• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Technically moving from Mac to Linux is "easy" - we will be making Linux a priority as go along. So sooner or later all games where it's technically/financially feasible to do Linux will see linux support.

/s

Hi,

we're still trying to squeeze it into the schedule - we've got other things in the pipeline.

The tricky thing with linux is that it's EXTREMELY important to a fairly small group of people - but new functionality/bug fixing is beneficial for everyone. The problem is that it's the same devs who have to make both things. Bandwidth is limited.

So we can't commit to a date - but we're looking into it.

Regards,

Shams

Problem is that while we could/want to do it - linux userbase is really, really, really tiny. Almost less than 1% of sales come from Linux-users. It makes it very hard to justify ports. But we haven't made a decision yet.

Why aren't there more of you?

/shams

It's true the Linux userbase isn't huge yet, although it looks to be growing. Also, wouldn't some of those sale numbers be inaccurate due to some people buying games before they have released on Linux and using Steamplay?

Personally think it'd be a great game to have on Linux. For one just to me, it looks like fun. Also, there aren't very many games of this genre available on Linux currently. Having more games and more diverse genres (other than fps and platformers) could help the Linux userbase, as well as being a fairly unique game for this platform currently.

In terms of technical issues, dosen't the move to Unity 4 at least take a chunk out of the time required to get the game working? I know it's an extra platform that you'll need to support and maintain though.

You are only considering the technical costs - there are many, many other costs involved with prepping and deploying a game for an additional platform. Additionally it also means that we'll be obliged to keep supporting the platform for future updates. So whenever we patch the game, add content or do anything we have to make sure it properly tested. Adding a 3rd platform increases costs by almost a third.

Let's say for a moment the numbers are inaccurate - let's be generous and say the actual figure is double that we're seeing -we'd STILL be hard pressed to add linux when given the option to add other content/gameplay to the game.

I'm still going to try to make it happen - but now you might understand why it's not a top priority in the long list of exciting and fun stuff to for CIM :)

/shams

Haven’t made a decision? I thought you were planning a Linux version.

Ok, I understand Linux market is smaller than Windows or Mac OS X, but you made a Mac OS X port and if you've seen some Humble Indie Bundle sales, you might noticed Linux payments are always the highest. As to the number of sales, it differs. Windows always wins and Linux and Mac seems to be very much equal since sometimes Linux wins, sometimes Mac OS X wins. The number of users does not necessarily correlate with the number of gamers.

I will add one big argument. If Linux desktop user base is not large enough (even though there even could be more gamers than on Mac OS X), what about Linux based Valve gaming console? Also, Alienware recently started selling Linux gaming computers with Ubuntu and Steam preinstalled. Do you really want to miss that oportunity?

Please, I am asking you to make a Linux port, because I love your game and I love my platform. It would be really a shame not to make a Linux version. I can understand your concerns, but I expect sells from the Linux version would return much more than what it would cost you to make a port. Also, you would partially do a charity job (not talking about money), since by porting the game and making it available on Steam, you would give the signal to other developers you are not afraid of supporting a new platform. That may not seem important for you, but it is for most Linux gamers. By making a Linux port I suspect even some people not interested in the game would purchase it, just because it is available for Linux. It would be a great advertisement for you in the Linux community and you can bet I would not only purchase it, but even write about it in a positive way on Google+ and on my blog.

Thank you very much for telling us the news. I hope that you will reconsider our wish, count in Valve's gaming console and the great things Linux had experienced in the last year.

Planning yes - deciding when and how to do it - that's another thing.

Linux payments are definitely higher in the humble bundle - but sadly Steam doesn't allow for a "pay what you want"-option and participating in a Humble Bundle isn't something that magically happens just because we have linux. I know - because I talk to the HB-guys regularly.

A steambox you say? Again Steam is an important partner so rest assured we're on top of stuff that's happening there as well. The actual porting act doesn't take long - so if a Steambox appears and suddenly gets widespread adoption there won't be a problem for us to jump on the band wagon quickly - no opportunity will be lost.

Zubozrout: I hear you - we'll definitely have everything you say in mind. But I want you to understand that it's never that simple - no matter how much you and other Linuxers want to happen.

The more people buy our OTHER linux games the more inclined we'll be to port CIM and other PDX games.

/shams

How do you know that? How do you know that I am or am not a Linux User (for the record I am, but I use Windows exclusively for gaming).

Through steam we get reports on users/platforms. The reports are very accurate.

/shams

Don't you only get the reports of what users bought your game - meaning only the amount of users that bought the game from Windows/Linux/Mac? If that is so and the game is available only on Windows and Mac, Linux can't be expected to be much visible in the charts. If purchasing CiM2 from a Linux Steam client would persuade you to create a Linux port in a reasonable time, then I would be buying one for sure :)

We also get reports on which platforms are getting played. Steam has a very accurate way of determining which OS is the most prevalent one played with.

The data is not wrong, you my friend are in a very, very small but vocal minority :/

/shams

I think the major issue here being that there aren't many games for Linux, that's why most Linux users have a windows install to game.. So, nobody creates games for Linux because there aren't any Linux gamers, and there aren't many Linux gamers because there are no games.. See the vicious cycle here?

Yep. Thankfully someone with deep pockets like Valve can go first and break the cycle by introducing Linux to a wider audience - the rest of us will follow suit after.

/shams

It's not up to colossal - we're paying for after all :)

We're going to review the case one more time after summer vacations.

Like I mentioned in the live stream yesterday; We don't expect to make money off a linux port - but we want at least to be able to break even. Considering the install base is so small it's hard to do even that.

I'm going to fight for you (us) a bit more and see where we end up. We just released Teleglitch - another game with Linux support - so we're looking closely at that as an indicator of Linux-install base.

/shams

Wouldn't Crusader Kings II and EUIV be good for stats related to Linux as well?

Would be great to see Linux support for this, then we'd be able to play this and Tropico 5 :)

Both have about 1.1% Linux adoption - so I really hope not :(

/shams

How is that counted? I probably bought both games on Windows, but now I am playing them on Linux. There are still people reluctant to move to Linux because so few games are there.

IIRC - A: OS used to buy game and then B: which OS was used to play the game in (on average) - B overrides A if enough game time is logged.

So all you Linux gamers - you want to support the cause - buy on Linux and play on Linux - which I kinda don't get why you're not doing already if you're so adamant about this OS.

/shams

Is there already an ETA you can share for Linux release? If I understand it well, CiM is almost ready and even though I would much rather like to play it's successor, there will be at least something I can enjoy while waiting for CiM2 to be released. Thanks.

Unfortunately due to...challenges with game development there isn't a timeline we can commit to currently. It will be ready when it's done. Don't hold your breath.

/shams

Don't hold any breaths.

It happens when it happens.

Sorry I can't be more specific - but remember the dev team is small and we've got a gajillion other things on our plate. We'll try to get around to this soon - but I honestly don't know when that is.

Regards,

Shams