• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Blake00

Private
21 Badges
Nov 27, 2016
blakessanctum.x10.mx
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
Well this place is quiet lol?

If there's any fellow Warlock fans here like me who loved playing Master of Magic (the game that inspired the Warlock series) back in the day then I could use your help.

Long story short, about a year or so ago I re-installed MoM in Dosbox and loaded my old savegames from 1998 and picked up right where I left off conquering Myrran and then invading the earth like world. I spent a lot of my teenage years in the 90s playing MoM so it was so much fun to play it again all these years later. When I finally finished my game I decided to make a tribute page on my retro website paying tribute to MoM along with listing the great many successful & sadly unsuccessful MoM related fan remake/sequel projects out there to make sure that they are never forgotten and can inspire talented MoM fans to create new MoM projects in the future. I also created a list of other games out there that are similar to MoM as there are many spiritual sequels these days (obviously Warlock made the list!). For these lists I collected pics, vids, demos, and information for as many of them as possible. I could use some help from the community with this list as I'm sure there's more I don't know about. This is my latest summary of the website list below.

http://blakessanctum.x10.mx/Games/MoM/
(Note: Originally built in 2001 this website is still deliberately very late 90s early 2000s retro in design. So if you're not nostalgic for old retro websites with music, animating gifs & left click browsing then you probably won't like it)

p8lCWcO.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Master of Magic Legacy Games list (Updated 10/11/2021) :
Official MoM Games
- Master of Magic
- Civizard - Majutsu no Keifu (Official Japanese Playstation conversion of MoM)
- Caster of Magic I & II
- Master of Magic Remake (New official remake coming in 2022!)

Very Similar Games
- Age of Wonders Series
- Master of Magic Civ2 Fantastic Worlds Scenario
- Worlds of Magic / Planar Conquest
- Elemental / Fallen Enchantress / Sorcerer King Series
- Endless Legend
- Warlock Series
- Eador Series
- Deity Empires

Similar Games
- War Barons
- Last Days of Old Earth
- Armello
- Thea: The Awakening
- Dominions Series
- Conquest of Elysium Series

Sort of Similar Games
- Lords of Magic - Special Edition
- Heroes of Annihilated Empires
- Celtic Tales - Balor of the Evil Eye
- Heroes of Might & Magic Series
- Disciples Series
- Warlords Series

Fan Games/Mods
- Master of Magic - Implode's Multiplayer Edition (HD)
- Leylines
- Caster of Magic I & II
- Master of Myrror - Civ3 Conquests Mod
- Master of Mana - Civ4 BTS Mod
- Realms of Hope
- Xarvh
- Master of Magic The Resurrection
- Magic Master Project
- Magic Master Java Shell
- Master of Magic Clone
- Master of Magic .NET
- Master of Magic Restoration
- Age of Magic
- Re-Master of Magic
- Master of Magic Java Emulator
- Taranthor's Master of Magic - Civ 3 Mod
- MoM 32
- Master of Magic Spin-off Project

If you know of a game series I've missed that's very similar to MoM, a fan game based on MoM, or a large scale mod project related to MoM please let me know! :)

Last edited:
Happy new year guys! :) (if anyone is here lol) I've been working on my site and have made the following additions to the MoM related games list.

New MoM related projects added:
Last Days of Old Earth – New game similar to Master of Magic
Thea: The Awakening – New game similar to Master of Magic without tactical combat
Dominions Series – Great retro looking series similar to Master of Magic
Conquest of Elysium Series – Retro looking series (created by Dominions team) similar to MoM
Armello – New game similar to Master of Magic without tactical combat
Disciples Series – Similar to MoM & HoMM with amazing gothic artwork
Warlords Series – Classic series similar to MoM & HoMM
Leylines – Very cool looking fan made Master of Magic style game by the makers of several QFG fan games I like, so have given a full tribute page!
Re-Master of Magic – Fan made master of magic remake added to RIP section. Unfortunately went dark before I could get any files or pics.

Changes made to existing MoM content:
General – Contents menu added.
General – All back buttons changed to utilise HTML bookmarks. Now users don’t have to re-scroll down the entire page constantly! :)
General – Fixed some missing slashes in code.
General – Added HD picture links, photobucket downsized all the old ones too much grr.
General – Added Steam & Good Old Games buy links.
Master of Magic: Implode’s Multiplayer Edition – Clearly the best fan made MoM remake out there so I’ve given it a full tribute page and recorded a gameplay video.
Worlds of Magic – Added Planar Conquest sequel details
Elemental Series – Added Sorcerer King Sequel details

As always, let me know if something is missing. :)

Last edited:
Wishes to you too :) Good to see someone with similiar interests. I'm a big fan of Master of Magic and other Microprose games like Master of Orion 1/2 and most of other productions made by them + of other things in your posts and signature. In last years fantastic strategies are Dominions 4 and Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, they had really impressed me when started to play them some years ago. Also a little older and shorter to play (if one match) Solium Infernum for example. I should go sleep now so maybe i will end here for now ;)

Opps how did I miss this! Thanks man. :) Yeah I love Master of Orion series too, even the 3rd game *gasp* lol! The new 4th one looks very sexy however its not highly rated sadly, I'll still play it one day though. Hope to create a MOO games list similar to this MoM list on my website one day too.

Is Solium Infernum pretty similar to MoM? Hard to tell from its pictures. If so I'll add it to the list above. :)

If there's any good old Master of Magic fans lurking in these forums I've recently made a video touring what I feel is the best MoM fan project of all the ones I listed above, called Master of Magic – Implode’s Multiplayer Edition, a brilliant Open Source Java MoM engine rebuild that supports larger maps, up to 14 players (either Human or AI), and any modern resolution like HD 4K etc. The only it's missing is AI and some good bug fixing and polishing.

Although sadly the project has been inactive for a while now.. :(

OH MY GOD!!! :O

Looks like I don't have to worry about that unfinished fan remake anymore as it appears we've got an official Master of Magic sequel or Remake on way (courtesy of Slitherine who've bought the rights from Atari's IP dungeon and just made the announcement on their site)!!!

Guess this explains the mysterious Atari activities I noticed recently. Clearly they reacquired MoM so they could sell it to Slitherine for $$$.

I'm such a super fan of this 25 year old game that I run a MoM fans facebook group so as you can image I'm SUPER EXCITED about this news lol. :)

I can't can't believe that after all these years a real sequel just might be happening now. Sadly most of the old MoM forums are long dead so if there's any fans here who know of a good old MoM2 wishlist/feature request list out there please let me know and I'll go post it over on the Slitherine forums (which I've just signed up to).

They've probably barely started the project yet so now is the time to get fan feature requests and wish list items in front of their faces. If the remaining fan base doesn't speak up now then god knows what sort of game we'll end up with. So now is the time to act!

Forgot to say that as well as posting other peoples wish lists & suggestions I of course also gave them a copy of my own personal wish list below:

• BIG ONE - More than 4 enemy players. Implode's MoM HD Multiplayer Remake allowed EVERY wizard in one game for super 14 player games which would have bee EPIC and so much fun had he finished the project.
• Larger maps (Insectiside fan patch added huge map size to the original)
• Limited Spying (most fantasy rpgs have thieves/rogues so it fits and stealing spells would be fun)
• Time limit and bigger cost on time stop spell (if you're planning on having that annoying spell again)
• Demand or give cities in Diplomacy (most 4x games have this now and I like using it to play god/peacekeep and save bullied Civs and minor factions from deaths door)
• Expand Grey Neutral Faction into lots of minor factions with identities and race affiliations (eg a minor Elven race with a minor elf wizard that likes Elven main civs and makes trouble for others.. this is another thing done in modern 4x fantasy and space games)
• More worlds and/or an underground world (although this has already been done before in AoW, HoMM & Warlock series)
• More ocean content eg HoMM series filled oceans with shipwreck lairs and treasures (even Morrowind had underwater caves filled with creatures and treasure so this is not new to fantasy games). You could even have a Merfolk faction with cities in the ocean. The fun Fantasy and Midgard scenarios for Civilization 2 Test of Time had a good underwater Merfolk faction with lots of sea based units/creatures.
• Not essential but some cool weather effects would be a fun immersion factor (especially as you can tie spells into them for gameplay events such as huge storms and earthquakes etc). The Official Playstation remake of Master of Magic has clouds rolling over and some cool weather effects from spells. The new Civ6 addon Gathering Storm is another good example of world changing weather effects.
• Talk to Seravy, he's da man on all things MoM and the creator of the super popular MoM overhaul mod Caster of Magic

EDIT: BIG NEWS! Slitherine have indeed spoken to Seravy as they releasing his Caster of Magic as an official DLC to Master of Magic on Steam and GoG!!!

EDIT2: On top of that Slitherine have also now setup an official Master of Magic forum! And they've kindly moved my ever growing MoM2 wishlist thread into there too. :)

EDIT3:
And if all that isn't enough Seravy has hinted that he is working on a Caster of Magic 2! A full MoM rebuild in a new engine with all of CoM's changes built in and much more due to being free of the old games limitations. Eg full 14 wizard salughterfest games!!

Last edited:
Ctr+F. No, https://www.mobygames.com/game/master-of-monsters
It's worth the nostalgia trip. Back in 1988 they had TBS perfected in under 300KB of data. Simple best-first pathfinding and a list of spell and summoning counter strategies per AI wizard. 30 years later and it's the same game with a lot more eye candy, more details, and worse play ability in my opinion.
CIV2 Migard scenario was awesome. You've really covered the genre. There are a half dozen SSI/TSR titles that would fit the description like Stronghold and Fantasy Empires. Holistic's Hammer of the Gods definitely deserves mention. I've lost my imagination which made fantasy fun for me but, they're still worth a play through when I'm bored and braindead which is pretty often these days.
P.S. Your website address requires a www.* prefix. It is awesome.

Last edited:
Ctr+F. No, https://www.mobygames.com/game/master-of-monsters
It's worth the nostalgia trip. Back in 1988 they had TBS perfected in under 300KB of data. Simple best-first pathfinding and a list of spell and summoning counter strategies per AI wizard. 30 years later and it's the same game with a lot more eye candy, more details, and worse play ability in my opinion.
CIV2 Migard scenario was awesome. You've really covered the genre. There are a half dozen SSI/TSR titles that would fit the description like Stronghold and Fantasy Empires. Holistic's Hammer of the Gods definitely deserves mention. I've lost my imagination which made fantasy fun for me but, they're still worth a play through when I'm bored and braindead which is pretty often these days.
P.S. Your website address requires a www.* prefix. It is awesome.

Ahh cool I've never seen that game before. Thanks!

Thanks! It should work without the www though.

Meanwhile the good news keeps coming for MoM fans. After years Implode has returned from his self imposed exile (think kungfu movie where the bad guy bests the good guy so the good guy climbs up a mountain and learns better kungfu with some old guy with a grey beard who never speaks and then the good guy comes back and kicks the bad guys ass lol) and released a new version of his HD Multiplayer remake of Master of Magic with for the first time FUNCTIONING AI!! This is the moment many like me have been waiting/hoping for.. hopefully people try it and give him some feedback!

Announcement: https://mom.pjj.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9815

Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/momime/files/

Big news! Looks like Seravy's Caster of Magic 2 (possibly renamed to 'Caster of Magic for Windows' now probably by Slitherine lol) is coming out of private beta and going public on steam soon.

What is also very interesting is that it says on the announcement that it supports custom resizable windows and presumably resolutions! I'll try to confirm that since that would be awesome news as Seravy had zero interest in higher viewing resolutions when I last talked to him about it (eg he was gonna keep it at 320x200 still lol). Maybe Slitherine or all his beta testers kept pestering him about it and he found a way to do it lol. Either way it's great news. Modern resolutions plus full 13 Wizard slaughterthon games are gonna be epic! Have wishlisted! Before anyone asks no it is not multiplayer lol (try Master of Magic - Implodes Multiplayer edition remake for that).

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1146370/announcements/detail/3055100754907446252

Seravy's new Caster of Magic 2 (or Caster of Magic for Windows as Slitherine are calling it) has been officially released on Steam, GoG & Slitherine's own store a few days ago! Sadly my hopes for modern resolutions were dashed (it just stretches 320x200 in a window) so Implodes fan game above is still the only one that does true HD stuff, however CoM has so many other benefits eg a gazillion bug fixes & balance changes, super smart AI opponents, more spells, more buildings, more advanced game modes & options, and best of all NO MORE 5 PLAYER LIMIT!! So umm 14 Wizards going at it in one game? Yes please!

Feel free to drop by the Master of Magic fans Facebook and Discord groups to discuss. Seravy himself is kindly answering questions and bug reports on the discord too!

I know some people aren't huge fans of CoM's changes but maybe Slitherine will take Seravy's new engine source and do a 'MoM for Windows' one day too. Probably wishful thinking but you never know!

Familiar but not quite the same ;)
ss_f9549511e095de9fe84f7ecf6482e767554d4900.jpg

14 Wizard carnage incoming
ss_cbeeb7461447e21de59812e476b39ceb2b232d13.jpg

Cool new options
ss_66825770fe5fe4b7a908086a3a6b925d4efc1508.jpg

Looks the same but apparently the new combat AI is naaaasty
ss_c465669d0383f1f1d06bfe447903ff6e2b5895da.jpg

A little late to the party with this even bigger news but OMG lol.. After 25 years of nothing it really is an amazing time for us diehard Master of Magic fans! There I was a few weeks ago getting excited about Seravy’s new Caster of Magic 2 for Windows release and then something even more amazing got officially announced, as we finally have confirmation of the Slitherine mystery MoM project I’ve posted about here before! Slitherine are working with Thea series creators MuHa games on a Official Master of Magic Remake!!! MuHa are a small indie studio so sure enough it's nothing AAA however the new remake already looks and sounds pretty good! I can already see people complaining about the hexes and lack of multiplayer but neither of those bother me. You can find the announcement videos (they've remade the old intro!), some nice pictures, and game info on their new Steam and GoG pages!

But I'll stick a few here too! :)

Trailer/Intro:

Dev Interview:

Been a while so I thought I'd update the list in the OP..

Created a new Official MoM games section/category to better match the website now that we're getting all these official releases from Slitherine. Naturally original MoM itself was already there but now I've added the old Playstation 1 conversion Civizard, the new official Master of Magic Remake, and copied over Caster of Magic I & II from the fan section since Slitherine has made them official addons. By request I've also added Deity Empires to the very similar games section too.

Some of these updates haven't been made on my MoM website yet but I'll get to it eventually. At least this list is up to date again though lol!

Oh and I completely forgot to check out that Master of Monsters game Geoff suggested above so I'll get to that soon too!

Thanks to everyone who's contacted me publicly and privately with suggestions. :)

Haven't updated this thread in a while with all the latest official Master of Magic remake dev diaries and I thought I'd better post about their latest 9th dev diary as that has a application link for people to apply to be involved in beta testing! So if there's any lurking MoM fans here who want in on that, go apply now!

Ninth Dev diary:
http://muhagames.com/master-of-magic-dev-diary-9/

devdiary-march1.jpg

For those who haven't seen all the previous dev diaries here they are...

Eight dev diary
http://muhagames.com/master-of-magic-dev-diary-8-february-2022/

eyui-1.png

Seventh dev diary
http://muhagames.com/master-of-magic-dev-diary-7-january-2022/

rryyy.png

Sixth dev diary
http://muhagames.com/mom-dev-diary-6-december-2021/

jfff.png

Fifth dev diary
http://muhagames.com/dev-diary-5-november-2021/

ssdgh.png