List of features that will not transition from CK2 to CK3

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Black Turtle

Major
17 Badges
Aug 29, 2017
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II
merchant republics

nomads

off map China

dynamic epidemics

inventory/item system

UI appearance differences per religion

769 start

late start dates

anti-pope

investiture

secret societies

Great works (except for historical monuments)

warrior lodge

decadence

flanks in armies

levied ships

non-infantry unit models such as elephants/cavalry

Last edited:
I am assuming that the first 3 are removed because they didn't like the current systems and want to take some time after release to get them right. epidemics and an inventory I am sorry to see go. I never liked the different UI when playing non-christians, so I am glad to see that go. 769 was interesting, but too much was guess work. Also, Charles the Great only formed the HRE about 1 time in 10 and it never fell apart properly.

I am assuming that the first 3 are removed because they didn't like the current systems and want to take some time after release to get them right. epidemics and an inventory I am sorry to see go. I never liked the different UI when playing non-christians, so I am glad to see that go. 769 was interesting, but too much was guess work. Also, Charles the Great only formed the HRE about 1 time in 10 and it never fell apart properly.
They evidently didn't like the way epidemics worked, either, so I expect they're going to reintroduce those at some point.

I am glad China is gone. I won’t miss 769 as it was mostly fantasy leaders as not enough was known about a lot of the map. 867 is what matters with Basil I of the empire of the romans

Ships as a levied force.

I'm glad we're not getting Off-Map powers; makes me hopeful we get most of East Asia as DLC before CKIV.

The only feature not coming back that I think should is Epidemics, especially since the various Plagues and Black Death were very important to Medieval Life, but I expect them to come back (hopefully as freeLC, not DLC).

I hope we still get 1066 alongside 867. Yes the Viking Age is fun, but having to start every game of -Crusader Kings- as a just starting nation will be weird. I liked it over time in CK2 because it gave me more time to personalize and build out my nation in the ways I wanted, but 1066 is good for just having a nation in a turbulent time. Especially if you want to start as a larger ruler like King of France, William, etc.

Epidemics is a bit sad. I realize they weren't done great in CK2, but I was hoping them do them justice with CK3. The Black Death in particular should destroy the economy of the world, and be utterly terrifying. It'd be a great endgame event/enemy if built core. Like yeah it sucks to have all your plans collapse, but also the Black Death should be a shakeup of the board to force the player to adapt and dramatically change the situations.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I hope we still get 1066 alongside 867. Yes the Viking Age is fun, but having to start every game of -Crusader Kings- as a just starting nation will be weird. I liked it over time in CK2 because it gave me more time to personalize and build out my nation in the ways I wanted, but 1066 is good for just having a nation in a turbulent time. Especially if you want to start as a larger ruler like King of France, William, etc.
They've said that 867 and 1066 are the two definite start dates and they're planning on having a few others, but haven't pinned down which yet.

epidemics
Dynamic epidemics are gone. Black Death is probably in the game, but not in the form like in CK2.
Characters will still get sick with various diseases, and there will be a court physician to treat you.

Huh the inventory/item syetem not returning is kinda disappointing, that was one of my fave features from the later dlcs. Hopefully they add another variant of it later on then. Not too sad to see anything else going though.merchants were kinda OP and nomads imo werent too much fun. And epidemics kinda got tiring after a while. It got patched up well enough though.

The fleet raising change is interesting though, I'd like to hear their reasoning behind that.

I hope the 936 bookmark is not among them. :eek:

What I think we'll see after release in DLC/updates:
Reworked merchant republics and nomads
Investiture and Antipopes
Reworked epidemics
Clothing Pack DLCs (I hope they'll not squeeze too much money out of them)

I don't know if the inventory system will make a comeback soon, but maybe a year or so down the line I think we'll have it, especially if they're planning to have 3D objects too.
The same I think for secret societies and lodges, especially since they may require specific clothings and objects.

I don't really know if 769 will come back too, personally I liked playing as a minor in 769 with all the blobs around me, so I hope they can bring this date back too.

I hope the 936 bookmark is not among them. :eek:

Well it is confirmed that the Old Gods 867 start will be in game... so I think 936 will be too?

How does this game handle ships?
apparently it's like CK1 and you pay a fee to ship your troops, rather than raising boat levies. this is actually more historically accurate anyway, since there were not boats sitting around to be levied from vassals in this period and instead a temporary navy would be paid for/created to ship troops. I suppose you can roleplay too that they were rented from some naval power or something, I don't know

I loved nomads in CK2, the dynamic clans and the packup-and-go capital were very unique features that made for interesting emergent gameplay. Having to (almost) always burn everything to nothing felt gamey and ahistorical (i.e. the Mongols ruled by fear, reputation and word of mouth, sometimes leaving no-one alive, sometimes sparring those they deemed of use and occasionally letting cities surrender unscathed). The horde population feature was also not fully formed (it would take you ages to reach optimal population for a small permanent horde, but then you were completely unstoppable). Since it's gone, I hope they build on it and make even better eventually - the life of a steppe nomad is radically different from that of a settled tribesman, so it'll be an abstraction that requires a very healthy and vivid imagination until then.

Decadence for Muslims is confirmed not to come back too (thank God).

Merchant republics and nomada were controversial /broken, I assume they'll be reworked into something far better.

Off map China was strange mechanic and lack of it gives hope of real China.

769 start date was IMO terrible. HRE rarely formed, islam completely dominated (but in the same time was annoying to play due to crazy amount of yet unconvertedyt land), christianity failed, half of Europe was guesswork, well known states failed to form, you were too far from interesting historical events etc.

Customizable post 1066 start dates was terrible, a ton of dev work and bugs and almost nobody played them.

Warrior lodge and societies were overpowered and gave you too easy way to turn your char into superhuman (also very repetitive after a while).

I'm pretty sure they will turn antipope and investiture into something much cooler.

The only things I can miss are dynamic epidemics, inventory and great works.