthrew democraticly elected goverment and national authoritarian regime was installed.

President Kazys Grinius from Lithuanian Popular Peasants' Union (left) was deposed.
Antanas Smetona (right) from Lithuanian Nationalist Union became the President of Lithuania.

The main reasons for the coup were:
* cut of funding to Lithuanian military while Lithuania was in war with Poland;
* national minorities in goverment, who opened Polish schools while Lithuania was in war with Poland;
* abolishion of martial law - the emergence of communists, public disrespect to the state of Lithuania and its military while Lithuania was in war with Poland;

The coup installed Antanas Smetona as President, because he was the great compromiser, a nationalist. He managed to mitigate positions people with opposite views in order to achive a goal.

This move split the Lithuanians inside and abroad. Socialdemocrats opposed the nationalist goverment. Mostly abroad. Popular Peasant's Union and even Lithuanian Christian Democrat Party started opposing nationalists. They concentrated in Lithuania itself.
Radical socialdemocrats, called ,,Plečkaitininkai" after their leader Jeronimas Plečkaitis were different kind.

They operated in Germany, Latvia and mostly in Poland. Their methods were extreme, terrorist. Their aim was to overthrow nationalist goverment. They operated mostly from Poland, atacking Lithuanian border guards, distributing newspapers, leafleats in underground. They were a terrorist organization, who could be used by Poland to install Pro-polish goverment. Their operational base was in Gardinas (Grodno) in Gardinas castle, built by Grand duke of Lithuania - Vytautas (ruled in 1392-1430).

MILITARY

Although Lithuania is at war with Poland - the military forces are understrength.
3 infantry divisions have only 45 percent strength (5850 men per division). They have somewhat mediocare equipment, which wasn't modernised since 1926 military coup.

1 cavalry division is severely understrength - only 20 percent (2200 men) but with 1924 equipment - much better guns, that we would buy today. Now Lithuania can muster only 1921 - Independence wars' cavalry regiments.

Airforce - 35 percent strong with 1924 year model 35 planes. But the quality of the pilot training was supreme. Up to date.

The land doctrines are a mediocare. There is a discussion what to research further.

Since the military is in no shape for active military operations - it all was reorganized (changed names to Lithuanian, assigned leaders) and left in Kaunas. The most important region must be defended at all costs, because You never know...

ECONOMY

But the worst shape is in economy.
After the Great War and Independence wars Lithuania remains agricultural land with small industrial capacity - 8 IC, 1/4 of which is in Klaipėda/ Memel region.
The industry and medicine are obsolete - Great War times. Agriculture is also stagnant. Research department is non existent.

Last edited:
You don't really know what Wołyń was ;)

Well, i do not mean that you should fail, as I wish for a brother I wish for the brotherly nation all the contrary* ;)
*of course rulling out a gross loss for my nation ;)

Chapter III

Lithuania was in uneasy condition. Its situation was unresolved: conflict over Vilnius with Poland was still in the air.
Economic crisis hit hard: exports fell, prices for agriculture goods - also. The state was slowly recovering from the crisis. For the main exporters biggest obstacle was gold standard.
The manufacturers lobbyed the goverment for lower wages to compete with foreign manufacturers. The main opponent of this idea was Juozas Tūbelis Prime and Finance minister.

He was a conservative politcian, standing against fiat currency, favoring savings and investment, but not goverment intervention and weakening of the money. He was a believer in strict financial discipline and free markets.

Against him was the military. Various officers were pushing the President to expand and modernize military (Lithuania was only at truce with Poland), to resolve Vilnius region question, while Pirme minister Juozas Tūbelis was a proponent of strong economy.

After considering these main two viewpoints president Smetona went with favoring economy.
In development sector President ordered modernization of industry.

In economy state sponsored factories were underway, but mostly President insisted on easing the populace. He was cotious of popular revolt (slider move and consumer goods on IC screen).

President insisted for military to wait. Since Lithuania had no resources

and in order to strengthen international position - trade agreements with Germany and United states of America were signed. Maybe with the support from Germany, Soviet Union and United states it would be possible to pressure Poland in resolving Vilnius question. Also, a symbolic increase in cavalry was ordered. Gradual reinforcment of First cavalry division was issued. New recruits started arriving. If some trouble should arrise - Lithuania would have strong enough division to counter aggression.

Military staff left the meeting unsatisfied. The situation HAD to change, but – the President had skillfull and loyal to Lithuania commanders at his hands.

Commander of I infantry division was Vincas Vitkauskas, volunteer from Independence wars. Talented, non-old-guard.

Commander of II infantry division was Stasys Raštikis - who's wife was of niece Antanas Smetona. Ambitious. With political aspiratons.

Commander of III infatry division was Kazys Musteikis - Independence wars' veteran, volunteer, in who studied military Brussels. One of the most skilled and promising officers in Lithuania.

They were patriots, volunteers or family men. They were loyal to Lithuania, but they were persuaded to support the coup. Stasys Raštikis was a carrierist with emerging political ambitions. He was promised, further post in the military and no harm to Antanas Smetona.

Also, the change MUST be peacefull, the populace is a bit restless, communist and socialdemocrat propaganda is strong. For that Lithuanian Nationalist Union must stay in power. No socialdemocrats or communists in goverment.
Spending must increase for military without saying.

But who would take this position?

P. S. I hope You like this style of writing. I still do not want to create dialogues, since I feel I am not good enough to speak for these historic figures yet.
It is a compromise between a story full with dialogues and simple after action report.
P. S. S. I edited Chapter II - added goverment picture with ministers and sliders.

Last edited:
I wonder where these inner tensions will go. Will the Social Democrats or Communists (Assuming Stalinists) end up taking over the government via Soviet funding? Or will the Nationalist bulkhead of Lithuania fight with all her might to defend her regional claims and Political ambition?

CHAPTER IV

THE COUP OF 1933 04 01

It was decided. The coup will take place at a favorable moment not to spur international reaction.
On 1933 march 30 Germany withdrew from League of Nations and instituted undemocratic reforms shocking the World.

All World was stunned by Germany's decision.
Lithuanian military quietly, in the night of 1933 April 1 began the coup. President Antanas Smetona was isolated and a new leader having support from the military, and political far right arrived from the Norteastern town of Zarasai

He was exiled former prime minister of Lituania Augustinas Voldemaras.

He was an old firend of Antanas Smetona who fought together with him for the Independence of Lithuania. He was a Prime minister in 1918. He was a member of Lithuanian Nationalist Union founded in 1924. After the 1928 coup he used to be a prime minister in 1928-1929. Antanas Smetona's aim was to create unique style of goverment, not fascist regime, but a gentle authoritarian regime with one leader – himself as the President of Lithuania, who would nurture the nation of Lithuania into its own type of goverment - authoritarian democracy.
Augustinas Voldemaras a hard-headed individual had a different vision. He sympathysed with Italian fascists. Augustinas Voldemaras wanted more centralised state, more similar to Italy. In 1928-1929 he tried to minimise Antanas Smetona's power, to make himself, like Mussolini, the prime minister – ruler of Lithuania.
In this power strugle Augustinas Voldemaras lost to the old political fox Antanas Smetona. The latter forced the former out of prime minister's position and concentrated power in his hands. Former prime minister was exiled at first to Plateliai, later – to Zarasai, Northeastern border region of Lithuania.
While in exile he was a history teacher and remained to have lots of followers. Augustinas Voldemaras was the de-facto leader of underground ,,Iron Wolf" organisation (banned in 1930 after pushing Augustinas Voldemaras from power).
It was pro-fascist organisation, most members – junior officers symphatetic to Italian fascism. With the support of Iron Wolf organisation the coup was possible and Augustinas Voldemaras, third time in his life, was granted power to rule Lithuania. This time he took the Presidency.
During the coup Antanas Smetona was forced to step down as the President of Lithuania due ,,health issues". In order to show the peacefull change of power none of the ministers' were changed, nominally Antanas Smetona was left as the Minister of Security, though in reality he was stripped of power, but remained with Presidential pension a private citizen. He was put under surveillance but was free to travel throughout Lithuania, although under strict eye of the new President. All this was done not to disturb domestic and international situation, to show the steady continuation of power.

In short - stubborn leader with the use of force pushed out the conservative politicion who tried to path his way with compromises.

Last edited:
EVIL REVEAL YOURSELF, I COMMAND THEE
CHAPTER IV

THE COUP OF 1933 04 01

It was decided. The coup will take place at a favorable moment not to spur international reaction.
On 1933 march 30 Germany withdrew from League of Nations and instituted undemocratic reforms shocking the World.

All World was stunned by Germany's decision.
Lithuanian military quietly, in the night of 1933 April 1 began the coup. President Antanas Smetona was isolated and a new leader having support from the military, and political far right arrived from the Norteastern town of Zarasai

He was exiled former prime minister of Lituania Augustinas Voldemort'as.
Voldemort.jpg

He was an old firend of Antanas Smetona who fought together with him for the Independence of Lithuania. He was a Prime minister in 1918. He was a member of Lithuanian Nationalist Union founded in 1924. After the 1928 coup he used to be a prime minister in 1928-1929. Antanas Smetona's aim was to create unique style of goverment, not fascist regime, but a gentle authoritarian regime with one leader – himself as the President of Lithuania, who would nurture the nation of Lithuania into its own type of goverment - authoritarian democracy.
Augustinas Voldemaras a hard-headed individual had a different vision. He sympathysed with Italian fascists. Augustinas Voldemaras wanted more centralised state, more similar to Italy. In 1928-1929 he tried to minimise Antanas Smetona's power, to make himself, like Mussolini, the prime minister – ruler of Lithuania.
In this power strugle Augustinas Voldemaras lost to the old political fox Antanas Smetona. The latter forced the former out of prime minister's position and concentrated power in his hands. Former prime minister was exiled at first to Plateliai, later – to Zarasai, Northeastern border region of Lithuania.
While in exile he was a history teacher and remained to have lots of followers. Augustinas Voldemaras was the de-facto leader of underground ,,Iron Wolf" organisation (banned in 1930 after pushing Augustinas Voldemaras from power).
It was pro-fascist organisation, most members – junior officers symphatetic to Italian fascism. With the support of Iron Wolf organisation the coup was possible and Augustinas Voldemaras, third time in his life, was granted power to rule Lithuania. This time he took the Presidency.
During the coup Antanas Smetona was forced to step down as the President of Lithuania due ,,health issues". In order to show the peacefull change of power none of the ministers' were changed, nominally Antanas Smetona was left as the Minister of Security, though in reality he was stripped of power, but remained with Presidential pension a private citizen. He was put under surveillance but was free to travel throughout Lithuania, although under strict eye of the new President. All this was done not to disturb domestic and international situation, to show the steady continuation of power.

In short - stubborn leader with the use of force pushed out the conservative politicion who tried to path his way with compromises.

Sorry, i had to do it when i read the name :p :)