• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BloodyDeed

Recruit
2 Badges
Jan 10, 2014
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
Hello,

The Linux version of Cities in Motion crashes a lot.
It's pretty much unplayable, the crashes happen after a few minutes of gaming when trying to build something (doesn't really matter if a stop or a rail).

There are also several ways to reproduce the crashes immediately.
Start the tutorial and build a bus stop -> crash.

that's the log, sadly there is nothing about the crashes:
Opened log in "userdata/log_metro.txt".
Version: 1.0.22
initializing FMOD...
[done]
initializing OpenGL-window...
Loaded language "en_US"
Engine initialization finished
User folder: /home/marcel/.local/share
Loading ui...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/mappack01"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/munich"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/vehiclepack04"...
[done]
Loading achievements...
[done]
Loading main menu...
[done]
Steam initialized
Start scenario "userdata/saves/Campaign/level.scenario"
Loading game...
[done]
Saving game as "Campaign"...
[done]

Was able to start the program through command line and this happened:
VSync: 0
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 73010
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561197990377150 [API loaded no]
Floating point exception (core dumped)

I know the intel chip isn't made for gaming and I know it's unsupported but other people report crashes as well:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/73010/discussions/0/630802344242357037/
I don't really care about performance but the game just crashing all the time is really annoying.
Apart from that the game runs very well on that chip, FPS are way above 50 with the correct settings.

Thinkpad X1C, i7-3667U Ivybridge, 8GB RAM, Intel HD4000
Arch Linux 64Bit, Kernel 3.12.7, Mesa 10.0.1, Intel Driver

Last edited:
I have the same behavior. The game is unplayable because it crashes after a few minutes.
And if I choose to play the tutorial it always crashes as soon as I build a bus stop.

I also tried to reduce graphic features to the minimum, but the crashes still happen.

Hardware; HP Pavillion dv5, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600M GT/PCIe/SSE2

Same thing here. Game crashes 100% of the times in the tutorial when trying to place the Bus stop or when trying to apply a filter to the map.

Unlike the original poster, I'm using a dedicated GFX card: GeForce GTX 770M.
I'm running it on a laptop with Optimus but I'm using the following command to start the game to ensure it uses the dedicated one instead of the integrated:
primusrun steam steam://rungameid/73010

Ubuntu 12.04 fully up to date, using Bumblebee (optirun), Primus on top of Bumblebee (primusrun), proprietary NVidia drivers currently at version nvidia_325.

Any other information needed (ex: lspci, lshw, logs, etc), please ask.
Has anyone ever managed to get past this issue?

I'm sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately the Intel graphic cards are not supported.

For the other cards this is most likely a driver issue, if they meet the system requirements. Did you look for a solution from nVidia already?

No I haven't checked for a solution on NVidia yet.
Shouldn't I collect some logs first where I might find an error description? Can you give me some hints at where to look for error logs for CiM?

Also, is there any known-to-work version of NVidia's drivers? (I know it likely depends on the GFX card but that info would be better than just trying new driver versions at random)
Also, is it known-to-work at all in laptops with Optimus?

By the way, almost all other games run between flawlessly and just minor gliches, including CiM 2 itself (awesome game - congratulations - but I still think I'll prefer CiM 1), so if it is a driver issue it has got to be some unusual usage.

I was able to solve this problem on elementary (Ubuntu derivative) by installing the propriety video drivers. In my case (Radeon HD 5800) this was
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic fglrx fglrx-amdcccle
sudo amdconfig --initial
then rebooting. Everything has been just peachy since!